Brosnan movies that could/couldn't have worked with Dalton as Bond

John from CorkJohn from Cork Posts: 111MI6 Agent
edited May 2022 in The James Bond Films

Goldeneye is 95% Dalton and he'd easily have done a better job then PB with some tweaks. Tomorrow never dies wouldn't have suited Dalton imo, it's too much of a silly 90s action flick that hasn't stood the test of time very well. The world is not enough would have worked for Dalton with a good few changes, better writing & writers required, definitely lose Christmas Jones but the basic story would have been perfect for a Dalton Film. Day another Die, you may as well suggest Dalton for CR 1967😁😁😁😁😁

Comments

• caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,906MI6 Agent

Tomorrow never dies might have worked better with Dalton

the story of Paris Carver should have been a tragedy that carried through to the end of the film, like License to Kill. but thanks to poor writing, poor acting, and that plot thread disappearing the minute after the character's death, you'd never know. if done properly it'd be a perfect Dalton story

all four of those films would have needed better writing, to prop up his angsty overacting (which I like and would have preferred), instead of giving way to overextended action scenes like we got

• John from CorkJohn from Cork Posts: 111MI6 Agent
    edited May 2022

Actually if the Paris carver/Terri hatcher character was replaced with the return of Kara Milovy in that role, then maybe you'd have a good template for a Dalton TND.

• OrnithologistOrnithologist BerlinPosts: 583MI6 Agent

I know we encourage "what if" kind of questions on this forum, but may I offer the opinion that the Brosnan films work just fine with Brosnan. [And I have nothing whatsoever against Dalton] 😄

"I'm afraid I'm a complicated woman. "
    "- That is something to be afraid of."
  • emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,686MI6 Agent

I can't imagine Dalton doing very well in any of them to be honest. Brosnan had the charisma to fill the films.

• Jimmy BondJimmy Bond Posts: 324MI6 Agent

The thing is, I could easily had seen Dalton in all of those. The problem with the Brosnan entries was less the Bond character and more to do with the plotting of those flicks. DAD goes off the rails incredibly once they get in Iceland, and TND never recovers after Paris Carver and the Dr. Kaufman scene.

• MI6_HeadquartersMI6_Headquarters Posts: 168MI6 Agent
    edited June 2022

Agreed, to his credit he's a great actor, he's performance as how he said it was inspired by the books (which I'm partial into).

But the Bond in the films and the Bond in the books are different, we'd expect any Bond Actors to play it more like the films, the blueprint laid by Connery (and to the lesser extent, Moore).

So sorry to say but I couldn't imagine Dalton too, he lacks the charisma, fell flat on some of the one liners, looks awkward in some sex scenes or those scenes that needs to exude sexiness.

He didn't have the balance of humor, charm, sexiness and suaveness.

Even in Goldeneye, which many people thought of the Bond film that's written with Dalton in mind I couldn't still imagine him being there, especially those scenes with Xenia, Bond driving a tank, some of the outlandishness scenes in that film.

He's just pure gritty and serious, I don't know what he's supposed to play, Bond in the books wasn't super or dead serious, dour and gritty as Dalton's Bond was.

I mean the Bond in the books was a flawed man, he's bored, but he's still making jokes and being a jerk sometimes, he's also a bit of sarcastic, he's also a bit soft.

• emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,686MI6 Agent

Yes, imagine him in the tank scene in GE: he'd just disappear.

Brosnan might be a bit cheesy with the tie straightening stuff, but it works.