Henry Cavill No1 Botanicals Commercial

DblOJoeDblOJoe Posts: 67MI6 Agent

What is everyone’s thoughts? Seems like this commercial has people buzzing about the subtle 007 plug. I personally am still not on the Henry Cavill wagon. My gripe is that from the neck down he doesn’t fit the bond build. He looks like a club bouncer about to burst out of his clothes. I can’t see him running around and being athletic. Could he drop 30lbs of muscle for the role? The entire time in this video I kept thinking of Hinx being Bond and it feels ridiculous.

Comments

• HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,736MI6 Agent

Cavill does appear to be a pretty bulky guy these days; not fat but lots of muscle mass. I would agree that is not the right look for Bond.

I would think that with proper diet and the right training program Cavill could be leaned out to a more Bond like physique. IMO, Bond should look more like a middleweight boxer than an NFL linebacker.

• Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,699MI6 Agent
    edited June 2022

The commercial isn't subtle, is it?

James Bond should have the physique more like a professional swimmer or cross country skier. Very fit, but no muscles just for the sake of having big muscles.

• AugustWalkerAugustWalker Posts: 880MI6 Agent

The commercial doesn’t „mean“ anything.

Just the producers acknowledging HC‘s informal Bond-connection and playing with it.

As for his body, he definitely is very muscular. But I don’t think that would rule him out, personal trainers would sort that out…

Always thought that Craig‘s body from QoS onwards (particularly in NTTD) was very fitting for the role.

The name is Walker by the way.

IG: @thebondarchives
    Check it out, you won’t be disappointed :)
  • JellyfishJellyfish EnglandPosts: 461MI6 Agent

Surely he knows you can just get water from the tap? And I'm surprised the tailor didn't try to sell him a shirt to go with that suit.

• The Red KindThe Red Kind EnglandPosts: 3,118MI6 Agent

I always thought Lucky Vanous had the perfect Bond physique.

Aiden Turner too;

Bond should look fit, athletic, strong, toned and lean, with little body fat. Not a beef cake. I'm sure HC would slim down suitably for the role. He's just way too big at the moment.

"Any of the opposition around..?"
  • Royale-les-EauxRoyale-les-Eaux LondonPosts: 814MI6 Agent

In London if you get water from the tap you currently get a side of Polio.

• Royale-les-EauxRoyale-les-Eaux LondonPosts: 814MI6 Agent

I'd challenge anyone worried about Cavill's running and jumping to tag along on a Durrell challenge with him.

• Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,416Chief of Staff

It’s his acting I’m more concerned about …IF he gets the gig 🙈

YNWA 97
  • SeanIsTheOnlyOneSeanIsTheOnlyOne Posts: 402MI6 Agent

Two means of reading it:

1) Cavill thinks given what happened in 2005 with Campbell, he deserves the job more than anyone else and wants to remind the producers he's ready now, which is not very subtle. It's a little bit like a child with a toy he has been waiting for and who tells his parents they should give it to him now because it's the right time.

2) Cavill knows he won't get the part and that's why he decides to take it with humour and self-mockery.

Anyway this commercial makes me think he WON'T be Bond. Discretion is the key and he played a terrible move with this.

• ichaiceichaice LondonPosts: 593MI6 Agent

I’m pretty sure if Cavill gets the job, he will do all that is required and then some. Looks like there’s a steely determination with this chap. This advert shows there’s a bit of humour in there as well.

Yes. Considerably!
  • OrnithologistOrnithologist BerlinPosts: 583MI6 Agent

I think so too. He did a great job on "The Witcher". Some people may (still) laugh at video games being made into movies or series, but the key here is that he "studied" the source material very keenly to portray the main character in as faithful a way as possible. And hence he is loved by the fans. Geralt of Rivia, although from the fantasy genre, also has some similarities with Bond, i.e. a tough professional killer who supposedly shows little to no emotions, but there is still a character underneath, with humor and so forth. If Cavill is enthusiastic about Bond, I'm sure we would be in for some very good movies.

Edit: Of course, The Witcher books existed before the games.

"I'm afraid I'm a complicated woman. "
    "- That is something to be afraid of."
  • The Red KindThe Red Kind EnglandPosts: 3,118MI6 Agent
    edited June 2022

I get the feeling the producers would rather do the selecting and coming up with their own man, than have an actor 'suggest' or 'give a nod' to themselves as a great candidate. It may have been a factor in Clive Owen not getting the role in 2005 following his terrific BMW adverts in the early 2000's? Having said that HC was almost their man in 2005 so they obviously like him, but the HC of 2022 is a completely different prospect commercially and physically than he was back then.

"Any of the opposition around..?"
  • OrnithologistOrnithologist BerlinPosts: 583MI6 Agent

They considered him at age 22? I laugh at all the 50-somethings still hyped up as Craig's successors (Idris Elba... *cough*), but that seems a bit extreme in the other direction.

"I'm afraid I'm a complicated woman. "
    "- That is something to be afraid of."
  • danjaq_0ffdanjaq_0ff The SwampsPosts: 7,283MI6 Agent

Henry Cavil at a script reading at 138, summer 2005. The word going around at the time was everyone not just Campbell was impressed with him.

• Miles MesservyMiles Messervy Posts: 1,757MI6 Agent

I think he would be a spectacular Bond. That advert with the DB5 shows a bit of lightness and humor that’s been missing from Bond since Brosnan left the role. Craig’s dour, joyless, pouting portrayal has me ready for some of that to return.

I have the strong feeling he won't get the part, so why bother ?

I would love Aidan Turner but I know Barbara will disappoint me in the way she intends to, as usual since 2005 😢

• Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,699MI6 Agent
    edited June 2022

BB's check list: 😁

1) Disapoint SeanIsTheOnlyOne

2) Finding a way to somehow make another topless scene for Daniel.

3) Summer holliday

4) Planning Christmas gifts

5) Christmas!

6) Miscellaneous

7) Start thinking of Bond26

From 1 to 6 everything is correct. The last one is nothing but fiction... 😜