Random Chat!!! (All Welcome!)

Comments

• Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,644MI6 Agent

Sounds like an alternative take on Fleming's You Only Live Twice ending! Still, it beats being a monk I'm sure. 🙂

"The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • MANDY1MANDY1 TISPosts: 2,608MI6 Agent
    Knowing who to trust is Everything in this business.

TIS - "The moment you think you got it figured - you're wrong"

Formerly known as Teppo
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,702MI6 Agent

NTTD has more twists than a serpent licking an electricity outlet.

This bilboard can be seen in Birmingham of all places. Good luck, Malik!

• MANDY1MANDY1 TISPosts: 2,608MI6 Agent

Happy Epiphany 🍸️

Knowing who to trust is Everything in this business.

TIS - "The moment you think you got it figured - you're wrong"

Formerly known as Teppo
  • JoshuaJoshua Posts: 1,138MI6 Agent

And if the campaign is successful, how long before another bilboard is put up saying PLEASE! FIND ME A GOOD DIVORCE LAWYER??!!

edited January 2022

Never forget, never lie about the attack.

edited January 2022

"Hang on lads, I've got a great idea!"

I don't know it that's what they really said, but the people got out alive from this truck in Shanxi, China.

• CoolHandBondCoolHandBond Mactan IslandPosts: 6,030MI6 Agent

I remember this one very well. Lots of customers thought that book club editions were worth the same as the originals but sadly not. Some of the covers were interesting though and sometimes better than the original. I will post some when I have the time.

Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,644MI6 Agent

A lot of the James Bond Book Club editions seem to do very well nowadays, at least on eBay and the like. I do think that the Internet has tended to perhaps artificially inflate the value of a lot of things including books in the last few decades since its inception. You can still usually get books cheaper in bricks and mortar second hand bookshops than you can online whereas at a time the reverse used to be the case. Around ten years ago I recall being able to buy books on eBay for a penny and the profit appeared to be made in the postage and packaging costs instead. Of course that model would never have been sustainable over a long period and it didn't apply to every book.

In terms of the Bond Book Club editions, some of them do have very good covers indeed. I understand that the Book Club edition of FRWL used the cover art from the Jonathan Cape first edition and I was lucky enough to pick up a copy of that book complete with dust jacket years ago. Back in 2000 I happened upon TB, TSWLM, OHMSS and YOLT Book Club editions in my local second hand bookshop for the princely sum of £1.90. The YOLT cover art, depicting Blofeld and Bunt in the Garden of Death, remains one of my favourites:

"The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).

Yes, that’s a good cover, @Silhouette Man, I used to get about £5 for book club editions. A couple of interesting covers are below:

Regional press reports "Swanhild" has gone missing! Hopefully she's alive and well.

Today marks my 19th anniversary as a member of AJB007. I joined on 14 January 2003. A lot has happened in the years in between but I'm glad that I returned here to active service in 2012 after some years away. It is a great place to be a part of and I want to thank all the members, mods and the admin for keeping AJB alive and active for all of these years. The upgrade to new software has been great and AJB looks better than ever. I've had many interesting discussions here and learned a lot too so here's to AJB! 🍸️

• Quentin QuigleyQuentin Quigley Terminal One, Hamburg AirportPosts: 1,150MI6 Agent

Congrats my friend. That's quite a milestone. Here's to many more years ahead. 🍻

Still, surprised you lasted this long.

Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited January 2022

Thank you, QQ. Yes, I'm surprised I've lasted this long too. It remains my oldest forum membership. Of course there was that time I was exiled like an Afghan prince for over a year but we'll gloss over that for now. 😉

• chrisno1chrisno1 LondonPosts: 3,177MI6 Agent

🍸️🍸️🍸️ Congratulations, @Silhouette Man

Congratulations, Siliouette Man. I'm glad you're here. 😀

• caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,907MI6 Agent

always great posts and research from @Silhouette Man

I'm glad youre still with us after all these years. You must be one of the originals

Thank you, @chrisno1. 🙂

Thank you, @Number24. Yes, I'm glad to be here with you all too. 🙂

Thank you, @caractacus potts. It's good to still be here. I do like to go in-depth with the literary Bond topics in particular. I need to get to work on a few more topic ideas. I enjoy what you bring to the table too in terms of posts and research. I suppose I am pretty original as the first memberships on this iteration of AJB go back to March 2002 I think.

When nature calls - public toilets in Norway!

You're welcome to take a leak 😀

A month after the typhoon there are still over 40,000 people living in evacuation centres. 75% of the region has power and water restored. The internet is still weak and the Cignal cable tv service is still off-air. Over one and a quarter million houses were damaged or destroyed. Mine, on Mactan Island, suffered roof damage, this has now been covered so rain cannot come in but replacement items are hard to come by and labour is at a shortage and it could be many weeks before we are able to return there, so we are at our condo across the bridge in Cebu City for the foreseeable future. Fortunately, our condo is undamaged as it isn’t on the top floor and power and water is restored, so we are feeling lucky that we have survived intact.

• BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,053Chief of Staff

When it isn't in the news, people including me tend to think a major bad event is over. That's never true, and dealing with the aftereffects is a long, hard slog.

My more limited experience with extreme weather is that the aftermath and repairing the affected areas can be harder than the weather itself. I wish the best for CHB and the country.

Dolph Lundgren is engaged to Norwegian Emma Krokdal. Does this mean Dolph has to learn to speak Swedish again? 🤣

• chrisno1chrisno1 LondonPosts: 3,177MI6 Agent

Dolph has learnt to speak ? Are you sure ?

Others must judge if he can speak English. But his Swedish sounds like he moved from the land of American straight-to-video action movies to Sweden a year or two ago, and not like someone who grew up in Sweden, I suspect the couple has to speak English for him to express himself at a basic level.

edited January 2022

Happy 18th birthday princess Ingrid Alexandra of Norway! She's third in line to the throne and will be the first ruling Norwegian queen since the middle ages.

As required for all members of the royal family she's a skilled skier: Sjå kongefamilien på ski – Siste nytt – NRK

But the Kate Middleton lookalike also won the national junior championship in surfing in 2020!

edited January 2022

The research station on the island Hopen on Svalbard raised the flag in honour of the princess. The king of the Arctic naturally came by to pay tribute to the princess of Norway!

I still haven’t seen NTTD 🙁 The cinemas are still closed due to Covid restrictions and I don’t really want to have my first viewing of it on a TV screen. Of course, even when the cinemas do reopen, there is no guarantee that it will show anyway. I may well have to bite the bullet and stream it on my Firestick. I must be the only active member on this site not to have seen it yet.