Please, let them sing before it's too late!

Trigger_MortisTrigger_Mortis Posts: 100MI6 Agent

While a thread that is more theme song related, I felt Bond 26 was a great section for this discussion.

For years, i've had a few picks in mind to sing the best Bond theme and, without being too insensitive, I feel time is running short before certain singers will either be retired, too old, or simply deceased to sing a Bond tune. I'm fairly sure all Bond themes have been sung by vocalists who were popular in their respective era.

But, for the next film, can we have a more established act sing a Bond theme, even if they are past their prime? The only rule being is that they have to be able to sing a Bond tune. Sadly, we will never have David Bowie or Prince sing a theme tune. So, based on that, I have developed a list for those who should sing a theme while they still can.

Here's my list:

• Sting: criminally overdue. I can't believe we're still without a Sting sung theme (assuming he wasn't offered and didn't turn it down)
  • Annie Lennox (same as Sting)
  • Nick Cave
  • Noel Gallagher
  • Jarvis Cocker
  • Lenny Kravitz
  • Paul Weller
  • Simply Red
  • Van Morrison
  • Louise Wener
  • Tori Amos
  • Gwen Stefani
  • Sade

Comments

• Mr MartiniMr Martini That nice house in the sky.Posts: 2,698MI6 Agent

It would be nice if U2 would sing a Bond theme. We know Bono and Edge can write a good song.

Some people would complain even if you hang them with a new rope
  • Trigger_MortisTrigger_Mortis Posts: 100MI6 Agent

A little late for the guys now, I say.

In the 90s, they could have come up with something extraordinary.

I always thought their contribution to the Batman Forever soundtrack, Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me, would have made a fine Bond tune.

But in the 2020s?

Not feeling it. I haven't purchased an album of theirs in a very long time.

• mynameisbond007mynameisbond007 Posts: 68MI6 Agent

Bond producers like to choose an artist that’s current at the time, a flavour of the month if you will. That’s why billie eilish, Sam smith etc were chosen , can’t see many of these doing a bond tune now . One who has never done it who should’ve done it was Elton John imo

• caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,907MI6 Agent
    edited December 2021

Mr Martini said:

It would be nice if U2 would sing a Bond theme. We know Bono and Edge can write a good song.

Trigger_Mortis said:

A little late for the guys now, I say.

In the 90s, they could have come up with something extraordinary.

they already did! its called Goldeneye!

Martini and myself were aware of this; we were talking about U2 actually singing one 😉

Yes, this is a VERY unusual omission, isn't it?

Especially since Elton has pretty much had a career for nearly as long as there have been 007 films.

• Royale-les-EauxRoyale-les-Eaux LondonPosts: 814MI6 Agent
    edited December 2021

Bringing up Elton reminds me of the absolute tragedy that we'll never get a George Michael theme - even if he did sample Moonraker on Patience and try to rumour himself into the CR theme (though I wouldn't swap You Know My Name for anything as it is/was the perfect song for that film) - as he loved the franchise and would could have lent himself to anything. When you think of some of the left field choices who have done it I'm surprised it never got passed the rumour stage given he was a major/serious British artist for the entirety of at least 2 Bonds tenures.

• The Domino EffectThe Domino Effect Posts: 3,631MI6 Agent

I think the saddest one of all was Amy Winehouse. They apparently did ask her, but it didn't happen. Her voice would have been perfect in a Bond theme.

• caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,907MI6 Agent

Trigger_Mortis said:

we were talking about U2 actually singing one

ah OK. I best avoid subjective value judgments then, and will just say Tina Turner's voice was probably closer to the classic BondTheme sound than Bono's would have been, so I'm glad they gave her the vocal. But he certainly could have belted it out better than Billie Eilish!

• Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,238MI6 Agent

Jarvis Cocker's Pulp was asked to submit something for Tomorrow Never Dies but it got rejected, it turned up on the B-side of Help the Aged, an alright if not stellar Top 10 single, as Tomorrow Never Lies. It's not great. On the same album is This Is Hardcore, the opening track is pure Barry and the video is amazing stuff, but none of it is really suited to the film itself which has none of that kind of Cold War moodiness.

Sadly, I just can't get worked up about whoever does the new Bond theme because they just haven't had the same magic since Cubby relinquished control of the series. Perhaps because each film has no distinctive flavour or identity - YOLT was JAPAN! DAF was DIAMONDS! AND VEGAS! And so on, sort of.

"This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017

Another strange omission. You would have thought anywhere between 1985 and 2000 would have been the time for a George Michael sung (and written) theme. Nope.

It nearly happened. Very near, in fact.

Amy was starting to clean up and was ready to work on the follow-up to Back To Black.

But, she lost the battle. She was close to a 180 degree turnaround, a Bond theme was on the cards.

• JTBondJTBond Posts: 112MI6 Agent

I'd like to see a return to something more upbeat after the last few downers. 'You Know My Name' was perfection, IMO. Myles Kennedy could do something similar.

• UnderwaterBattle007UnderwaterBattle007 Posts: 284MI6 Agent

I'd love for there to be another instrumental for the main titles sequence we've had three all fantastic in their own way.

FRWl, CR, OHMSS, TSWLM, SF, GF, TLD, LTK, TND, FYEO, OP,TWINE, GE, LALD, TB, SPECTRE, DN, YOLT, TMWTGG, QOS, MR, DAF, DAD, AVTAK, NTTD.

"Do you expect me to talk? "No Mister Bond I expect you to die"
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,701MI6 Agent

One is OHMSS, but what are the other two?

• UnderwaterBattle007UnderwaterBattle007 Posts: 284MI6 Agent
    FRWl, CR, OHMSS, TSWLM, SF, GF, TLD, LTK, TND, FYEO, OP,TWINE, GE, LALD, TB, SPECTRE, DN, YOLT, TMWTGG, QOS, MR, DAF, DAD, AVTAK, NTTD.

"Do you expect me to talk? "No Mister Bond I expect you to die"

Thanks, it came back to me now. 🤣

• FrankChapmanFrankChapman Posts: 5MI6 Agent

I'd like to see Lana Del Rey or Sia do the next Bond — their songs are so intense and cinematic.

• FerinstalFerinstal North of Londinium...Posts: 310MI6 Agent
    edited December 2021

I always thought that this from Noel Gallagher would have made a great Bond theme. Got a lot of the requisite hooks; moody presence and lyrics that kinda fit for a spy…:

Yes. Considerably.

It's time for an energetic, rock-oriented title song again. If they added some strings and changed some of the lyrics this one it would be really great!

• HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,736MI6 Agent

I agree. For the kick off for a new Bond, energetic/rock oriented would be the way to go.

• Smiert-SpionamSmiert-Spionam Posts: 318MI6 Agent

Absolutely!

Muse, Greta Van Fleet, Rival Sons and Foxy Shazam are all bands that are capable with writing Bond-esque rock songs with big vocals. About time we switched from the the ballads from the last 3 films.

Smiert Spionam

I like Greta Van Fleet, but why have them when we still have Robert Plant?