Pink Panther (1963) watchalong on Friday 29. of October at 8 PM GMT!

Comments

• Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,699MI6 Agent

If we're watching a western I'd prefer "Once upon a time in the West". It has Bond's father in law in it and in my opinion it's a better movie.

• BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,053Chief of Staff

It's long, though- about the same as NTTD!

The Bourne Identity

or

Hunt for the Red October

• Shady TreeShady Tree London, UKPosts: 2,965MI6 Agent
    edited October 2021

Kurosawa's 'Seven Samurai' (1954) is on cinema re-release across the UK as part of its Japan 2021 season: that would make a nice background over here against which to enjoy a watchalong of 'The Magnificent Seven' at some point. Kurosawa's 'Yojimbo' (1961) is part of the same BFI season; in turn it was famously a clear influence on 'A Fistful Of Dollars' - a Leone movie which has a more watchalong-friendly run time than 'Once Upon A Time In The West'? As a bonus, the dvd commentary for 'A Fistful of Dollars' by Chris Frayling is superb; Frayling is an afficianado of popular 60s cinema and draws parallels between the cinematic style of the Man With No Name spaghetti westerns and Bond.

Critics and material I don't need. I haven't changed my act in 53 years.

My completely objective opinion is that "Hunt for the Red October" is the best suggestion yet.

My completely objective opinion is that we have 3 votes for "A Shot In The Dark". 😝

Hadn't heard that, thanks Gymkata!

Er... does that mean 4 votes now?

Does that mean it'll be "A shot in the dark" just because you've got more votes than me? That's not how democracy should work!

• CoolHandBondCoolHandBond Mactan IslandPosts: 6,030MI6 Agent
    Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.

No, CHB, no no. "I told you so" and "See, this has been very bad for our country's economy" and "Explain all these shortages, please" (yesterday my local supermarket had no pork, spaghetti or certain cheeses). That sounds like a remainer.

I still think the movie should remain (😏) The Hunt for Red October. Possibly one of the Indiana Jones movies or "The wrong trousers".

Alas, I don't have a copy of "The Wrong Trousers". I do have all the Indiana Jones and Jack Ryan movies, though. And all the Pink Panthers.

I don't suppose we could take a left turn into either Universal or Hammer horror films.....? Nah, thought not.

edited November 2021

Jason Bourne is one of the important spy movies andre even influenced Bond, like it or not. I think we should watch The Bourne Identity.

Count me out for that one, N24. I don't have a copy, and I don't like those movies.

We all know it's just a question of time before we have our NTTD watchalong, right? We all need to get hold of the DVD or buy it on some streaming service first. That won't happen until we've had a walk aound a decorated tree, followed any a lot of time spent with our families. That means a watchalong in January or February at the latest. Do you agree?

For me, what do you think? 😁

Nothing sooner, though?

We could have a watchalong in December.

I put it to you that it's our goal to arrange a watchalong in December featuring one of these three movies:

- A shot in the dark (Pink Panther)

- Hunt for the Red October

- The last crusade (Indiana Jones)

What movie do you prefer?

• caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,907MI6 Agent

Number 24 said:

We all know it's just a question of time before we have our NTTD watchalong, right? We all need to get hold of the DVD or buy it on some streaming service first.

I might even join you for that one, should be very interesting. But you'll have to find someone who admits to liking it to take part, to make conversation a bit interesting, otherwise I can predict how its going to go.

I like it. Some days I dislike the ending, other days I like it. What I agree with myself all the time is that it's a very well-made movie with a very interesting plot.

I'm glad you want to take part of cource.

It might also interest you that almost 40% of the votes om the NTTD poll rate it 5 or 6 on a scale from 1-6. People who enjoy NTTD aren't as rare as you think.

• caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,907MI6 Agent

well we gotta get some of these folks to post more, the discussions about the new movie are getting repetitive in their negativity. Come on lurkers!

I actually enjoyed it in the theatre, and like some aspects even more in retrospect as I think about it (such as the idea the story is actually from Madeleine's PoV). but I'm scared to say so in front of the cool kids...

a groupwatch of an actual new Bond film could be very interesting so longs its not a competition who hates the film the most. All the other films we'd each seen a couple dozen times, but this one we're still figuring out how to react to and real-time responses may be more spontaneous.

edited November 2021

That's one big plus with polls. It's not about who shouts the most. A lurker and someone like me who posts most days count the same.

I agree that a watchalong for a fairly new movie is exciting and new.

I'm ok with any of the three movies mentioned.

Of the three movies I prefer Hunt for the Red October on the grounds that I have it in my posession. I can get the others too, but it takes time. After the last watchalong I feel I need to prove that I actually know where my DVD is 😁:

That's three people who're in for a Red October watchalong. Keep it coming!

Gymkata said:

Count me in for a NTTD watchalong. I've seen it twice and full on LOVE the movie. I haven't commented on it much beyond my initial postings because the constant re-litigation of the same few points by the haters is tiresome.

good to hear @Gymkata ! I remember a couple years back you did a nice series of reviews of all 24 films, did you do one for the new film yet, or are you still processing?

Thing is with those earlier group-watches (I only actually participated in three before work-from-home got in the way) I know I was definitely guilty of recycling old material, I suspect most of us were. Nice to have all our various thoughts posted in one thread, but much of what we posted was probably thoughts we had formed years before. but if we can do No Time to Die, what we post in Real Time will be much closer to genuine spontaneous reactions since we're still digesting the film, it should be a very different experience at the least.

Imagine if we did a groupwatch of this new film and none of he participants had seen it even once!

• chrisno1chrisno1 LondonPosts: 3,176MI6 Agent

Are these reviews somewhere in the James Bond Films subsection? I checked your discussions @Gymkata and they don't appear to be on any thread you created?

• chrisno1chrisno1 LondonPosts: 3,176MI6 Agent

It's okay, I found it in Last Bond Movie You Watched...

If I'd used the search function properly I'd have dug it up first time. I intend to view them tonight for a bit of light reading.

• Shady TreeShady Tree London, UKPosts: 2,965MI6 Agent
    edited November 2021

I'd be happy if there was a watchalong soon although December is a busy month so it might depend on when.

I agree that an early NTTD watchalong is a good idea and I suspect that card-carrying haters wouldn't want to join in with it in the first place. But I'm sure anyone would be welcome and if there were some polarised points of view it could make for an entertainingly animated occasion.

Critics and material I don't need. I haven't changed my act in 53 years.