What song are you listening to?

Comments

• Lazenby880Lazenby880 LondonPosts: 525MI6 Agent
    Sir Miles wrote:
    Our Velocity by Maximo Park - a very underrated British band, I look forward to their new album.
    Absolutely agreed on that. Maximo Park are excellent with some real energy to their music. I too look forward to the new album.

Right now I'm listening Bay City Rollers' Shang-a-Lang. Perfect Scottish cheese for a Saturday afternoon. :D
  • MoniqueMonique USAPosts: 696MI6 Agent
    Ah, I remember that one! Used to listen to that every day! Great song, one of Simon and Garfunkel's best. I just never understood the last part...

"Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio, our nation turns its lonley eyes to you... woo woo woo... What's that you say, Mrs. Robinson? Joltin' Joe has left and gone away... hey hey hey..."

According to Wikipedia, the song is about Mrs. Robinson, who enters a nursing home who views her as not very useful. Hence, "Look around you, all you see are sympathetic eyes..." Which is also why it was released on the album Bookends (I assume it was because bookends aren't viewed as very useful, either). Generally, it was about the plight of the elderly in society today. The article talks about the context of The Graduate film that it was written for, but I still don't understand the concept of Joe DiMaggio... Does anyone perhaps have some more knowledge on the subject? I'm afraid the topic of early baseball is way before my time. :)

Simon and Garfunkel's songs always were on the intellectual side. That's what made them unique. Great song! {[]

Hey Sly, I always thought it was more a reference to the simpler times of Joe Dimaggio's days. More like a plea for the world to stop the madness that was happening back then. This song came out I believe in 1968, 5 years after JFK was killed, and the same year RFK, and MLK were assasinated, not to mention Vietnam was going on as well. A lot of unrest and turbulence was felt back then. The country felt like it lost it's innocence forever. And it did. I once heard Paul Simon said it was all about syllables, but I think he was just savoring the better days when baseball players were American heroes. And he picked his name because it worked in the song. Hope that helps a little...it's what I always heard.
  • NightshooterNightshooter In bed with SolitairePosts: 2,917MI6 Agent
    edited February 2007
    P.D.A. (We Just Don't Care) by John Legend.

Awesome chorus and subject matter.
  • FelixLeiter ♀FelixLeiter ♀ Staffordshire or a pubPosts: 1,286MI6 Agent
    Matt Munro... From Russia With Love.

It's been ages since I've listened to my Bond CD and it's all so great. :D
    Relax darling, I'm on top of the situation -{
  • Sir Hillary BraySir Hillary Bray College of ArmsPosts: 2,174MI6 Agent
    edited February 2007
    "In View", by The Tragically Hip, a great Canadian band that's been around for over 20 years and that far too few people know about.
    Hilly...you old devil!
  • AlexAlex The Eastern SeaboardPosts: 2,694MI6 Agent
    John Fogerty, The Long Road Home.
  • chris Walkenchris Walken Posts: 85MI6 Agent
    edited February 2007
    Goodsouls by Starsailor great track
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,416Chief of Staff
    The Angry Mob by Kaiser Chiefs off their great second album. Saw them live last thursday and they really are a band at the top of their game.
    YNWA 97
    "5:15AM" by Mark Knopfler, from Shangri-La.

Seems like it describes a murder in Newcastle of a carpetbagging slot-machine operator from London...or maybe it's just a metaphor for exploitation of Geordie folk and resources by less-than-ethical moneyed interests. Whatever, it's a beautiful chord progession with some guitar work typical of his interesting solo efforts.

Knopfler has compiled an amazing body of work over the years, IMO.
    Hilly...you old devil!
  • CatarinitaCatarinita Posts: 25MI6 Agent
    Dear Mr. PResident by Pink
    Sewn by The Feeling. Caught them live last night, they were much better than I expected. Sewn is a great track - a great anthemic love song, I doubt they will write better.
    YNWA 97
  • TonyDPTonyDP Inside the MonolithPosts: 4,279MI6 Agent
    Just picked up Pat Metheny / Brad Mehldau: Quartet. Any jazz fans out there should check this one out. Pat is for my money one of the most gifted composers and guitar players out there and Mehldau has quickly become a driving force on piano. Great collaboration and the ninth track, Secret Beach, is just amazing, culminating in an unbelievable solo by Pat on his guitar synthesizer. Great stuff.
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,988Quartermasters
    The album Machine Head, by Deep Purple B-)
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • highhopeshighhopes Posts: 1,358MI6 Agent
    Monique wrote:
    Ah, I remember that one! Used to listen to that every day! Great song, one of Simon and Garfunkel's best. I just never understood the last part...

"Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio, our nation turns its lonley eyes to you... woo woo woo... What's that you say, Mrs. Robinson? Joltin' Joe has left and gone away... hey hey hey..."

According to Wikipedia, the song is about Mrs. Robinson, who enters a nursing home who views her as not very useful. Hence, "Look around you, all you see are sympathetic eyes..." Which is also why it was released on the album Bookends (I assume it was because bookends aren't viewed as very useful, either). Generally, it was about the plight of the elderly in society today. The article talks about the context of The Graduate film that it was written for, but I still don't understand the concept of Joe DiMaggio... Does anyone perhaps have some more knowledge on the subject? I'm afraid the topic of early baseball is way before my time. :)

Simon and Garfunkel's songs always were on the intellectual side. That's what made them unique. Great song! {[]

Hey Sly, I always thought it was more a reference to the simpler times of Joe Dimaggio's days. More like a plea for the world to stop the madness that was happening back then. This song came out I believe in 1968, 5 years after JFK was killed, and the same year RFK, and MLK were assasinated, not to mention Vietnam was going on as well. A lot of unrest and turbulence was felt back then. The country felt like it lost it's innocence forever. And it did. I once heard Paul Simon said it was all about syllables, but I think he was just savoring the better days when baseball players were American heroes. And he picked his name because it worked in the song. Hope that helps a little...it's what I always heard.

