Random Chat!!! (All Welcome!)

Comments

• Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,764MI6 Agent
    edited October 2021

Childhood friends warned the police against the arrested man for four years, but so far the police haven't replied to questions about what they did with this information (if anything). The man is now turned over to the health services while the investigating continues. I guess the court will decide if the man was accountable for his actions at the time of the crime. My take on everything is that the killer was mentally ill for years and his illness and agression happened to find an outlet through radical islam. It could easily have been radical far-right ideology or conspiracy theories.

edited October 2021

I'm not going to make much more of the tragedy in Kongsberg, but here is an update. The who incident looks less like terrorism and more and more like a mental health issue. It also looks like all of the murder victims weren't killed by arrows, but by some kind of knife. The killer wasn't a skilled archer, he was a novice with a beginner's bow and arrows.

Two big questions emerge:

-Why didn't the police do more to help the mentally disturbed man? They for warnings for about six years.

- The three police patrols reached the Coop within minutes after he started firing arrows at people. The officers tried to stop him there, but pulled put to get better armour for themselves in spite of all the civilians in danger inside. Then it seems like the police stood waiting outside, er soting for their hemets and better armour, forgetting to cover all the doors. The attackers escaped, and the police hunted him for about thirty minutes until they managed to arrest him. It was in this time period he killed five people, en entering people's homes to kill them.

I have a suspicion of what happend. Norwegian police are very good at social relations, de-escalating dangerous sitiations and negotiationg. You only need to look at murder rates and other crime statistics to understand this is nearly always a great success. But in these situations the police need to enter "soldier mode". Their job may require them to put themselves in extreme danger and even kill to protect civilians. It looks like the police officers didn't manage to change their mental state in time in Kongsberg, much like at Utøya ten years ago. There two police men wearing armour and armed with pistols and submachineguns hid behind boathouses on the mainland while civilians were risking their lives using their boats to save the fleeing kids in the water. The two officers thought their job was directing traffic while waiting for SWAT from Oslo.

• CoolHandBondCoolHandBond Mactan IslandPosts: 6,153MI6 Agent

The cinemas are re-opening soon here after a year of being closed. Hopefully will be able to see NTTD soon 😁

Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.

We went to Fort San Pedro yesterday. Dating back to 1565 it has a long history and now houses a museum with lots of Spanish artefacts, paintings, sculptures and documents.

edited November 2021

Beauty pageants are still very popular here in the Philippines and a lovely Filipina has just been crowned Miss Globe 2021.

• chrisno1chrisno1 LondonPosts: 3,238MI6 Agent

Nice. Interesting pendant.

• Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,669MI6 Agent

Beautiful pictures there, @CoolHandBond! Thanks for sharing. 🙂

"The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).

When in the Phillipines, one should delve deeply into it's treassures.

It’s 8 years to the day that Supertyphoon Yolanda wreaked havoc on Leyte and the neighbouring island of Cebu and the rest of the eastern Visayas. Thousands died in what, at the time, was dubbed “The Worst Storm In History”.

I had arrived in Cebu only 2 days earlier, in search of a house after retiring from the bookshop that I ran. We were safely ensconced in the Marco Polo hotel, but watched the events from the windows.

The picture above shows the mass grave in Tacloban, Leyte, which contains 2200 bodies from the event. Before sunset, church bells in Eastern Visayas simultaneously pealed to commemorate those who died during the supertyphoon.

• BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,212Chief of Staff

That was a huge tragedy. Unfortunate timing on your part, but you got through it.

A brothel in Wienna offers one free gift card for a single visit to their place of business to anyone who takes a Covid-19 vaccine. I hear vaccination is slow in some countries, including the US. Has the Biden administration considered using this incentive? 🙂

So, cinemas are still closed here and NTTD is now available to rent on Amazon Prime. Do I forgo my lifetime record of seeing every Bond movie at the cinema upon release, yes I am that old 😂, or do I wait a bit longer to enjoy it as it should be seen?

I'm glad I didn't have to make that decision!

