The Billy Reid Peacoat is a GO!

Comments

• frostfrost Posts: 32MI6 Agent
    I'd say an XS would be better than a small. I'm 5'9", 42" chest and 32" waist and a small fit me quite well. Mind you, I tried on two different coats, both size small, and one was noticeable looser in the chest than the other. But neither was too tight anywhere.

I can't say I agree with this, I'm 5'9" / 165 lbs / 32 waist / 41" chest / athletic build. I'd hulk hogan a small if I tried to button it up, and I'm not a big guy. Upper body strength, absolutely, but I'm not one of those dudes that can't put their arms down. I'm not sure how you can possibly fit into a small with similar measurements.
  • thelordflasheartthelordflasheart Posts: 310MI6 Agent
    frost wrote:
    I'd say an XS would be better than a small. I'm 5'9", 42" chest and 32" waist and a small fit me quite well. Mind you, I tried on two different coats, both size small, and one was noticeable looser in the chest than the other. But neither was too tight anywhere.

I can't say I agree with this, I'm 5'9" / 165 lbs / 32 waist / 41" chest / athletic build. I'd hulk hogan a small if I tried to button it up, and I'm not a big guy. Upper body strength, absolutely, but I'm not one of those dudes that can't put their arms down. I'm not sure how you can possibly fit into a small with similar measurements.

I've had this reaction before, but for some reason only on this site (I had to post a picture of me wearing my size small Tokito to prove that I could "fit into it").

My measurements are accurate as they were confirmed by my tailor last year around the time that I tried on the BR peacoat. As well, the salesrep where I tried on the BR checked out the fit of the coat on me and thought that the small fit me not only better than the other sizes but very well. Perhaps it's personal preference as to how roomy something is? I do know that in the past I've seen some people post photos of themselves here and their clothes seem (to me, anyway) too large on them, evidenced by placement of the shoulder seams and sleeve length.
  • jermyzyjermyzy Posts: 13MI6 Agent
    Thanks for the advice guys, I think I'm going to pull the trigger on the XS. Will post pics when it arrives. :)
    My measurements are accurate as they were confirmed by my tailor last year around the time that I tried on the BR peacoat. As well, the salesrep where I tried on the BR checked out the fit of the coat on me and thought that the small fit me not only better than the other sizes but very well. Perhaps it's personal preference as to how roomy something is? I do know that in the past I've seen some people post photos of themselves here and their clothes seem (to me, anyway) too large on them, evidenced by placement of the shoulder seams and sleeve length.

Not sure what to say. I certainly don't mean to be confrontational in the least, I assure you. My medium literally hugs me pretty tight, and I'm OCD about nearly anything sartorial in nature. A small would be like a wet suit on me.

There you have it guys. Two people with nearly identical measurements that fit into different sizes. All things considered (and with all clothing, not just BR), YMMV. When in doubt, buy two and return one.
  • Westward_DriftWestward_Drift Posts: 3,085MI6 Agent
    Well, I got to try on the cotton version of the BR peacoat. It has lined sleeves and bigger hand warmer pockets. (The flap pockets are larger too, but they are patch pockets so that's to be expected.)
    Hey guys, just placed an order for the Bond Navy Peacoat in XS :)

Just a tip for those of you interested in buying it, I managed to get a 10% discount code in my e-mail by accident :) . If you add the jacket to your cart, then ignore for a couple days, they will email you asking if you forgot your order (I was still deciding if I wanted the jacket). Ignored that for a couple more days, and I got a second email with a 10% off code that worked on the jacket. I emailed customer service and they still consider it a "full-price" purchase so it's eligible for a refund if it doesn't fit. Hope that helps!
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    {[] Congratulation, nicely done :)) -{
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    Hey guys, I received my jacket. Overall it is a very nice jacket. The XS fit me quite well, except the sleeves are a little wide and a little long, but I'm still quite happy with the fit for OTR jacket. Love the way it looks. The fabric is very thick and warm! The colour is much darker than I expected. It looks black except under very bright light where it has only the slightest tinge of blue.

