Ranking the Connery Films

Comments

• Absolutely_CartAbsolutely_Cart NJ/NYC, United StatesPosts: 1,740MI6 Agent
    TB came first, was more influential, and YOLT's plot was derived from it.

But simply put, YOLT was much more fun.
  • DutchfingerDutchfinger Holland With LovePosts: 1,240MI6 Agent

Agreed on this whole thing.

And yeah TB was massively influential! Keep in mind that it was the most financially succesful Bond movie (inflation adjusted) up untill Skyfall was released. And I think that has to do with it's predecessor Goldfinger.
    And in a way I feel as though SPECTRE could be just that. It's predecessor was so massively succesful, audiences will want to see SPECTRE, and thus it could top it's succes because of that.
    Better known as DutchBondFan on YouTube. My 007 movie reviews: Recapping 007
    YouTube channel Support my channel on Patreon Twitter Facebook fanpage
  • Agent PurpleAgent Purple Posts: 857MI6 Agent

TB's plot was about SPECTRE holding NATO hostage through stolen nuclear missiles.

YOLT's plot was about Blofeld heating up the Cold War by capturing US and USSR satellites.

But yeah, I agree YOLT is more fun to watch.
    "Hostile takeovers. Shall we?"
    New 2020 ranking (for now DAF and FYEO keep their previous placements)
    1. TLD 2. TND 3. GF 4. TSWLM 5. TWINE 6. OHMSS 7. LtK 8. TMWTGG 9. L&LD 10. YOLT 11. DAD 12. QoS 13. DN 14. GE 15. SF 16. OP 17. MR 18. AVTAK 19. TB 20. FRWL 21. CR 22. FYEO 23. DAF (SP to be included later)
    Bond actors to be re-ranked later
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent

YOLT's plot was derived from the Bond formula established in GF and had fewer similarities with TB. Roald Dahl would have written the same story whether or not TB was made.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
  • Bondage007Bondage007 AustraliaPosts: 371MI6 Agent
    However, the reason I prefer it to DAF is because DAF is pretty much a headache for me to sit through. I don't want to watch it again for at least a year.

It's got to be the worst quality Bond film...Barry's score makes it much more enjoyable than it should be. Plus the dialogue is totally not Bondian (walking my rat?) but is pretty funny.
    2019 Bondathon...in progress (6) FRWL (7) GE (8) FYEO (9) TND (10) MR (11) GF (12) LALD (13) DAF (14) LTK (15) TMWTGG (16) TB (17) TSWLM (18) DAD (19) AVTAK (20) YOLT (21) QOS (22) SF (23) TWINE (24) SP
    To each their own B007, we all like what we like.

How pumped are you for SP?
    1. TLD 2. TND 3. GF 4. TSWLM 5. TWINE 6. OHMSS 7. LtK 8. TMWTGG 9. L&LD 10. YOLT 11. DAD 12. QoS 13. DN 14. GE 15. SF 16. OP 17. MR 18. AVTAK 19. TB 20. FRWL 21. CR 22. FYEO 23. DAF (SP to be included later)
  • Mr SnowMr Snow Station "J" JamaicaPosts: 1,736MI6 Agent
    6. DAF – Was OK at best but easily my worst Connery Bond film. Not a lot of highlights or lowlights, just a film. Charles Gray cast as Blofeld after being Henderson in YOLT – give me a break. This was the film I felt Connery looked like he was going through the motions. On the positive side, the soundtrack was excellent.

5. YOLT – Not bad but the book I definitely enjoyed much more (albeit sad). Little Nellie put together out of a few suitcases; – that was like a filler on a good music album and unnecessary. The fight scene on the rooftop left a lot to be desired; most of those punches missed by about 3 feet. Ling, Kissy and Aki were all lovely but as agents? Lady Snowblood would have been a better ally; in saying that James Bond might not have been called upon had she been there ;% Tiger Tanaka I thought was very good and the soundtrack is fantastic.

