There's a capture or kill order on you.

In the scene where Bond returns to the hotel to be greeted by M, after he escapes capture in the lift and makes his way back to his room (or M). When he bumps into her in the corridor she says to him "there's a capture or kill order on you" to which Bond replies "I wonder who would have done that" as he turns to look down off the balcony. The scene then cuts to Tanner who is running up the stairs, seemingly after Bond? Is Bond insinuating that Tanner made the CoK call or have I read it wrong?
Of course you are

Comments

• Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,417Chief of Staff
    I don't think Tanner would be able to make a call that important...I thought it came from the Americans...possibly exerting pressure on Number 10....
    YNWA 97
  • LexiLexi LondonPosts: 3,000MI6 Agent
    I always thought it was him being sarcastic... as in, M had something to do with it.

I never quite understood what Bond said, to make M suddenly change her mind about the situation ie. helping him to escape - unless her public repremand in the hotel room was just for show... (she was, after all, the one who ordered the restrictions on his card - and no doubt it was from that that lead to his CoK....) no?
    She's worth whatever chaos she brings to the table and you know it. ~ Mark Anthony
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    I too always thought It would of been M who put out the order ( at the insistence of the Americas no doubt ).
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • thesecretagentthesecretagent CornwallPosts: 2,151MI6 Agent
    Funny how we all see things differently. I see Bond strutting back after taking out the security personnel in the lift so quickly, as "who would have done that?" ie who would have been up to the task? - not the guys M got to take him downstairs, that's for sure.

But I think the Americans putting pressure on no 10 works best.
    Amazon #1 Bestselling Author. If you enjoy crime, espionage, action and fast-moving thrillers follow this link:

http://apbateman.com
  • Mr BeechMr Beech Florida, USAPosts: 1,749MI6 Agent
    edited September 2011
    Funny how we all see things differently. I see Bond strutting back after taking out the security personnel in the lift so quickly, as "who would have done that?" ie who would have been up to the task? - not the guys M got to take him downstairs, that's for sure.

But I think the Americans putting pressure on no 10 works best.

Er, I think his question is asking who would have put the order out, because it is still presently active when he is speaking, not a past occurrence that was cancelled and he asking asking past tense. The order being issued is the past event that he would be asking about.

That said, I am pretty sure M had to do the order because it is her branch. I think it is correct to assume she was pressured to seek punishment from other organizations she works with.

It's basically her saying, "Look what I had to do to cover our backs because of your behavior." He knows that she can't go against her peer agencies like the CIA just because she doesn't see a need to punish Bond, so she must go after "problem" agents to remain cooperative with those agencies.
  • Golrush007Golrush007 South AfricaPosts: 3,418Quartermasters
    Mr Beech wrote:
    That said, I am pretty sure M had to do the order because it is her branch. I think it is correct to assume she was pressured to seek punishment from other organizations she works with.

Agreed, especially since M says "I don't give a **** about the CIA and their trumped up evidence." So we can assume it was the CIA pushing to get Bond out of the way - probably Gregory Beam, since he had made a deal with Greene to get rid of Bond.
  • 007DAN007DAN CheshirePosts: 99MI6 Agent
    Golrush007 wrote:
    Mr Beech wrote:

Agreed, especially since M says "I don't give a **** about the CIA and their trumped up evidence." So we can assume it was the CIA pushing to get Bond out of the way - probably Gregory Beam, since he had made a deal with Greene to get rid of Bond.

Now we are getting somewhere. That makes perfect sence.
    Of course you are
    007DAN wrote:
    Golrush007 wrote:
    Mr Beech wrote:

Now we are getting somewhere. That makes perfect sence.

So, my theory of M being upset with Bond in the hotel was for show.... I'm still unsure though of when she changed her mind... I mean she was very adamant when giving the restriction orders (in the bathroom a few scenes before...) unless she is being a typical woman of course... with her prerogative an all.... :))
    She's worth whatever chaos she brings to the table and you know it. ~ Mark Anthony
    Lexi, you too might be on to something. I never found M convincing in the hotel room. Maybe she intended for Bond to read her, which is why Bond went back to talk to her instead of 'doing one' after evading capture. I know she sent 3 heavies with Bond in the lift but if she really wanted him held, she would have made sure she put her best boys in the job.
    Of course you are
    007DAN wrote:
    Lexi, you too might be on to something. I never found M convincing in the hotel room. Maybe she intended for Bond to read her, which is why Bond went back to talk to her instead of 'doing one' after evading capture. I know she sent 3 heavies with Bond in the lift but if she really wanted him held, she would have made sure she put her best boys in the job.

Fair point... however, it's a fairy risky strategy that he could get himself out of that situation... it's a shame it's not a little clearer... unless I'm missing something really obvious :))
    Ah, Quantum of Solace! The film that just keeps on giving years after we all first watched it... A multi-faceted, layered piece of work, which was shot in such a way as to bring the eye and ear a new meaning and avenue of viewing each and every time it is viewed. Or as Thunderpussy would say - a total load of Bollocks on a shaky cam (he probably didn't say this, but soon will I suspect) ... Such is the film's genius, I'm still confused as to which I think it is... :s
    Amazon #1 Bestselling Author. If you enjoy crime, espionage, action and fast-moving thrillers follow this link:

"A Total load of Bollocks on a shaky cam"
    How did you know I would say this, You have unearthly powers TSA. :v
    watch out the locals will be round tonight with Bruning pitchforks :))
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    "A Total load of Bollocks on a shaky cam"
    How did you know I would say this, You have unearthly powers TSA. :v
    watch out the locals will be round tonight with Bruning pitchforks :))

What's a bruning pitchfork?
    Of course you are
  • GaddGeneGaddGaddGeneGadd Posts: 189MI6 Agent
    I will say it for you TP
    The film was a total load of Bollocks on a shaky cam :D :s :D
    What the film really needed was more umbrella's and less nuance :)) :)) :)) :))
    007DAN, sadly sometimes my fingers rush ahead of my brain, please read Burning pitchforks. :)) a traditional sign of welcome to all strangers, as seen in many old Frankenstein movies. :v
    torch_and_pitchfork.jpg

Leave it alone - it's a great film!

edited September 2011
    You know what, I'm gettin' 'em out...I think Quantum is the second best Bond film of all time. There, I said it! What, What!!!!!!
    Of course you are
    I've had to put mine back as it's quite cold here. :v :))