The Actors Who Could Have Been Bond

MailfistMailfist Posts: 242MI6 Agent
As die hard Bond fans we have all read about the actors who were considered for the part, but did not get it. For example - John Gavin for DAF before SC came back, Sam Neill for TLD who everybody wanted apart from Cuby Broccoli, Michael Billington who screen tested several times and ended up as Sergei Barzov in TSWLM, James Brolin etc.

I wondered who other fans would have like to have seen in the part. Personally I would have liked to have seen:

Sam Neil - he was excellent in Reilly Ace of Spies, and also made a low budget movie called Hostage where he played an MI6 assassin. I would have liked to have seen what he did with the part. I think his Bond would have been similiar to TD.

Lewis Collins - european fans will remember him as Bodie in the tv series The Professionals. Not sure if this ever ran in America. Apparently he cocked up an interview with Cubby Brocolli and didn't get any further. I think he would have had a good stab at Bond. As per his protrayal of Bodie few actors move from cuddly to killer as quickly or convincingly as Lewis Collins.

Who would you like to have seen in the role? I don't mean as a replacement for any of the actors who got the part, but just to see what they would have done with it.

Comments

• TonyDPTonyDP Inside the MonolithPosts: 4,288MI6 Agent
    I think this kind of discussion has cropped up before, but it's always fun to play with these "what-if" scenarios. Sam Neill is a favorite actor of mine and I would have loved to have seen in as Bond for at least one film. As to my picks:

Ian Oglivy
    Looked uncannily like a young Roger Moore; starred as Simon Templar for a time; and was very good at conveying a mix of toughness and charm.

Gerard Butler
    His accent might need a little work, but I was very impressed with his physicality and presence in 300.

Adrian Paul
    At 47 he's too old for Bond now but like Butler he's a very imposing physical presence and could probably handle the action in his sleep. Also looks a bit like a young Sean Connery at times.

James Purefoy
    I was really impressed with his acting in Rome; has a very commanding presence but also seems to be able to handle lighter acting.
  • MailfistMailfist Posts: 242MI6 Agent
    I'm new to thias forum so I may be playing catch up with you old hands.

Totally agree with you about Adrian Paul. Around the time all the speculation was running rampant in the press about who would play Bond in Cr I had just discovered Highlander on Sky and Adrian Paul would have been my choice. As you say he could do the action stuff in his sleep and he could be SC younger brother. Sorry he never got a chance.

I liked Ian Ogilvy in ROTS but I think he would only have worked as Bond if they were going to continue in the RM vein as he is a bit lightweight.
  • Honey RiderHoney Rider Posts: 211MI6 Agent
    For me it has always been Sam Neil. I'm not a big fan of Dalton and I think that if Neil had taken over in 1985, the the last three films of the 80's could have been great. :D
  • mendespaulomendesmendespaulomendes Posts: 4MI6 Agent
    What about Rio Ferdinand? He reminds me of S. Connery.
    Jonathan Cake? I saw him in «Mosley» and didn`t look bad
  • I never missI never miss EnglandPosts: 47MI6 Agent
    edited October 2007
    Lewis Collins was very keen on being Bond prior to Octopussy apparently, but as has been mentioned, he did not impress Cubby sufficiently. In fact, I have read that Cubby saw 'big time too early' signs in Collins that he'd already had to deal with in George Lazenby 13 years earlier, and this helped to put him off.

Lewis Collins was under six foot but more than made up for this with his brutal physicality. Question marks remain over his ability to charm an audience, or rather his lack of it. I don't believe he would have been able to show a more sensitive side of Bond - I think with Collins his Bond would have been a relentless hardman.

Every Bond actor - all 6 - have managed to some degree of success to show us a sensitive side of the character.
  • chrisno1chrisno1 LondonPosts: 3,343MI6 Agent
    James Brolin! just the thought always made me chuckle, as did Burt Reynolds!
    I agree about Sam Neill, he would have been excellent, but maybe a little too thespian.
    Lewis Collins and Ian Olgilvy hmm maybe.
    The actor that caught my eye while Pierce was pondering whether to do DAD was Joseph Fiennes, who would probably see JB as beneath him now, but wasnt so well kmown at the time.
  • TobiasTobias Chelmsford UKPosts: 115MI6 Agent
    I read a james bond magazine in a shop in London one time and it had a few contenders for the OHMSS role you guys probably heard about this Hans DE Vries was one of them and this magazine i read belong to the james bond fan club and it is the first time i saw a pictute of these men George Lazenby was one of them.
  • RavenstoneRavenstone EnglandPosts: 152MI6 Agent
    James Purefoy, without question. It would have been interesting.
  • LexiLexi LondonPosts: 3,000MI6 Agent
    I always though that Charles Dance would have been an excellent Bond. I know he portrayed Ian Fleming in Goldeneye....but I always thought he would have made a very ruthless 007.

