Last film seen...

Comments

• CoolHandBondCoolHandBond Mactan IslandPosts: 6,030MI6 Agent

I haven’t seen any of the Footsoldier films, but Craig Fairbrass is in Mrs CHB’s favourite movie, Cliffhanger, and he’s in a really good London gangster movie called St. George’s Day, which I’m sure your husband has seen.

Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.
  • JoshuaJoshua Posts: 1,138MI6 Agent

Yes. That is the film. There was another one on too with the same Doctor Who, but I did not see that.

• BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,053Chief of Staff

That's called "Dr Who And The Daleks", which I remember seeing in the cinema.

The actor playing Dr Who (note: not "The Doctor") is the late Peter Cushing, famed for his horror movies (mainly for Hammer), playing Sherlock Holmes on film and TV, and for "Star Wars".

• Lady RoseLady Rose London,UKPosts: 2,667MI6 Agent

Yes he has.

I forgot Craig Fairbrass was in Cliffhanger. He's still in very good shape. 😜

• Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,416Chief of Staff

Both films have just been the 4k treatment and will be shown at certain cinemas again soon…plus there was a treatment for a third film…

YNWA 97

JURASSIC WORLD: DOMINION (2022)

So, our first trip to the cinema since covid closed them down here over 2 years ago. This is the third entry of the Jurassic World trilogy, and the 6th in the entire Jurassic franchise. Owen (Chris Pratt) and Claire (Bryce Dallas Howard) are back, and living in the mountains in a cabin with the cloned teenage daughter of Benjamin Lockwood, from the previous film. Maisie is kidnapped and then the search is on for her along with the side plot of genetic research shenanigans. It all gets a bit confusing, but it rattles on at a decent pace and the return of Sam Neill, Laura Dern and Jeff Goldblum from the original “Park” movies is a big plus. As it always seems to be with films nowadays (and my usual bone of contention) it’s a good 15-20 minutes too long, but the several set pieces are exciting and the CGI is mostly good.

I would rank it the least of the 6 movies in the franchise, but that doesn’t mean I didn’t enjoy it, new character Kayla is very good, for example, it’s an entertaining film, which is pretty much all you can ask for.

Thor and Thor:The Dark World.

Introduced my 82 years old father to MCU.

It went down well though he couldn't work out if Loki is alive or dead ... I said that's what you get when dealing with the God of Mischief . 🤣

We'll do Ragnarok next.

( Bit annoying they aren't stand alone films. I'll assume The Avengers came between Thor and The Dark World which then left a few unexplained bits in Dark World.)

• caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,906MI6 Agent

I think Infinity War picked up exactly where Ragnarok left off, and then Endgame leaves Thor in a completely different situation. but theres a cast of thousands in those two films, and the culmination of dangling plot-threads from many non-Thor films, probably those two wont make sense without having seen twenty previous movies even if Thor's story continues in them.

has anyone seen the new one yet? do you need to have seen what Thor and Loki did in Infinity War and Endgame to understand this latest Thor movie? or can they be skipped?

The Philadelphia Experiment (2012)

I'm not sure who to blame for this incoherent mess of a movie, the writer or the director, but that was 90 wasted minutes. It starts well then falls to pieces. I'd read better reports of this film but I think I must have been reading about the earlier version from 1984. Confusingly, they have the same star (Michael Pare) but are distinct films. I'm deterred from watching the earlier film now.

• Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,644MI6 Agent
    edited June 2022

I know I have a paperback book in my vast collection of random titles called The Philadelphia Experiment. I think it had something to do with making a warship disappear but I never got around to reading it. I picked it up as it looked positively Fortean to me. Didn't realise they'd filmed it.

"The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).

Thanks.

My own viewing of MCU is all over the place. I didn't see them when they first came out and I recently went straight to Infinity War and Endgame. My daughter was horrified. 'You can't do that!!' 🤣

It didn't matter to me because I knew all he characters and back stories etc etc. I randomly saw Ant Man and that was fun.

I'll do Avengers with Dad so that can fill in a few gaps then go to Ragnorok (which I am looking forward to) then Infinity War and Endgame.

I've heard very mixed things about Age of Ultron. It was actually filmed where I worked. They were there for months. Massive white marquees all over the show but we never saw a thing. No Chris Hemsworth wandering around the grounds in his y fronts. It was Peel Centre, Hendon Police College.

https://mculocationscout.com/2020/08/09/novi-grad-square-sokovia-mcu-location-scout/

Well, there is a warship but it leaps about from place to place. They have to get the correct man on board the ship to make it return to its proper time. Terrible stuff.

Thanks for all the MCU advice. I think I have a plan of action for my viewing now. 😄

• Golrush007Golrush007 South AfricaPosts: 3,418Quartermasters

THE ROBE (1953)

A classic 1950s Roman/Biblical epic, and famous for being the first film shot in CinemaScope. I have a soft-spot for the biblical epics of this era, and while this is no Ben-Hur, it did have its good moments, some good looking sets and cinematography, lots of matte paintings (which I do enjoy) and a good starring performance by Richard Burton. Also, a decent score by Alfred Newman.

• Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,238MI6 Agent

Good Luck To You Leo Grande aka Emma Thompson gets her kit off

I enjoyed this, it's about a lonely widow in her 50s who arranges to meet a male prostitute in a hotel room to find out what sex is like after a long unfulfilled marriage. Writing to praise this is harder than simply enjoying it. It's mainly two people chatting in a hotel room so it could be a stage play - if so, you'd feel short-changed. That said, if you saw it on TV you might switch over because to the immediate temptation of other channels. The thing about cinema is it forces you to sit and absorb what is going on.

The performances are very good, it seemed to be Rebecca Front would have been good in the Thompson role but she isn't a movie star. The main intrigue admittedly is seeing just how a person would get on arranging to meet a stranger for sex, all the social awkwardness and so on. To compound the drama, the cinema - which only had three people in or thereabouts - was devoid of sound so I had to hunt someone down to fix it and then the sound came on too loudly so I went out again, 'We're aware of the problem' said the usherette pointedly, it was all straying into @ChrisNo1 territory (annoying situations at the cinema, not meeting prostitutes for sex in hotel rooms).

The film hit a few false notes and a couple more came to me when I got home but this was enjoyable stuff. Whether it's worth £12 on a matinee compared to say Top Gun, well you don't quite get your money's worth in terms of spectacle, the hotel room is not sexy or interesting but the writer and director Katy Brand (wasn't she a dodgy comedian at one point?) makes it cinematic enough without getting all pretentious about it. The film does have strong comedic scenes but is not wholly realistic in that the characters always have something to say. You can get into the idea that the situation is highly idealised but it's a bit like saying, wow, in an action film you can't be thrown through a plate glass window and not be scratched, you just go with it. Not sure a middle-aged man would be given the same sympathy going with a prostitute, I suppose am forgetting films like Risky Business and Pretty Woman. Then again, in Hollywood tradition, these guys aren't exactly losers, as Cruise's teenager has his life ahead of him and rich parents, Gere's businessman drives a flash car and is also a millionaire.

Emma Thompson gets her kit off for the final scene a bit like Mark Warlberg in Boogie Nights minus the false penis.

"This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • Bond fan from OzBond fan from Oz Posts: 88MI6 Agent

Robocop (1987)

Pretty good sci-fi/action flick from Paul Verhoeven, even if some of the violence goes over-the-top.

3.5/5

• chrisno1chrisno1 LondonPosts: 3,172MI6 Agent

Some of you guys discussed this before:

SHE (1965)

Not quite King Solomon's Mines, not quite Gothic horror, this remake of a thirties flop looks quite expensive for a Hammer product - there's even location shooting in Israel and, thanks to funding from MGM, decent sets constructed at Elstree instead of Bray.

She was poorly received by critics. As in the RKO original, a group of explorers search for a fabled lost city and discover its Queen holds the secret of eternal life. This familiar premise doesn't contain enough worthwhile actions to hold our interests. The production facets are distinctly average. The 'horror' elements feel tacked on. The passable script attempts to be profound but ends up short-changing its actors and its audience. The comic interludes involving Bernard Cribbens' valet are cringe-worthy. The love stories are non-existent due to the lack of chemistry between 'hero' John Richardson and both Ursula Andress [from Dr No] and Rosenda Monteros [from The Magnificent Seven]. The latter endures a whole film's worth of flimsy see-through costuming. The former is yet again dubbed by Nikki van der Zyl. Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee share one great scene of characterful insight. Everything and everyone else is a bit shambolic.

Director Robert Day made his name in Britain, but was in the middle of a run of internationally produced Tarzan movies. That franchise had made efforts to become more robust and modern-thinking. She feels old-fashioned even for Hammer's Victorian based horror / adventure films. Still, remarkably popular in its day, critics or not.

I remember the ending of She, when she goes back into the flame, seriously scaring me as a kid 😃

• Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,699MI6 Agent
    edited July 2022

I haven't seen this one, but I liked the 1930's one and found the sets impressive.

On Saturday night I watched Future World (1976). I had seen West Word a couple of years ago and although I am not interested in science fiction really, I did enjoy that film.

The Future World was absolute rubbish, in fact I think it is the worst film I have seen. I managed to watch it for about an hour until there was a scene where a woman was dreaming about dancing with the robot gun fighter from West World. I then turned off.

It seemed to be very cheaply made, and everything about it, from the story to the acting was extremely poor.

Wow. I didn't even know Yul Brynner was even in it.

Yes, I agree with the above- it's not a patch on the original Westworld. Yul Brynner has only a cameo.

ELVIS (Baz Luhrmann, 2022)

A long but very enjoyable look at the life of Elvis, seen through the eyes of his manager Colonel Tom Parker. Tom Hanks is excellent (of course) as Parker, but young Austin Butler steals the show as Elvis. After a while, you stop thinking of him as an actor and begin to feel you are watching Elvis- and by the end, you are. It's roughly chronological with some wonderful touches.

