The return of Doctor Who (SPOILERS)

1555657585961»

Comments

• emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,686MI6 Agent
    edited May 2022

I have no idea what on earth you're arguing about or why, this is pettiness to the extreme. If you read my post and didn't understand that he wrote/rewrote 50 out of his 60 episodes, despite a much higher 31 of those being credited to other writers, then I can't help you. My point was that saying the ones he wrote were 'mostly misses' is to write off close to 85% of his tenure (yes, I remembered it being more at the time, as I've already admitted, but the point stands that it's still pretty much all his work).

If I was misquoting, as you're accusing me of, I would have left out the bit where RTD says which writers he didn't rewrite. But I quoted him accurately.

What I actually said it was “He can’t have written all the episodes himself if other writers wrote them - that’s nonsense of the highest order” - which is apparently true as you rightly point out 😁

Just to clear this up for you as you don't seem to have understood: 31 episodes under his tenure were credited to other writers, and yet he says in that quote that he would have written the final draft of around 21 of them. So he very much can have written episodes himself even if other writers wrote them, because he did. 21 times. (The last two he was given a co-writer credit on for the reasons I quoted in my previous post).

Anyway, here's a fun photo from Twitter, taken in London earlier today:

• The Red KindThe Red Kind EnglandPosts: 3,119MI6 Agent

Great to see DT back as The Doctor!👌

I see they've just announced the casting of Yasmin Finney as Rose..😵 No doubt they have something lined up in the plot to explain things, but following the announcement of Ncuti Gatwa as the new Doctor, it will probably fan the 'woke brigade' flames further. .

"Any of the opposition around..?"
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,417Chief of Staff

I understand perfectly, but as expected - and your usual MO - when proven wrong, double down and shift the goalposts and blame everyone else 🤣

YNWA 97
    edited May 2022

And you ignore all logic and just concentrate on a tiny issue in order to be argumentative. How have you proven me wrong? I said he wrote final drafts ("heavily rewritten") of all episodes in his reign, "apart from" the ones from major writers like Moffat (when looking into it I saw there were a couple more of those); you said that he "can’t have written all the episodes himself if other writers wrote them - that’s nonsense of the highest order" (you misquoted me as having said "all" with no qualifications of course): I proved to you you were wrong with quotes from RTD himself- he very much can have written episodes credited to other writers, and he rewrote the huge majority of them and was responsible for most of the series, which was exactly the original point I was making in response to someone who was claiming that most of the episodes he wrote were "misses". I don't know how else to demonstrate that to you. And now because you know you've been proven wrong you're doubling down by just pretending you're right and being personal. It's just unnecessarily argumentative and unpleasant.

If you have proof to say that I was wrong to say he had "heavily rewritten" all of the episodes in his reign "apart from" episodes by certain writers, because "other writers wrote them", and that it is nonsense of the highest order, post it here.

edited May 2022

The fun thing is that this seems to be a new version of Tennant's Doctor (new TARDIS, new outfit, new sonic, reportedly; Donna appears to have a daughter called Rose, Wilf is visibly older...) so is it possible that Jodie Whittaker regenerates into Tennant rather than Gatwa? 😊

Gatwa was very precisely not referred to as the 14th Doctor in the press release, and indeed the phrase 'Tenth Doctor' didn't appear anywhere in the release about Tennant and Tate returning... 😉

• The Red KindThe Red Kind EnglandPosts: 3,119MI6 Agent

It's all rather exciting. I just hope they get it right this time.. I've turned off through the JW tenure as I found the stories, scripts, cast and direction very poor.

For sure, I would have preferred a male actor instead of female actor as the Doctor, but aside, I never thought JW right. I certainly gave her a chance. Dolly Wells would have been a much better choice IMO.

"Any of the opposition around..?"
    edited May 2022

Dolly Wells would be great, yes indeed. I was even thinking that Catherine Tate would actually be pretty good.

