Tributes Thread

Comments

• Shady TreeShady Tree London, UKPosts: 2,965MI6 Agent
    edited May 2022

Sad to learn of Andy Fletcher's passing.

Depeche Mode are a great band (who imho could have written a great Bond theme. Cf. 'John the Revelator')

RIP Ray Liotta

His 'funny guy' scene with Joe Pesci is one of the greatest scenes ever.

Both gone far too soon.

Critics and material I don't need. I haven't changed my act in 53 years.
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff

I've been gone for three weeks. . .I had to rush home to be with my father, who'd had a stroke. Unfortunately, he died on the 18th of May, just nine days short of what would have been his 91st birthday. It was awful to lose him, but until the end he was strong and independent. Had he lived--most likely in a wheelchair and certainly not allowed to drive and having to be under 24/7 care--he'd have been miserable. At his funeral, we played "My Way". . .and that's how he lived. Love you, Dad.

Vox clamantis in deserto
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,646MI6 Agent

Sorry to hear of your father's death, @Hardyboy. Condolences to you at this difficult time.

"The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,053Chief of Staff

You've been missed, HB. I've expressed my condolences elsewhere as you know, but renewed best wishes to you at this time.

• Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,704MI6 Agent
    edited May 2022

Our fathers are close to our hearts, so this must be a difficult time for you. My thoughts are with you, Hardyboy.

• Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,418Chief of Staff

I’m so sorry to hear this, HB…my sincere condolences to you and your family.

YNWA 97
  • Shady TreeShady Tree London, UKPosts: 2,965MI6 Agent

Sorry for your loss, HB

Critics and material I don't need. I haven't changed my act in 53 years.
  • The Red KindThe Red Kind EnglandPosts: 3,119MI6 Agent

My sincere condolences HB.

"Any of the opposition around..?"

Thank you, everyone, for your kind thoughts.

Vox clamantis in deserto
  • Lady RoseLady Rose London,UKPosts: 2,667MI6 Agent

Sorry for your loss HB.

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    edited May 2022

Condolences  Hardyboy. The loss of a parent can be devastating, I know it's an old Cliché but only good memories remain. My own father

dies years ago from Cancer, but I can't remember the sad times at home and Hospital. All my memories are about the Fun and Laughs.

"I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • The Domino EffectThe Domino Effect Posts: 3,631MI6 Agent

Most sincere condolences HB. These are very difficult times for so many people, it seems.

TP... it's so good to see you back!!

• hehadlotsofgutshehadlotsofguts Durham England Posts: 2,107MI6 Agent

Gordon Peters has died at the age of 95.

I thought he was brilliant as Ronnie in One Foot In The Grave.

RIP

Have you ever heard of the Emancipation Proclamation?"

" I don't listen to hip hop!"
  • Smithers500Smithers500 Spectre IslandPosts: 1,341MI6 Agent

Just learnt that Joe Turkel has passed aged 94. He was most famous as Tyrell in Blade Runner and the Bar man Lloyd in The Shining, RIP.

Japanese proverb say, "Bird never make nest in bare tree".
  • hehadlotsofgutshehadlotsofguts Durham England Posts: 2,107MI6 Agent

James Caan has died at the age of 82.

He was fantastic in Misery. RIP

Have you ever heard of the Emancipation Proclamation?"

" I don't listen to hip hop!"

RIP, James Caan. A favourite actor of my youth.

edited July 2022

Rest in peace. He will be also be remembered for great movies like The Godfather, El Dorado and Thief.

• Smithers500Smithers500 Spectre IslandPosts: 1,341MI6 Agent

RIP James Caan, Jonathan E himself.

Japanese proverb say, "Bird never make nest in bare tree".
  • GrindelwaldGrindelwald Posts: 1,294MI6 Agent

Ni Kuang , script writer B Lee films and other kf films

Caan was on the show Las vegas for yrs and also Funny Lady

• Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,239MI6 Agent

James Bond Theme composer Monty Norman - made it to 94. Fab bit of music, seems to have outlasted everything else from the 1960s.

RIP Monty!

"This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017

The 007 Theme, Jaws, Close Encounters, Star Wars...there are really only a handful of pieces of music from movies that are iconic, and the 007 theme is certainly one (interesting that the other three I mentioned were all written by the same person).

• Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,646MI6 Agent

Sad to hear of the death of Monty Norman. Thank you for your original early contributions to the Bond sound in Dr. No.

Was also sad to hear of the death of the actor L. Q. Jones, aged 94. He had one of the greatest cameo roles in all of Columbo as an RV salesman-cum-gun runner in the final episode of the NBC years, The Conspirators (1978).

"The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • chrisno1chrisno1 LondonPosts: 3,177MI6 Agent

RIP Monty Norman - one of the people who made Bond who he has become, even with Barry's input some of his original remains, and his use of local songs to flavour Dr No has rarely been bettered in a Bond movie.

One of my two contacts with Mr Norman -http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/film/1229406.stm

I've just been called to be a character witness in a legal showdown that pits the Barry Estate vs Barbel because everyone knows that Barbel actually wrote the theme to Zulu while drumming away on an upside-down empty yogurt container while on holiday in Wales.

RIP. Thanks you for your contribution to Bond.

• Golrush007Golrush007 South AfricaPosts: 3,418Quartermasters

RIP Monty Norman - His must be one of the very few names that appear in the credits of every single James Bond movie. I can only think of Albert R. Broccoli and Ian Fleming as the only other two names who are ever present in the Bond credits.

Bloody tabloids, never get anything right 😁