Heeeelp Pleeease!

Comments

• stagstag Posts: 2,083MI6 Agent
    BTW I really do appreciate everyones input thus far. Thank you all.
  • JCRendleJCRendle Posts: 60MI6 Agent
    I can write anything you like, obviously I haven't read the book so had to write something off the top of my head. PM me with a brief synopsis / blurb if you like and I'll try and work it in.
    I like the three liner but would like to ask other contributors if they could come up with a snappy middle line bearing in mind the following.

Harry Flynn is employed by an above top secret & controversial arm of the wartime British intelligence & security services - it is so secret in fact that no one beyond those immediately involved with it are aware of it's existence. This department is charged with mounting offensive operations at the request of the traditional intelligence agencies where they are otherwise unable to do so. The 'ungentlemanly' manner of the departments missions is the basis of the title. Given his background (which must remain secret for now) Flynn is ideal for the task of bringing 'death & destruction' to the axis powers & those who support them
    What year is this set?
  • Lady RoseLady Rose London,UKPosts: 2,667MI6 Agent
    JC love both of those designs !!!

Stag, I like the second one with the gun
    Lady Rose wrote:
    JC love both of those designs !!!

Stag, I like the second one with the gun
    It's one design, it's a folded out cover the blue is the back cover, then the spine and finally the front cover :)
    What about

Meet Harry Flynn
    An ungentlemanly agent
    An Ungentlemanly Act.

??????
    Sounds good. I've been thinking and come up with:-
    ---
    "I admit that I am a spy, and that it is considered a discreditable station -- though it must be filled by somebody" Charles Dickens (A Tale of Two Cities)

You've read tales of Gentleman spy's, hired straight out of Oxford and Cambridge help win the War for Britain and the Allies. Now learn of the dark side of the profession. The side that never officially existed. Meet Harry Flynn. An ungentlemanly agent tasked with an ungentlemanly act.
    ---

It's a bit longer, but novel blurbs are usually a bit wordy to reel you in.
  • Charmed & DangerousCharmed & Dangerous Posts: 7,358MI6 Agent
    Nice covers, all. And really interested to read the book, stag. -{
    "How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."
    JCRendle wrote:
    Sounds good. I've been thinking and come up with:-
    ---
    "I admit that I am a spy, and that it is considered a discreditable station -- though it must be filled by somebody" Charles Dickens (A Tale of Two Cities)

You've read tales of Gentleman spy's, hired straight out of Oxford and Cambridge help win the War for Britain and the Allies. Now learn of the dark side of the profession. The side that never officially existed. Meet Harry Flynn. An ungentlemanly agent tasked with an ungentlemanly act.
    ---

It's a bit longer, but novel blurbs are usually a bit wordy to reel you in.

I'll rework this.
    Nice covers, all. And really interested to read the book, stag. -{

Thank you. The first draft is finished. I intend to leave it for a week or so before starting the rewrite in order that I have a 'fresh eye'. I can then tweak & tidy as required to bring it up to a standard which I will feel happy with.

I've already got the plot for the second one!
  • AlphaOmegaSinAlphaOmegaSin EnglandPosts: 10,924MI6 Agent
    Maybe someone will want to film your Creation one Day :))
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,644MI6 Agent
    Good luck stag. We're all gunning for you! :) -{
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,292MI6 Agent
    Nice thread to read showing all the great support from AJB members!!!

I look forward to buying and reading the book!! When you sell the movie rights I might have to do a Lazenby to get the lead role!!!

Some nice art designs, I'm not an arty person (C in GCSEs :)) ) but that last cover is very nice and hints of the Bond artwork from the past -{
    Instagram - bondclothes007
    I wish you Luck with the Publication :)
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
    Thanks for all the input everyone. The project will be published via amazon as an ebook. Writing is my hobby so I'm not really looking to make a fortune out of it.

Welshboy with regard to your post I shall let you all into a very big secret. Harry Flynn is based (looks wise only) upon the young George Lazenby!

