New poll (2020): Who do you want as the next James Bond?

Comments

• BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,053Chief of Staff

James Bond isn't English..... just saying, too.

• HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,737MI6 Agent

Nothing like a 6'5" secret agent to stand out in a crowd.😁

• Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,703MI6 Agent

James Bond movies have always been very realistic in every way, especially when it comes to agent 007 being descrete and secretive in every way. We also remember Jaws, an other assassin who didn't stand out in a crowd at all. 😁

• The Red KindThe Red Kind EnglandPosts: 3,119MI6 Agent

Perhaps grammatically I could have been clearer or worded it differently, but from my experience the people I've spoken too (colleagues, friends, family, fellow Bond fans and you tubers are divided in their opinion of the film, especially the ending. Of the first three categories of persons mentioned above, I've not met one that is happy with the ending, (most actually strongly oppose it). Whereas every single person I've interacted with loved Top Gun: Maverick. Just saying. I fully accept many people love and enjoyed NTTD.

I've never said I or everyone hates it. I do not like Daddy Bond or the ending (Iove the tension, score, lair and stairwell action here) and I've said on more than one occasion there are some great and truly classic parts of the film, in every aspect.

"Any of the opposition around..?"
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,417Chief of Staff

With respect…your sample poll is probably small in comparison to how many people have actually seen the film…so “less than favourable” probably doesn’t stand…divisive, no question - but extremely difficult to quantify…most of the people I’ve spoken to at work liked the film but were more puzzled as to how Bond can continue than the actual death of Bond…🙂

YNWA 97
  • Miles MesservyMiles Messervy Posts: 1,757MI6 Agent
    edited July 2022

I realize many people loved NTTD and it made a ton of money in a bad market. But at the end of the day filmgoing is a subjective experience. I dislike the film very much and my opinion is not affected by external criteria. That might be a minority view, but if even a quarter of Bond fans feel that way it’s far from insignificant. So I think Red Kind is correct in his observation. There is no way to truly quantify it.

We can quantify if a movie is a success, but our own opinion of a movie is an individual matter. By this I mean I'm right about how good the movie is! 😉😂

😁

• BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,053Chief of Staff
    edited July 2022

I don't like the ending, as I've said before. It prevents me from enjoying the film, which has many good points (and many bad ones, as again I've said before). But, and it's a big but, my opinion is an unusual one. Not many go back with the series as far as I do- I remember George Lazenby being announced as the new James Bond, for example. I therefore realize that I am very much in the minority and do not expect Eon to be making films to suit me.

It doesn't stop me grousing about it, though!

• Shady TreeShady Tree London, UKPosts: 2,965MI6 Agent
    edited July 2022

Having seen 'The Gray Man' today, I'm now gunning for Ryan Gosling as Bond.

As my short review here (with no substantial spoilers) suggests, 'The Gray Man' is a film which is knowing about NTTD as it works out its own place in the market for action genre fare. It's spent a week in cinemas, I believe, ahead of streaming on Netflix from this weekend:

https://www.ajb007.co.uk/discussion/comment/1047233#Comment_1047233

Here's a link to Gosling's interview with Sky News on the Bond connection and his own prospects for the part:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/news.sky.com/story/amp/ryan-gosling-on-bond-bollywood-and-babies-on-set-12657016

Critics and material I don't need. I haven't changed my act in 53 years.

Ryan Gosling is very talented, but in my opinion American movie stars shouldn't play James Bond. As a (very) general rule Bond movies should make stars, not hire them.

• LuciusNightmareLuciusNightmare Posts: 244MI6 Agent

He's Canadian - which makes him from the Commonwealth, so BB would consider him. However, The Gray Man was bland and uninspiring. It was basically a very subpar 'Bourne meets Fast & Furious' film. It was boring and wasted its cast. Ryan Gosling should be a Leonardo DiCaprio elite level actor. He shouldn't be wasted in material like this. (Even the great Ana de Armas was boring to watch.) It felt as though the Russo Brothers learnt all the wrong lessons from the Bond films. It was as if they were trying to imitate DIE ANOTHER DAY! Why?!

Anyway......Jacob Elordi should be the next James Bond

I know Gosling is Canadian. Even though Canada is a part of the Commonwealty he's seen as an American movie star. That's only natural since Canada is a huge country on the north American continent.

• SomeoneSomeone Posts: 1,537MI6 Agent

In the light of the recent info about Bond26 being expected in 2024 and EON interested in a Bond who is a young 30 something I think almost all of the candidates in the last 22 pages can be discounted. I've made some suggestions on another thread about Bond's reinvention, none of whom were on Number24's original list on page 1.

The one name on Number24's list who I do think is a strong contender and I think I have mentioned him on AJB before is, Tom Brittney. He is 31 years old and he is over 5' 10 which is another of the alleged criteria EON are using but there is one more very important fact. He was in Babs Broccoli's Film stars don't die in Liverpool. He has a very small role but I think this must put him in any shortlist.

I'd recommend Number24 create a new list, capping the age at 32 for example, and making sure they are above 5' 10 in height.