Absolutely correct, Monique. The Dimaggio reference mourns the loss of heroes in American life and a simpler, more innocent time.

I'm listening to a pristine soundboard recording of the Grateful Dead's May 3, 1972 gig at the Olympia Theater in Paris. Incredible show. Where have you gone, Jerry Garcia ...?
  • Moonraker 5Moonraker 5 Ayrshire, ScotlandPosts: 1,821MI6 Agent
    There Goes The Fear, by The Doves. Ah, happy days, happy memories :)
    unitedkingdom.png
  • scottmu65scottmu65 Carlisle, Cumbria, UKPosts: 402MI6 Agent
    ive just finished listening to Porcelain by Moby, and now i'm listning to Old Days byu Chicage ?:) B-)
    http://www.classicbondforums.tk - Please support our community.
  • La CuranderaLa Curandera Posts: 52MI6 Agent
    Herbs, Good Hygiene and Socks - Lovage
  • Mr MartiniMr Martini That nice house in the sky.Posts: 2,698MI6 Agent
    Bartender by (The) Dave Matthews Band, from the newest Live Trax 8 release.
    Some people would complain even if you hang them with a new rope
  • ToshTogoToshTogo Rep. of South AfricaPosts: 103MI6 Agent
    "Awakening" by The Damning Well
    1990s - See You At The Lights.

I've only just become aware of this band and I'm impressed with what I've heard so far - going to have to track down their album.
    YNWA 97
  • La CuranderaLa Curandera Posts: 52MI6 Agent
    iTunes™ recently played
    1. Streetcleaner - Godfelsh (anyone remember these guys?)
    2. Siberian Divide - Mastodon (the definitive metal band of the 21st century)
    3. It Ain't Me Babe - Bob Dylan (the definitive songwriter of the 20th century)
    4. B.O.B.B.Y. - Bobby Digital (the RZA from the Wu-Tang Clan)
    5. The Superman Theme - John Williams

on deck:
    1. Bubba Ho-Tep theme - Brian Tyler
    2. The Trio - Ennio Morricone (from The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly)
    3. Theme from Godzilla - Akira Ifukube
    4. Obselete Scars - Thirdmoon
    5. Night Goat - Melvins
    edited April 2007
    There Goes The Fear, by The Doves. Ah, happy days, happy memories :)
    Great song, that.

Right now I am listening to Arcade Fire's album Neon Bible. Utterly, utterly brilliant stuff.
    Restless Natives by Big Country. Theme from the film of the same name, which happens to be one of my favourite films of all time.

Can't help but punch the air along to it, though maybe that's a Scottish thing :) Perfect track for driving in the Highlands.
    unitedkingdom.png
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,053Chief of Staff
    John Barry's The Beyondness Of Things. Never far from my ears; I've got one copy in the car and one in the house.
    White Rose Movement's Girls in the Back from the album Kick. Exceptional band.
    Barbel wrote:
    John Barry's The Beyondness Of Things. Never far from my ears; I've got one copy in the car and one in the house.

That is a super album.

Currently listening to the album Our Earthly Pleasures by Maximo Park.
    YNWA 97
    Restless Natives by Big Country. Theme from the film of the same name, which happens to be one of my favourite films of all time.

Can't help but punch the air along to it, though maybe that's a Scottish thing :) Perfect track for driving in the Highlands.

Hmm, don't know the film or the song, but I still love "The Storm" and "Fields of Fire" and was very sad when I heard that Adamson did himself in.

Anyway, as it happens, I'm currently listening to "I Understand It" by Idlewild, another Scottish band.
    Hilly...you old devil!
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    I recently purchased the Queen album A Day at the Races which I've been listening to a bit. I'm a huge Queen fan (they're my favourite artist) and lately I've been alternating between listening to them on my ipod and on Youtube.

Although I'm yet to fully acquaint myself with A Day at the Races, it has been a joy to listen to classics like Good Old-Fashioned Lover Boy and Somebody to Love; arguably one of the greatest songs of all time.
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • Klaus HergescheimerKlaus Hergescheimer Posts: 332MI6 Agent
    edited April 2007
    This is a song I seem to be listening to all the time, and not by choice (damned speakers at the Student Rec Center at UNC):

This is why I'm hot,
    This is why I'm hot,
    This is why,
    This is why,
    This is why I'm hot.

I'm hot I'm fly,
    You ain't cause you not,
    This is why,
    This is why,
    This is why I'm hot.

Don't know if there are any other lyrics in the song, because those are the only lines I really hear.
    edited April 2007
    Hmm, don't know the film or the song, but I still love "The Storm" and "Fields of Fire" and was very sad when I heard that Adamson did himself in.
    The song as used in the film (thank God for YouTube :D ):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJ_Mg7m-ZfY&mode=related&search=

It was a low budget, locally made film, but it has its cult following! Daft, but in a loveable way :) Big Country provided the whole score.
    unitedkingdom.png