US Opening Weekend Gross For SPECTRE

Comments

• LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,988Quartermasters
    Yeah, it beat SF's entire run in Chinese cinemas in its first three days of release :007) Our Hero has a new audience.
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent
    Currently number 126 in the highest box office takings of all time league, and it can only go up, good news indeed and hopefully might do something to persuade DC to do another. The Chinese it seems have good taste in movies, I'm starting to think once the theatre run in over and with dvd and streaming sales SP will run SF pretty close.
    It was either that.....or the priesthood
  • The Domino EffectThe Domino Effect Posts: 3,631MI6 Agent
    Yeah, it beat SF's entire run in Chinese cinemas in its first three days of release :007) Our Hero has a new audience.

I guess they liked the Shanghai scenes in SF and decided to come back for more!
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Sorry don't have a link, but on the bbc 3 entertainment news
    last night. They said spectre had moved to one of the top ten
    Most successful British movies ! and it still looks to have legs
    in my opinion. -{
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • heartbroken_mr_draxheartbroken_mr_drax New Zealand Posts: 2,073MI6 Agent
    $677m!
    1. TWINE 2. FYEO 3. MR 4. TLD 5. TSWLM 6. OHMSS 7. DN 8. OP 9. AVTAK 10. TMWTGG 11. QoS 12. GE 13. CR 14. TB 15. FRWL 16. TND 17. LTK 18. GF 19. SF 20. LaLD 21. YOLT 22. NTTD 23. DAD 24. DAF. 25. SP

"Better make that two."
  • welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,292MI6 Agent
    Sorry don't have a link, but on the bbc 3 entertainment news
    last night. They said spectre had moved to one of the top ten
    Most successful British movies ! and it still looks to have legs
    in my opinion. -{

I read its currently 3rd behind Avatar and Skyfall (UK)
    Instagram - bondclothes007
    Great news -{ it would be a thrill if Bond ended up with the number1 and 2 spots.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    Yes would be cool!!

Think from what I read its got a chance against Avatar (but could take a while) however no chance of catching Skyfall.

Imagine Star Wars though is going to do some major damage
    True, but it would be great, if we could brag about being the top two
    British films ever ! ( if only for a week) :D
  • The Domino EffectThe Domino Effect Posts: 3,631MI6 Agent
    True, but it would be great, if we could brag about being the top two
    British films ever ! ( if only for a week) :D

Leicester's on top of the Prem in late November, so indeed anything is possible! :D
    Haha - true dat!
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    Any way you slice it, SPECTRE is a hit. According to BoxOfficeMojo (http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=bond24.htm), as of November 29, the film has made $176 million in the US, putting it at #13 for the year's box office. I would imagine it will finish up in the top 10--though the two weeks Star Wars plays could actually knock it out. Worldwide, the film is at $750 million--not Skyfall numbers (yet), but I'm sure Sony isn't complaining.
    Vox clamantis in deserto
    Guessing it will hit $900 mill maybe by end of year or too optimistic?? -{
  • The Bond ExperienceThe Bond Experience Newtown, PAPosts: 5,490Quartermasters
  • JagJag Posts: 1,167MI6 Agent
    Looks like in the US Spectre is not doing much better than QoS. There was also a big drop in China after the first week. Yes, the movie is still making a fortune, just not as much as predicted.
  • FiremassFiremass AlaskaPosts: 1,910MI6 Agent
    I flat out don't get why Skyfall was such a huge hit. Spectre should be kicking its butt at the box office.
    My current 10 favorite:

1. GE 2. MR 3. OP 4. TMWTGG 5. TSWLM 6. TND 7. TWINE 8.DN 9. GF 10. AVTAK
  • chrisisallchrisisall Western Mass, USAPosts: 9,061MI6 Agent
    Firemass wrote:
    I flat out don't get why Skyfall was such a huge hit. Spectre should be kicking its butt at the box office.
    SF was all dark & s**t. We are a land of angst at the moment. SP was WAY more entertaining IMO. 8-)
    Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool.
    #1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.GF 4.GE 5.DN 6.FYEO 7.FRWL 8.TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT/QOS
    chrisisall wrote:
    Firemass wrote:
    SF was all dark & s**t. We are a land of angst at the moment. SP was WAY more entertaining IMO. 8-)

Yes, SP is more entertaining, but SF had a better script and direction. More importantly, it was an anniversary movie, and there was a lot more noise around it, quite a bit of it not even paid for by the marketing budget. I remember seeing heaps of magazine covers dedicated to the movie, but there were only a couple featuring Spectre in Australia.
    Jag wrote:
    SF had a better script and direction.
    I think it had AS GOOD a script and AS GOOD direction, just a better balance of fun & grit....
    SP had a better balance, I agree, but the plot was much less consistent due to some bad writing.
  • HalconHalcon Zen TemplePosts: 486MI6 Agent
    SP is a superior film on many levels, but James Bond is James Bond ultimately both were fantastic films.