The only complaint I have is with the the leather strips used for the pocket flaps and on the collar. On the pocket flaps, the sides are not dyed, so while most of the leather is dark brown, the sides are a light tan. On the collar, the leather has very small lines/cracks, so again while most of the leather is dark brown, there is a multitude of light tan spiderweb cracks on the leather. I'm not sure if this was done on purpose to give it an aged look? Does everybody else's jacket have this as well or just mine?

Will try to post some pics in a few days.
  • cheldcheld Posts: 300MI6 Agent
    jermyzy wrote:
    On the pocket flaps, the sides are not dyed, so while most of the leather is dark brown, the sides are a light tan. On the collar, the leather has very small lines/cracks, so again while most of the leather is dark brown, there is a multitude of light tan spiderweb cracks on the leather.

Those sound like defects. The leather pieces on mine are of uniform colo(u)r.
    jermyzy wrote:
    Hey guys, I received my jacket. Overall it is a very nice jacket. The XS fit me quite well, except the sleeves are a little wide and a little long, but I'm still quite happy with the fit for OTR jacket. Love the way it looks. The fabric is very thick and warm! The colour is much darker than I expected. It looks black except under very bright light where it has only the slightest tinge of blue.

The only complaint I have is with the the leather strips used for the pocket flaps and on the collar. On the pocket flaps, the sides are not dyed, so while most of the leather is dark brown, the sides are a light tan. On the collar, the leather has very small lines/cracks, so again while most of the leather is dark brown, there is a multitude of light tan spiderweb cracks on the leather. I'm not sure if this was done on purpose to give it an aged look? Does everybody else's jacket have this as well or just mine?

Need pictures.
    Will post some pictures tonight when I get off work, but they look similar to these photos posted by another member on page 26.

DSC06730.jpg

You can see the thin strip of light beige on the side of the seams

DSC06728.jpg

You can see some of the cracks along the bottom of the collar, except mine is much more noticeable
    Okay, here are the pics. The pocket flap doesn't bother me too much, but you can see the discoloration on the collar is very noticeable.

collar_zps13d0584a.jpg

collar2_zps404ae6c8.jpg

pocket2_zps2945b2d7.jpg
  • The Bond ExperienceThe Bond Experience Newtown, PAPosts: 5,490Quartermasters
    You paid way too much not to be happy...I would absolutely write to Graham Heard and tell him you are dissatisfied...
    IMO, micromanaging the flap pockets errs on the anal-retentive side of absurdly ridiculous, but the collar is up for debate. Some people might like a bit more "weathered" look, while others will not. It's entirely subjective. Understand that leather is just animal skin, and subject to the same imperfections that our own skin exibits. No two pieces are going to look exactly alike. If you're not happy, return or exchange it.
    Thanks for the replies. Like I said, I can live with the pocket flaps. I feel the collar goes a bit beyond weathered. When viewing the jacket from behind it actually looks yellow. I know leather is unique pieces, but it looks more like they did a bad job when colouring the leather. I've emailed Billy Reid and just waiting for a reply
  • Smithers500Smithers500 Spectre IslandPosts: 1,341MI6 Agent
    Yes I wouldn't be happy with the collar, the flaps less so, but as a wise man may have once remarked, "as long as the collars and flaps match"...
    Japanese proverb say, "Bird never make nest in bare tree".
    No doubt they'll take care of you. They have excellent customer service..
    Hey guys, the jacket is going back for exchange. They told me the crackling was normal but I was welcome to exchange the jacket. I was warned that the replacement jacket might be the same. But looking at everybody else's photos and descriptions, mine seems to be significantly worse than others...will post when I get the replacement jacket. Wish me luck!
  • kaddkadd Posts: 917MI6 Agent
    I have the 80/20. The pocket is finished and doesn't have the raw yellow edge like jermyzy's coat. When you look closely at my collar, it does have the yellow discolouration where the leather cracks, but not to the same extent. Overall it still looks dark brown/black.

