RIP John Barry, Legend

Comments

• icsics Posts: 1,413MI6 Agent
  • PredatorPredator Posts: 790Chief of Staff
    Very sad. You will be missed JB but remembered for all of those songs.
  • Mister WhiteMister White The NetherlandsPosts: 814MI6 Agent
    I was shocked when I heard this news on the radio.

This is a terrible day for both Bond and music fans.

He will be missed.
    "Christ, I miss the Cold War."
  • mrbain007mrbain007 Posts: 393MI6 Agent
    As the title to this thread says: RIP John Barry, legend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Is8Ha7_KEfg&feature=related
  • Golrush007Golrush007 South AfricaPosts: 3,418Quartermasters
    Rest in peace John Barry...probably my favourite film music composer. As well as his exceptional Bond music, scores such as Dances With Wolves, The Ipcress File, Out of Africa, Zulu, Raise The Titanic and many more memorable works make up his exceptional oeuvre, which will be enjoyed and cherished by music fans for many years to come.
  • PeppermillPeppermill DelftPosts: 2,860MI6 Agent
    Sad news, a legend indeed.
    1. Ohmss 2. Frwl 3. Op 4. Tswlm 5. Tld 6. Ge 7. Yolt 8. Lald 9. Cr 10. Ltk 11. Dn 12. Gf 13. Qos 14. Mr 15. Tmwtgg 16. Fyeo 17. Twine 18. Sf 19. Tb 20 Tnd 21. Spectre 22 Daf 23. Avtak 24. Dad
  • The Domino EffectThe Domino Effect Posts: 3,631MI6 Agent
    Unquestionably one of the greatest film composers ever.
  • Red IndianRed Indian BostonPosts: 427MI6 Agent
    I was just listening to the Chaplin Soundtrack last night!

The BEST film composer ever as far as this fan is concerned!

Thank you for all of the memories that will live on because of your music!
  • ilovebondjamesbondilovebondjamesbond Posts: 10MI6 Agent
    John, thank you for your great contribution to the world!

Here is a link to a rare video... I hope everyone will enjoy it..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LXhBf73Prc

It's a TV ad for Japanese coffee, "Maxim", aired some time during 1970s and or early 80s, along with Kirk Douglas and John Barry (only for the first 30 seconds) shot in the USA.
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    A great composer. Period. I can say no more.
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • Pkane2131Pkane2131 Posts: 22MI6 Agent
    Such a heavy day. I just read the news on CNN an hour ago. Being super fans of the Bond films we all know the music is 70% of the "goose bump factor" while taking in the action. Watching my first Bond movie at the cinema at age 11 (MWTGG) will never leave my memory, the music will never leave my ears. Thank you John Barry .
  • bigzilchobigzilcho Toronto, ONPosts: 245MI6 Agent
    A loss in the Bond family always hurts.

Its a cliche, but John Barry wrote the soundtrack to Bond's life.

It is impossible to think of 007 without humming a Barry tune. THATS his legacy.

Bond will live forever. And so will Barry's work.

RIP
  • KissyLoverKissyLover AustraliaPosts: 139MI6 Agent
    R.I.P. John Barry.

Hearing of this great mans death on the radio this morning was a surreal moment .... almost didn't believe it.

He was so much a part of the reason I loved James Bond movies.

-{
  • John DrakeJohn Drake On assignmentPosts: 2,564MI6 Agent
    Just heard the sad news about John Barry. A vital part in the success of the James Bond movies, and married Jane Birkin. Huge respect for both. RIP sir.
  • Bond_James_BondBond_James_Bond +++ Classified +++Posts: 569MI6 Agent
    An absolute legend !!

I always dreamed he would do one more Bond film.

RIP - Your memory will live on, forever...
    The name's Bond_James_Bond
  • Hugo DraxHugo Drax Leeds, United Kingdom.Posts: 210MI6 Agent
    John Barry was a musical maestro and played such a large role in the success of the Bond films. He leaves a rich musical legacy for generations to enjoy.

May he rest in peace.
  • BlackleiterBlackleiter Washington, DCPosts: 5,615MI6 Agent
    Such a tremendous loss! This maestro of beautiful soundtracks was such a crucial element to the iconic and enduring appeal of James Bond movies. In my opinion, there is a huge void at the center of every Bond film that wasn't scored by John Barry. From the classic title songs for Goldfinger, You Only Live Twice, Diamods Are Forever, Moonraker, and, of course, On Her Majesty's Secret Service, to lush and beautiful musical interludes such as the instrumental rendition of A View To A Kill and the sumptuous "Mujahadin and Opium" from The Living Daylights, Barry's music mesmerized me and transported me to world of 007. He will indeed be missed, but thank God his music will live on.
    "Felix Leiter, a brother from Langley."
  • shaken66shaken66 california usaPosts: 155MI6 Agent
    I'll never forget sitting in a dark theater in 1964 and getting goosebumps when the first two notes of the Goldfinger theme thundered out over the opening credits. And yet, as much as I loved Barry's music for the Bond films, some of his other work grabbed me in different and, I think, more affecting way. There have been many great film composers, Korngold, Steiner, Rozsa, and Williams to name a few, who have produced gorgeous music, but the word that uniquely comes to mind for some of Barry's melodies is "ethereal". I can't think of another film composer who captured this element as well. As much as I'm feeling old today, worse, I'm feeling sad. :(
    "How did he die?"
    "Your contact?" "Not well."
  • mrbain007mrbain007 Posts: 393MI6 Agent
    Here is a little article I wrote about my memories of John Barry and Bond:

http://thecollectivereview.com/stephen-bain/rip-john-barry-1933-2011.html
  • Red IndianRed Indian BostonPosts: 427MI6 Agent
    edited February 2011
    The list of his film credits outside of Bond is jaw-dropping.

