Bond Film Posters

ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
Any members got a opinion on the quality of the Front Of House posters used today.Most modern Posters used to sell the movies are mainly photographic ie. QOS Bond and Camille walking from the burning hotel.IMHO the older posters were much better,I always remember as a boy seeing the poster for LALD. Roger Moore gun across chest Tarrot cards showing the other characters,speedboat coming out of the crocodiles mouth etc.Just looking at it was exciting and I pestered my older brother to take me to see it.
All drawn by talented artists and of course they look great now mounted and hung on the wall. Can't seem to get the same emotional responce to the modern ones,The international for example is just a selection of stills from the film on a black background. Not much imagination there.I realise the golden age of the film poster has passed but it's a sad end when all a modern poster has to be is a few sill shots and the names of a couple of actors, far from the fantastic works of art they once were.:(
"I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."

Comments

• Barry NelsonBarry Nelson ChicagoPosts: 1,508MI6 Agent
    No question about it, the old posters were far superior. When I was teeneger, my best friend worked at the local movie theater which was a cool thing, because he let me in free, I pretended to hand him a ticket and he pretended to rip it, and I got free movie posters. My favorite was the LALD poster you described. I hung it on my closet door where it remained for years. Wish I still had it.

Like you pointed out, most posters today are stills, or composite photos from the film.
  • sirsosirso Posts: 209MI6 Agent

I'm surprised this thread didn't have a longer life.

• CoolHandBondCoolHandBond Mactan IslandPosts: 6,030MI6 Agent

Today’s photographic posters are a travesty compared to those painted posters of the past. Even modest features were transposed into glorious productions that made you want to see them. Who wouldn’t ant to see these films on seeing the posters?

Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.
  • emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,686MI6 Agent

This is my attempt at a retro No Time To Die poster (I'm sure you can guess which poster it's based on!)

• chrisno1chrisno1 LondonPosts: 3,177MI6 Agent

Not a bad effort 👌

• Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,701MI6 Agent

That's an excellent poster, Emtiem!

Thank you 😊

• BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,053Chief of Staff

Miles ahead of what we actually got!

• MANDY1MANDY1 TISPosts: 2,608MI6 Agent

This IS what the actual official poster should look like, Top marks 👌

Knowing who to trust is Everything in this business.

TIS - "The moment you think you got it figured - you're wrong"

Formerly known as Teppo
  • caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,907MI6 Agent

you're a very good artist @emtiem I never knew!

did you start that with an original line drawing? you certainly got the faces right

edited February 2022

Thanks Caractacus; yes I started with the pencil lines, using the photos as very close reference!

Here's my LTK, which I based on a b/w comp by Steven Chorney the film poster artist (click for bigger)

• caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,907MI6 Agent

damn you're good!

you ever done this sort of art professionally? I hope so

Thank you 😊 My job is in this sort of vein but not movie posters sadly!

Brilliant stuff @emtiem EON: please take note and negotiate a contract with emtien forthwith for Bond 26.

• Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,239MI6 Agent

The last of these kind of posters imo was for The World Is Not Enough.

I had this one on my wall and it's my favourite Brosnan film, though GE is better to dip into.

Modern posters tend to flag up the star players - perhaps on the insistence of their agents - movies like Lethal Weapon 2, Basic instinct and A Few Good Men set the trend for this. Likewise, Die Another Day has Brosnan and Berry in the foreground, it's all about them.

Of course, you can't stay in the past. Current release Licorice Pizza has an old-style poster to promote itself but it doesn't jump out at you, they tend to use a picture of a scene from the film - Haim and Hoffmann running along a street - to promote it. Maybe even be useful for promoting on hand-held devices because you see it better, same as how you won't get the intricate artwork of Sgt Pepper on today's albums because you just can't see it, so instead you get the kind of thing Macca did for his album New and McCartney III, see also Bowie's The Next Day, a very disappointing piece of artwork but it shows up on the iPod.

@emtiem 's artwork is brilliant of course it suggests No Time to Die is a fun, exciting film so not really a true depiction! Bond sat in the bullet-strewn Aston gives one a better foretaste. When I saw the other one I thought the AstroJet from Octopussy would make a return, as I'd heard the other Aston did too... When I saw the two 00s get into the plane I thought, okay, not the AstroJet then.

"This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,483MI6 Agent
    edited February 2022

I can’t remember the last time we had a decent Bond poster campaign. I quite liked the CR ones, but then it all went downhill. The last three particularly are pretty much all the same. They just look half arsed with no thought at all, just a generic image of Bond over part of the 007 logo. White background and that’s it. The Kings Man poster campaign went the same way. You had some really nice visuals on them, and then for the cinema release, they put out an awful one…

Teaser

Follow up pre release

And the last one was the cinema release poster. Who makes these decisions? And how much do they get paid for producing such lazy uninspired rubbish.

..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............

ha! I just figured out your secret identity on the Rival Forum!

anyway, I like the bubblegum cards. We havent had enough collectible bubble gum cards in recent decades.

• BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,053Chief of Staff

Oh, was that supposed to be a secret?

• JoshuaJoshua Posts: 1,138MI6 Agent

I haven't seen the film poster for NTTD. Is it the same as the DVD cover?

• Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,483MI6 Agent
  • JoshuaJoshua Posts: 1,138MI6 Agent

Ah! Thank you. It is very similar to the DVD.

Not really, it's the same name! 😁

anyway, I like the bubblegum cards. We havent had enough collectible bubble gum cards in recent decades.

Thanks! It was a bit of fun 😊

There were a few, and the early b/w one of Bond and Madeline through the shattered windows of the car didn't seem to get used much when the release date changed. There was also the white version with Bond with his back to camera which was okay.

I did rather like this one:

I said:

ha! I just figured out your secret identity on the Rival Forum!

barbel said:

Oh, was that supposed to be a secret?

emtiiem said:

Not really, it's the same name! 😁

Thanks! It was a bit of fun 😊

whoops I've just blown open a deep undercover mission years in the making!

anyway, I only figured it out because I move my lips when I read. Others who aren't so clever wont make the connection.

but I was hoping you'd show the bubblegum cards package here!

Oh okay, sure! I guess it's a bit off topic as it's a poster thread, but here you go:

I dont think we have a collectible bubble gum cards thread, so until we do this may be the best place for it!

if only this new movie had been released 40, 50 years ago we coulda had better posters, collectible bubble gum cars, all that great stuff essential to the fully rounded movie going experience

Start a new thread @caractacus potts on bubblegum cards and trading cards - I love them!