Movie Posters

Comments

• The Red KindThe Red Kind EnglandPosts: 3,119MI6 Agent
    "Any of the opposition around..?"
  • CoolHandBondCoolHandBond Mactan IslandPosts: 6,030MI6 Agent

@Barbel The Blob was Steve(n) McQueen’s first starring role. He played a teenager, not very convincingly as he was 28 at the time, but you could see that he had star quality where all around him was mediocrity. A couple of years later he found the big time with The Magnificent Seven and, as @The Red Kind has posted, the brilliant The Great Escape.

Following on from yesterday some more of those great 50’s creature features…

And some more horror/sci-fi lovelies…

Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.

Amicus were a rival to Hammer, and their portmanteau horror films were particularly good, but their output stretched far wider than horror and I’m a big fan of their movies, here is a selection…

Some posters painted by Robert McGinnis…

• HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff

As I proudly admit, I'm in the first generation of little nerds who became STAR WARS fans--10 years old in the summer of 1977, when the original film was released. I had this poster on my wall for ages. I now think it was probably authorized by 20th Century Fox marketing as the film was in post-production: they must have feared no one would want to see some dopey space opera, so they sold it on the promise of SEX. Anyone who's seen the film knows that Mark Hamill never shows such washboard abs, and the only unclothed parts of Carrie Fisher's anatomy we see are her head and hands.

Vox clamantis in deserto

That's a nice poster, Hardyboy.

Spaghetti westerns…

If a list of the biggest stars of the silver screen was compiled then John Wayne would be in the top 10 without doubt…

And with Pedro Armendariz - Bond’s greatest ally, Kerim Bey…

He was the centurion who speared Jesus on the cross in The Greatest Story Ever Told and legend tells us that when The Duke says his line “Truly, he was the son of God”, director George Stevens asked Wayne to say it again with awe and on the second take he says “Awwww, truly, he was the son of God”.

And some more…

The 1960’s had some great sci-fi movies with posters to match…

Charles Bronson was a popular co-star throughout the 60’s before making it big as a leading man in the 70’s with directors such as Michael Winner and J Lee Thompson…

Alfred Hitchcock movie posters…and Hitchcock related paperbacks are on the Book Covers thread as well…

• BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,053Chief of Staff

Some of my favourites there (and in the Book Cover thread).

• Golrush007Golrush007 South AfricaPosts: 3,418Quartermasters

Following on from CoolHandBond's Hitchcock selection, here are a set of posters for my favourite Hitchcock, Rear Window.

I deliberately left out some of Hitchcock’s best movies in the hope that a fan would post some of them, so thank you @Golrush007 those Rear Window posters are lovely.

I think FRWL would have been perfect for Hitchcock to direct, it would have been interesting to see what it would have become because Terence Young’s film is virtually perfect in itself.

John Sturges is one of my favourite directors and he had a string of hit movies which have lasted the test of time…

These are a few of my favourites from the film noir cycle of the 1940s and 50s.

@Golrush007 I love film noir so thanks for posting those brilliant posters.

Our own Terence Young directed these movies…

• chrisno1chrisno1 LondonPosts: 3,176MI6 Agent

That poster for In A Lonely Place really doesn't do the movie justice. It rather ruins the suspense with a tag line there's a surprise ending !

Some Guy Hamilton non-Bond movie posters…

• caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,907MI6 Agent

thats interesting to see the other films by the Bond directors, hopefully therell be a Lewis Gilbert followup post

does anybody know anything about Danger Grows Wild? thats got a huge list of actors, some very good who were in other 60s spymania films, and has 007 in big letters though I cant read the rest of the text. is it a spy film?

chrisno1 said:

That poster for In A Lonely Place really doesn't do the movie justice. It rather ruins the suspense with a tag line there's a surprise ending !

I havent seen that film, but the twist ending story is a genre all on its own, perhaps some viewers chose to see a film just knowing itd have a twist ending. Remember Hitchcock's promotional campaign for Psycho

I love all these movies, and hadn't seen all of the posters. Thanks, Golrush007.

And here are just a few of Lewis Gilbert’s non-Bond film posters @caractacus potts

Seven Nights In Japan is an interesting entry for Lewis Gilbert - he returns to Japan 10 years after helming YOLT with a role for Charles Gray, screenplay by Christopher Wood and edited by John Glen. I saw it a few years ago and it’s obviously based on the then Prince Charles, it’s pretty good.

And some Peter Hunt posters…

@caractacus potts I've never seen Danger Grows Wild, but I've heard of it under another title, The Poppy is Also a Flower. Besides the cast involved, the thing that I most know it for is that the story was developed by Ian Fleming himself, and the production was funded by the United Nations as some sort of anti-drug publicity.

• caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,907MI6 Agent

thanks @Golrush007 I'd never have guessed

that reminds me I've had that film bookmarked for a long time and never got round to watching it, its on youtube

I saw Danger Grows Wild in the cinema as a kid in the 60’s - I was excited to see Harold “Oddjob” Sakata again in a movie. Every print I’ve seen of this movie since then has been terrible. High time for a restoration.

Continuing the theme of Bond alumni - here are some non-Bond John Barry movies…

Here are some of cinematographer Ted Moore’s non-Bond movies…

Some of my favourites there- the scores, I mean. I'm very fond of "Mercury Rising", not one of his best known works.

I agree, Mercury Rising is a great score, and a very good film.

Bernard Lee was a sublime M, no one else has come even close to his crusty portrayal of the man who sends Bond on his missions. He was a reliable actor for small roles and his filmography is large, here are just a few movies that he has graced…

lets see this one in a more detail, since it is almost an official BondFilm

The lovely Lois Maxwell was in the following films (and with Bernard Lee in the film above)…