"Just One More Thing..." - The COLUMBO Discussion Thread

Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,646MI6 Agent
edited March 2023 in Off Topic Chat
Here is a thread to discuss the TV detective inverted mystery series Columbo. Columbo ran for a total of 35 years and 69 episodes, from the first standalone episode in 1968 (Prescription: Murder) until the final 'special' episode in 2003 (Columbo Likes the Nightlife), making it the longest running TV series in history.

Here we can discuss episodes, themes, characters, Lt. Columbo himself, Peter Falk etc. Really just anything Columbo related! There are plenty of interesting James Bond connections with Columbo too, as they share a good few of the same actors.

I hope this turns into an interesting discussion thread and that there's always "Just one more thing..."
"The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).

Comments

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Agreed, many actors from Bond have guested on Columbo. -{
    I watched a documentary about some real detectives, who said
    They did use the " Columbo" technique of throwing in one last
    Question, after the suspect thinks the interview is over. :))
    Although I've also read that most of Columbo's evidence wouldn't
    Stand up in court. Still it's an entertainment show not a documentary.
    Also in my opinion most of the murderers have a certain sympathy
    About them, but the fun is in the interaction between the actors.
    Watching people slowly lose their patience with Columbo. :))
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    I like Columbo very much!

First of all, Peter Falk has gotten the role of his life - just like Connery.
    Then it's very clever how Columbo approaches the murderer in always an amicable way - "always keen to learn" which is in my opinion a very good approach to people in general.

When they slowly lose patience with him, they are prone to let the mask fall though usually much earlier Columbo has smelled what's really going on.

And the people slowly losing their patience with Columbo reminds me a lot when I am reading TPs posts here ... X-(
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
    Some of the murders were also brilliantly thought out. Along
    With some of the tricks Columbo would used to catch them.
    In The one with Dick van Dyke as a photographer at the end
    Tricked into picking a camera ( he supposedly never seen before)
    Was great fun. -{
    By the way Higgins, why do you have a row of washing machines in
    Your Signature ? Have you bought a launderette ? :))
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,646MI6 Agent
    Thanks for all of the great comments so far. Here is an interesting video that I found on You Tube about the atypical Columbo episode 'Last Salute to the Commodore':

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byOo-q5oZXQ
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
    I remember that one, it's set up so you think you know who the killer is
    Then comes the big twist. :))
    I also learned the difference between a yacht and a yawl. :))
    ( might come in handy in a quiz ;) )
  • BlackleiterBlackleiter Washington, DCPosts: 5,615MI6 Agent
    Higgins wrote:
    I like Columbo very much!

First of all, Peter Falk has gotten the role of his life - just like Connery.
    Then it's very clever how Columbo approaches the murderer in always an amicable way - "always keen to learn" which is in my opinion a very good approach to people in general.

When they slowly lose patience with him, they are prone to let the mask fall though usually much earlier Columbo has smelled what's really going on.

And the people slowly losing their patience with Columbo reminds me a lot when I am reading TPs posts here ... X-(

A classic show with an iconic portrayal by Peter Falk. I am particularly fond of the show because it's one of the few shows my wife enjoys as much as I do. Last Christmas I bought her the box set of the complete series (which includes made-for-television movies that were broadcast after the regular series ended), and we watch episodes together every now and then. It still holds up! -{
    "Felix Leiter, a brother from Langley."
    It's funny in the first pilot episode how clean cut Columbo was. :))
    He didn't get crumpled until the second pilot. ;) also I think it was
    Originally meant for a much older actor ?
    Also, not wanting to off topic but are there any views on another 70s show
    Banacek ?
    As A kid I used to be amazed at this show, always an impossible theft, which
    George Peppard would solve. Things like a train carriage going missing even
    Though the train never stopped. -{
    Later another show did something similar " Blake's magic" and on UK TV
    Jonathan Creek.
    I've searched for DVDs of Banacek but they seem to be available only for
    The American system. :#
    It ran for two series,like Columbo movie length episodes. A third was planned
    But Peppard who was getting divorced at the time didn't want to give his soon to
    Be ex wife any thing extra so wouldn't do it. :))
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,646MI6 Agent
    Also, not wanting to off topic but are there any views on another 70s show
    Banacek ?
    As A kid I used to be amazed at this show, always an impossible theft, which
    George Peppard would solve. Things like a train carriage going missing even
    Though the train never stopped. -{
    Later another show did something similar " Blake's magic" and on UK TV
    Jonathan Creek.
    I've searched for DVDs of Banacek but they seem to be available only for
    The American system. :#
    It ran for two series,like Columbo movie length episodes. A third was planned
    But Peppard who was getting divorced at the time didn't want to give his soon to
    Be ex wife any thing extra so wouldn't do it. :))

That actually sounds very interesting, TP. I think that I ma\y have heard of that show before. And there may be a solution in buying yourself a Region Free DVD/Bluy Ray PLayer. I've been thinking of investing in one for some time as a lot of films/shows like this are only available in Region 1 and not Region 2. Just a suggestion you might find useful... :) -{
  • AlphaOmegaSinAlphaOmegaSin EnglandPosts: 10,924MI6 Agent
    I prefer Kojak with our very own Telly Savalas -{
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger

I have the first season of Kojak on DVD but I've not watched it yet,. I still think that Columbo is better though, but then I'm biased. :) -{
    The fact that Columbo lasted for so many seasons, shows how good it was. I also think
    it holds (Or held) the record for being bought by more TV stations across the world. :))
    edited February 2021
    Indeed and for the record I also have all of Columbo on DVD and I'd love to do a blog review of each episode from 1 to 69 at some point. I think it would be a neat idea to do this. :) -{
    Don't forget Channel 5's love of constantly Broadcasting it :))
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
    Don't forget Channel 5's love of constantly Broadcasting it :))

Yes, in past times I used to tape them off the TV - especially around the time I was at university - I found them a great way to unwind! I believe our TP never misses an episode. :) -{
    :)) yes, If he's on, I'll be watching. -{ also oddly, I don't know
    If this is just me but........
    When watching Bond, I identify with 007 ( obviously, he does everything I would do ) :))
    But with Colombo, I identify more with the murderer. :)) can't explain that. ;)
    :)) yes, If he's on, I'll be watching. -{ also oddly, I don't know
    If this is just me but........
    When watching Bond, I identify with 007 ( obviously, he does everything I would do ) :))
    But with Colombo, I identify more with the murderer. :)) can't explain that. ;)

Yes, the inverted mystery can give lead to more sympathetic characterisation of the murderer. That psychological angle to the show is what makes it so uniquely different - with the mystery of who committed the crime being absent by its very nature there is more scope there for interesting characterisation and in a TV crime drama like Columbo that can only be a good thing. :) -{
    Yes the old chant of why do you watch it, you know who did it :))
    It's the byplay of the characters, the little slips the murder makes
    And the psychology of human interaction.
    I love all murder mystery shows, trying to figure out who did it. From
    The easy stuff like Murder she wrote or death in paradise. To the really
    Complex cases of Miss Marple or Poirot. :D and bit of boasting here
    But I'm very good :))
    Yet still I love Columbo, for the characterisation. As you point out SM
    You learn more about the killer and their reason for killing, rather than
    Ticking off clues in your head to announce " It's the Vicar, with the lead
    Pipe, in the kitchen" :))
    Also Columbo because it was so well made ( it won several emmys) they
    Got some great guest stars, several who didn't do a lot of TV shows . -{
    I know it's not everyones cup of tea, but of a Sunday afternoon, feet up
    Nice mug of tea and a few chocy bickies, it's Bliss. {[]
    ( bloody hell, I'm getting old ) :))
    MSW and DM are rather good as well -{ Even if the Latter got a bit silly near the End.
    :)) Midsomer Murders is also a favourite of mine as they tend
    To think up some very unusual deaths for the victims. :))
    From a Bride shot on her wedding day, a guy drowned in his
    Car with concrete. :)) pretend Murder can be such fun. ;)
    I'm also building up a set of techniques, should the present
    Mrs TP, displease me ! ;) :))
    This Wikipedia article on the Inverted mystery form (of which Columbo is an example, a very few exceptions to the rule aside) is very interesting and informative:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inverted_detective_story

I see that Luther is mentioned as an inverted mystery crime drama and was partly inspired by both Sherlock Holmes and Columbo. I really must rip open that boxset I bought a while back! Perhaps some members here have seen and can recommend it to me? :) -{
    The only Crime Drama's that I have really sat down and watched through are CSI:Miami and CSI:New York.
    Have you tried Brooklyn Nine-Nine ? :))

I'm with you. I love Columbo, but Kojak is the man! I own every episode on DVD, and I have such fond memories of that show. Savalas's performance, plus the fact that it took place in New York, my hometown, makes it a sentimental favorite of mine. And there's the bonus that it stars the very best of the Blofelds! :007)
    Have you tried Brooklyn Nine-Nine ? :))

Very funny show. -{

I'm with you. I love Columbo, but Kojak is the man! I own every episode on DVD, and I have such fond memories of that show. Savalas's performance, plus the fact that it took place in New York, my hometown, makes it a sentimental favorite of mine. And there's the bonus that it stars the very best of the Blofelds! :007)

I really must try to get into it more but it was repeated never on TV when I was younger whereas Columbo was so hence I love Columbo. :) -{
    {[] I love it. :)) so funny, with a fantastic cast. -{
    Watching Kojak now, it's fun to spot the young stars
    Before they became famous. ;)
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    I thought that BL was more the ' 2 broke girls ' type :D
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
    Is that the same as " two girls, one ...... " :v :))
    Back in College, my Mate somehow managed to get hold of the ICT Engineers Password and Username. He then proceeded to place Two Girls one Cup in every single Video Folder of every single Acount used by all Students, Staff, etc..

Mayhem ensued ;)

That of course, was not the end of his Shenanigans however -{