Craig's Airsoft P99

72897289 Beau DesertPosts: 1,691MI6 Agent
In watching CR'06 it looks to me that in a couple of scenes - Dryden's Office and Chasing Vesper through Venice, that Bond's P99 is an Airsoft replca and not a blank adapted P99.

Prehaps someone with Blue-Ray can tell for sure.

Comments

• Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,483MI6 Agent
    I thought this too, but it's not the case. In Drydens office he uses a live P99 converted to fire blanks, the silencer too is very different from the later versions. The Venice gun is definately a PAK with a modified PAK suppressor, you can clearly see the flame of the report and case ejecting when he is firing it, plus the triggerguard is very pronounced. No airsoft was used in any scene, sorry.
    ..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
  • 72897289 Beau DesertPosts: 1,691MI6 Agent
    edited July 2007
    I actually am glad that they used a real gun and not an airsoft. Its just that in a couple of the scenes DC shoots the Walther and there is no flash as if from a blank, but the gun cycles - so I thought they used an airsoft.

Those airsoft pistols are so close I can't tell them apart in pictures. Problem with the airsoft is they are almost as expensive as the real article. I would think they would be great for films - just CGI the flash!

Here is a really nit picky question... any idea if the Craig P99 had a laser etched or rollmarked slide?
    edited July 2007
    Righty then,

The only times that a real P99 is used is in the Dryden office scene,brief close up when he draws his P99 from holster in the Embassy and the DBS scene when he gets his goodies. From the serial number that I know for sure was used, it was a laser etched slide. I'm 100% certain of that.

Apart from that, everytime you see a P99, it is a PAK. The big give away is the very hooked triggerguard, silencer too close to the slide (the PAK barrel is fixed), large front sight, no protruding striker, no sight markings, angled front muzzle, and slightly recessed breach.

Mostly there is a muzzle flash, but it is small, so check it frame by frame to see it. The PAK silencer is designed to reduce sound by 77% and muzzle flash by 100%. The armourers did modify the baffles in the PAK silencer to allow some muzzle flash, but it depends on the actual blank ammo as to how much is produced. They used Umarex 9mm ammo, and the performance varies greatly from one round to the next. To be honest, real silencers/suppressors are designed to reduce muzzle flash too, so in a round about way, the representation that they got on film was very accurate. I was very happy with the way weapons were portrayed on screen, and believe me, thats saying alot.

For anyone wanting 100% screen accuracy in P99 buying, go for a laser etched slide in 9mm for the live P99 and a pre 2005 PAK with full front venting. Later versions have a stamped slide, which was not screen used. Afer that, for 90% accuracy, get a pre 2005 post 1999 live P99, or a Maruzen.
  • 72897289 Beau DesertPosts: 1,691MI6 Agent
    edited July 2007
  • Bond_P99Bond_P99 Posts: 4MI6 Agent
    i have a walther p99 airsoft gun with silencer. it is almost $90 on ebay!! but i got it for $30 on http://www.flyntairsoft.com/walther.html its the extra black kit. its sweet!! the guy also threw in an extra clip and 400 bbs. the clip has a 100 shot storege in the clip so its very fast to reload.:)!! i reca mend. but if u get a silencer the tip looks like a screw without it on. otherwise if u dont get the silencer its the same gun. my bro bought the non silenced one.

MUST BUY!!!!
  • MacrossmasterMacrossmaster Tulsa, OKPosts: 73MI6 Agent
    Thanks for the heads up....I'll look into ordering one.
  • gussguss South Wales, UKPosts: 195MI6 Agent
    edited January 2008
    Hi all
    Happy new year to you all
  • StrangewaysStrangeways London, UKPosts: 1,469MI6 Agent
    My understanding was that in the UK a blank firing replica was OK. Can anyone let me know as I have just ordered the Walther P99 Black kit that you quoted!! :#
    My understanding was that in the UK a blank firing replica was OK. Can anyone let me know as I have just ordered the Walther P99 Black kit that you quoted!! :#

Nope, under the new VCR Act both airsofts and blank replicas are now illegal. That kit you ordered is now illegal in this country unfortunately, so cancel quick to get your money back and avoid embarassing questions when it is seized by customs :o
  • SolarisSolaris Blackpool, UKPosts: 308MI6 Agent
    So does anyone know what we are allowed in the UK?
    Deactivated, that's all.
  • eyehateusernameseyehateusernames Posts: 28MI6 Agent
    asp9mm: Is the P99 9mm used in CR and the Brosnan films the AS (double action with anti-stress mode) or the QA (quick action) or something else? I'm looking to buy one and the only one available here (North Dakota) is a QA.
    It the AS trigger system, although it is a pre 2004 model so wasn't called the AS then, just P99. In 2004 they changed the frame and slide design quite radically and designated it the AS. All of the Bond films have used the pre 2004 design, which is much nicer and better looking.
  • FitzochrisFitzochris Posts: 242MI6 Agent
    Why anyone outwith the armed forces would want to own a gun, replica or otherwise, is beyond me. Each to their own though I guess.
    Fitzochris wrote:
    Why anyone outwith the armed forces would want to own a gun, replica or otherwise, is beyond me. Each to their own though I guess.

I have the same thoughts about people who would buy an Omega Seamaster over Rolex Submariner :D
  • Herr MichaelHerr Michael Posts: 360MI6 Agent
    Fitzochris wrote:

Because many of us believe that individuals are ultimately responsible for their own safety and well-being, not the Government's responsibility because you care too little about your own safety to do anything for yourself.