Bond saves Greene?

ZorinIndustriesZorinIndustries United StatesPosts: 837MI6 Agent
I re-watched QoS last night and there was one question in my mind. When Bond had a hold of Greene over the ledge, why is it that he pulled him up and let him go? I remember him saying something to Camille about only needing one shot at revenge... make it count. Does this have anything to do with it?
"Better luck next time... slugheads!"

1. GoldenEye 2. Goldfinger 3. Skyfall 4. OHMSS 5. TWINE

Comments

• DJ007DJ007 United StatesPosts: 174MI6 Agent
    I always thought that Bond wanted information about Quantum from Greene. If he had dropped him than he wouldn't have been able to get that information. In the desert I think Greene says something like "I told you everything and you promised to let me go." It's been awhile since I watched it but that's my thought.
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    DJ007 wrote:
    I always thought that Bond wanted information about Quantum from Greene. If he had dropped him than he wouldn't have been able to get that information. In the desert I think Greene says something like "I told you everything and you promised to let me go." It's been awhile since I watched it but that's my thought.

And I agree: Bond needs him for information, and once he gets it he lets Greene wander the desert to die.
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • ZorinIndustriesZorinIndustries United StatesPosts: 837MI6 Agent
    That's right I forgot about that line. It confused me because they didn't show that scene where this information is given. I figured he saved him because he wanted info, but why would he strand him out in the desert instead? But this makes much more sense.
    "Better luck next time... slugheads!"

1. GoldenEye 2. Goldfinger 3. Skyfall 4. OHMSS 5. TWINE
  • LexiLexi LondonPosts: 3,000MI6 Agent
    I think Bond always knew he was going to put Greene in this situation - a sort of false hope..... he promised Greene to set him free, for info, which he does, but it allows Bond to give Greene a can of oil - a fitting end (he knew he would drink it...) considering how fields was killed. A rather clever revenge IMO :007)
    She's worth whatever chaos she brings to the table and you know it. ~ Mark Anthony
  • ke02ewwke02eww USPosts: 2,063MI6 Agent
    Lexi wrote:
    I think Bond always knew he was going to put Greene in this situation - a sort of false hope..... he promised Greene to set him free, for info, which he does, but it allows Bond to give Greene a can of oil - a fitting end (he knew he would drink it...) considering how fields was killed. A rather clever revenge IMO :007)

Spot on IMHO Lexi.... ;)

Bond kept his word, extracted the info, and exacted the perfect revenge for fields...

He knew greene wouldn't get far on foot ( the one without the axe hole in it..) and gambled greene wouldnt find a vehicle with it's keys in....or his ability to "hot" it....

He also gambled that Quantum wouldn't find Greene before he felt compelled to drink the oil...but even then greene's fate was sealed....just with lead in the stomach instead of oil...

All in all a satisfying scene... B-)
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Greene putting the axe through his own foot is one of the funniest parts of the movie, along with the line after the gunshot " There goes another one!" a pitty he was so under used a great light villain in the mold of Blofeld from DAF. :))
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • smudgedudesmudgedude Posts: 162MI6 Agent
    i prefer the ruthless, blood thirsty bond as opposed to the "let the fates handle you" bond.
  • dickiebartdickiebart Posts: 220MI6 Agent
    Greene putting the axe through his own foot is one of the funniest parts of the movie

Axe is hilarious, his screech makes it funny.

Yep Bond questions Greene in car I suspect, before he leaves him there.
    http://www.007collection.blogspot.com check it! All my 007 autographs, toys, cars, books and more!
    I think Craigs Bond is very "Green" Mathis he throws in a dumster to keep the city tidy and greene he takes to the desert where his Body will feed millions if small animals and bacteria, and become part of the earth again. Showing a thoughtfulness to Bonds character many lesser actors have over looked in the past. well done Sir. -{
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    smudgedude wrote:
    i prefer the ruthless, blood thirsty bond as opposed to the "let the fates handle you" bond.

Well, having been told off by M for his kill on instinct, I think he decided to go for another tack.

Having just watched QoS again, you can see him hesitating when he has Greene hanging over the side of the walkway... he's making a calculated choice...you can see him wanting to let go... but you can also imagine the voice going off in his head..."we wanted to question him, not kill him" and so he decided to let him go....knowing he didn't have anywhere to go.

Then he caught up with him, and managed to question him... showing restraint for a change. Which then leads to him leaving Yusef alive...

One step at a time... like AA :))
    She's worth whatever chaos she brings to the table and you know it. ~ Mark Anthony
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    smudgedude wrote:

Actually, I think Bond's behavior toward Greene IS ruthless and bloodthirsty. . .he leaves him in the middle of a desert with only motor oil to drink, and he knows Greene's "fate" is dark indeed. Shooting him in the head would be a mercy killing.
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • smudgedudesmudgedude Posts: 162MI6 Agent
    Hardyboy wrote:
    smudgedude wrote:

Actually, I think Bond's behavior toward Greene IS ruthless and bloodthirsty. . .he leaves him in the middle of a desert with only motor oil to drink, and he knows Greene's "fate" is dark indeed. Shooting him in the head would be a mercy killing.

i would have preferred something like shooting him in both his legs, leaving him there, then phoning greene's enemies and telling them where they can find him.
    I like your Thinking Smudgedude :D -{
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,417Chief of Staff
    smudgedude wrote:
    Hardyboy wrote:
    smudgedude wrote:

i would have preferred something like shooting him in both his legs, leaving him there, then phoning greene's enemies and telling them where they can find him.

Bond may be a killer...but he's NOT a sadist !
    YNWA 97
    smudgedude wrote:
    Hardyboy wrote:
    smudgedude wrote:

Nah, that was done at the end of CR... (well one of them anyway, on Mr White) - I think the can of oil... in regards to Fields death, was much more appropriate. (And deliberate no doubt :D)
    But he hasn't become Bond yet, So can't we have a little sadism ,It would tie in so well with my other favourite series of Movies SAW. :))