4. GF – This is the one that dragged on for me. The whole Fort Knox scenario was ridiculous, Pussy Galore and Bond I felt never really had a connection; a trip in a haystack - well if that's all it takes 8-) However, the card game (Gin Rummy) was a lot of fun, as was Jill Masterson (simply stunning) :) and the golf game I really enjoyed. Oddjob was a brilliant henchman (maybe the best ever), and the film did have the best one liner when Bond was up against the laser beam. The Aston Martin speaks for itself.

3. FRWL – Very hard to split this from DN and TB as my No. 1 Bond (Connery) movie but no good sitting on a fence. The plot and dialogue were excellent, Kerim Bey was a very efficient, capable and confident equivalent as ‘M’, Red Grant was a good villain, Rosa Klebb (Lotte Lenya - who was married 3 times :o) still scares me and Tatiana Romanova is gorgeous. I didn’t like Bond giving her (Tatiana) a smack across the face though. I can't blame her for being quiet at the dinner table :(

2. DN – The only negative from this movie is the soundtrack, apart from ‘Kingston Calypso’ and ‘Under the Mango Tree’ which I both really love and had the ending been more like the book I think it would have been better. Joseph Wiseman was brilliant as Dr. No. The plot was good, the scenery excellent, Connery was very good in his first portrayal of Bond but in my opinion got better in the next 3 films, Jack Lord as Felix Leiter played the part perfectly, Quarrel was a good ally, Sylvia Trench playing baccarat, Sylvia Trench playing golf (if you could call it that) in a business shirt :) , Miss Taro, Honey Rider (she is as gorgeous as a Bond girl as there has ever been), Bernard lee as M, Lois Maxwell as Miss Moneypenny and of course the first time you hear; Bond, James Bond.

1. TB – I only have two negatives about this film and they are as many have touched on, is the underwater battle drags on (in saying that all the underwater scenes were brilliant) and the ending was all over the shop (choreography if you like) and was also too long. For mine the positives far outweigh the negatives and the dialogue, plot, idyllic locations, villains, (except Vargas who wouldn’t scare Justin Bieber), best ensemble of ‘Bond Girls; Fiona (albeit on the evil side), Domino ( best Bond girl ever in my opinion), Patricia, Paula), Vulcan Bomber, Aston Martin, Ford Mustang, Rik Van Nutter as Felix and the soundtrack (I would rate as the best of all the Bond soundtracks; not just the John Barry scores but of all the Bond soundtracks), so this is not only my No. 1 Connery Bond film, but my No. 1 Bond film so far.
    "Everyone knows rock n' roll attained perfection in 1974; It's a scientific fact". - Homer J Simpson
  • AndyLGRAndyLGR Posts: 6MI6 Agent
    My Connery Bond rankings is as follows:

1. FRWL - This is my favourite Bond film out of the whole series. To me it's defines Cold War espionage films. The locations are gorgeous, the score is great, the supporting cast are perfect and the story is quite faithful to the source material. I really like how they build the story with no actual Bond for nearly 20 minutes, that shows confidence. The opening gun sight and theme plus Connerys performance are defining for the Bond character. Kerim is a good foil, Tatiana is stunning and Grant is one of the best villains and it builds the shadiness of SPECTRE perfectly. The settings and scenes in Istanbul are beautiful whilst the train scenes are still some of the best in the franchise.

2. TB - This story, locations and score are favourites of mine. The SPECTRE briefing room scene is iconic, (even paid homage to in SP), and the amazing underwater scenes still stand up today. This is close to being perfect for me.

3. GF - There are so many iconic scenes and characters in this film, Connery is also on form, but the reason I don't rank it higher is purely because of the story. I don't think it's as good as my 1 and 2. Bond seems to be too easily captured and I don't think it has the sweep in terms of locales as some of the others. But the aforementioned characters and scenes make this film a classic.

4. DN - I can't put my finger on it but I always feel this one is slightly divorced from the other 4 in Connerys first run as Bond. The Bond girls are beautiful, the villain is iconic, Connery is effortlessly Bond and in particular I love the ruthless streak when he kills Dent. My only gripe is how easily it ends.