His performances have always been great....White Mischief, Jewel in the Crown...there is something in his eyes...a rather cold detachment, and a rather cruel mouth, which, after reading CR, describes Ian Fleming's Bond to a T.

Of course the only problem is, he has such fair hair...and freckles...so that I'm sure would have put the cat amongst the pigeons....:o
    She's worth whatever chaos she brings to the table and you know it. ~ Mark Anthony
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,629Chief of Staff
    Lexi wrote:
    I always though that Charles Dance would have been an excellent Bond. I know he portrayed Ian Fleming in Goldeneye....but I always thought he would have made a very ruthless 007.

His performances have always been great....White Mischief, Jewel in the Crown...there is something in his eyes...a rather cold detachment, and a rather cruel mouth, which, after reading CR, describes Ian Fleming's Bond to a T.

Of course the only problem is, he has such fair hair...and freckles...so that I'm sure would have put the cat amongst the pigeons....:o

There was a report many years ago (if my aging memory serves it was around the time Roger Moore retired and there was the whole Dalton/Brosnan scenario) that Cubby liked a certain actor for Bond but was concerned that he wouldn't age well, thinking he would look too old too quickly. The name of the actor was tactfully withheld, but I always suspected it to be Dance. An excellent actor, and his Fleming was certainly better than Jason Connery's- plus he did manage to actually be in a Bond film!
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,994Quartermasters
    edited October 2008
    Sam Neill is the great missed opportunity, IMO. His Reilly: Ace of Spies is a classic; I think he could have delivered a very 'Fleming' Bond...but I don't necessarily think he could have done any better than Dalton did with the scripts he was handed :#
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • Willie GarvinWillie Garvin Posts: 1,412MI6 Agent
    edited October 2008
    I read somewhere that James Purefoy was actually EON's second choice to play 007 had Pierce Brosnan not been available to appear in GoldenEye.I think Purefoy's an excellent actor, and that he'd have been a dynamic James Bond.

I've always thought Gerard Butler has all of the qualities an actor needs to be an outstanding 007.He's physically imposing and does drama and comedy equally well.In fact,Butler's performance as the charismatic mercenary opposite Angelina Jolie's Lara Croft in the 2nd Tomb Raider film is practically his screentest for James Bond.

And I'll second(third?) Lexi's mention of the younger Charles Dance as 007.Especially with his hair dyed black--as it was when he played Ian Fleming.Maybe with the long scar running down his right cheek,too...At any rate,Dance is a terrific actor.
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,994Quartermasters
    Purefoy's Marc Antony, in HBO's spectactular Rome, was masterful. He's definitely got the look and the chops to be Bond.

I'd back Gerard Butler as well...couldn't take one's eyes off him in 300; talk about intensity.

Both of these guys were on all of those mythical (or not?) 'short lists' in the run-up to casting for CR. There really was a wealth of good choices out there...
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • AlexAlex The Eastern SeaboardPosts: 2,694MI6 Agent
    During his heyday, Rod Taylor would've been an excellent choice.

He exhibited a charming personality both onscreen and off, possessed alpha male looks, and had a great physique.

Could've been a GREAT Bond.
  • MailfistMailfist Posts: 242MI6 Agent
    I understand that Purefoy has been cast as Simon Templar in the new Saint series which is being made so maybe we will see a bit of what he could have been like as Bond.
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,879MI6 Agent
    I'm watching the fifth season of The Wire on DVD now. Amazing, but bittersweet to see such a masterfull TV-series knowing this is the klast season. When Bond #6 was being "cast" in this forum Domenic West was my favourite. He looks very cløose to what people expect Bond to look like, he is a very good actor and he has the right level of fame in the US. We don't really know if he can do action, but other than that I'm convinced he would have been a very good Bond. Dominic West is only one year younger than Craig, so CR was his chance to play Bond. When Craig hands on the tux West will probably be in his late 40's and we'l never know ...
    "klast" and "cløose" are not words in the english or norwegian languages, just proof that I should check my spelling more often. :s
  • OsatoOsato Aberdeen, ScotlandPosts: 99MI6 Agent
    Iain Ogilvy - the poor man's Roger Moore. Not really up to carrying a Bond movie IMO.