Again looks wise His departmental chief is based upon:

jamro_500x500.jpg

J_Superintendent_Parker_retired_detective_21c.jpg
    & the Chief of Staff:

So If any of you read the finished work when it is published you hopefully will be able to pick up on this during my description of Flynn.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    :)) James Robertson Justice, just looks like a commanding officer. :D
    I always love him and Robert Morley, as Possible M, Morley was superb
    As Antony Hopkins boss in " When eight bells toll "
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    The photograph of the CoS is of Cecil Parker, not Robert Morley but now you have mentioned him I may will find a 'part' for him in the next book!
    I Thought I'd post an extract from the first draft. As mentioned the book will now be subject to a rewrite to polish & hone it:

Flynn has been captured by an Abwehr special action group & has been undergoing interrogation. We join the action at a point where he is being taken for another round of questioning. Please forgive the fact that I have starred out a couple of things including the name of the lead baddie, it's just that I don't want to reveal some things at this point.

Exactly thirty minutes after he had last spoken with ****, Flynn was dragged from his bed & roughly manhandled down a long poorly lit & windowless corridor. The two men, whom he hadn't seen before, were both as big as he & had him by each arm as they frogmarched him swiftly along. It was hurting even when Flynn breathed so being manhandled in this fashion was nothing short of pure agony. His feet, horribly bruised & swollen, could not support his weight & his only alternative was to leave them dragging across the stone floor. The men right turned him through an open doorway & into another room. This, like the others, was cold & damp & lit harshly by a couple of naked lightbulbs. Towards the back wall was a desk behind which was sitting ****. He was smoking a cheroot & watched without emotion as Flynn was dumped into the chair opposite. Efficiently & without speaking the men handcuffed Flynns arms to the cross members on the underside of the seat, then bound his shins to the legs with thick leather straps before withdrawing. **** regarded Flynn for what seemed like an age. “You will please forgive the shackles” He began. “but you have proved yourself a very dangerous man. Even in the condition in which you now find yourself I feel it is best not to allow you any further opportunity for violence.” Another long pause followed as **** drew deeply on the cheroot. He continued to fix his stare on Flynn & Flynn reciprocated. Eventually **** Stubbed out the cheroot into a small nickel plated ashtray which sat on the right hand corner of the desk. “Well I do hope as a result of our last conversation that we understand each other better. As you are now aware I do know almost everything about you. I know you are a British agent, I know you have been in conference with the ** **** **** &, critically, I know you are in part responsible for the death of one of our own men. As you see I have the big picture, all I need from you is to fill in the detail.” Flynns stomach was knotted tightly in fear of what was soon to come & he girded himself before spitting an obscenity at ****. There was no reaction from the German, it was if Flynn had screamed but no sound had left his mouth. “There is no doubt that you are a brave man” **** said softly. “but sadly it would seem you have been overtaken by stupidity. I thought that your identification by our informant would have loosened your tongue. You know I will make you talk so simply speak now & you will be spared much pain.” Flynn remained silent as he anticipated **** next move. To his rear Flynn could hear the shuffle of feet. Slowly & seemingly unconcerned **** drew another cheroot from the silver case on the desk top & lit it with the lighter Flynn now recognised as his own. The chair scraped loudly against the stone floor as **** stood up & walked around the desk to sit on its corner to Flynns left side. Flynn saw him look up & nod to the owner of the shuffling boots. Suddenly a pair of strong hands clamped his head tightly & pulled it back, offering it to ****. Flynn tried to struggle but was unable to. He was panting hard as he saw **** take a final pull on the cheroot before leaning forward. Flynn screamed a primeval scream & struggled desperately yet in vain as the red hot tip of the cheroot made contact with his left eyelid. **** held the cheroot in place for a couple of agonising seconds before lifting & pressing it down at another point of the lid. Sitting back **** calmly drew on the cheroot as he studied the results of his action. Flynn slumped in the chair but the hands held onto his head so it continued to face his tormentor. Flynns good eye, his right eye, opened just enough to see the expression of the man who had just visited this indescribable pain upon him. **** looked relaxed, his eyes hard, the beginnings of a thin smile playing about his lips. “Your eye is in bad shape.” **** said quietly. “It is very swollen. I think you may be in danger of losing your sight. Please, listen very carefully & answer my questions then I promise I will get you medical attention.” There followed another long pause to allow Flynn to digest his words before **** began. “Tell me about your mission. Why were you sent here? What were you doing with the terrorists?” Flynn groaned in reply. “Tell me.” The red hot poker tip of the cheroot was stabbed back onto his eyelid before Flynn knew it was coming. He screamed. **** held it longer than before, pressing harder & then jabbing it at other points. “You are a fool!” He snapped as he returned to his position on the desk. **** barked something in German to an unseen accomplice but by now Flynn was hovering too far over the precipice of unconsciousness to understand. It may have been seconds or it may have been minutes later, Flynn couldn't tell, but a mirror was handed to ****. “Take a look at yourself.” He said with mock concern. “See how badly you have been injured.” Flynns good eye slowly focused on the mirror as it was held to his face. One thing was for sure **** wasn't exaggerating, for all intent & purpose Flynn looked like he had completed sixteen rounds against the world heavyweight boxing champion. There was a deep open gash on his left temple, perhaps as a result of being caught by a ring during his fight with the guards. Although that wound had stemmed itself the flow of blood from it, now baked dry, went down the side of his face & onto his neck. His left eye looked as bad as it felt. Heavily swollen, it & the surrounding tissue were every colour of bruise imaginable. On the lid he could clearly see the fresh vivid red welts where the cheroot had been applied. His nose had been bleeding at some point though the flow had also been stemmed. It was then he realised he couldn't breath through it. His right cheek was swollen & painful as was his bottom lip. He indeed looked in a very sorry state of repair but he concluded that much of the damage was little more than cosmetic. Even his eye, whilst appearing severely damaged, was not in danger of irreversible harm. The question was, how much more punishment did he feel it necessary to take before he broke into his deep cover story?