This is the scene. The film was on Talking Pictures TV and I suppose it will be repeated soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4LidfkbW68

• Bond fan from OzBond fan from Oz Posts: 88MI6 Agent

21 Hours at Munich (1976)

William Holden, Shirley Knight and Franco Nero star in this compelling (made-for-television) film dramatisation of the terrorist incident at the 1972 Munich (Summer) Olympics when Arab terrorists broke into the Olympic compound and took Israeli athletes hostage.

A good film with some suspenseful moments.

edited July 2022

MINORITY REPORT (2002)

Steven Spielberg’s phenomenally successful expansion of a Philip K. Dick short story involves Tom Cruise’s law enforcement officer coming under suspicion of committing a ‘pre-crime’ and fleeing from his own agents in an attempt to unravel the truth behind the god-like ‘pre-cogs’ who predict the future.

Exceptionally well-presented and benefitting from a non-starry cast [Cruise aside] the film is tense and exciting as well as reflective, providing another take on Orwell’s ‘thought crime.’ The adventure owes more to The Fugitive and even climaxes with a scene of public humiliation, itself as old as Hitchcock’s The 39 Steps. Its view of the future isn’t very expansive, a statutory dystopian bleakness pervades. An epidemic of murder has encompassed America and the District of Colombia’s Pre-crime system seems to provide a solution, stopping felonies before they take place. The flaw, of course, is that the system never accounts for self-determination and is therefore a prejudicial form of justice. And somewhere unknown, someone unseen is tampering with the system.

Many plot holes abound if you want to look for them. I recommend you don’t. Just enjoy the taut action sequences and the glitzy look-in to a supposed future, which isn’t much different to our present. The same issues surrounding truth, law and justice still exist, society is still on the verge of breakdown. There is poverty, wealth and a powerful elite who abuse their positions.

Max von Sydow is impressive as the wily businessman Lamar Burgess, and Colin Farrell strikes a solid note as an abrasive Senate Investigator. Cruise dominates proceedings with his usual charming, one-dimensional action man skit, which is about all that’s really required. If, like me, you suffer from arachnophobia, the scene involving the robotic miniature spiders is terrifying. Other sequences seems at odds with the general seriousness: Lois Smith surrounded by dancing plants is particularly bizarre. The production values are generous.

Regularly re-evaluated, Minority Report is one of the better sci-fi epics of the early 2000s. The movie benefits from being less sentimental than Spielberg’s usual fare.

Very good indeed

THE ANGRY SILENCE (1960)

Richard Attenborough is a family man, his wife is pregnant with their third child, he refuses to take part in an unofficial strike at the factory where he works because he would not be paid. An outside activist, and the shop steward (played by our own Bernard Lee) , organise reprisals against those who refuse to strike. The acting is excellent and it’s good to see Bernard Lee get his teeth into an unfamiliar role. Further Bond alumni turn up in the shape of Geoffrey Keen, Laurence Naismith and Bernard Horsfall. There is a small role for Oliver Reed and television presenter legend Alan Whicker, appears as himself as a reporter. The battle of the unions against business is laid bare here, most of the union demands are portrayed as trivial, the influence of the outside activist is an important part of the film. I can imagine that the film didn’t go down very well in many parts of the country. Carry On At Your Convenience, which mocked the unions, failed miserably in its usual strongholds. Whatever your views on unions is, this is an excellent piece of cinema which reflects the times when Britain actually had a manufacturing industry.

Seven Days To Noon.

A great film about a scientist who steals a small nuclear bomb and threatens to detonate it if the UK does not disarm.

It is a very good film which I recommend to everyone. It was on Talking Pictures TV so is sure to be shown again.

Here is a clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vp5IhXCPHEw

• The Red KindThe Red Kind EnglandPosts: 3,119MI6 Agent

I agree. I think it's underrated. But I like his War of the Worlds, so I might not be the best person to comment.

On seeing Tom Cruise (everywhere) recently, I always think how good he still looks and doesn't really age, but when you see him in Minority Report, he looks a LOT younger. Fair enough though, it was 20 years ago. Guess it's just an eye opener as well, how quickly time flies. I remember watching Minority Report at the cinema thinking this is an older version of the Tom Cruise we saw in Top Gun, Rain Man, Cocktail etc.

"Any of the opposition around..?"

The Masks Of Death (1984)

aka "Sherlock Holmes and The Masks Of Death". Peter Cushing as an elderly Sherlock Holmes in his last go as the character, with John Mills as Dr Watson and a starry if equally elderly supporting cast (Ray Milland, Anne Baxter). Set just before WW1, a passable mystery let down by TV movie production. Cushing is as note perfect as ever- Holmes always brought the best out of him, even if the productions weren't always as good as they could have been (eg the BBC TV series he was in).

By this time, Peter Cushing had pretty much retired except for perhaps a guest appearance or cameo. This was his last top-billed leading role and I like to think he was tempted back out of retirement (much as Sherlock Holmes was in the story) by the chance to play Holmes one last time.