Heeeelp Pleeease!

Comments

• Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,644MI6 Agent
    stag wrote:
    that sky looks good. I will do sky/swastika moon but what about putting crosshairs over the swastika to symbolise the main characters mission to destroy?

Yes, that was my suggestion. I think that would look rather good. :) -{
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • stagstag Posts: 2,083MI6 Agent
    What about something like this?

cover_design_v4_Copy.jpg

It's not finished, just the basis of an idea, not sure about the 'moonlight' effect but it is in keeping with the main characters role & suggests stealth under cover of darkness. Perhaps the castle in the background? or a German officer with crosshairs? Lose the swastika.There's also an interesting chase scene incorporting a Storch spotter plane, perhaps incorporate that instead?
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,702MI6 Agent
    You might be on to something. Perhaps a more period siloutte for the agent (hat, perhaps?), no beams from the moon, the castle in the background and the Storch above sounds good. The WWII plane and the hat suggests the time period and the castle reminds me of Where Eagles Dare and stories like that.
  • AlphaOmegaSinAlphaOmegaSin EnglandPosts: 10,924MI6 Agent
    Interesting Design :)
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
  • Will OnceWill Once Surrey, EnglandPosts: 24MI6 Agent
    I use fiverr for my book covers and in particular a company called pixelstudio. Here's a blog I wrote about it recently:

https://willonce.wordpress.com/2015/04/29/cover-me-im-going-in/

The basic deal with fiverr is $5 for a book cover and another $5 if you want the photoshop file. If you want them to provide a royalty free photo, that's another $5. I generally give a $5 coffee tip.

Some companies are good, some ... less so. I've been happy with pixelstudio.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    {[] Great infomation Will Once. -{
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Will OnceWill Once Surrey, EnglandPosts: 24MI6 Agent
    Will, please. Call me Will. Only the tax man calls me Mr Once.
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,239MI6 Agent
    edited June 2015
    Main problem with the first effort is that 'ungentlemanly' is obv tracked ie squeezed to fit in the space. Can't think of a solution really, it's a long word.

Swatikas appeal to loads of readers though, or did, that's why so many books had them on the cover, it didn't imply the reader was a closet Nazi. Still, that might date back to the 70s, when a more heroic slant of WW2 was depicted, rather than the Schindler's List /The Piano underlining of the Holocaust that we got later. Now it does seem quite iffy.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    It's only the postman who always calls twice ;) no problem
    Will, it will be. {[]
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    Your opinions please:

cover_design_final_one.jpg

I had begun another one this morning. I too had seen the need for a hat, this is just a rough draft though

0a2.jpg
    I like the first one, best. -{
    Thanks. I have another in mind. Essentially a desktop with a map of the operational area, a file, pistol & a few odds & sods. Maybe instead of the desktop, the map spread out with items on them.
    I agree, the first cover suggestion in your latest post is by far our best. The font may be too .... mundane. You should show more of the castle like you did earlier, remove the sentry and the beams from the moon. Instead I would like to see the shadow of the swastika on the moon. The use of the colour blue works fairly well. The plane and the foreground figure are both fine.
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,644MI6 Agent
    I like both of them, but the first one has more detail. I do realise that the second one isn't finished yet too. :) -{
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
    Thanks for the comments thus far. I wanted a period feel to the cover given the time in which it is set. I am going to do another different cover then put it to the vote.

Watch this space!
    BTW I did put the castle in as one of the other drafts but it looked too fussy. Re the 'moon' It actually represents a flare/searchlight.
    I see, a searchlight makes sense.
    Perhaps a font like Solemnity would work better than the font you are using now?
    Brilliant so far -{
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
    Number24 wrote:
    I see, a searchlight makes sense.
    Perhaps a font like Solemnity would work better than the font you are using now?

Could you give examples of the type of fonts you mean.
    Google 'Solemnity + font' :)
    Okay this is a rought first draft of another idea for a cover. It needs more work but as a concept, an alternative to my other ideas, what do you all think?

an_ungentlemanly_act_1_draft.jpg

I've tried to make it have a period feel.
    It reminds me of the 'Still Life' Cover arts for the Fleming Novels -{
  • MrZarebaMrZareba Krakow, PolandPosts: 1,775MI6 Agent
    I can help you out but in July, currently I'm in the middle of my finals but since I do pro bono from time to time - why not. ;)
    MrZareba wrote:
    I can help you out but in July, currently I'm in the middle of my finals but since I do pro bono from time to time - why not. ;)

Wow! Thank you! There's no rush as I haven't finished the book yet. I've seen a bit of your work here & am impressed. Perhaps my ham fisted attempts may give you an idea of what I'm looking for in a cover.

I can PM you details if you wish when you have more time.
  • Charmed & DangerousCharmed & Dangerous Posts: 7,358MI6 Agent
    It looks good, Stag -{ - it reminds me of some of the Fleming Pan-edition covers:

image.jpg

image.jpg
    "How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."
    Your latest cover looks good :007)
    I still prefer the blue cover with the castle in the background. :)
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,239MI6 Agent
    I can't get around the length of the word ungentlemanly.

How about the thing where you do something like

A
    Ungentlemanly
    c
    t

But I can't say that looks great either
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    Will this be for free on Amazon?
    Thanks for vall the comments. I would really like your further input as this cover is important for the book.

I wanted to do a map of the area as the full background but I couldn't resize the image, I'll try again with that. I also want the 'period' feel.

No the book won't be free. I expect it will be for sale for a couple of quid or so & I am confident that those who choose to purchase will find it is money well spent. Writing is my hobby so I'm not expecting to strike it big with this project.