The Billy Reid Peacoat is a GO!

Comments

• RelaxasaurusRelaxasaurus Posts: 4MI6 Agent
    It's still there:

http://www.billyreid.com/mens/featured/bond-peacoat-collection.html

I think they just updated some of the urls.
    See it now, thanks!
  • oenoneoenone Posts: 4MI6 Agent
    Thanks for the prior advice all - XS was the right size for me!

The peacoat finally arrived and it is every bit as awesome as I was hoping it would be. I have just one (foolish) question:

There is an interior button on the left side of the coat that appears to fasten to the button hole on the right lapel. I was wondering

a) What is the point of this button? Is it just an extra way of securing the coat in place? Do people use this button?

b) Which side of the lapel are you supposed to fasten to the button? It appears that the button can go through either side of the lapel (ie. it can either go through the lapel while it is still 'folded', so the button is between layers of the coat, OR it can go through the lapel after 'unfolding' the lapel, so the button is between the inner part of the coat and whatever you have on underneath the jacket) without any difference in appearance, just wondering if there is a 'correct' way. Let me know if this is confusingly worded!

Thanks!
    edited December 2014
    I went to the Billy Reid store in Noho, Manhattan and tried on Small and Extra Small in Navy. They didn't have black but the Navy was really dark. I'm a 38S for suits and although both generally fit, the XS was the move to make. The form fitting just makes this jacket stand out. I tried it on over a flannel button down + sweater on top and although it was snug it looked amazing.

I work in Soho and went to a bevy of stores before choosing this one:

[list=*]
    [*]The Banana Republic peacoat with peak lapels was on sale for $150 (from $250) and although this is arguably the best bang per buck (35% poly and all), and inner lining is above average for a BR coat, the fit and finish simply comes no where near the Billy Reid.[/*]
    [*]The J.Crew peacoat was good quality and fit better than the Banana, as is to be expected, but was longer than any other listed here which made me look shorter. It also didn't form fit as well as the Billy Reid.[/*]
    [*]The $330 peacoat at Club Monaco is made well with nice wool and stitching but the fit made it look like a dress on me. I was about to pull the trigger on this due to a 30% sale, but the amount of tailoring required to get what I was looking for would be too much.[/*]
    [*]Hugo Boss $645 Camio peacoat was the only one I tried on that was comparable one to the Billy Reid. No leather accents though, and popping the collar of the Hugo peacoat just wasn't as good looking as the Bond. Great material and really great fit at just the right length, especially if you're on the short side like me. Can't really lose with this jacket but the Bond peacoat edges it out imo.[/*]
    [/list]

I only have two concerns with the Bond peacoat: it doesn't have interior lining, not a deal breaker but this classes up any jacket and makes it even warmer. Who knows- maybe the lack of a liner allows this jacket to be more form fitting without looking bulky.

Also, a salesman in the store was wearing his Bond peacoat that he purchased 3 years ago. We both had Navy but the shade on his was noticeably faded. Also the wool material was fraying at the bottom edges of the jacket. The same guy also told me his was 100% wool and this is why they stared mixing in 80% wool and 20% nylon, to prevent the fraying and help maintain the shape. If this truly works then I'll take it. Same guy also says the jacket's fabric will expand overtime which is fine with me since the XS was fairly snug on my frame.

All said and done I ordered the Reid peacoat in Navy w/the 20% HOLIDAY coupon and had it shipped to a friend in Jersey to save on taxes for $556 total. {[]

Note: If you're in Manhattan, Carlson Street Clothiers in Soho carries this jacket and currently has it for $416 online so if you find your size there hopefully they'd price match. As of today they only had a Medium and Large, and the salesmen had no idea when or if they'd get more in.
  • Westward_DriftWestward_Drift Posts: 3,085MI6 Agent
    Carlson Street Clothiers website says sold out of all sizes.
    Carlson Street Clothiers website says sold out of all sizes.
    Yea it's been that way for weeks now, a sign they may not carry more :( Just mentioned it in case you wanted to try your hand at price-matching at the brick & mortar store.
  • oenoneoenone Posts: 4MI6 Agent
    oenone wrote:

The peacoat finally arrived and it is every bit as awesome as I was hoping it would be. I have just one (foolish) question:

There is an interior button on the left side of the coat that appears to fasten to the button hole on the right lapel. I was wondering

a) What is the point of this button? Is it just an extra way of securing the coat in place? Do people use this button?

b) Which side of the lapel are you supposed to fasten to the button? It appears that the button can go through either side of the lapel (ie. it can either go through the lapel while it is still 'folded', so the button is between layers of the coat, OR it can go through the lapel after 'unfolding' the lapel, so the button is between the inner part of the coat and whatever you have on underneath the jacket) without any difference in appearance, just wondering if there is a 'correct' way. Let me know if this is confusingly worded!

