What would be a better title than Licence to Kill?

Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,699MI6 Agent
edited May 2022 in The James Bond Films

While I don't dislike the title of LTK, I find it unimaginative. I know the origonal title was Licence Revoked. Do you like that one better? Can you think of a better title?

Comments

• Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,699MI6 Agent

or "No cannon"? 😁

• Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,238MI6 Agent

This Gun For Hire

"This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017

That's pretty good!

There are some titles suggested elsewhere (or even used by now) that could've worked:

Death leaves an echo

Devil May Care

Risico

Blood Runs Cold

• HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,736MI6 Agent

Licence Revoked was a very good title IMO. They should have kept it but the producers thought us dopey Americans wouldn't get it and think it meant Bond lost his Driver's Licence😋.

• Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,238MI6 Agent

'Don't Touch The Hair!'

Roger Spottiswoode directs Dalton's light-hearted follow up to his debut, where his attempts to bring a drug lord to book turn personal after said drug lord makes a series of public jibes about the hero's follicular situation

"This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017

"I'd kill for a good hairdresser" 😁

• emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,686MI6 Agent
    edited June 2022

I really like this idea for a thread! I'm going to have a ponder and see if I can think of one, but Bond titles are very hard. I guess it should ideally focus either on revenge (you know, 'Best Served Cold' or something! 😅) or Bond going out on his own/giving up his licence to kill.

I must say I've never really liked Licence Revoked anyway; Licence To Kill at least has a nice shape to it visually, if you know what I mean? It looks good written down. Also Revoked takes a weird tip from Gardner's 'Licence Renewed', which kind of feels the wrong way around; I'm not sure the films should have been affected by the spin off novels to that extent.

• MI6_HeadquartersMI6_Headquarters Posts: 168MI6 Agent
    edited June 2022

I think this is where the title A View To A Kill fits.

Or maybe The Hildebrand Rarity.

But I'm fine with the title (yeah, it does sounds like Miami Vice or Die Hard at times) but I liked it more than those pretentious titles like Tomorrow Never Dies, Die Another Day, and No Time To Die, they sound cheap to me.

I have no idea why or how the title LTK sounds like Miami Vice. How is this?

• BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,053Chief of Staff

So LTK isn't a particularely good title in your opinion, Gymkata? 😂

I'm actually thinking of starting a simular thread about QoS ....

• emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,686MI6 Agent

I always think that if they'd just called the evil organisation 'Solace' rather than Quantum the title would have made much more sense. And to me Solace sounds much creepier than the slightly bland Quantum - it's not even threatening: it literally means 'the tiniest possible amount'- how is that a threatening, global network? 😅

They have very small people everywhere?

Now I've started a thread on alternative titles for QoS: What would be a better title for Quantum of Solace? — ajb007

• KladdaghKladdagh FrancePosts: 117MI6 Agent

Pretty classic for me ... "Licence Revoked" ... I liked the previous title than the actual one.

~Never Let Them See You Bleed~
  • chrisno1chrisno1 LondonPosts: 3,172MI6 Agent
    edited August 2022

I rather like Licence To Kill. Of all the made up titles, LTK, GE and TWINE are the only titles which really pull me in. If I had to retitle it, maybe to account for Krest The Hildebrand Rarity, but you'd have to do some mixing up of the story to squeeze it in somehow. THR is okay for a short story, but a poor title for a film. I'd still love for them to use Risico and The Property of a Lady [the latter could have been used for QOS].

• TonyDPTonyDP Inside the MonolithPosts: 4,279MI6 Agent
    edited August 2022

I always thought License to Kill was an odd title since Bond operates for most of the movie without one. I've read that the originally planned title of License Revoked was changed because the filmmakers were afraid people wouldn't know what "Revoked" meant.

When LTK was released in Italy, it was titled Vendetta Personale, which translates to Personal Vendetta. Supposedly, this was done because Dr. No was titled Licenza Di Uccidere in Italy which translates to ... License to Kill!

I like the idea of a title that touches upon this being more of a personal mission for Bond.

edited August 2022

I like "Blood runs cold" as the title for LTK.

• Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,414Chief of Staff

Apparently Licence Revoked means something different to the Americans…that’s why it was changed…so they weren’t confused about driving licences…

YNWA 97
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,644MI6 Agent

That sounds like an episode of The Avengers! 😉

"The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).

If the small people are green they're NOT Russian! 😎

Small green people....?

• Shady TreeShady Tree London, UKPosts: 2,965MI6 Agent

As Klaus Hergersheimer might have said, there's no reason to run down the little people!

Critics and material I don't need. I haven't changed my act in 53 years.
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,644MI6 Agent
    edited August 2022

Unless they aren't wearing their radiation shields, then they're fair game.

"The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).