James Leasor's Dr Jason Love novels

MustonMuston Huncote, Leicestershire Posts: 228MI6 Agent
Have found out that author James Leasor was originally asked to write the first continuation Bond novel after Fleming's death but turned it down. He has written 10 Dr Jason Love (Bond-style) novels and I'm thinking of giving them a go. Anyone read these books and if so what did you think?
"Thank you very much. I was just out walking my RAT and seem to have lost my way... "

Comments

• Charmed & DangerousCharmed & Dangerous Posts: 7,358MI6 Agent
    I haven't read them but they made a fun film version of one, called 'Where the Spies Are', with David Niven back in the sixties - in the same vein as The Liquidator, Carry On Spying and other slightly comedic spy films that pretty well jumped on the Bondwagon.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0059905/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1
    "How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,059Chief of Staff
    I read and enjoyed them in the 70s- recommended!
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,646MI6 Agent
    Anyone else read these?

What would his Bond continuations have been like I wonder, if he had accepted the gig?
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,646MI6 Agent
    edited May 2016
    I'm currently buying up all of the Dr Jason Love spy novels. :)

I'm very interested in how James Leasor was asked to be the first James Bond continuation author before Kingsley Amis and Geoffrey Jenkins, on the strength of his successful Dr Jason Love spy novel series (one of which was filmed).

Does anyone know anything more about this besides the scant information that is available about this online which comes from his obituary in The Times in 2007?

If so, I'd love to hear from you. :) -{
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • stagstag Posts: 2,083MI6 Agent
    Muston wrote:
    Have found out that author James Leasor was originally asked to write the first continuation Bond novel after Fleming's death but turned it down. He has written 10 Dr Jason Love (Bond-style) novels and I'm thinking of giving them a go. Anyone read these books and if so what did you think?

CoolHandBond should be able to answer your questions. He has a great thread running about spy novels. Check it out if you haven't already as it's a great read.
    stag wrote:
    Muston wrote:

CoolHandBond should be able to answer your questions. He has a great thread running about spy novels. Check it out if you haven't already as it's a great read.

Seconded. :) -{
  • CoolHandBondCoolHandBond Mactan IslandPosts: 6,033MI6 Agent
    I don't know much about James Leasor I'm sorry to say but I did cover the Jason Love series in the Spy Guide thread. I also didn't know that he had been contacted about writing the Bond series so I have learnt something there :)
    Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,059Chief of Staff
    ...and the first novel was filmed, as SM mentioned, starring David Niven:

AA_OLD_MAN_3.jpg
    tschaikowsky.jpg
    aa_oldman_joanna.jpg

by much the same people as CR67 (Val Guest, Wolf Mankowitz, etc).