You can run into all sorts of types while shopping groceries for the weekend.

• caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,929MI6 Agent

try living in Canada, where huge gaggles of our geese routinely jaywalk en masse and bring traffic to a halt!

are they really too stupid to ever learn what cars can do, or do they just have attitude like Dustin Hoffman in Midnight Cowboy?

is your goose a wild goose or an escaped farm goose? he does have a tag on his leg

edited November 2021

Just to be clear, that's a wild swan. As you can see in the bottom photo the swan is marked with rings om the legs for science. We have goose too, mostly wild ones, but probably not as much as Canada. There are geese in the river running through the nearest small town and they sometimes form a line and cross the road. But this doesn't happen often enough to be a problem. Animals can get incredibly used to cars. When I was young and the local road was scenic and dangerous, goats used to spend a lot of time on the road. They barely looked up if a vehicle was coming. We learnt to keep rolling very slowly, but only to stop if neccessary. Then the goats moved away very slowly, like snotty school children ordered to get off a bench.

• caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,929MI6 Agent

ah OK, we have a few wild swan here too but I've never seen one in a parking lot. whereas the Canada Goose blocking traffic in vast hordes is a common site.

its funny I watch the behaviour of tiny little birds and they seem quite intelligent, and then I see these great big geese and does their brain do anything at all? they just saunter round obliviously waiting to follow the leader. and yet their brains can navigate them 1000s of kilometres every winter, so I guess they just have different priorities.

edited November 2021

I haven't seen a swan in a parking lot before either. It seemed calm and used to people. It didn't mind me standing 6-7 feet away. Navigating north and south for the seasons is more down to instincts and senses we don't have than intelligence.

I'm reading an update about the horrible tragedy in Waukesha, Wisconsin. My thoughts are of cource with the victims and their families.

This was horrible, as you say. What a terrible world we live in.

• JoshuaJoshua Posts: 1,138MI6 Agent

I saw this footage. There was a little girl dancing at the road side as the car went past at speed. It chilled my blood to see her come so close to death.

There can never be any justification for such senseless acts of violence, but somewhere in his twisted mind, the man responsible must have thought he had some reason? I was wondering if he thought it was some way in retaliation for the young gunman being found not guilty?

On another thread somewhere, @Number24 was listing some humorous book titles. The ones listed below are actually real books which were published at that time but I don’t think they would be today!

Shag The Pony (1952)

British Tits (1979) (An authoritative book on birds of the feathered kind.)

Games You Can Play With Your Pussy (1982)

My Big Book Of Pretty Pussies (1965)

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

edited December 2021

I'd like to congratulate Demitri Murakov and Maria Ressa who are recieving the Nobel peace prize today. A free press is key to democracy and our freedom. Let's hope the Nobel prize will protect them in the future. It's needed. Several of the journalists working in Muratov's newspaper has been murdered. Ressa often recieves death threaths.

A typhoon is approaching so we have moved from our house on Mactan to our condo in Cebu City which affords more protection. The projected path is directly over us and everyone is preparing to batten down the hatches. Time of arrival in is estimated to be Thursday afternoon/evening. Hopefully it will veer away before it hits us but it’s not looking likely. It’s the 15th typhoon to hit the Philippines this year but the first to directly hit the Mactan/Cebu City area, we have only had the edges of some of the previous ones this year.

The view from our balcony - the calm before the storm - I will post more pictures when things change.

• Charmed & DangerousCharmed & Dangerous Posts: 7,358MI6 Agent

Good luck CHB, I hope it's a mild event.

"How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."

Good luck!

• The Spy Who Never DiesThe Spy Who Never Dies UKPosts: 644MI6 Agent
    edited December 2021

This post is not meant to judge anyone but to offer a perspective that some of you may not have considered.

