Last film seen...

Comments

• Moonraker 5Moonraker 5 Ayrshire, ScotlandPosts: 1,821MI6 Agent
    Quoting Napoleon Plural:
    Radio On, a post-punk minimalistic black and white road movie, about a radio DJ who travels by car from London to Bristol overnight to find out about his brother's suicide. Cheery stuff.
    You know how to have a swinging night, NP... (If only there were a wee smiley pretending to show a rope being pulled at the neck)
    unitedkingdom.png
  • AlexAlex The Eastern SeaboardPosts: 2,694MI6 Agent
    edited October 2004
    Quoting MAHO:
    Warner Home Video -- cat no 793104 (region 2). I bought mine in 2000.

---
    jfm
    Region 2, allright, where's the best place to buy a region free player? I'm tired of missing the good stuff. Time to become an import junkie. First thing I'm ordering right off is the disc, Night Of The Big Heat. A whole hearted film with a good cast and a great sense of malevolent forces invading British pastoral life. (And Jane Merrow in a bikini)
  • MAHOMAHO Posts: 95MI6 Agent
    edited October 2004
    Quoting Alex:

... where's the best place to buy a region free player?

My DVD player is a portable one, and it's region-free. The manual doesn't even mention DVD regions. I assume (boldly) that it should be available in the US, too, as it is a US brand -- Denver Mobile Theatre 700. Their website is at:
    http://www.denver-electronics.com
    You might find retailer-info there.

EDIT: I just checked the website. It seems it's a Danish company, not US. Sorry. But they probably sell to the US, as well.

---
    jfm
    Just watched "Equus". I remember seeing it on TV many years ago. I did not, however, remember that it was as good as it was when I saw it now.

---
    jfm

Double your pleasure, double your fun
    With double good, double good, double-mint gum
    Thanks, MAHO, I've found a couple places as well. Now I've a good idea what to get during the holidays. ;)

Watched - It Came From Beneath The Sea while recuperating from an illness yesterday. (been in a Ray Harryhausen frame of mind lately) A great film, great cast, superb effects. Just a winner through and through. Faith Domergue, what a lovely woman. She reminds me of Gillian Anderson with Maryln Monroe's voice. Yow!
    The Indiana Jones Box. These movies are great fun.

---
    jfm
    Gerry and Sylvia Anderson's Journey To The Far Side Of The Sun

All I have to say is, awesome.
  • Lady RoseLady Rose London,UKPosts: 2,667MI6 Agent
    Quoting Vesperkitten:
    And yesterday I saw Double Jeopardy with Ashley Judd and Tommy Lee Jones. I'd never seen one of her films before, and while I've heard that she was a good actress, I didn't know that she was THAT good. Good performance.

I really like Ashley Judd.She has an elegance and understated beauty about her I think is great.Double Jeopardy is a good movie with Tommy Lee Jones doing his usual thing.

I have just seen her in De-Lovely with Kevin Kline
    and she was excellent in that as well.
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,417Chief of Staff
    Finally got to see Shaun Of The Dead, it's very good - not as good as some would have us believe, but good nonetheless.
    YNWA 97
  • The BaronThe Baron Posts: 66MI6 Agent
    The Wild Life, Made in the mid 80's, comedy .
    It had some decent stars in Eric Stolz, Chris Penn, Lea Thompson, Rick Moranis. Pretty damn funny.
  • darenhatdarenhat The Old PuebloPosts: 2,029Quartermasters
    I finally got out of the house the other day and saw "The Bourne Supremacy". You know what? The first one didn't do anything for me, and this one did even less. And would cameramen please STOP SHAKING THE CAMERA SO MUCH! Cinematography is such a lost art form these days.
    Quoting Alex:
    Gerry and Sylvia Anderson's Journey To The Far Side Of The Sun

All I have to say is, awesome.
    It's always great - names and faces you automatically recognize. First time movie and I cannot recommend it enough.

Derek Meddings' effects always vastly impressive. Anderson, (of Thunderbird fame of course) put out an intelligent science fiction thriller here that is simply gorgeous to look at. The effects when this was made in '69 are superlative and hold up very well. In fact better then some of the overblown cookie cutter "epics" of today.

The score by Barry Gray was lifting and fit the scope perfectly. And several Bond and Pink Panther vets appeared.
  • The BaronThe Baron Posts: 66MI6 Agent
    Up in Smoke with Cheech and Chong.
    That super joint still makes me laugh.
  • NAOMI_FAN 1NAOMI_FAN 1 Posts: 85MI6 Agent
    The Conquest Of Space
  • justvisitingjustvisiting Posts: 61MI6 Agent
    edited October 2004
    At the theater, I saw Team America: World Police, mainly because I liked the old Thunderbirds series, and think Parker and Stone can be pretty funny. The sets and puppets were impressive, but it was definitely an adult movie with its risque humor and language.

On television, I recently saw "The Children's Hour", in which characters played by Audrey Hepburn and Shirley MacLaine run a boarding school, and are accused by a girl of being lesbians (which is scandalous in 1961), and how their lives are slowly destroyed. It was a nice little film with some good twists.
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    I saw Team America yesterday myself. It doesn't reach South Park outrageousness, but it's often hilarious and it's a pretty good spoof of those Jerry Bruckheimer everything-blows-up movies. And it's hard to believe that a sex scene involving anatomically INcorrect puppets nearly got this thing an NC-17 rating!
    Vox clamantis in deserto
    Saw The Day After Tomorrow on Sunday. It's okay - the special effects are good, take note Eon ;) - but did someone forget a plot ?
    YNWA 97
    edited October 2004
    Quoting Hardyboy:
    And it's hard to believe that a sex scene involving anatomically INcorrect puppets nearly got this thing an NC-17 rating!