I think it is just down to luck and the leather you get on that particular jacket.
    Quick update guys. Got the replacement jacket. Good news, the leather is perfect this time. No noticeable cracking on collar and leather trim on pockets are finished. Bad news, even though it is same size (XS), this jacket fits looser, not nearly as fitted as my first jacket ?:) Will likely keep this jacket. Will try to post up pics in the next few days to show comparison of leather, not sure if the first jacket I got was a defect? Quick look on the website shows the XS is now OOS
  • thelordflasheartthelordflasheart Posts: 310MI6 Agent
    I tried on two different size smalls last year and there was a noticeable difference in the chest. Both of these had the "cracked leather" look to the trim which I assumed was intentional. It will be interesting to see what they look like this year when they roll out to stores.
    jermyzy wrote:
    Quick update guys. Got the replacement jacket. Good news, the leather is perfect this time. No noticeable cracking on collar and leather trim on pockets are finished. Bad news, even though it is same size (XS), this jacket fits looser, not nearly as fitted as my first jacket ?:) Will likely keep this jacket. Will try to post up pics in the next few days to show comparison of leather, not sure if the first jacket I got was a defect? Quick look on the website shows the XS is now OOS

A good tailor could take the jacket in if you wanted. (Mantis's coat was an XL recut to a M I believe.) I own several Billy Reid pieces and the sizing is all over the place. I have coats and shirts that range from a Medium to XL. Go figure.

And this year there is a new peacoat color added - green. I'd be happy if they brought back the chocolate brown.
  • UnbeatenAcornUnbeatenAcorn Posts: 13MI6 Agent
    jermyzy wrote:

I'd love to see picks of this, I looked back at my jacket and I have the same issue on the pocket flaps and to some extent on the collar, but I'd like to see the replacement looks. Bought mine a few months ago so not sure if I will be able to exchange, so I'd love to see a replacement.
  • StefanStefan VirginiaPosts: 568MI6 Agent
    Granted you paid a lot of the coat, so you have to be happy with it. But if you get it back and the leather collar is still too weathered, an easy fix is to put some leather conditioner on it. I have done this on a number of times on jackets to darken them but still show weathering.

An example is this Indiana Jones jacket made by Tony Nowak, you can see the difference between the treated side and the not treated side.
    image.jpg
    " Not All Who Wander Are Lost "
    edited September 2014
    A bit of a tangent, but East Dane has a few of the Billy Reid cotton peacoats on final sale for $187.50. As of this posting there were 2 smalls, at least 4 xls, and 2 xxls. I'd say fit is the same as the regular Billy Reid peacoats.

eastdane.com/bond-peacoat-billy-reid/vp/v=1/1572239207.htm
  • BLU8BLU8 Ontario, CanadaPosts: 418MI6 Agent
    For anyone looking for a deal on the Bond peacoat, the discount code FF14 will get you 20% off your order from the Billy Reid website.

http://www.billyreid.com/category/mens-1/outerwear/bond-peacoat-collection.html
  • BLU8BLU8 Ontario, CanadaPosts: 418MI6 Agent
    East Dane also has the BR Bond peacoat, and you can take 25% off when you use the discount code FAMILY25: http://www.eastdane.com/boiled-wool-peak-lapel-peacoat/vp/v=1/1513765047.htm?folderID=21685&colorId=12867
    For the female Bond fan in your life, Billy Reid has introduced the Women's Bond Peacoat.

http://www.billyreid.com/product/women-s-bond-peacoat-navy.html

No mention of leather accents, however.
  • So i just purchased the medium...
    I am 5'9 195 lbs athletic build (although could stand to lose about 10lbs)

The medium is perfect length in the sleeves and over all length....
    However I am torn because the arm holes are a little snug, its a little tight across the back and shoulders, and could stand to have an extra inch or half inch in the chest.

I can see why the medium is used for "Hero Shots" and Large is used for movement shots because the Medium looks amazing, however begins to become uncomfortable after a while.

I am wondering if the jacket will loosen up after use. Does anyone have experience with this????

I don't want to get the Large and have to tailor up the sleeves and overall length, as i am scared it will ruin the design and look, not to mention cost involved!

Any recommendations?
  • The Bond ExperienceThe Bond Experience Newtown, PAPosts: 5,490Quartermasters
    My medium did loosen up over time with continued wear....perfect now.