While almost all the candidates in the poll are too old to be in their thirties in 2024 (or later), we have mentioned a number of younger candidates in the posts in the threads. I may make a new poll, but I think I'll place the age limit to 35 in stead of 32. If anyone else wish to make such a poll they are of course free to do so.

edited August 2022

I've made a list of actors for a new poll. I've included actors who're 35 years or younger, including actors who were in the poll in this thread. I've also included a few actors who are older. This because they have very much become a part of the conversation, but weren't included in the current poll. I haven't included every actor suggested in this thread, but I've tried to include those who's been mentioned several times. If you want to include any more actors this is the time and place to do so. I won't take any responsibility for any factual mistakes even though they're mine. 😉

Tom Brittany (1990)

Jack Lowden (1990)

Tom Bateman (1989)

Josh Bowman (1988)

Aaron Taylor-Johnson (1990)

Nicholas Hoult (1989)

Harris Dickson (1996)

Jacob Elordi (1997)

Rege-Jean Page (1988)

Harry Styles (1994)

Will Poulter (1993)

Dev Patel (1990)

Callum Turner (1990)

Aaron Pierre (1994)

Robert Pattinson (1986)

Will Poulter is going to be the super hero Adam Warlock for Guardians of the Galaxy 3 so I think that rules him out as Bond.

Admittedly the claim that EON wants a young 30-something is a rumour but it came from Ross King on UK TV and he is well connected who always has one on one interviews with the leading actors and director and Babs and Michael, he is the entertainment reporter for a major UK TV channel, ITV, so I'd put good money on the actor taking the role NOT being 35 even in 2024.

People forget Sean Connery was 31 when he was announced as the actor playing James Bond.

As for the rest of the list, are they all over 5' 10 - the other part of Ross King's claim? Robert Pattinson is over 5' 10 but he is Batman now. And he's been very famous in other roles for some time.

Hoult and AJT can be ruled out for the same reason, too famous already for other roles.

Harry Styles. Eh, does anyone think Babs Broccoli would choose him?!

There is no UK born Jack London according to IMDB advanced name search.

@Number24, did you add UK to the place of birth for your IMDB name search?

• emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,686MI6 Agent

I really wouldn’t put all that much trust in Ross King! He’s the LA-based gossip guy for a breakfast show.

• AugustWalkerAugustWalker Posts: 880MI6 Agent

Will Poulter‘s eyebrows rule him out of Bond.

The name is Walker by the way.

IG: @thebondarchives
    Check it out, you won’t be disappointed :)

It's Jack Lowden, not London. My mistake, or possibly Autocorrect. I'll change it.

Interesting, Lowden is a Laurence Olivier award winner and we know Babs loves her theatre. And he's 6' 1 so no problems with the height. I think he could be a strong contender. He also has that good mix of TV and film roles.

That actor Sean Connery hasn't got a hope at the role then.

The stuff I was finding online after the Jamaica reveal, he had really great access and was actually there in Goldeneye with the cast so I think you're underestimating the standing he has with EON - and those big studios that he lives next to in LA and has worked with for many years...

He went to Mexico to interview the cast on the Spectre set.

https://twitter.com/TheRossKing/status/582376191660683264

The 'breakfast show' you're referring to, 'Good Morning Britain,' is for one of the UK's biggest channels, ITV. This isn't some small outfit. And Ross King is Ross King MBE, a royal award. So that's Mr King to you emtiem!

I'm not Ross King, just in case anyone is wondering...

• HalfMonk HalfHitmanHalfMonk HalfHitman USAPosts: 2,324MI6 Agent

Lots of journalists went to Mexico for a SPECTRE set visit. One of them came back and spelled it SPECTER throughout the entire piece.

Harry Styles is, according to early reports, absolutely terrible in his upcoming film DON'T WORRY DARLING, so I'll be curious to see how that all shakes out. Seems too boyish for Bond besides. The youngest two to get the role (Connery at 31 and Lazenby at 29) looked like grown men, which is a challenge in the contemporary landscape of 30-year-olds!

• emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,686MI6 Agent
    edited August 2022

Okay, believe everything he says then 😊 But I suspect you've never actually seen GMB otherwise you might think differently... 😉

If I make another poll it's not because of that link, but mainly because of the passing of time. Some actors age out and others are seen as possible candidates. It's also because of BB's statement that Bond26 won't start production in at least two years.

Good point, Lazenby was only 29 when he was cast. With IMDB I did find it hard to find any realistic candidates below 30. And, yes, many of the actors profiles have pictures of them as children, it would seem. They don't seem to have the necessary TV and movie experience either. They can't be baby faced to be Bond. It might be that it just takes up to 10 years now to get that experience so any Bond candidate is never going to be younger than 30.

Have you considered Jacob Elordi?

• Miles MesservyMiles Messervy Posts: 1,757MI6 Agent

I think Tom Bateman deserves a look.

edited August 2022

I think Jacob Elordi has obstacles being 6' 6 and Australian. I really think the next Bond is going to be an English actor. I don't think Americans will really accept an Australian and the US box office is 50% of the gross. I think Lazenby was a one off and we live in an age of 24h media, Elordi would probably face worst criticism than Craig did. Being 6' 6 I think is the biggest problem, Bond, while having extraordinary abilities, and a lot of luck, is not superhuman and I think at 6' 6 he would tower over everyone in the cast and would seem demi-god like.

Tom Bateman, he just doesn't look like a Bond to me. Craig might have been Mr Craggy Face but he had that broad build and looked like he would punch you in the face for looking at him the wrong way. Bateman just looks like a sub-par romcom actor to me, sorry.

I'd add that the audition is all important and we don't know how well or badly any our preferred candidates would do.

Looking back at the actors I would have been aware of in 2006, I might have said Jamie Bamber could be Bond. Craig was a surprise.