Thanks!

Anyone got the answer to this? It's bugging me!
  • Westward_DriftWestward_Drift Posts: 3,085MI6 Agent
    Yes, the button is just an extra way of fastening the coat to help it keep its shape. I didn't always fasten it with the wool peacoat but I do with my cotton ones.
  • 7700777007 Posts: 502MI6 Agent
    I always fastened the inside button. And flat. .Usually only use one button in the middle on the outside.

Like this:

skyfall5-main1.jpg
  • kaddkadd Posts: 917MI6 Agent
    oenone wrote:

Thanks!

Yes people use it and you're exactly right, it is a way of securing the coat - so that it keeps its shape

You secure the button with the inner lapel "unfolded"
  • BLU8BLU8 Ontario, CanadaPosts: 418MI6 Agent
    I know it's not exactly peacoat season, but using the promo code SHOPSALE will get you 25% off a purchase of $250 or more from Billy Reid. The code is good through Sunday May 17th.
  • BLU8BLU8 Ontario, CanadaPosts: 418MI6 Agent
    It looks like Christian Grey is stealing some of 007's style for the 50 Shades of Grey sequel:

http://www.justjared.com/2016/03/01/jamie-dornan-dakota-johnson-kiss-on-fifty-shades-darker-set-photos/

The distinctive brown leather trim under the collar immediately caught my eye. It looks like he's wearing the "dark navy" 100% wool version of the coat: https://www.billyreid.com/products/bond-peacoat-dark-navy
  • The Bond ExperienceThe Bond Experience Newtown, PAPosts: 5,490Quartermasters
    Nice spot!

BLU8 wrote:
    It looks like Christian Grey is stealing some of 007's style for the 50 Shades of Grey sequel:

http://www.justjared.com/2016/03/01/jamie-dornan-dakota-johnson-kiss-on-fifty-shades-darker-set-photos/

The distinctive brown leather trim under the collar immediately caught my eye. It looks like he's wearing the "dark navy" 100% wool version of the coat: https://www.billyreid.com/products/bond-peacoat-dark-navy
  • DB6DB6 EnglandPosts: 1,196MI6 Agent
    They're making a sequel? Planning on sweeping the Razzes again then.......
    My name has changed! I’m no longer dufus......now I’m DB6
  • welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,292MI6 Agent
    Same actors????

Even my mrs turned it off halfway so it must be bad :)
    Instagram - bondclothes007
  • LuisbarLuisbar Posts: 6MI6 Agent
    My Billy Reid pacoat in S

cuatro.jpg

para-web.jpg
  • walther p99walther p99 NJPosts: 3,416MI6 Agent
    Looks great!
    Awesome looking...great pairing of clothes with it too!
  • LuisbarLuisbar Posts: 6MI6 Agent
    Thanks!

