Bond Book of the Month

Comments

• AlphaOmegaSinAlphaOmegaSin EnglandPosts: 10,924MI6 Agent
    -{ I wish more writers were like Fleming.
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    I still think there is no greater pleasure than, finding a bit
    Of time and picking up a Fleming. Then drifting off to that
    Wonderful world. {[]
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    Whilst re-reading Solo, in one section Bond is thinking about his war years, after a Corporal is
    injured he offers Bond his gun with the words " Take it Mr Bond" , Now I was wondering
    shouldn't he have used Bond's rank as a title rather than Mr ?, as if they were friends
    wouldn't he have called him James ? it just sort of stuck out with me. :D
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • always shakenalways shaken LondonPosts: 6,287MI6 Agent
    Whilst re-reading Solo, in one section Bond is thinking about his war years, after a Corporal is
    injured he offers Bond his gun with the words " Take it Mr Bond" , Now I was wondering
    shouldn't he have used Bond's rank as a title rather than Mr ?, as if they were friends
    ,ra
    Good point TP ,the corporal would have said SIR more realisticly rather than commander ,a higher rank addressing Bond ,would have called him James ,or Commander .
    By the way, did I tell you, I was "Mad"?
    -{ I just thought the Mr Bond line sounded odd. :D
  • always shakenalways shaken LondonPosts: 6,287MI6 Agent

Agree, but then that's the difference between someone who has put some time in (in the forces)
    and someone who has not, Flemming would not have made that mistake ,as he had put his time in :)
    By the way, did I tell you, I was "Mad"?
    :D
    I remember reading long ago that R Benson made the mistake of sometimes getting the Honours
    wrong in calling some people Sir ( Last name) when it should be your first, and Lord ( First name)
    when it should be your surname. as in Sir Alan, changing to Lord Sugar. Then again they don't have
    all this trouble in America. :))
  • David SchofieldDavid Schofield EnglandPosts: 1,528MI6 Agent

Agree, but then that's the difference between someone who has put some time in (in the forces)
    and someone who has not, Flemming would not have made that mistake ,as he had put his time in :)

Nor would Ian FleMing. ;)

I bet Boyd's really annoyed there wasn't a conflict he would have been forced to fight in in his lifetime. Nor that he didn't have the physical or mental aptitude to have a career in the military to allow him "to put in his time". Man him up, eh? :s :s

Just sounds like crap reseach to me from a writer who just didn't understand his subject's environs.

-{ -{
    :)) As always David, straight to the point. {[]
    I also find the idea of Bond spying on a woman
    undressing. A little creepy. :#
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,644MI6 Agent

Interesting. Does Bond or any other character in Solo use a bazooka at all? I've yet to read it, but it's on my list! :) -{
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
    I honestly can't remember. I've only read it
    when it was published and didn't find it very
    memorable. :))
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,644MI6 Agent
    I honestly can't remember. I've only read it
    when it was published and didn't find it very
    memorable. :))

Oh, OK. I've heard it's both strange in places and not very good, doesn't really have a villain but I want to read Col. Sun again first before tackling it.
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
    I find it an odd story and IMHO not very good.
    Although I have read some reviews from AJBers
    who think it's brilliant. So each to their own. :D
    I find it an odd story and IMHO not very good.
    Although I have read some reviews from AJBers
    who think it's brilliant. So each to their own. :D

Between AJB and MI6 Community I've heard more negative things than positive things about it and the same goes for Carte Blanche and Devil May Care sadly. :#
    Oh, I'm glad to hear that, it's not just me then. :))
    Oh, I'm glad to hear that, it's not just me then. :))

No, far from it by the sound of things. It is strange though as William Boyd did seem to know his Bond. :#
    Which is odd as in interviews he always said what a fan of Fleming's books he was.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Western Mass, USAPosts: 9,061MI6 Agent
    Between AJB and MI6 Community I've heard more negative things than positive things about it and the same goes for Carte Blanche and Devil May Care sadly. :#
    Yo, SM, it go like dis:
    Fleming

Amis
    Wood

Gardner

Faulks

the rest
    Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool.
    #1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.GF 4.GE 5.DN 6.FYEO 7.FRWL 8.TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT/QOS
    I know a few who'd say you're giving Faulks too
    much credit ! :))
    IMHO the three contuining writers have all tried to
    be too clever and change Bond to what they want.
    Which would lead me to think they really never
    gave Fleming's work much respect. :# no matter
    what they've said in interviews.
    I know a few who'd say you're giving Faulks too much credit ! :))
    Well, it wasn't great, but I *DID* enjoy it quite a bit.
    I thought he had a great villain, and I too liked it, I might be one of the few
    who also enjoyed CB, hated Solo. Although I still think the writers, somehow
    thought they could do better than Fleming.
    I still think the writers, somehow
    thought they could do better than Fleming.
    On Vulcan, there is no ego to bruise.
    .... But you are Half human ! :))

I think many writers think it's so easy yo write Bond
    that they have to play around with it. :#
    I certainly think of the recent trio, they all thought they were better writers than Fleming and that dashing off a Bond would therefore be easy stuff.

And after brown-nosing Fleming's works before hand, their contempt is even more hypocritical.

I hope Horowitz, who hasn't quite had the lit and bestselling success of his immediate predecessors, spares us the fan-boy guff and works at it with the same care and enthusiasm he has with his Holmes.
    I'm hoping Horowitz , like Gardner in his early books just puts out
    A decent thriller, and not start to be " clever " with it . :#
    I think Horowitz will deliver and might even do a short series of Bond novels if this one is a success. And he has the gold standard ogf unseen Fleming work to work from that none of the others have had. I know he won't let us down and he was my choice for the next continuation Bond author so I believe in him. :) -{
    I hope you're correct. I'd love to see another regular writer
    Put out a few good stories. {[]
    On Horowitz, I wonder if he has the desire to do a series, even if he's drip-fed the Fleming ideas none of the other authors seem to have been allowed to see, or at least use/want to use.

After a career of adapting work for television, he's the man who writes the new Sherlock Holmes novels. He's becoming the new man to write a James Bond novel. He's becoming the man who writes about others' creations.

Isn't there something anti-creative for a writer there? :#
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,053Chief of Staff
    ...but there's a guaranteed audience, which is a powerful incentive.