The Silencer & Black Garter

Comments

• Lady RoseLady Rose London,UKPosts: 2,667MI6 Agent

I got it wrong. I didn't know. I do now ๐Ÿคฃ

• Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,644MI6 Agent
    edited August 2022

I remember reading that fact in one of the books on the Bond films years ago but I suppose if I had to I could have worked it out by eliminating the others.

There was (inevitably) an element of "Stop getting Bond wrong!" though. Contestant Judge Rinder said he fell asleep during the last Bond film and it wasn't really his cup of tea. When the answer was revealed as TMWTGG he said "that's the one with the sharks at the beginning, isn't it?". Jeremy Clarkson said he didn't know as that was his least favourite Bond film, and he's a fan. "Phone a friend" Clare Balding thought it was OHMSS based on the fact it was a very different film and the one where he got married and portrayed a more human, sensitive Bond.

"The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • CoolHandBondCoolHandBond Mactan IslandPosts: 6,030MI6 Agent

Anybody about? Who wants to join me? I will have a Bloody Mary and full English breakfast, please.

Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,053Chief of Staff

Bit early for drinking here, but breakfast sounds good. The Full Monty for me too, please.

• Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,699MI6 Agent

A Coke Zero and not an English breakfast, please. ๐Ÿ˜‰

• The Red KindThe Red Kind EnglandPosts: 3,118MI6 Agent

Hope you're all well. (Have been away in Italy for a couple of weeks). I'll have a Negroni, please. Coke Zero for N24 and Prosecco all round๐Ÿพ

"Any of the opposition around..?"

Thanks! The speed of service here is really ........... special. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,644MI6 Agent

I'll have a glass of water, please. Tap water.

"The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • Lady RoseLady Rose London,UKPosts: 2,667MI6 Agent

Did someone say Prosecco all round? ๐Ÿ˜

edited August 2022

I just re-watched Men In Black. It's still very good. Remember when Will Smith was a nice young man breaking into the movies? ๐Ÿ˜Ž

Not if this pub is in the Philippines ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

Does the water come with "optional extras"? ๐Ÿ˜€

Strictly bottled water here @Silhouette Man otherwise you would get a nasty tummy bug ๐Ÿ˜ณ

That's not so good. We tend to take clean running water for granted here in the West. Sadly not every country is afforded this luxury.

edited August 2022

Earlier tonight I spent time in the tower of a 170 year old church with a scientist who studies bats. Very atmospheric.

Now I crave some blo... Coke Zero I mean. ๐Ÿ™‚

edited August 2022

You do live an interesting life, @Number24. Certainly more interesting than mine. I enjoy hearing your little life stories. We do have bats that flit about at dusk here. I'm not sure where they come from but I think they must stay in neighbouring outhouses during the day. I've heard they can get into people's attics too and as they are protected by law they can't be interfered with. Pretty harmless little creatures.

Actually, that reminds me that I was getting my oil burner serviced last year and the maintenance man said he'd never seen anything like it before. I asked what it was and he said a bat had got sucked inside part of the boiler and that was why it hadn't been working properly. It must've flew in to the boiler house when the door was open once. He said it was usually mice that got caught up inside them. Bats look like mice with wings here in the UK, which is where their early name of "flittermice" came from.

Yes, I have an interesting life. It's not like anyone would pick the most interesting parts of their life, present those parts in the best possible light and then post it on the internet. It's simply never done. ๐Ÿ˜‰

edited August 2022

I get your satire there and I agree people do tend to put their "Greatest Hits" on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram etc. and don't dwell on their failures and doubts so much. I personally prefer forums to social media as it has a pleasing degree of anonymity and is usually more intellectual than the inane and vacuous stuff people post on social media. It's come to the point now where I only really use Facebook for Messenger now and some groups of interest and not to update anything from my personal life. It seems others share their every waking thought and doings on Facebook and the like but it's just not for me. I'm a pretty private person at heart and don't like publicity or fuss.

Same with me. I'm only on Messenger, and only for family, work and my closest friends.

I've had a particularly fascinating life. Would you like to hear about it?

Go ahead. We're a captive audience. ๐Ÿ™‚

No, no, that was Kerim Bey speaking, not me ๐Ÿ˜‚

I know it was a Kerim quote but you're always welcome to tell us more about your life with a special focus on your bookselling days, which I find especially fascinating. ๐Ÿ™‚

edited July 2023

In a shameless plug for my most recent post in the "True stories from the the world of espionage and special operations" thread I'm making a toast (Coke Zero of cource) to Arne Randers Heen - mountaineer, tailor, spy.

Please stay and have drink even if you're not interested in Norwegians jumping from mountain peak to mountain peak, taking photos of nazi bases. I can talk about other things too. I think....

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent

A brief extract from the autobiography of @CoolHandBond ...........

"My childhood was typical, Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When I was insolent

I was placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds. Pretty standard really. At the age of twelve I received my first scribe

At the age of fourteen a Zoroastrian named Vilma ritualistically shaved my testicles ....... There is really nothing like

a shorn scrotum It's breath-taking ....... I highly suggest you try it. "

"I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."

You said you’d never reveal that information @Thunderpussy ๐Ÿ˜‚

That sounds a bit like those heightened reality author profiles that used to accompany Len Deighton's spy novels in the 1960s! ๐Ÿ˜€

• BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,053Chief of Staff

Doesn't it?

• The Domino EffectThe Domino Effect Posts: 3,631MI6 Agent

Is the illustrated version of your autobiography still on hold, @CoolHandBond ?

Yes, I sent it to Barbel to approve but he said he had to sink a whole bottle of Glenlivet to get the images out of his head, so unfortunately it’s been classified as not fit to post ๐Ÿ˜†