Random Chat!!! (All Welcome!)

Comments

• CoolHandBondCoolHandBond Mactan IslandPosts: 6,153MI6 Agent

In reply to Spy #18017

Firstly, apologies if you have been offended by my earlier post. It was meant to be a humorous take on how language has evolved over the years, and in that, I make no apology. One of the mainstays of British comedy has always been the double entendres ranging from the Carry On film series to Are You Being Served, with Mrs. Slocombe’s ***** , played by the brilliant Mollie Sugden. My recent posts regarding how I find older sitcoms funny and recent ones dire, are evidence of my 65 years on this planet (if anyone who finds Mrs. Brown’s Boy’s funny, can they please post what is funny about it, so I may understand?). I can’t help it that I find schoolboy humour funny, it’s just the way I am. I find it difficult to fathom how you can enjoy the Bond series so much with all the sexist humour, especially the Roger Moore years, and notwithstanding the names of ***** Galore, Octo***** and Plenty O’****e amongst others.

I don’t need to be patronised, I am well aware of how words can hurt, not only women, but men too. But these need to be taken in context of how they are said, a gentle humorous joke about bodily parts, male or female, is totally different from an abusive outburst aimed at causing offence. Whether you like it or not, the world IS a place where everyone at some point or another will experience behaviour that is unacceptable, far better that they can know the difference between gentle ribbing and a vicious racial attack, or similar, and not equate them to be all the same.

As @caractacus potts says above, there are more important things going on than a few book titles that people may or may not find funny.

Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.

Typhoon update:

The hills in the background are now cloud covered. Heavy rain and strong winds. Alert has risen to Signal Number 3. 700 people have already gone to evacuation centres across the city and hundreds more are expected from areas at risk of flooding.

• Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,764MI6 Agent

How far do the alerts ignals go? 5?

I wish you all the best 🤞

Yes, 5 , N24, and it’s just gone to 5 now. Blackouts in many area of the city, the generators have kicked in here at the condo. Not sure how long the internet will last.

• Charmed & DangerousCharmed & Dangerous Posts: 7,358MI6 Agent

Wishing you good luck too, CHB. Please keep us posted.

"How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,270MI6 Agent

In the meantime, these might help you out...

"This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • Mr SnowMr Snow Station "J" JamaicaPosts: 1,736MI6 Agent

Napoleon Plural - you are seriously nothing but a pathetic low life.

"Everyone knows rock n' roll attained perfection in 1974; It's a scientific fact". - Homer J Simpson
  • Mr MalloryMr Mallory North by northwestPosts: 632MI6 Agent

Agreed Mr Snow.

What makes you think this is my first time?
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,210Chief of Staff

....and that's enough.

Not the first time I've had to close this designedly innocuous thread. When it reopens, let's return to its original intent.

I'm opening the thread again for a serious reason.

Our friend CoolHandBond lives in the Philippines which have just been devastated by Typhoon Rai. He was talking about it above, and the reports on the news have been horrifying. He hasn't posted at his usual time here, and hasn't replied to an email I sent. Now it is of course entirely possible that there is simply no internet available in his area as he mentioned earlier but I can't help worrying about him and hope that he and his wife are all right.

This thread is where he will probably post if and when he can, and I am sure you will all join me in wishing him the very best at what must be at least a very worrying time.

I should point out, my postings on humorous book titles referred to a cheeky post by CoolHandBond earlier on this page, not his situation re the typhoon.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    edited January 2022

A few years ago we experienced a hurricane on the 25. or 26. December I think. We lost electricity, the mobile phones net and of cource the internet for five days. We were fine. CHB can't take the food out of the freezer and put it on the veranda to keep it frozen like we did, but I'm guessing he's in a simular situation we were in. So sleep under the stairs and stay safe, CHB. 😊

• The Spy Who Never DiesThe Spy Who Never Dies UKPosts: 644MI6 Agent

I honestly hadn’t read CHB’s post about the typhoon before I posted. Obviously, if I had, I wouldn’t have posted my post. My apologies everyone and especially to CHB for being insensitive and may I add my wishes that he and his wife and country are safe. 

• Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,669MI6 Agent
    edited December 2021

I too hope that all is well with dear @CoolHandBond and his wife. I hope they are keeping safe. Wishing them all the best and of course the people of the Philippines more generally too at this truly awful time.

"The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • chrisno1chrisno1 LondonPosts: 3,238MI6 Agent

It's not looking great out there, but my thoughts remain positive for @CoolHandBond Let's all trust and hope.

CHB has emailed me. He and Mrs CHB are all right. Lots of damage, weak internet, but they're ok. He'll post when the signal is better.

Relieved to hear from him!

• chrisno1chrisno1 LondonPosts: 3,238MI6 Agent
    edited December 2021

👍👍

• Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,669MI6 Agent
    edited December 2021

Well, that's great news to wake up to! I was quite worried for their safety so it's a relief to know they're OK. I'm sure that there's plenty of damage done but at least things can always be replaced again.

"The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).

👍

• Charmed & DangerousCharmed & Dangerous Posts: 7,358MI6 Agent

🍸 that's great to hear - let's hope they haven't suffered too much damage, but at least they are safe which is the important thing.

"How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."

The unsung hero of NTTD - Fantorangen! 😁

edited December 2021

Denise Richards recently flew on a plane and protected herself against Corona by wearing a hoodie and a winter jacket. If this doesn't prove she was the right actress to play a nuclear physicist nothing can. 😁

• Mr MalloryMr Mallory North by northwestPosts: 632MI6 Agent

Damm right Number24, no Woman should have the right to decide what happens to their bodies. Let alone have an individual opinion.

This is a great forum for the empowerment of women.

What makes you think this is my first time?
    edited December 2021

No medical expert I've ever heard of says a hoodie and a winter jacket helps against a virus. Masks have on the other hand been standard equipment in hospitals for generations because the science and experience proves it has a positive effect. Trying to protect yourself against a dangerous pandemic with a method that has no basis in science at all isn't the best way to express your personal freedom, I think.

• JoshuaJoshua Posts: 1,138MI6 Agent

I hope you and your family are safe and well @CoolHandBond

I would like to take this opportunity to wish everyone at AJB a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. Let us hope 2022 will be better for us all.

As usual I will be working (12 hour day shift starting tomorrow!) but I am expecting everything to be quiet enough to allow me to catch up on some DVDs! I'm taking a few Bond films to watch.

Again I wish you all season's greetings.

Marry Christmas, Joshua!

Or as we say in Norway: God jul 🎄🌨️

It's all getting a bit General Orlov on the Ukraine border, isn't it? Sky News reporting how a 'lightning strike' from Putin would surely be his preferred method for instant success.

Roger Moore 1927-2017

Putin is rattling sabers and presenting completely unrealistic "demands" in the hopes of NATO giving in to his more realistic goals. I don't think he'll attack the rest of Ukraine with Russian forces.

Typhoon Update:

Well, the main thing is that myself, Mrs CHB, son of CHB and our housekeeper have come through this alive and well, although around 400 have perished throughout the region. Half a million are in evacuation centres in the region, many who have lost their houses completely. There is no power or water here and the internet is so weak it was hardly noticeable. Huge lines formed for food and drinking water was sold out within hours. Damage is extensive, not too much on our condominium, but roof tiles have been lost, and lots of damage to the sky tower at the shopping mall (pictures below). Hotels in Cebu are fully booked. We managed to get ferry tickets to the neighbouring island of Leyte for the 6am Christmas Day crossing and we have booked into a hotel here until power is restored in Cebu. Our house on Mactan has sustained some damage but the whole island is devastated and power will be off until the end of January. I’ve managed to arrange for the repairs required to be completed in a few weeks time.

Many thanks to all those who have posted and sent pm’s to me, they are greatly appreciated.

I'm just glad that you and yours are safe and well and have come through this ordeal. Best regards!