SP was classic James Bond thru and thru, nothing complicated, pure fun. This was in stark contrast with SF, maybe hence the reception.

Times are certainly not reflected in SP in regards to the U.S.
    Halcon wrote:
    SP is a superior film on many levels
    Personally I quite agree. {[]
    Going into the last weekend BSW (Before Star Wars), SPECTRE has made close to $187 million at the U.S. box office, making it the #10 moneymaker of the year. Worldwide totals are near $795 million. So far, it's not repeating Skyfall's bonanza, but--love it, hate it, or have no opinion one way or another--SPECTRE is still a hit.
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,053Chief of Staff
    :) ... and there's still the home market to be taken into account.

I guess the future of 007 is assured.... again!
    I thought it might be interesting to see how the film's doing the day before The Force Awakens opens nationwide and eclipses all competition. It's earned over $192 million at the US box office, making it the tenth highest grosser of the year and breathing down the neck of MI: Rogue Nation for the ninth spot. Worldwide SPECTRE has made $822.4 million. Again, I'm sure the producers and studio have no regrets!
    Vox clamantis in deserto
    It's a crapload of money, to be sure, but you also expect 007 movies to be commercially successful.
  • bluemanblueman PDXPosts: 1,667MI6 Agent
    Hardyboy wrote:
    I thought it might be interesting to see how the film's doing the day before The Force Awakens opens nationwide and eclipses all competition. It's earned over $192 million at the US box office, making it the tenth highest grosser of the year and breathing down the neck of MI: Rogue Nation for the ninth spot. Worldwide SPECTRE has made $822.4 million. Again, I'm sure the producers and studio have no regrets!
    Yet some are saying they are disappointed. Hmmm, both CR and SF had "event film" stuff around them QOS and SP did not, yet both followups came close to equaling their predecessors' takes, and I kinda think both EON and Sony execs know about these little ups and downs in the biz and don't lose sleep over them. Heck a ton of money got dumped on TSWLM after the (relatively) dismal returns for TMWTGG, Bond just seems to roll on regardless and even a film with "poor" returns still rakes it in.

So totally agree, the producers are doing backflips! :D
    The only people to be disappointed with the box office performance of SP would be those who expected it to match (or surpass) SF, but anyone reasonable would know it was not going to happen. It will happen eventually, but not for quite some time. You need a big anniversary, solid script, good direction, a big advertising campaign, and a lucky planet alignment. Such things happen to occur once in a generation. B-)
  • bluemanblueman PDXPosts: 1,667MI6 Agent
    Oh, there are some who apparently need it to be a disappointment at the box office to fit whatever agenda. :#
  • superadosuperado Regent's Park West (CaliforniaPosts: 2,651MI6 Agent
    blueman wrote:
    Hardyboy wrote:
    Yet some are saying they are disappointed. Hmmm, both CR and SF had "event film" stuff around them QOS and SP did not, yet both followups came close to equaling their predecessors' takes, and I kinda think both EON and Sony execs know about these little ups and downs in the biz and don't lose sleep over them. Heck a ton of money got dumped on TSWLM after the (relatively) dismal returns for TMWTGG, Bond just seems to roll on regardless and even a film with "poor" returns still rakes it in.

So totally agree, the producers are doing backflips! :D

It largely depended on which studio was partnered with EON at the time. Depending on who was in charge and other factors, UA and MGM tended to sometimes be cheap. Sony seems to know better and have been heavily funding the recent Bond movies because they are aware that the better the quality (that money can buy), that the returns will be exponential. I wonder too if the studio's market position is an important factor since Sony has dominant distribution channels, just as I wonder if the move of Lucasfilm into the Disney stable will open up that franchise's potential beyond the limits of 20th Century Fox.
    "...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....