Back
    angulos.jpg
  • Law007316Law007316 Posts: 41MI6 Agent
    Anyone know when the next friends and family event will be for Billy Reid or if any current coupon codes are working? Thanks in advance!
  • Secret SquirrelSecret Squirrel Posts: 28MI6 Agent
    I didn't want to start a new post topic as this is the go to for BR Bond sizing. With the a current sale, I decided I'm going to finally take a chance with the real coat. Previously, I'd ordered the Royale Filmwear coat in Large but didn't like the fit in the shoulders. Does anyone have both the BR and RF to compare fit? My measurements: 5' 10", 185 lbs, 35" waist taped (31" in American pants vanity sizing), 41" chest taped, 19" shoulders, 15.5 neck 32/33 sleeve for dress shirts, and 42R for suit size. By the BR chart on the 1st page, I should be a size XL. Almost all of my tops in my wardrobe are Medium but I am bulking up to L with the intention of weighing 200 eventually. Any sizing advice would be greatly appreciated, I know this is an old topic.
  • CajunCajun Posts: 481MI6 Agent
    edited March 2017
    I didn't want to start a new post topic as this is the go to for BR Bond sizing. With the a current sale, I decided I'm going to finally take a chance with the real coat. Previously, I'd ordered the Royale Filmwear coat in Large but didn't like the fit in the shoulders. Does anyone have both the BR and RF to compare fit? My measurements: 5' 10", 185 lbs, 35" waist taped (31" in American pants vanity sizing), 41" chest taped, 19" shoulders, 15.5 neck 32/33 sleeve for dress shirts, and 42R for suit size. By the BR chart on the 1st page, I should be a size XL. Almost all of my tops in my wardrobe are Medium but I am bulking up to L with the intention of weighing 200 eventually. Any sizing advice would be greatly appreciated, I know this is an old topic.
    I went from a RF to BR peacoat as well. I wear a 42R suit, 16/33 shirt, 41.5" taped chest, and initially purchased a Medium BR. Promptly exchanged it for a Large. The Large still looks tailored because it's a slim fit to begin with. You'll probably eventually need an XL if your goal is 200. The key to the BR is the shoulder fit IMO. You need to find the right balance between an acceptable range of motion and not having the coat's shoulders create "wings" beyond your own shoulders.
    I edit, therefore I am.
    edited March 2017
    Cajun wrote:
    I went from a RF to BR peacoat as well. I wear a 42R suit, 16/33 shirt, 41.5" taped chest, and initially purchased a Medium BR. Promptly exchanged it for a Large. The Large still looks tailored because it's a slim fit to begin with. You'll probably eventually need an XL if your goal is 200. The key to the BR is the shoulder fit IMO. You need to find the right balance between an acceptable range of motion and not having the coat's shoulders create "wings" beyond your own shoulders.

Thanks for the quick and thorough response! I decided to go with the XL after Billy Reid customer service confirmed that XL was my correct size. The most important thing is that the shoulders not be to small and the rest will likely need a good amount of tailoring. Besides, if it's a little big that leaves rooms for gains at the gym!
    Law007316 wrote:
    Anyone know when the next friends and family event will be for Billy Reid or if any current coupon codes are working? Thanks in advance!

If last year was an indicator, The Family and Friends even seems to run in late October/early November before the Black Friday sale. If I remember correctly, it's for 20% off and Black Friday is 25% off. Right now the Bond coat in Navy is on sale for 40% off at Nordstrom:

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/billy-reid-bond-wool-blend-peacoat/4621764?origin=keywordsearch-personalizedsort&fashioncolor=NAVY

Cheers,

Secret Squirrel
    A revisiting of SkyFall...We discuss props, lifestyle items, and an "in field test" thanks to the good people at Billy Reid...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MWHCBsL754
    skyfall_vlog_final.jpg
  • ukbondfanukbondfan Posts: 2MI6 Agent
    Hi Everyone,
    I am about to push the button and order a black BR peacoat, I live in the UK.
    My dimensions are 5ft 9", 190lbs, 42" chest, 32" waist.
    I am athletic and workout a lot, mostly boxing and circuit training.
    I dont know whether to order the medium or the large.
    Can anyone give me a recommendation on what size to order please?
    Thanks in advance!
  • MikeG77MikeG77 Posts: 1,770MI6 Agent
    I would suggest you go with a large but you should also take into consideration your shoulder width as the jacket is a trim fit. Here are the shoulder measurements...

Medium 17.75 inches
    Large 19.25 inches
    X-Large 20.75 inches

I hope this info helps you out.

Mike
    I know where you keep your gun!
  • ukbondfanukbondfan Posts: 2MI6 Agent
    MikeG77 wrote:
    I would suggest you go with a large but you should also take into consideration your shoulder width as the jacket is a trim fit. Here are the shoulder measurements...

Medium 17.75 inches
    Large 19.25 inches
    X-Large 20.75 inches

I hope this info helps you out.

Mike

Thanks for your prompt response Mike, never really measured my shoulders before so will get the Mrs to take my measurements later.
    I would go with a Medium...sorry to sound contrary to the above suggestion. These fit bigger and I am in a small now (size 40 with a 31 inch waist....) I think large wont give you that fitted look.
  • MikeG77MikeG77 Posts: 1,770MI6 Agent
    I wanted to give you an update on the shoulder measurements per the Billy Reid site.

Medium is actually 17.50 inches, Large is 19 inches.

Mantis is right if you want a trim fit then you should go for a Medium. Which ever way you go let us know how it works out!
    I know where you keep your gun!
  • HalfMonk HalfHitmanHalfMonk HalfHitman USAPosts: 2,324MI6 Agent
    Can anyone who's ordered this recently weigh in on how accurate the details are to the original run? I've got from 2012 but I've lost some weight and I need to size down...