Random Chat!!! (All Welcome!)

Comments

• Mr MalloryMr Mallory North by northwestPosts: 632MI6 Agent

Damm right Number24, no Woman should have the right to decide what happens to their bodies. Let alone have an individual opinion.

This is a great forum for the empowerment of women.

What makes you think this is my first time?
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,701MI6 Agent
    edited December 2021

No medical expert I've ever heard of says a hoodie and a winter jacket helps against a virus. Masks have on the other hand been standard equipment in hospitals for generations because the science and experience proves it has a positive effect. Trying to protect yourself against a dangerous pandemic with a method that has no basis in science at all isn't the best way to express your personal freedom, I think.

• JoshuaJoshua Posts: 1,138MI6 Agent

I hope you and your family are safe and well @CoolHandBond

I would like to take this opportunity to wish everyone at AJB a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. Let us hope 2022 will be better for us all.

As usual I will be working (12 hour day shift starting tomorrow!) but I am expecting everything to be quiet enough to allow me to catch up on some DVDs! I'm taking a few Bond films to watch.

Again I wish you all season's greetings.

Marry Christmas, Joshua!

Or as we say in Norway: God jul 🎄🌨️

• Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,239MI6 Agent

It's all getting a bit General Orlov on the Ukraine border, isn't it? Sky News reporting how a 'lightning strike' from Putin would surely be his preferred method for instant success.

"This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017

Putin is rattling sabers and presenting completely unrealistic "demands" in the hopes of NATO giving in to his more realistic goals. I don't think he'll attack the rest of Ukraine with Russian forces.

• CoolHandBondCoolHandBond Mactan IslandPosts: 6,030MI6 Agent

Typhoon Update:

Well, the main thing is that myself, Mrs CHB, son of CHB and our housekeeper have come through this alive and well, although around 400 have perished throughout the region. Half a million are in evacuation centres in the region, many who have lost their houses completely. There is no power or water here and the internet is so weak it was hardly noticeable. Huge lines formed for food and drinking water was sold out within hours. Damage is extensive, not too much on our condominium, but roof tiles have been lost, and lots of damage to the sky tower at the shopping mall (pictures below). Hotels in Cebu are fully booked. We managed to get ferry tickets to the neighbouring island of Leyte for the 6am Christmas Day crossing and we have booked into a hotel here until power is restored in Cebu. Our house on Mactan has sustained some damage but the whole island is devastated and power will be off until the end of January. I’ve managed to arrange for the repairs required to be completed in a few weeks time.

Many thanks to all those who have posted and sent pm’s to me, they are greatly appreciated.

Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,053Chief of Staff

I'm just glad that you and yours are safe and well and have come through this ordeal. Best regards!

• Charmed & DangerousCharmed & Dangerous Posts: 7,358MI6 Agent

Seconded - good to hear you're all well CHB, we were all pretty worried when you went silent. The effects of the typhoon look shocking.

"How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."

Nice to have you back, CHB! You're having an unconventional Christmas, I see ...

• Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,644MI6 Agent

Great to hear from you again, CHB. Relieved to hear that you are all keeping safe and well.

"The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • chrisno1chrisno1 LondonPosts: 3,177MI6 Agent

That's good news CHB, glad you are safe, but feeling for those who lost family and friends and the pics I've seen online puts the whole concept of 'merry Christmas' in perspective.

We'll said. I'm glad CHB and his family are safe, but I'm sad for their many countrymen who where hit even harder by the typhoon.

• caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,907MI6 Agent

good to see you've survived CoolHand, thats some extreme weather

Thank you all for your good wishes 🙂

Happy new years to everyone in AJB! 🎉🎊💥

• Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,644MI6 Agent

Happy New Year 2022 everyone! 🙂

"The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).

Happy New Year fellow AJB members, wherever you are. Here's to 2022. May it be served straight up, without too many twists. 🍸

Happy New Year 🥳

My forecast is that there will be no official news of what is happening with Bond 26, during 2022, from EON.

• The Red KindThe Red Kind EnglandPosts: 3,119MI6 Agent

Happy New Year fellow AJBers🥂👍

"Any of the opposition around..?"
  • chrisno1chrisno1 LondonPosts: 3,177MI6 Agent

Happy New Year for 2022 to all members young, old, new, borrowed and blue 🍸️🍸️ 🍸️ wine, cheese and port hangover finally over ...

Old, new, borrowed and blue is the title of a Slade album, and very good it is too. Noddy Holder has one of the finest rock voices of all time and is seriously undervalued in the annals of music.

Book Clubs were very popular in the UK, they enabled readers to purchase titles in special book club editions at prices way below the normal cost of the original printings. The Oldham’s seres was just one of many offerings;

This series began in the late 1950’s and ran for a good 20 years or so. They started to become very collectible in the 1980’s onwards and they didn’t stand for long on the shelves of my bookshop. A few of them are below

The Siege Of Trencher’s Farm was filmed as Straw Dogs. The paperback tie-in was insanely popular, but I often got complaints that the rape scene does not appear in the book, it was added to the film script in the adaption. Sometimes the explanation of me saying that I don’t write the books, I just sell them, didn’t seem to resonate with some customers!

I am happy to see that you are okay CoolHandBond.

edited January 2022

I have tried my very best to keep away from all news of NTTD for these past months. I walked into the living room to see my wife watching goglebox the other day and what was on?!

It was only a clip though showing Bond being caught in an explosion at Vesper's grave. Thankfully not enough to give any of the story away.

I continue to steer clear of James Bond chat here that might spoil the film or me because the first time I see it is when it is released on DVD.

edited January 2022

Don't worry, Josua. We would never spoil how Bond ends up living the quiet life as an alpaca farmer in Norway.

Thank you, Joshua.

We have tickets for the ferry to return to Cebu on Friday, electric is resumed in our area, then.

I'd forgotten those print adverts! Though I clearly remember this one, appearing in the pages of my sister's weekly Titbits magazines (look it up), as a pre-teen trembling on the brink of puberty and imbued with a highly overactive imagination:

I've seen that one for Dennis Wheatley myself again recently I think in one of my books where it was either an insert or a perforated card you could tear off and order the books from. A charming analogue find in this increasingly digital world.

That is news to me! I did suspect that he would open a workshop in Brighton, start teaching pottery lessons and making little bulldogs and selling them to tourists. The plot must be differently to what I imagined it would be?!