5. YOLT - Another film that adds more layers in defining how we come to regard what we expect to see in a Bond film. I quite like the story and the fact we finally get to set Blofeld but as mentioned previously some of Tokyo material leaves a lot to be desired. The choreography and scale of the volcano battle is amazing.

6. DAF - The story being really weak and the use of Charles Gray are the 2 big factors for not liking this film. But in addition it seems that Connery is not interested. Also I feel that this film was the introduction point for some of the poor humour we started to see once Moore took over.
    From Russia With Love
    I feel Connery gave his worst performance within the EON films in DAF.

I just don't quite like his delivery in it, he just looks too much like he's playing himself.

I'm thankful that Moore came along and brought the franchise back on track after Connery spat on it with his DAF performance (imo).
  • chrisisallchrisisall Western Mass, USAPosts: 9,061MI6 Agent
    I'm thankful that Moore came along and brought the franchise back on track after Connery spat on it with his DAF performance (imo).
    I felt he gave a very Flint-like performance in DAF; enjoyable if a bit silly.
    Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool.
    #1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.GF 4.GE 5.DN 6.FYEO 7.FRWL 8.TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT/QOS
  • DigificWriterDigificWriter Posts: 191MI6 Agent
    1. Thunderball
    2. From Russia with Love/You Only Live Twice
    3. Goldfinger
    4. Dr. No
  • heartbroken_mr_draxheartbroken_mr_drax New Zealand Posts: 2,073MI6 Agent
    Best to worst:

1. GF - he's loving it, and having a great time, settled in the role.
    2. DN - fresh, but strong - if a little naive.
    3. FRWL - Solid performance with some great material.
    4. TB - getting bored, but still pretty good.
    5. DAF - playing it like a joke, but at least he's funny and throws what little interest he has left at it.
    6. YOLT - he's really bored and clearly had enough in a weak enough entry anyway.
    1. TWINE 2. FYEO 3. MR 4. TLD 5. TSWLM 6. OHMSS 7. DN 8. OP 9. AVTAK 10. TMWTGG 11. QoS 12. GE 13. CR 14. TB 15. FRWL 16. TND 17. LTK 18. GF 19. SF 20. LaLD 21. YOLT 22. NTTD 23. DAD 24. DAF. 25. SP

"Better make that two."
    Here's how I would rank Connery's performances in his EON 007 films:

GF - Pretty much godlike.
    DN - A great way to start.
    FRWL - Pretty solid, with some nice quips.
    YOLT - Acceptable, but not too great.
    TB - Rather average, flat, and inconsistent.
    DAF - Poor delivery of the quips, looks like he's playing himself, doesn't do it for me.
  • Penfold HeartPenfold Heart Posts: 159MI6 Agent
    Mine, best to erm...Not best :))

1. Thunderball
    2. Goldfinger
    3. Dr. No
    4. From Russia With Love
    5. You Only Live Twice
    6. Diamonds are Forever
  • Willard WhyteWillard Whyte Posts: 166MI6 Agent
    1...FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE 10/10

One of the best stories from Fleming faithfully put onto the screen, fantastic characters in Grant and Klebb and one of the most beautiful Women in the series Tanya.

Pros...Script, Locations, Acting, FANTASTIC.
    Cons..None

2...GOLDFINGER 10/10

Absolutely exceptional opening credits sequence, Bond looking fantastic in his white tux, blowing up a heroin plant somewhere exotic, great line "shocking , positively shocking" before the greatest ever Bond theme, titles are fantastic.
    Great Car, Connery on top form.

Best scene ever in a Bond film on the table with the laser.

3...THUNDERBALL 9/10

A fantastic film, one of the best scores in the series, without doubt the best looking women in any Bond film, fantastic underwater sequences, fantastic script and love the interactions between Largo and Bond.

Loved Blofeld in this.

Cons...Sped up film at the end when the Disco Volante crashes on the rocks.