This thread comes under the heading of Off Topic Chat (the place to talk about absolutely anything you like “within reason”. Does the sexist joke post #18011 above fall into the category of “within reason”? As a woman, I would say not. (I have sent a non judgemental, hopefully friendly PM to the poster explaining that I’m doing this)

You may not be aware of how a man’s choice of language when referring to female body parts can undermine a woman’s or girl’s dignity. Would you want your mother, sister, wife/girlfriend, niece, daughter etc to be in a situation where she feels like this? Some of you have daughters, granddaughters and nieces who are children. Is this want you want for them now or as they get older? Don’t they deserve better? It may have been seen to be “accepted” for decades but the Me Too movement has clearly shown this is not the case. To live in the past hinders the future.

Think about this scenario: you have a 12 year old daughter/niece/ granddaughter who lets say loves badminton and is thrilled to be on a team. There are boys on the team too and they start making jokes about the female body, using language that upsets her. Maybe you pick her up one evening from badminton and you notice that she’s upset and you ask why. Let’s also say for the sake of my point that she tells you why (as often girls don’t, partly because it can make them feel ashamed). What are you going to tell her? Are you going to tell her that it’s just boys being boys and she should try to ignore it/put up with it and that if she can’t then the problem is hers and not the boys? That she better get used to it because when she’s a woman she’ll probably hear a lot more? What if she just feels too uncomfortable with the jokes and decides to leave the badminton team? Are you going to think she’s over-reacting?

Again, I am not passing judgement and hope it doesn’t come across like I am. I’m merely attempting to bring it to men’s attention in the hope that you will at least try to think about it from a woman/girl’s perspective. It is after all, their bodies you are referencing. What if teenage girls or young women after seeing NTTD decide to look up Bond sites and come here? Would you be ok with them seeing your jokes that, while fun to you, might be demeaning to them? Jokes that you probably forget the next day but might stay with them a lot longer.

When the next Bond film comes out, audiences will have a younger element as well as established fans of many years. New younger Bond fans might join AJB or lurk. Are some of you older men ok with “teaching” the younger men and teenage boys that it’s ok to make jokes and comments about the female body in such a way?

I’m sure I don’t need to tell you guys that the female body is beautiful! 🙂 Why not teach the younger men/boys how to be respectful about it instead of using derogatory words that make a woman feel anything but beautiful? Wouldn’t that be a great legacy for older Bond fans to pass down to younger ones?

I realise that not all men here tell these jokes and might not like them either. They might make you feel uncomfortable too, like it does me.

I used to post here up until this time last year but I left because of the Boys’ Club mentality and how coming across jokes like this, made me feel uncomfortable. As men you have no idea how it can make a woman feel. How can you?

Because I had started to form friendships in the PM section, I hang out there instead. (Sadly, a couple of those guys don’t post on AJB anymore.) After a while, I would occasionally read the odd book or film review but stayed clear of most of the forum, including all Bond related stuff. As a Bond fan, that’s tough.

When NNTD came out, I, like everyone else, wanted to connect with other Bond fans to discuss it and find out what everyone thought. I read a lot of the posts. I then, forgetting to be careful, found myself in this thread! And read enough of the joke before I realised the content.

This post is one woman’s take on things, simply offering a different view from my spot on the globe. Hire me or fire me. It’s entirely up to you! 

Spy

welcome back @The Spy Who Never Dies ... I'd been wondering where you've been?

we need more women in our gang. If you posted more I'm sure others would feel more comfortable following your example and we'd be less of a frat-house. In real life I would never want to hang out with a big crowd of all lads talking lad talk.

I read plenty of comments here that I don't like, probably different than the ones you don't like, but its a shared experience. I just ignore those lines of discussion, because the important thing is our shared interests in James Bond and associated topics. The internet is full of too many people arguing as it is, and I'm here for the escapism.

If you've seen the new film, please come post a review and participate in some of the debates we're having round No Time to Die! we're starting to go in circles and need a new voice to shake us up.

also, note the very next post CoolHand made following the one being commented on, is him telling us he and his wife are making emergency preparations for an approaching typhoon. That sort of real life situation is much more important than what book titles he thinks are funny, and I sure hope he survives the weather unscathed!

Typhoon update:

About 12-15 hours before the eye hits. Wet and windy at the moment.