Random Chat!!! (All Welcome!)

Comments

• Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,699MI6 Agent

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

edited December 2021

I'd like to congratulate Demitri Murakov and Maria Ressa who are recieving the Nobel peace prize today. A free press is key to democracy and our freedom. Let's hope the Nobel prize will protect them in the future. It's needed. Several of the journalists working in Muratov's newspaper has been murdered. Ressa often recieves death threaths.

• CoolHandBondCoolHandBond Mactan IslandPosts: 6,030MI6 Agent

A typhoon is approaching so we have moved from our house on Mactan to our condo in Cebu City which affords more protection. The projected path is directly over us and everyone is preparing to batten down the hatches. Time of arrival in is estimated to be Thursday afternoon/evening. Hopefully it will veer away before it hits us but it’s not looking likely. It’s the 15th typhoon to hit the Philippines this year but the first to directly hit the Mactan/Cebu City area, we have only had the edges of some of the previous ones this year.

The view from our balcony - the calm before the storm - I will post more pictures when things change.

Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.
  • Charmed & DangerousCharmed & Dangerous Posts: 7,358MI6 Agent

Good luck CHB, I hope it's a mild event.

"How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."

Good luck!

• The Spy Who Never DiesThe Spy Who Never Dies UKPosts: 644MI6 Agent
    edited December 2021

This post is not meant to judge anyone but to offer a perspective that some of you may not have considered.

This thread comes under the heading of Off Topic Chat (the place to talk about absolutely anything you like “within reason”. Does the sexist joke post #18011 above fall into the category of “within reason”? As a woman, I would say not. (I have sent a non judgemental, hopefully friendly PM to the poster explaining that I’m doing this)

You may not be aware of how a man’s choice of language when referring to female body parts can undermine a woman’s or girl’s dignity. Would you want your mother, sister, wife/girlfriend, niece, daughter etc to be in a situation where she feels like this? Some of you have daughters, granddaughters and nieces who are children. Is this want you want for them now or as they get older? Don’t they deserve better? It may have been seen to be “accepted” for decades but the Me Too movement has clearly shown this is not the case. To live in the past hinders the future.

Think about this scenario: you have a 12 year old daughter/niece/ granddaughter who lets say loves badminton and is thrilled to be on a team. There are boys on the team too and they start making jokes about the female body, using language that upsets her. Maybe you pick her up one evening from badminton and you notice that she’s upset and you ask why. Let’s also say for the sake of my point that she tells you why (as often girls don’t, partly because it can make them feel ashamed). What are you going to tell her? Are you going to tell her that it’s just boys being boys and she should try to ignore it/put up with it and that if she can’t then the problem is hers and not the boys? That she better get used to it because when she’s a woman she’ll probably hear a lot more? What if she just feels too uncomfortable with the jokes and decides to leave the badminton team? Are you going to think she’s over-reacting?

Again, I am not passing judgement and hope it doesn’t come across like I am. I’m merely attempting to bring it to men’s attention in the hope that you will at least try to think about it from a woman/girl’s perspective. It is after all, their bodies you are referencing. What if teenage girls or young women after seeing NTTD decide to look up Bond sites and come here? Would you be ok with them seeing your jokes that, while fun to you, might be demeaning to them? Jokes that you probably forget the next day but might stay with them a lot longer.

When the next Bond film comes out, audiences will have a younger element as well as established fans of many years. New younger Bond fans might join AJB or lurk. Are some of you older men ok with “teaching” the younger men and teenage boys that it’s ok to make jokes and comments about the female body in such a way?

I’m sure I don’t need to tell you guys that the female body is beautiful! 🙂 Why not teach the younger men/boys how to be respectful about it instead of using derogatory words that make a woman feel anything but beautiful? Wouldn’t that be a great legacy for older Bond fans to pass down to younger ones?

I realise that not all men here tell these jokes and might not like them either. They might make you feel uncomfortable too, like it does me.

I used to post here up until this time last year but I left because of the Boys’ Club mentality and how coming across jokes like this, made me feel uncomfortable. As men you have no idea how it can make a woman feel. How can you?

Because I had started to form friendships in the PM section, I hang out there instead. (Sadly, a couple of those guys don’t post on AJB anymore.) After a while, I would occasionally read the odd book or film review but stayed clear of most of the forum, including all Bond related stuff. As a Bond fan, that’s tough.

When NNTD came out, I, like everyone else, wanted to connect with other Bond fans to discuss it and find out what everyone thought. I read a lot of the posts. I then, forgetting to be careful, found myself in this thread! And read enough of the joke before I realised the content.

This post is one woman’s take on things, simply offering a different view from my spot on the globe. Hire me or fire me. It’s entirely up to you! 

Spy

• caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,906MI6 Agent

welcome back @The Spy Who Never Dies ... I'd been wondering where you've been?

we need more women in our gang. If you posted more I'm sure others would feel more comfortable following your example and we'd be less of a frat-house. In real life I would never want to hang out with a big crowd of all lads talking lad talk.

I read plenty of comments here that I don't like, probably different than the ones you don't like, but its a shared experience. I just ignore those lines of discussion, because the important thing is our shared interests in James Bond and associated topics. The internet is full of too many people arguing as it is, and I'm here for the escapism.