Hardyboy, I read that the deleted scenes involved the puppets going to the bathroom on each other! (I wouldn't want my kids seeing the film, even without that scene!)

Read this article in Rolling Stone . . . it's pretty interesting, but for adults only:
    http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/story/_/id/6539084?rnd=1097689349781&has-player=true&version=6.0.12.1040

I really liked what they said about Fahrenheit 9/11 at the end of the article. They said if you're too weak minded to let a film influence your voting decision, you shouldn't vote. We should e-mail that to JazzX!
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    Quoting justvisiting:
    Hardyboy, I read that the deleted scenes involved the puppets going to the bathroom on each other! (I wouldn't want my kids seeing the film, even without that scene!)

Read this article in Rolling Stone . . . it's pretty interesting, but for adults only.

Thanks for the link, jv. I'm STILL highly amused by the NC-17 flap. . .like I said, the puppets are anatomically incorrect, and the sex scene was screamingly funny because it's basically an animated version of what most nasty-minded kids have done with their G.I. Joes and their sisters' Barbies--stripped 'em naked and put 'em in obscene positions. I would imagine those "bathroom" scenes are just so much over-the-top absurdity--like the endless streams of vomit that came out of the Gary puppet at one point.

Lord, what am I turning into, writing about this stuff. . .?
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • scaramanga1scaramanga1 The English RivieraPosts: 845Chief of Staff
    Quoting Sir Miles:
    Saw The Day After Tomorrow on Sunday. It's okay - the special effects are good, take note Eon ;) - but did someone forget a plot ?

Have to agree with you there Sir M -it is rather cheesy -but the special effects are top notch -which is what you'd expect from the peopl who brought you Independence Day. :D
    I saw the movie 'M' a week ago. It's a classic made in 1931, and about a serial child killer in Berlin who is on the loose. The police have no leads, and are cracking down hard on the city's underworld to find the killer. The underworld decides to take the law into its own hands and find the killer themselves, and bring him to their own kind of justice.
    Quoting justvisiting:
    I saw the movie 'M' a week ago. It's a classic made in 1931, and about a serial child killer in Berlin who is on the loose. The police have no leads, and are cracking down hard on the city's underworld to find the killer. The underworld decides to take the law into its own hands and find the killer themselves, and bring him to their own kind of justice.

Cracking film, saw it about 10 years ago. Peter Lorre is great in it, loses nothing of the tension even though it's in German.
    YNWA 97
  • superadosuperado Regent's Park West (CaliforniaPosts: 2,651MI6 Agent
    edited November 2004
    I don't know if it's a bona fide film, but I saw Pippin last Saturday, and Dirty Harry before that, both library DVDs. Edit: How can I forget, the very last film I saw was Charade, on Sunday afternoon!
    "...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....
    Quoting Sir Miles:
    Cracking film, saw it about 10 years ago. Peter Lorre is great in it, loses nothing of the tension even though it's in German.

Yes Sir Miles, definitely cracking.

This is the second time I have seen it, but the first time was probably 10 years ago too. I had forgotten most of it, and was still surprised by the ending. Those two hours just whizzed by.
  • darenhatdarenhat The Old PuebloPosts: 2,029Quartermasters
    Finally saw "The Missing" over the weekend.
    Pros:
    Ron Howard spared us the use of slow motion this time.
    Geographically responsible - Unlike "Gerinomo" it didn't try to convince people that the southern border of Arizona and New Mexico looks like Monument Valley which is much further north.

Cons:
    Borrowed plot from the Searchers and Tommy Lee Jones is no John Wayne.
  • largo_7largo_7 PalmyraPosts: 24MI6 Agent
    Blazing Saddles

A true classic comedy I can watch nearly as much as a Bond film.
  • TracyTracy the VillagePosts: 369MI6 Agent
    Quoting Sir Miles:

Recently I heard a talk from the guy who was in charge of the special effects company that did a lot of the CGI work there, and apparently he thought it was a really lousy movie as well and only did it because he was offered a lot of money...

This company also did the special effects on Titanic and most recently I, Robot if you're curious.

I ended up watching 4 films, all classics in their own right, over the weekend: Spellbound, Psycho, the Graduate, and the Third Man. I would seriously recommend all of them, though not necessarily in that order.
    Flattery will get you nowhere, but don't stop trying.
  • scaramanga1scaramanga1 The English RivieraPosts: 845Chief of Staff
    Watched The Exorcist -The Beginning -apart from Issabella Scoruppco it was dire. There were only 8 people in the cinema -two walked out -and I fell asleep! What I did see was so cliched and lacked imagination that all I can say is save your money.
  • TracyTracy the VillagePosts: 369MI6 Agent
    I just watched the last half of Pulp Fiction. Tarantino is definitely one of my favorite directors hands down.
    Flattery will get you nowhere, but don't stop trying.
  • SPECTRENumber1SPECTRENumber1 L.O.Posts: 75MI6 Agent
    Same with me! I am watching Pulp Fiction right now. I love it.