Random Chat!!! (All Welcome!)

Comments

• Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,702MI6 Agent

I've posted before about the relatively recently made Myklebust ship in Nordfjordeid. Here are some photos I found to show how stunning the ship is.

• The Domino EffectThe Domino Effect Posts: 3,631MI6 Agent

I can't believe you have built this all by yourself, N24. Well, you and your pony, that is.

It is quite sensational.

That's not a pony, it's horse race called Fjording or Fjord Horse. Fjord horse - Wikipedia

Their Mohawk is natural and sometimes they take their name litterally:

It's not mine and while I can understand why you'd think I made the ship myself, I actually didn't. I was relieved to see it turned out fine anyway, 😁

• Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,417Chief of Staff

That’s amazing @Number24 but I thought you needed two of every animal? 🤔

🤣

YNWA 97
  • JoshuaJoshua Posts: 1,138MI6 Agent

The harder I work the less money I have to spend?!

edited February 2022

The winter Olympics starts on Friday in Beijin, as I'm sure everyone knows. 😉

China is a country with next to no culture for winter sports, but China does have a strong interest in showing a positive image of the country. But how can China compete in a type of sports where they have no international medals ever and most people have never seen a pair of skis?

When the Norwegian Nobel comitee awarded a Chinese dissident the peace prize in 2010 the Chinese government did not take it well. In their world such a comitee couldn't possibly be independent of the governement, that's completely impossible. So Norway was put in the "ice box". No political contact for years and severe economical punishment was the reality until the government struck some shady deal years later. Part of the deal was Norway has to teach Chinese athletes to ski! Norway sent about sixty experts to train talented athletes. They had to be trained them from the basics and the mentalities were very different. Openness, frindship and inner motivation vs dicipline, fear and surveilance. So if you ever see a Chinese in the top 10-20 in a ski-related event in the comming weeks you know why. But the sport will still be dominated by Europeans such as Therese Johaug. The only way she doesn't get several medals is by catching Covid-19.

Johaug can been seen here in a Bondian pose:

Very! I do 12 hour shifts all the time and lot's of over time but cannot get any further ahead. I need a new job! Perhaps I would not get more money but certainly be not as 'time poor'!

edited February 2022

It sounds like you should change jobs. People who work full days (or more) should get enough money to live at a reasonable standard. It's what one expect of a civilized country.

• chrisno1chrisno1 LondonPosts: 3,177MI6 Agent

I've virtually given up full time work. It really isn't worth the effort. I work enough to survive. It's awful to say, but I may get a fair bunce of an inheritance some day which may assist my finances. I decided many years ago my money wasn't going to stretch to houses and flash cars, so I spent it on foreign travel and a lush life. Some would say I wasted it, but IMO I learnt and experienced more than I ever would if I'd been prudent.

• CoolHandBondCoolHandBond Mactan IslandPosts: 6,030MI6 Agent

Good for you, chrisno1. Despite what Blofeld says, you do only live once. As a famous footballer once said - I spent all my money on boozing, gambling and women, at least I didn’t waste it! 😂

Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.

I admire this but I have many commitments so could never hope to do this. Today I will be working a 'short' shift from 1200 to 2000 to cover for some one who is off ill, then working 12 hours day shifts on Saturday and Sunday. I have some old injuries and I don't know if it is actually the case but I think all the long hours I am at work is making them hurt more than usual. Of course this could just be because I am starting to get old!

• Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,239MI6 Agent

This kind of shift work can mess one about long term, esp night shift stuff, it can really mess up your body rhythms and make you put on weight. Of course it's a case of needs-must as the saying goes and also @Joshua the best way to get a job is to have a job, also as the saying goes. You are in a stronger position than being without work, of course, in applying for another job. But the case of working all day to get up the next day to do the same reminds me of George Orwell's brilliant book Down and Out in Paris in London - some of this is based on what it is to be a tramp or homeless person (the London part), but the Paris bit sees him workings as a flongeur I think it's called, in the kitchens longs sessions all day then getting up to do the same again so you have no time to reassess life priorities. It's a brilliant slice of 1930s life.

When I did an evening's bar work in my student days I got a tenner, went along to the local takeaway to get a well-deserved meal. That was the money pretty much gone. 'Easy come, easy go,' I said as I realised it, to the bloke behind the till. 'It doesn't come easy,' he replied, with a grin that was justified but just that bit annoying as I watched a few hours' work go up in smoke.

"This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017

Oh, Twitter's down btw.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    edited February 2022

Do you know why China suddenly has a few athletes capable of beating ...... anyone in skiing? When the Norwegian Nobel comitee awarded the peace prize to a Chinese disident their authorities did not take it well. To them an indenpendent Nobel comitee was .....

Norway was put in "the icebox" with no political contact. Before Norwegian salmon dominated the Chinese market, but suddenly their authorities "discovered" our salmon was dangerous for your health and stopped importing it. After years in the ice box a deal was made between the two countries. We don't know the deatails, but it's belived Norway has promised not to critizise China in public. Not our finest hour, but aparently salmon export is very important. It's also belived the Norwegian government promised to teach some of China's atlethes to ski. About sixty of our best coaches and other experts have worked for the Chinese since. There's been cultural clashes. The Norwegian approach with trust, openess and inner motivation doesn't always work well with the Chinese way based on discipline, surveilance and fear. I very much doubt China can reach the top ten in a ski events this winter, but maybe in the top twenty?

Let's focus on the more beautiful aspects of winter. No wonder this is an award-winning photograph:

I do twelve hour shifts and sometimes have one hour drive each way. This leaves me with not very much time at all to do anything but sleep. My search for another job has been long but I keep trying. It is simply the all the time I am spending working and commuting which is now beginning to tell. I must admit though that much of it is voluntary overtime, so my own 'fault'.

I was interested in the book you mentioned and found the audio version on you tube. I intend to listen to this at some point.

Hi @Joshua - of all the classics, this one is a real easy read. Some 'classics' (matter of opinion, of course) are a real grind. This isn't.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    edited February 2022

I just heard the news about Elon Musk's new spaceship called Starship. It's rather large ...

Here's a recent photo of Musk planning his Starship:

edited February 2022

The Scandinavian countries have almost completely opened up society in terms of Covid-19 restrictions. A very high percentage of the populations are vaccinated, the three countries have over 70% fully vaccinated. Do you think there is link? 😄

Putin and his Foreign Minister demonstrates the correct social distance between people during meals.

• The Domino EffectThe Domino Effect Posts: 3,631MI6 Agent

"Can you pass the salt?"

"What?"

"I said: 'Can you pass the salt'?"

"What?"

edited February 2022

I think the below photo illustrates what trailblazers Bruce Wayne and Vicky Vale were back in 1989!

Of cource we should all organize our dining rooms like Putin and Batman now.

• Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,644MI6 Agent
    edited February 2022

It reminds me of Karl Stromberg's table in The Spy Who Loved Me! I just hope it doesn't come with the added extra under the table! 😲

"The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).

Isn't it nice of a president to showcase social distancing like that! I hope Putin continues being this responsible! 😀

How can you compare Putin to Stromberg, SM?

• Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,644MI6 Agent

I know. I can't think what ever gave me that ludicrous idea! 😉

"The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).

Yes, it was a silly idea.

• BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,053Chief of Staff

😁😁😁

• CoolHandBondCoolHandBond Mactan IslandPosts: 6,030MI6 Agent

I’m reading news that a major storm is hitting the UK I hope everyone there keeps safe.

Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.