4...DR NO 8/10

Class film, no cons , all pro's, fantastic introduction to James Bond.

5...YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE 6/10

Pro's Fantastic score, Gorgeous locations. great pre credits sequence, copied in TSWLM

6...DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER ...5/10

A fat bored Connery, rubbish script, a very camp Blofeld compared to OHMSS, terrible acting and the first 30 mins is dire, Amsterdam is the most unglamorous location of alltime. picks up when Bond goes to Las Vegas. Terrible ending with oil Rig getting attacked.

Pros...........Jill St John in a bikini, Moon Buggy chase, Las Vegas "lean over " chase.

Cons..........Camp Blofeld, rubbish story, Awful last twenty mins/ending.

One of the worst Bond films ever and it's not as good as the Austin Powers series.
    I smell a rat

A fat bored Connery, rubbish script, a very camp Blofeld compared to OHMSS, terrible acting and the first 30 mins is dire, Amsterdam is the most unglamorous location of alltime. picks up when Bond goes to Las Vegas. Terrible ending with oil Rig getting attacked.

Pros...........Jill St John in a bikini, Moon Buggy chase, Las Vegas "lean over " chase.

One of the worst Bond films ever and it's not as good as the Austin Powers series.

Funny how you took your username from what you think of as one of the worst Bond films ever. :))
  • Willard WhyteWillard Whyte Posts: 166MI6 Agent
    Matt S wrote:

Funny how you took your username from what you think of as one of the worst Bond films ever. :))

All the great names had been taken, WW was funny in that film :p

Might be one of the worst Bond films but it's still ac Bond film :007)
    I smell a rat
  • DR NO-ahDR NO-ah AustraliaPosts: 104MI6 Agent
    Purely out of enjoyment I have watching the film. If I was being objective on the quality of the films it would most certainly be different.

1.Diamonds are Forever
    2.From Russia With Love
    3.Dr No
    4.Goldfinger
    5.You Only Live Twice
    6.Thunderball

Diamonds are Forever is so much fun and entertaining and I guess in the end that is all that matters!
    "Mango, banana and tangerine. Sugar and ackee and cocoa bean!"
    DR NO-ah wrote:
    Diamonds are Forever is so much fun and entertaining and I guess in the end that is all that matters!

Hey, if it entertains you, that's fine with me.

It's not my idea of entertainment, but different Bond fans are entertained by different things.
  • The Wicker ManThe Wicker Man EnglandPosts: 434MI6 Agent
    Here goes....
    1. FRWL
    2. GF
    3. DN
    4. TB
    5. YOLT
    6. DAF

As much as I love GF I just prefer the sheer class of FRWL. Again it is close between DN and TB both brilliant Bond films. I like the fact that DN is a Bond film without any filler whereas TB occasionally drags. YOLT is a fun film. I have actually started to enjoy watching DAF a lot more recently but it is still my least favourite Connery Bond film. -{
    1.ohmss 2.cr 3.frwl 4.ltk 5.gf 6.tswlm 7.sf 8.op 9.tld 10.dn 11.lald 12.tb 13.fyeo 14.ge 15.mr 16.yolt 17.tnd 18.avtak 19.sp 20.twine 21.qos 22.tmwtgg 23.daf 24.dad
    Here goes....
    1. FRWL
    2. GF
    3. DN
    4. TB
    5. YOLT
    6. DAF

As much as I love GF I just prefer the sheer class of FRWL. Again it is close between DN and TB both brilliant Bond films. I like the fact that DN is a Bond film without any filler whereas TB occasionally drags. YOLT is a fun film. I have actually started to enjoy watching DAF a lot more recently but it is still my least favourite Connery Bond film. -{

TWM, have you seen NSNA? I personally haven't, but I'm just curious.
  • The Wicker ManThe Wicker Man EnglandPosts: 434MI6 Agent
    Here goes....
    1. FRWL
    2. GF
    3. DN
    4. TB
    5. YOLT
    6. DAF

TWM, have you seen NSNA? I personally haven't, but I'm just curious.

