JAMES BOND IS DEAD! if you have any doubts of this? then read on!

13»

Comments

• emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,686MI6 Agent

The Brosnans do rather merge into one 🤣

• danjaq_0ffdanjaq_0ff The SwampsPosts: 7,283MI6 Agent

I don't know, I quite enjoyed them, but then I saw each film play out from script to screen.

• danjaq_0ffdanjaq_0ff The SwampsPosts: 7,283MI6 Agent

Sorry Donk, back to topic....Give the people what they want 😁

• The Domino EffectThe Domino Effect Posts: 3,631MI6 Agent

Well, well, well...

re: March 20, 2022 and Meg's comment:

"Unfortunately they don’t think it is the right time to publish a niche book on Bond firearms nor the brand image they want to promote at this time. I know this will be disappointing news for you. If anything changes I will let you know."

The Dr. No 60th anniversary Steelbook BluRay that has just been announced for pre-sale on the 007 website includes a "The Guns of James Bond" featurette. Sounds like "Bond firearms" and "brand image" now align again. My how things change in four months.

• Shady TreeShady Tree London, UKPosts: 2,965MI6 Agent
    edited July 2022

The OO7 logo with the gun image added to the 7, dating back to 1962, has become so iconic that I'd suggest that when people look at it they hardly even 'see' a gun but instead just think, 'Bond'.

I believe I'm right in saying that DN is the only Bond film in which the relative merits of particular handguns are explicitly debated, in material adapted from Fleming. If Eon are pegging a featurette on 'The Guns Of James Bond' to a blu ray release, 'Dr No' is the obvious fit, with any commentary on the scene in question likely, I'd have thought, to be taking a distancing, historical stance.

More broadly: Although firearms are part of the conventional stock of action genre movies - a mainstay of fantasy entertainment - and notwithstanding a history, in Bond, of a play on gun fetishism and phallic symbolism, I personally can understand, given the political rawness of the gun control debate in the U.S. and other real-world sensitivities, why Eon would not want to support any isolated focus, as a niche area of interest, on the intersections between guns and how they're represented fictively in the films, especially if pitched as an extension of pictorially rich fannish entertainment (as opposed to, say, academic research or cultural studies).

Critics and material I don't need. I haven't changed my act in 53 years.
  • HalfMonk HalfHitmanHalfMonk HalfHitman USAPosts: 2,324MI6 Agent

"The Dr. No 60th anniversary Steelbook BluRay that has just been announced for pre-sale on the 007 website includes a "The Guns of James Bond" featurette. Sounds like "Bond firearms" and "brand image" now align again. My how things change in four months."

That's been a bonus feature on the Dr. No disc for years. The only thing new about that steelbook is the packaging.

• The Domino EffectThe Domino Effect Posts: 3,631MI6 Agent

I'm well aware of that. My point is that since the last time a new Dr. No disc was released with that bonus feature on it, EON have stated that firearms are a brand image that they don't want to promote. In light of that statement, I find it surprising that this feature is still being included on the new disc release.

• HalfMonk HalfHitmanHalfMonk HalfHitman USAPosts: 2,324MI6 Agent

Those discs are probably ten years old. Just a new box. Not sure Eon has a say in physical media distro, to boot.