But it is nice to know that someone actually capable of making exciting and engaging TV is back in charge. I'm sure its days of being a ratings juggernaut are all over, but I'll be happy if it's just good again - and there's no reason to think it won't be 😊

• caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,907MI6 Agent

wasnt the reason Donna Noble had her memories wiped in her final episode because she somehow fused with the Doctor mid-regeneration and absorbed all his TimeLord knowledge in her mere human brain? I gotta admit the technobabble was confusing, but she should have TimeLord knowledge locked up in that brain years later even if she cant access those memories. That would not make her an actual Timelord but theres story potential there.

I also gotta say her final episode packed an emotional wallop which is what I liked about Davies' best episodes. Compare with the outros of the Moffat companions, all of whom had much more violent disturbing fates, and I didnt care about any of them because I never felt anything for the characters (Danny Pink being a bit of an exception)

if I can make one simple request of the new show: One Companion who asks questions leading to exposition, leaving more space for the story of the week. the three companions just completely got in the way and still did not distinguish themselves as proper characters.

No, you proved yourself wrong 🤣 after trying to be argumentative with someone else 🙄

Moan.

Post.

Repeat.

YNWA 97
  • Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,483MI6 Agent
    edited May 2022

Didn’t bite. As it was too provocative and obvious. It’s getting boring to be honest and as that other discussion on FB regarding troublemakers and post baiters on here, I thought I’d go with the rest and just ignore it from now on. As most people seem to have pegged what’s going on. Best ignored.

..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
  • Shady TreeShady Tree London, UKPosts: 2,965MI6 Agent
    edited May 2022

Ncuti Gatwa is excellent casting for the role and I'm sure RTD will make a good job of running an entertaining show.

Repair work is needed after some uninspiring recent writing by Chibnall and others. Following what seemed like an attempt at a clean sweep in Jodie Whittaker's first season, the show's waning ratings have seen efforts to deploy, for Jodie's later stories, 'big hitters' from the past such as the Daleks, Cybermen, the Master, Sontarans, Sea Devils and Weeping Angels.... with mixed results, to put it as generously as possible. We're even getting a return of two classic companions, Tegan and Ace, for Jodie's finale. I love all of the great icons of the show's past - my personal centre of gravity is the early 70s Barry Letts/Terrance D* run, with a 'Bond-friendly' Jon Pertwee, Katy Manning, Roger Delgado and UNIT - but I do feel disappointed whenever classic elements are tarnished by messily written or poorly sketched reprises in the present.

If RTD is indeed looking to perform another clean sweep, for Ncuti Gatwa, that makes good sense, although I'm sure there'll still be some form of twisted in-universe continuity. RTD is too much of a fan to jettison the show's legacy outright. I remember how, during his first tenure on the show, he gradually brought back a number of classic monsters, particularly during David Tennant's seasons. In a sense, RTD's earlier work on the show is now, in itself, a wave of 'classic' stock from which he himself can draw. It's interesting to speculate about those images of Tennant and Catherine Tate filming a new scene or scenes - all part of whatever RTD has planned for the show's transition to its new incarnation, using up that pairing to lure back curious viewers as one of the show's 'biggest hits'.

I'm going to keep on watching...

*Hah! This site's in-built censor won't allow me to post the late, great Terrance's surname!

Critics and material I don't need. I haven't changed my act in 53 years.

Yeah, if this is set after Whittaker's time, as it seems to be, it will be interesting to see how they get out of the 'Donna can never remember or she'll die' thing. But I guess it just takes a hand wave technobabble explanation- hopefully it'll be something a bit more clever and integral to the story though.

edited May 2022

Oh man, you cannot be still trying to argue about this. I asked for proof, all you've got are emojis. You didn't understand, you got it wrong, we've moved on.

edited May 2022

Yeah it's very weird, after a first season where he didn't want anything from the past to the extent that the companions weirdly didn't even ask where the Doctor was from apparently so Gallifrey didn't get mentioned, Chibnall then leant so heavily on the past continuity button that we actually haven't had a single episode without an old monster/villain for over two years now. I think you're right about the clean sweep, although it is curious that he'd sort of reboot the show back by 15-odd years even if it's just temporary. It's all very interesting and I'll be excited to see where it all goes.