I have Agent Purple. If I was to include it in my Connery Bond film rankings it would be last. It's not that good in my opinion. I don't watch it often but it has it's moments. At least Connery is in it. -{
    1.ohmss 2.cr 3.frwl 4.ltk 5.gf 6.tswlm 7.sf 8.op 9.tld 10.dn 11.lald 12.tb 13.fyeo 14.ge 15.mr 16.yolt 17.tnd 18.avtak 19.sp 20.twine 21.qos 22.tmwtgg 23.daf 24.dad
    If I was to include it in my Connery Bond film rankings it would be last. It's not that good in my opinion. I don't watch it often but it has it's moments. At least Connery is in it. -{
    It has some cool moments & lines, but overall I like (for comparison) DAF WAAAAY better.
    chrisisall wrote:
    If I was to include it in my Connery Bond film rankings it would be last. It's not that good in my opinion. I don't watch it often but it has it's moments. At least Connery is in it. -{
    It has some cool moments & lines, but overall I like (for comparison) DAF WAAAAY better.

I agree.

NSNA doesn't belong in Bond rankings because it's not a real Bond film. Even if it was better than Connery's Bond films, it still shouldn't be mentioned along with the others.
    Matt S wrote:
    chrisisall wrote:

I agree.

NSNA doesn't belong in Bond rankings because it's not a real Bond film. Even if it was better than Connery's Bond films, it still shouldn't be mentioned along with the others.

I'm not sure if Blackleiter or Barbel would agree.
    Matt S wrote:
    chrisisall wrote:

I agree.

I'm not sure if Blackleiter or Barbel would agree.
    I don't mind lumping it in myself, but it'd be among the bottom with the other Bond's I don't need to own (MR, CR'67...). Having the best Felix Leiter is its only real distinction.
  • TarunTarun Posts: 16MI6 Agent
    1) From Russia with love - Love the plot and atmosphere of this one
    2) You only live twice - The girls in this one are mega-pretty, as well as the locations,sets and action! Although i find the part of the film where he gets married to be a bit tedious .
    3) Thunderball - I love the locations, and lot of scenes are entertaining in it, but some scenes drag sometimes.
    4) Goldfinger - Really great film, though about 3/4 into the film it slows down a bit, also I was disappointed they went away from the spectre stuff.
    5) Dr.no - I like this film despite the fact it isn't as grand as its successors.
    6) Diamonds are forever- Some entertaining sequence but overall I see it as the weakest film in the bond canon.
    I like pizza hut
  • Brosnan_fanBrosnan_fan Sydney, AustraliaPosts: 521MI6 Agent
    There is already at least one existing thread somewhere on the forum on this very topic, but I'll give my rankings anyway (BTW they have changed from my list from that thread):

1. TB
    2. FRWL
    3. GF
    4. YOLT
    5. DN
    6. DAF

If I were to include NSNA, it would be equal 4th with YOLT.
    "Well, he certainly left with his tails between his legs."
  • ThunderRakerThunderRaker Posts: 40MI6 Agent
    1. You Only Live Twice
    This movie has almost always been my favorite, it's my most-watched, it reveals Blofeld, Connery does some good acting and funny lines, good action, great scenery/locations, and even greater Bond girls. This movie is just non-stop action and thrills for me, will most likely always be my favorite. I also love the song and the entire beginning of this movie is fantastic.
    It ranks at number one in my overall list.

2. From Russia With Love
    Objectively, this is one of the best movies in the Bond franchise. Believe or not, this movie is an actual spy movie! *gasp*
    Very dialogue and character heavy, and even though I think there were some scenes that were unnecessary, it makes a great suspenseful and more serious Bond film from the Connery era.
    It ranks at number nine in my overall list.

3. Goldfinger
    This movie has only gotten worse after viewing it so many times, not to say it's a bad movie, far from it, but take away the iconic scenes and it's a badly paced almost boring Bond movie. Even though Connery looks great, he doesn't do much, and spends the majority of the movie not saying much or being moved to a different prison.
    It ranks at number fourteen in my overall list.