“Tell me what I want to know.” **** said flatly. Flynn cursed. Suddenly there was the crack of shattered glass as the mirror was brought down hard across the top of his head. At the same instant he found the chair being toppled backwards, sending it & him crashing to the floor. From nowhere a gaggle of men appeared about him, all armed with short lengths of rubber hose. As one they began to rain blows down about his legs, striking hard at his shins & thighs. Flynn screamed in agony, turning his head just far enough to see **** standing aside & apparently savouring the beating. When he had seen enough **** shouted an order, The barrage of blows stopped & the men broke, unshackling Flynn from his bonds. In one move he was pulled up & across the desk. A man on each arm, pinning him face down onto the desk top while others bound his ankles with rope. This was a well practised routine & in no time they had Flynn at **** mercy. “Why were you sent here & what were you doing with the ** **** ****?!” **** barked, his voice hoarse & high pitched. Flynn knew, that whatever punishment he was to face, he could not give up yet. THWACK! The rubber hose struck him hard across the buttocks. Flynn cried out in agony. Again, again & thrice more the hose landed. “TELL ME!” **** screamed, he had stepped aside far enough to come into Flynns eyeline & he could now see that it was **** himself who was administering the beating. The hose struck once more, after which Flynn lost count, he was being struck as hard as **** was able & he was working his way systematically up & down the back of Flynns legs............
    I'm still toying with the back cover blurb, it's proving trickier than I expected......
  • LexiLexi LondonPosts: 3,000MI6 Agent
    stag wrote:
    I'm still toying with the back cover blurb, it's proving trickier than I expected......

Perhaps you should have taken up the offer of help instead of completely ignoring it :) ;)
    She's worth whatever chaos she brings to the table and you know it. ~ Mark Anthony
    Just stick a hunky photo on the back and a bit about how
    You enjoy scuba diving and treasure hunting...... It works
    for Clive Cussler. ;) :D
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,703MI6 Agent
    I think excepting help from Lexi would be the obvious thing to do,
    Just stick a Picture of yourself on the Back in deep Thought :))
    tumblr_nrao95ZtNS1rv0z1no1_1280.jpg
    tumblr_nrawknAVI51rv0z1no1_1280.jpg
    Good Work {[]

A lot of Effort has clearly been put into the whole Project.
    Agreed, looks fantastic, with much work and effort obviously put into it. {[]
    I've just arrived home after a little break. I'm in a rush at the moment but will reply in detail later today.

In the meantime thanks everyone! If 'An Ungentlemanly Act' only sells half a dozen copies on Amazon then I'll be happy!