Could the Bond in the novels fly a plane and helicopter?

sirsosirso Posts: 209MI6 Agent

Could the Bond in the novels fly a plane and helicopter?

Comments

• caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,907MI6 Agent

off the top of my head, I dont think he has the opportunity anywhere in all of Fleming, except the end of Goldfinger

I just checked, and the hijacked plane has a crew who land the plane at gunpoint, after Bond has killed Goldfinger and Oddjob (Pussy's not a pilot in the book).

• sirsosirso Posts: 209MI6 Agent
    edited April 2022

I've only read Dr No, From Russia with Love, Goldfinger, Thunderball and OHMSS. None of these apart from, as you said, Goldfinger, has a plane scene. If I remember correctly, in Goldfinger the plane crashes into the sea at night, and Bond is either rescued by a boat or swims to shore. I can't remember if Pussy survived, or was even on the plane.

In those days, the 1950s, Fleming probably never conceived that an MI6 agent would need to fly a plane in a novel... or in life for that matter.

• caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,907MI6 Agent

@sirso !!! you should read the books!

• RevelatorRevelator Posts: 556MI6 Agent

Thunderball has a plane scene, but the plane (a Grumman Amphibian) is piloted by Felix Leiter.

• Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,239MI6 Agent

Bond's experience seemed to be limited to what Fleming could do, so scuba diving, stuff with cars and so on. It annoyed me that Craig's Bond could fly a Dakota in only his second film because his character was meant to be modelled on Fleming's Bond and it seemed to go off on a tangent, into Brosnan's world really. Remember that Connery's Bond only did this stuff in his fifth film YOLT - an autogyro - by which point his capabilities and his world had gone beyond that of Fleming, he was more a fantasy figure.

"This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • chrisno1chrisno1 LondonPosts: 3,177MI6 Agent

That's an interesting point about QOS which I never even considered. I think, given the long history of Bond suddenly piloting auto-gyros, planes, motorboats, motorcycles etc in his previous incarnations blinded me to the unlikelihood of this episode.

• emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,686MI6 Agent

It's a fun question, it doesn't seem unlikely to me that Bond in today's world would have found himself with a bit of plane tuition (or even done so himself as he's a bit of a petrolhead). Bond in the 50s would have had a bit less in the way of intensive instruction I guess.

Doesn't Gardner have Bond fly an attack helicopter in Cold? That does seem a bit much.

edited April 2022

I know. I don't know why I haven't read more. Maybe I'm too obsessed with the 1960s film versions and their style. I did read a book that had long summaries of all of Fleming's Bond novels and stories. It also had a history of the fictional Bond, other stuff related to the films, cars and gadgets etc. I forget the name of the book.

• Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,239MI6 Agent

Possibly Raymond Benson's James Bond Companion?

"This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017

Yes, I think it could have been.

• superadosuperado Regent's Park West (CaliforniaPosts: 2,651MI6 Agent

In John Gardner’s SeaFire, Bond flies a Royal Navy Hawker Harrier jet fighter, like the one after the TLD PTS in which Koskov is taken away on a RAF Harrier.

"...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....
    edited May 2022

I just remembered he flies a Jet Fighter - I can't recall the model- of some description in Win, Lose or Die, but he has to have a third of a book's worth of training to do it. If my memory serves me correctly the flying lessons dont have any relevance to the plot, Gardner uses it as the excuse to get OO7 undercover. All the best action takes place on an aircraft carrier, in Italy & Gibraltar.

• superadosuperado Regent's Park West (CaliforniaPosts: 2,651MI6 Agent

Thanks to Chrisno1’s post, my original statement is wrong, Bond pilots the Harrier jump jet in Win, Lose or Die and not in SeaFire.

"...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....
  • PPK 7.65mmPPK 7.65mm Saratoga Springs NY USAPosts: 1,227MI6 Agent

@emtiem: Yes, Bond does get behind the controls of an attack helicopter in COLD or as it was published in the USA , Cold Fall. Really enjoyed that particular part of the book when I read it.

Yes and I'd forgotten that. Cold is a minor gem from Gardner.