If you've seen the new film, please come post a review and participate in some of the debates we're having round No Time to Die! we're starting to go in circles and need a new voice to shake us up.

also, note the very next post CoolHand made following the one being commented on, is him telling us he and his wife are making emergency preparations for an approaching typhoon. That sort of real life situation is much more important than what book titles he thinks are funny, and I sure hope he survives the weather unscathed!

Typhoon update:

About 12-15 hours before the eye hits. Wet and windy at the moment.

In reply to Spy #18017

Firstly, apologies if you have been offended by my earlier post. It was meant to be a humorous take on how language has evolved over the years, and in that, I make no apology. One of the mainstays of British comedy has always been the double entendres ranging from the Carry On film series to Are You Being Served, with Mrs. Slocombe’s ***** , played by the brilliant Mollie Sugden. My recent posts regarding how I find older sitcoms funny and recent ones dire, are evidence of my 65 years on this planet (if anyone who finds Mrs. Brown’s Boy’s funny, can they please post what is funny about it, so I may understand?). I can’t help it that I find schoolboy humour funny, it’s just the way I am. I find it difficult to fathom how you can enjoy the Bond series so much with all the sexist humour, especially the Roger Moore years, and notwithstanding the names of ***** Galore, Octo***** and Plenty O’****e amongst others.

I don’t need to be patronised, I am well aware of how words can hurt, not only women, but men too. But these need to be taken in context of how they are said, a gentle humorous joke about bodily parts, male or female, is totally different from an abusive outburst aimed at causing offence. Whether you like it or not, the world IS a place where everyone at some point or another will experience behaviour that is unacceptable, far better that they can know the difference between gentle ribbing and a vicious racial attack, or similar, and not equate them to be all the same.

As @caractacus potts says above, there are more important things going on than a few book titles that people may or may not find funny.

Typhoon update:

The hills in the background are now cloud covered. Heavy rain and strong winds. Alert has risen to Signal Number 3. 700 people have already gone to evacuation centres across the city and hundreds more are expected from areas at risk of flooding.

How far do the alerts ignals go? 5?

I wish you all the best 🤞

Yes, 5 , N24, and it’s just gone to 5 now. Blackouts in many area of the city, the generators have kicked in here at the condo. Not sure how long the internet will last.

Wishing you good luck too, CHB. Please keep us posted.

• Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,238MI6 Agent

In the meantime, these might help you out...

"This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • Mr SnowMr Snow Station "J" JamaicaPosts: 1,736MI6 Agent

Napoleon Plural - you are seriously nothing but a pathetic low life.

"Everyone knows rock n' roll attained perfection in 1974; It's a scientific fact". - Homer J Simpson
  • Mr MalloryMr Mallory North by northwestPosts: 632MI6 Agent

Agreed Mr Snow.

What makes you think this is my first time?
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,053Chief of Staff

....and that's enough.

Not the first time I've had to close this designedly innocuous thread. When it reopens, let's return to its original intent.

I'm opening the thread again for a serious reason.

Our friend CoolHandBond lives in the Philippines which have just been devastated by Typhoon Rai. He was talking about it above, and the reports on the news have been horrifying. He hasn't posted at his usual time here, and hasn't replied to an email I sent. Now it is of course entirely possible that there is simply no internet available in his area as he mentioned earlier but I can't help worrying about him and hope that he and his wife are all right.

This thread is where he will probably post if and when he can, and I am sure you will all join me in wishing him the very best at what must be at least a very worrying time.

• Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,238MI6 Agent

I should point out, my postings on humorous book titles referred to a cheeky post by CoolHandBond earlier on this page, not his situation re the typhoon.

"This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    edited January 2022

A few years ago we experienced a hurricane on the 25. or 26. December I think. We lost electricity, the mobile phones net and of cource the internet for five days. We were fine. CHB can't take the food out of the freezer and put it on the veranda to keep it frozen like we did, but I'm guessing he's in a simular situation we were in. So sleep under the stairs and stay safe, CHB. 😊

• The Spy Who Never DiesThe Spy Who Never Dies UKPosts: 644MI6 Agent

I honestly hadn’t read CHB’s post about the typhoon before I posted. Obviously, if I had, I wouldn’t have posted my post. My apologies everyone and especially to CHB for being insensitive and may I add my wishes that he and his wife and country are safe. 

• Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,644MI6 Agent
    edited December 2021

I too hope that all is well with dear @CoolHandBond and his wife. I hope they are keeping safe. Wishing them all the best and of course the people of the Philippines more generally too at this truly awful time.

"The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • chrisno1chrisno1 LondonPosts: 3,172MI6 Agent

It's not looking great out there, but my thoughts remain positive for @CoolHandBond Let's all trust and hope.

CHB has emailed me. He and Mrs CHB are all right. Lots of damage, weak internet, but they're ok. He'll post when the signal is better.

Relieved to hear from him!

• chrisno1chrisno1 LondonPosts: 3,172MI6 Agent
    edited December 2021

👍👍

• Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,644MI6 Agent
    edited December 2021

Well, that's great news to wake up to! I was quite worried for their safety so it's a relief to know they're OK. I'm sure that there's plenty of damage done but at least things can always be replaced again.

"The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).

👍

🍸 that's great to hear - let's hope they haven't suffered too much damage, but at least they are safe which is the important thing.

The unsung hero of NTTD - Fantorangen! 😁

edited December 2021

Denise Richards recently flew on a plane and protected herself against Corona by wearing a hoodie and a winter jacket. If this doesn't prove she was the right actress to play a nuclear physicist nothing can. 😁