The Silencer & Black Garter

Comments

• Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,699MI6 Agent
    edited June 2022

It's impressie how the British are celebrating the last WWII veteran head of state. πŸ˜€

• BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,053Chief of Staff

Well, she wasn't head of state then, N24.

You know so much about history! 😁

You mean she isn't that old? Maybe she became head of state at some later point then ..... she did drive a green truck during the war.

• CoolHandBondCoolHandBond Mactan IslandPosts: 6,030MI6 Agent

I’m enjoying seeing the pictures of the Jubilee, as an ex-pat on the other side of the world, it’s heartening to see that no one does it (pomp and pageantry) better! A jug of Pimms would go down very nicely 🍹

Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.

Just do some arithmetic, N24. We're celebrating her 70 years as head of state right now therefore she became Queen in 1952. Her father was head of state before her including during WW2. Have you seen "The King's Speech"? Highly recommended and covers some of that period.

edited June 2022

"WWII veteran head of state" - veteran who's a head of state. I know it can be read in in different way, but in that case I'd just written "WWII head of state".

• The Red KindThe Red Kind EnglandPosts: 3,118MI6 Agent

Another interesting thing I heard her say yesterday in the enjoyable BBC special on The Crown Jewels is that she's watched one coronation and be crowned in one.😊

"Any of the opposition around..?"

It's Friday, and the sun is out (well, trying, anyway). A nice pint of your finest real ale please barman.

Looking forward to TMWTGG at Vue on Sunday. I've probably seen this Bond film more than any of the others, despite it not even being in my top 10, but this will be the first time on the big screen. For all its faults, I love the campness and, as with any film in the series, there are some truly great moments. Should be fun😊

• caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,906MI6 Agent

the approach to Scramanga island should look impressive on the big screen, thats one of the most spectacular locations ever. In fact it should be a contender for the Best Locations thread

There was a virtual forest of signs outside. Should I see see it as a sign of somethng?

• Lady RoseLady Rose London,UKPosts: 2,667MI6 Agent

I would hate for those grapes to have died in vain ... I'll have a large glass of Sauvignon blanc 😁

How thoughtful of you ☺️

edited June 2022

Wher are people? I urge Barbel to ban all members with a social life or at least make it harder for people with a real social life to join.

• The Domino EffectThe Domino Effect Posts: 3,631MI6 Agent

Sorry N24, I turned the wrong way coming out of the loo. Now, what's the special of the day...

Sorry, N24, been doing a bit of that "real life" thing myself.

edited June 2022

I'm saying sorry in advance for posting about politics, but I'll risk it. The tenth largest political party in Switzerland is Anti PowerPoint Partei - The Anti-Powerpoint Party. Finally a party that focuses on something worthwhile!

Anti-PowerPoint Party - Wikipedia

• The Domino EffectThe Domino Effect Posts: 3,631MI6 Agent

Perhaps they'll form a coalition with the Front for the Elimination of Zoom.

• Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,644MI6 Agent

As political posts here go I think that one's pretty innocuous. There really are parties for every cause under the sun and in the UK I suppose that our equivalent would be the Official Monster Raving Loony Party although the Anti PowerPoint Partei actually has more sensible policies than it ever had!

"The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
    edited June 2022

I don't get sense that The Anti-Powerpoint Party is a joke party. Perhaps it's more comparable to single-issue parties such as the regional anti toll fee parties in Norway?

• Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,644MI6 Agent

Yes, it is more a single-issue or special interest party though I can't help feeling that their interests would be better served in a pressure group as I'm not sure they'll get very far in the world of politics. Voters are affected by more than single issues (no matter how important) and they want to know the whole range of policies a political party has before they decide to vote for them.

"The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
    edited June 2022

According to Wikipedia:

While the party is based in Switzerland, it styles itself as a global party. The party chose to found itself in Switzerland as the requirements for forming a political party are lesser there, and out of a belief that the best way to gain media attention on the party's cause was by forming a political party.

But you still make a good point. Single-issue parties rarely have broad appeal or staying power, at least if the single issue isn't sufficiantly broad like the Green parties around the world.

Good Afternoon All, It's HOT, HOT, HOT here in Blighty, so an ice cold Mojito please, barman.

Will try and make the most of the nice weather this evening as tomorrow we move from 32 degrees sunshine to 17 degrees and rain☹️ As the old saying goes here; "We had a lovely summer this year, but unfortunately I was working that day".

The weather forecast for tomorow is 12 degrees Celsius and rain. To quote the comic strip Nemi: "I live in Mordor ....". πŸ˜‚

Absolutely! The author Lise Myhre even looks like her. 🀟

First time I've seen her. Didn't realise she based Nemi on herself?

I think Lise Myhre said she know she would "spend a lot of time" with her character, so Nemi couldn't be someone she disliked. Both like dragons, LoTR, black clothes, heavy metal, chacolate, animals and are anti-racists. But it more a case of Nemi being someone Myhre would liekas a friend.

• Lady RoseLady Rose London,UKPosts: 2,667MI6 Agent

Pub Quiz Time!! Question on 'Who Wants To be A Millionaire' tonight ...

In which James Bond film is 007 shown to kill only one person ?

a) FRWL

b) OHMSS

c) TMWTGG

d) TLD

Saw that on TV tonight and knew it was TMWTGG before it came up. I'm pretty sure that it's been a question on a quiz show before. A good Pub Quiz question, as you say.