Lewis Collins could have been a good choice - I can imagine him being as good as Dalton if not better. TD just didn't look like he approved of all the nonsense, fine actor though he is.

Neill - yes. Purefoy, Butler, West - no. Can't say why, but that's just my gut reaction.

The one actor I would have really liked to see as Bond is Nat Parker. While I re-read the novels a couple of years ago, Parker was the Bond I could'nt get out of my head. He would have been very close to Fleming's Bond, perhaps a little "old-fashioned" now, but authentic none the less.
    Green figs, yoghurt, coffee very black.
  • DrMaybeDrMaybe Posts: 204MI6 Agent
    For me it has always been Sam Neil. I'm not a big fan of Dalton and I think that if Neil had taken over in 1985, the the last three films of the 80's could have been great. :D

Neill for me too. The thing that always struck me about him, was the close facial resemblance to Sean Connery, at least a young Sean.
  • SherbrookSherbrook Melbourne AustraliaPosts: 137MI6 Agent
    Bumping this old thread

Errol Flynn would have been perfect as Bond if the series had been around in his day

He had the look, voice and ladies' man reputation to do it

He is a regular on all-time best-dressed lists to this day
    I must be dreaming
  • Le SamouraiLe Samourai Honolulu, HIPosts: 573MI6 Agent
    Sherbrook wrote:
    Bumping this old thread

Errol Flynn would have been perfect as Bond if the series had been around in his day

He had the look, voice and ladies' man reputation to do it

He is a regular on all-time best-dressed lists to this day

Flynn never occurred to me, but I think he's an interesting choice. Very athletic, too, with a solid background in boxing.
    —Le Samourai

A Gent in Training.... A blog about my continuing efforts to be improve myself, be a better person, and lead a good life. It incorporates such far flung topics as fitness, self defense, music, style, food and drink, and personal philosophy.
    Agent In Training
  • ausbondfanausbondfan Posts: 61MI6 Agent
    Mel Gibson apparently wanted to be the guy to replace Timothy Dalton and play Bond at arguably his peak of popularity (1992, Just after Lethal Weapon 3)

I'm not sure if he'd be a good choice but in the early 90's he was seen as an American actor and did have the American accent. He may of been able to go back to the Australian accent for the role if need be but he does fit the location criteria and looks criteria.

Anyway as the story goes they thought Mel was too short for the role and rejected him. It could of been massive massive money though with Gibson at his peak and the money machine that is the James Bond franchise.
  • AlphaOmegaSinAlphaOmegaSin EnglandPosts: 10,924MI6 Agent
    Wasn't Clive Owen going to play Bond instead of Craig?
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
    Sam Neil, James Purefoy, Liam Neeson and Dominic West were all actual candidates who could have portrayed Bond very well.
  • NeverSayDieNeverSayDie Posts: 495MI6 Agent
    Richard Jack should play Bond.
    He matches Flemings description of a Bond; a young Hogey Carmichael.
  • minigeffminigeff EnglandPosts: 7,884MI6 Agent
    There's one well known actor who'll remain anonymous, who went to EoN expecting to be welcomed with open arms, apparently he was shown the definition of 'flight' by the doorman.

Must admit it made me chuckle when I was told.

I think Cary Grant would have been a good Felix Leiter, for Bond maybe Benidict Cumbersnatch, or is his a bit weedy?
    'Force feeding AJB humour and banter since 2009'
    Vive le droit à la libre expression! Je suis Charlie!
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
  • CubbyCubby Posts: 43MI6 Agent
    Jason Isaacs! He did end up playing a Bond-ish character in the Jackie Chan vehicle "The Tuxedo" (which this photo of him is from).

fleming007impression.jpg

tumblrm0vmb7vhkb1r93fyl.jpg