Tributes Thread

Comments

• Smithers500Smithers500 Spectre IslandPosts: 1,341MI6 Agent

Just heard that Anne Heche has died after being taken off life support following her car accident, aged only 53, RIP.

Japanese proverb say, "Bird never make nest in bare tree".
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,644MI6 Agent

It is 58 years ago today since Ian Fleming died in 1964. It's sad to think that our founder is now dead longer than he was alive. It was a relatively short life, all things considered, but he lived the equivalent of several fascinating lifetimes during it. Thanks to him for creating the most famous character of the 20th Century who still endures in the 21st Century and over whom we all share a common bond.

"The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • chrisno1chrisno1 LondonPosts: 3,176MI6 Agent

Thanks for that @Silhouette Man

• Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,644MI6 Agent

Thanks, @chrisno1. I always like to pay tribute to Ian Fleming on that date.

"The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).

Singer Darius Danesh, who was third in the debut series of UK competition Pop Idol, has died age 41. The circumstances are not clear yet but 41 seems much too young.

• Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,701MI6 Agent

Wolfgang Petersen, director of Das Boot and "In the line of fire", has passer away. RIP.

• Golrush007Golrush007 South AfricaPosts: 3,418Quartermasters

Das Boot is a true masterpiece. RIP Wolfgang Petersen.

• BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,053Chief of Staff

Jerry Allison of The Crickets (as in Buddy Holly) has died at 82. I had the pleasure of seeing them about 30 years ago and they were still on top form. The bass player Joe B. Mauldin died a few years ago, rhythm guitarist Niki Sullivan about 20 years ago. Only Sonny Curtis, who was in and out of the band (long story) is still with us from the originals.

Jerry Allison, known to his friends as "J.I.", co-wrote "Peggy Sue" with Holly (whatever credits say) among other songs. and sang the original of "Real Wild Child"

(2) Real Wild Child by Ivan 1958 - YouTube

which has been covered by Iggy Pop among others. Ivan was his middle name, hence J.I.

• LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,988Quartermasters
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
    edited August 2022

Today Mikail Gorbachev died. In my opinion the cold war and the USSR ended almost bloodlessly and earlier because of him. He gave freedom to many millions. Thank you very much.

Agreed Number24, what we wouldn’t give for Russia to have him as leader now…

Gorby didn't want to use the military against the people to stay in power. Putin reputibly hated him for it, because for Putin only power matters.

• The Red KindThe Red Kind EnglandPosts: 3,119MI6 Agent

Couldn't agree more. Did so much for so many.

It can feel like we're back to square one with the current situation, but without him so many millions of people in former Soviet block countries would not have the freedom and opportunity they have today.

"Any of the opposition around..?"

Mikael Gorbachev - probably the last great international political statesman of the twentieth century. Along with Mandela and De Klerk, a man who recognised that change was a necessity for countries to progress. It's rather sad that the capitalists got their hand into Russia so fast they ensured Boris Yeltsin became president and opened the economy to abuse and the rule of the oligarch. That's gratitude from a population not used to voting. They saw Gorby as part of the problem not the solution and sadly the Russians now have a man in control who for a while provided solutions but has now become the problem. RIP Mikael Gorbachev.

A man at Gorby's funeral said: "He gave us a taste of freedom, but we f*cked it up". Well said.

Thank you Gymkata.

Following it closely and worryingly. Taking solace that her family are all with her in the place she loves most of all.

I'm not a monarchist nor am I an out and out republican, but the Queen has been a remote fixture of British society for the whole of my life and underpins much of what we interpret as 'Britishness'. Nobody in 1952 expected her to live and reign this long so any succession will be a tremendous constitutional strain. It is concerning that members of the Royal family are congregating at Balmoral House, as if expecting the worst...

• Shady TreeShady Tree London, UKPosts: 2,965MI6 Agent

RIP Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II

Critics and material I don't need. I haven't changed my act in 53 years.
    edited July 2023

RIP Elizabeth II. An era is truly over. Her first PM was Winston Churchill! She witnessed and was a part of a British and world history seen from the top. In my opinion she was "motivated by her duty" even though it was a very privileged duty.

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent

RIP Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth ll , The Queen is dead, Long live the King

"I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."

Heartbroken, but so very proud to have been an Elizabethan. Rest in peace your Majesty. You will be missed beyond measure.

God save the King.🇬🇧

edited September 2022

RIP Queen Elizabeth ll. A part of British life for so long it's strange to think how things will change - people have been born, married, and died while she was on the throne.

Among other things, our currency will change and the words of the National Anthem. The King will have to decide on his title, ie he may not choose to be King Charles- Philip is a possibility, it's one of his names and would honour his recently deceased father.

RIP Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II.

I’ll always remember reading Anthony Burgess’ foreword to the coronet paperback Bond novels when I was a kid: how he described Bond as the defining fictional hero of the Second Elizabethan age, as much as Holmes was the fictional hero of the Victorian age. I’m paraphrasing from memory, but that was the jist of it.

Strange to think that whatever iteration of Bond that comes next, it will be for King and country.

• SpectreOfDefeatSpectreOfDefeat Posts: 404MI6 Agent

RIP Queen Elizabeth II, God save the King

"The spectre of defeat..."

A selfless diligent and warm monarch. The country and the world has lost a significant and generous person, a person devoted to her life of service. We will never see the like of the Queen again. In an era when fame and greatness are terms desposed on the undeserving, this passing moment is one of reflection and contemplation of the very best an individual can achieve.

RIP Queen Elizabeth II.

• Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,238MI6 Agent
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017

Very saddened to hear of the death of HM Queen Elizabeth II. She devoted her life to public service to the very end, appointing her fifteenth prime minister only two days ago. May she rest well after a lifetime of service to the nation.

• Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,238MI6 Agent

Raining all day to day in Blighty. Hard to believe it was a heatwave only a fortnight ago. Thunderous crash of lightening but no thunder oddly at about 2-3pm - about the time the Queen would have passed, ir you hold any significance for that sort of thing.

Nobody who got up this morning would have thought this was how the day would have turned out.

I don't know if would-be Bond directer Roger Mitchell's documentary on the Queen released this year is still on Netflix but it's well worth a watch. I caught it for the two showings it was on at the cinema prior to Jubilee week and it knocked me out, very well edited and compiled.

"This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,907MI6 Agent

RIP Elizabeth II

lets not forget she was a onetime BondGirl!

was this ever included on any of the dvd's?

8th September 2022. Outside Buckingham Palace.

A large crowd of people are gathered there. Some are laying flowers at the gate. Some are weeping, and not just the women.

A man makes his way steadily through the crowd. He is tall; his hair is dark with a few flecks of grey showing through. He has a scar down one cheek. His age is difficult to determine.

There is a sign posted on the gate. He slowly reads it through. His face is apparently expressionless, unless one knew him well. Those who do are few in number.

The man lays a single rose against the gate and looks up for a long moment. He then walks back to his car, which carries an emblem letting the police know not to interfere with wherever it is parked. The silver/grey car is old, perhaps sixty years old, but like its owner it is somehow timeless.

He opens the door, gets in and drives off to a building not too far away.