4. Thunderball
    Connery Bond looks great in GF, but he never looks sexier or acts more suave than the epic movie of Thunderball. Domino is one of the best Bond girls, Connery Bond is hilarious every moment he's on screen, and give or take some scenes that drag on too long, and this movie has some great action, and iconic scenes. I used to really dislike this movie, but after a recent viewing, I appreciate it more. Though.. there are some, awkward and .. strange scenes in the movie I can't help but dread everytime I watch the movie. In a lot of ways, It's better than GF. It's not perfect, but it doesn't deserve all the flak it gets.
    It ranks at number eighteen in my overall list.

5. Dr. No
    This movie is.. good. It's just, well, not as good as others. This movie has all the right elements needed for a Bond film, but nearly every other movie does the exact same thing, but much better. The ending is a little anti-climatic too, and I just don't get the same enjoyment out of this as I do with all the other films.
    It ranks at number twenty in my overall list.

6. Never Say Never Again
    Not a terrible movie, but not a good one either. Very peculiar movie, but despite that, it's very entertaining, and it certainly is an improvement on a certain other Connery movie..
    It would rank at least twenty-two if I had it on my list.

7. Diamonds Are Forever
    Oh this movie, oh man. This could have been so much more. It's the only Bond film I dislike, and I would actually go out of my way to not watch it. Not only does it just ignore one of the greatest Bond pictures, OHMSS, casts Charles Gray as Blofeld, it makes a joke out of Connery, and sometimes unintentionally. Blofeld is completely nonthreatening, Connery looks like he aged 20 or 30 years, and has bad makeup and toupee. It somehow makes Las Vegas a dull and boring looking setting. Jill is my least favorite Bond girl, after Bond's wife, she's a disappointment. I get they tried to make her a "rebellious independent American girl" or whatever, but she ends up making wrong decisions and needing Bond's help anyways, and she's always annoyed me whenever I watch the movie. The plot could have been interesting, but honestly I stopped caring about it halfway through the movie, and Connery was so out of place in the goofy and over the top world of DAF. It honestly makes me feel bad to watch this one.
    It's currently my least favorite Bond movie, twenty fourth place.
    1. TLD 2. CR 3. OP 4. OHMSS 5. FYEO 6. AVTAK 7. TSWLM 8. GF 9. FRWL 10. SF 11. LTK 12. TB 13. QOS 14. YOLT 15. LALD 16. DN 17. TWINE 18. GE 19. TND 20. MR 21. TMWTGG 22. SP 23. DAF 24. NSNA 25. DAD
    1. Roger 2. Timmy 3. Connery 4. Craig 5. George 6. Pierce
  • Mr SnowMr Snow Station "J" JamaicaPosts: 1,736MI6 Agent
    edited January 2016
    4. Thunderball
    Connery Bond looks great in GF, but he never looks sexier or acts more suave than the epic movie of Thunderball. Domino is one of the best Bond girls, Connery Bond is hilarious every moment he's on screen, and give or take some scenes that drag on too long, and this movie has some great action, and iconic scenes. I used to really dislike this movie, but after a recent viewing, I appreciate it more. Though.. there are some, awkward and .. strange scenes in the movie I can't help but dread everytime I watch the movie. In a lot of ways, It's better than GF. It's not perfect, but it doesn't deserve all the flak it gets.
    It ranks at number eighteen in my overall list.

I'm curious as to know what particular scenes you are referring to? Dalton in 'LTK' when he looks at Pam Bouvier and his eyes are about to explode or Moore in 'TMWTGG' when he chases Nick Nack around a cabin I can relate to as being cringeworthy.

I think the choreography at the end in the 'Disco Volante' leaves a lot to be desired but I can't honestly think of any strange or awkward moments in the film at all.
    "Everyone knows rock n' roll attained perfection in 1974; It's a scientific fact". - Homer J Simpson