Please give this a listen if you have time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFOCqZxRDU0

This could have easily been Vesper's theme!

He really was the BEST! :x

There was not a period in history (which all of his soundtracks covered) that he could not convey the simplest and most honest of emotions.

I will never forget "Out of Africa" and "Dances With Wolves" (among MANY others) simply because of his music!
  • Gebruder GumboldGebruder Gumbold San FranciscoPosts: 541MI6 Agent
    Thank you, John Barry. Our AJB bretheren have said it all, and I want for you to know just how deeply your music has touched me, influenced my life, and brought hundreds of hours of enjoyment to me and my family. The soudtrack of my life is written by you- not a day goes by where I'm not whistling a tune of yours! If I am driving, it's "Alpine Drive," or "Other Feller." Just walking about it is "All the Time in the World," and, of course, God forbid, at a funeral, the "Slumber Inc" music is in my head.
    When I (finally) marry, your music will be featured at our wedding!
    You have given to the world a glorious gift, and now I know that you are in a place where you can see how much your fans loved your work!
    Thank you, thank you so much for your gifts to us all!
    OHMSSDBS.com
  • Shady TreeShady Tree London, UKPosts: 2,965MI6 Agent
    RIP John Barry

A unique and inspiring talent, with an enormous legacy in popular culture. Barry's sounds made Bond - and no Bond film without Barry ever worked quite the same magic.
    Critics and material I don't need. I haven't changed my act in 53 years.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    edited March 2011
    I learnt the other day ( this is probably old news to some members ) that he did the music for an old film "starcrash" which is awful, I caught some of it on youtube, and it is terrible. and so odd to see such a cheap production ( the model work is from a school play ) then hear the beautiful strings arrangements he was know for playing .I did read he was kept away from it so he wouldn't know how bad it was. I'm only posting for any one who hasn't see it it's worth a look, because it so bad it's good. and it came as a complete surprise to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynNBVDaTeB8
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,238MI6 Agent
    Here's a brilliant tribute to John Barry in The Spectator, from the mi6 website.

John Barry tribute
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • chrisno1chrisno1 LondonPosts: 3,172MI6 Agent
    Hard to believe it is ten years since the great John Barry passed away. He will always be the composer I most associate with James Bond. I will listen to my "Best Of..." CD tonight and remember his undoubted brilliance.
    It is extraordinary that ten years has passed. I've certainly spent a lot of time listening-to and enjoying Barry's work in the last decade and will continue to do so as long as I live. In recent years I've started to consider The Living Daylights my favourite Barry score (not the best, but the one I enjoy listening to most) so I think I may listen to that score today.
  • chrisno1chrisno1 LondonPosts: 3,172MI6 Agent
    In recent years I've started to consider The Living Daylights my favourite Barry score (not the best, but the one I enjoy listening to most) so I think I may listen to that score today.

A very underrated score. I think it's an age thing. The score is much more obviously "romantic" than any other 007 score bar OHMSS, and as a youthful whipper-snapper, I hated it. I also hated Aha which didn't help at the time of release. Now I'm approaching middle aged dotage, I enjoy the quiet brilliance of Barry's TLD - I think, because I understand the character of Kara a lot more. The Pretenders song helps too, a theme Barry uses well throughout to enhance the emotional moments. It's not his best score, but it is certainly a lovely last hurrah.
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    I think TLD is Barry's best Bond score. It's the only film that he wrote three proper songs for, and he uses them all brilliantly throughout the score along with the Bond Theme and a few other themes he wrote. I think it's on the same level as OHMSS. Both have electronics of their time, though I'd say the Moog holds up better today than the 1980s drum machine.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
    ;)
    Matt S wrote:
    I think TLD is Barry's best Bond score. It's the only film that he wrote three proper songs for, and he uses them all brilliantly throughout the score along with the Bond Theme and a few other themes he wrote. I think it's on the same level as OHMSS. Both have electronics of their time, though I'd say the Moog holds up better today than the 1980s drum machine.

The fact that Barry created three songs, and wove those melodies through the score is one of the main reasons that I rate TLD's soundtrack so highly. I am always quick to praise any Bond score that uses the theme song's melody as a recurring motif throughout the film. The Living Daylights goes the extra mile in this regard, providing three songs with melodies that perform a variety of roles throughout the film. The Living Daylights and Where Has Everybody Gone provide excellent material for action cues, and Where Has Everybody Gone even provides some brooding emotion at some points. Meanwhile If There Was a Man is a romantic theme on par with many classic Barry romantic tunes. These three films add a great deal to The Living Daylights, helping to make it a memorable Bond film - one of my all time favourites in fact - despite there being a few glaring weaknesses in the film. The impact of these weaknesses are greatly lessened by Barry's well thought out, detailed and coherent score.