Bespoke Woven Belt

Ghughes1Ghughes1 Windsor, United KingdomPosts: 44MI6 Agent
Just to let you know that the bespoke woven belt will remain at half price until further notice! Just email us on the following address and quote 2465. info@Windsorsaddlers.com

www.windsorsaddlers.com

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg
Email : info@windsorsaddlers.com

Comments

• Friedl41Friedl41 Back in SpainPosts: 213MI6 Agent
    Now that we know how the SA version looks like ... any chance that there will be another version? if yes, count me in.
  • FerinstalFerinstal North of Londinium...Posts: 310MI6 Agent
    I appreciate that a SA version of the belt has now surfaced, but I just wanted to say that I purchased this belt recently from Gee - and it is absolutely superb! The quality of the leather and workmanship is first class and I cannot not recommend Gee highly enough from a 'communication' / customer service standpoint.

The belt has already drawn a number of positive comments and I actually like the style more than the SA version. I've had those sorts of 'braid' belts for years, but this design is different to the mainstream. Anyway...

Very, very happy with my purchase. Thanks to the OP for bringing it to the forum and thanks to Gee for an absolutely first class customer experience.
    Yes. Considerably.
  • nickpnickp UK, Surrey Posts: 86MI6 Agent
    Cannot agree more, ordered recently, belt and customer service superb.

Cheers

Nickp

Ferinstal wrote:
    I appreciate that a SA version of the belt has now surfaced, but I just wanted to say that I purchased this belt recently from Gee - and it is absolutely superb! The quality of the leather and workmanship is first class and I cannot not recommend Gee highly enough from a 'communication' / customer service standpoint.

The belt has already drawn a number of positive comments and I actually like the style more than the SA version. I've had those sorts of 'braid' belts for years, but this design is different to the mainstream. Anyway...

Very, very happy with my purchase. Thanks to the OP for bringing it to the forum and thanks to Gee for an absolutely first class customer experience.
  • TeenageBondTeenageBond London, UKPosts: 211MI6 Agent
    Just a heads up, a new, more SA version is being produced! Pictures coming soon... :007)

Glad everyone's enjoying their belt -{
  • JTMJTM Posts: 3,027MI6 Agent
    Just a heads up, a new, more SA version is being produced! Pictures coming soon... :007)

I was hoping for that! Keen to see how close it can be made to the BC now that we have some pics of it :)
  • TeenageBondTeenageBond London, UKPosts: 211MI6 Agent
    JTM wrote:

I was hoping for that! Keen to see how close it can be made to the BC now that we have some pics of it :)

I think you'll be very pleased. Gee's done an excellent job with it.
  • CommandantCommandant Posts: 1,367MI6 Agent
    Look forward to seeing it.
  • Ghughes1Ghughes1 Windsor, United KingdomPosts: 44MI6 Agent
    edited May 2018
    After receiving the new pictures of the belt required I have been able to produce a belt - see pictures attached. There will be better pictures coming in the next few days and cost yet to be concluded (circa £130) !

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg
  • LlafyksLlafyks Posts: 237MI6 Agent
    Ghughes1 wrote:
    After receiving the new pictures of the belt required I have been able to produce a belt - see pictures attached. There will be better pictures coming in the next few days and cost yet to be concluded (circa £130) !

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Looks really good - any chance of a lighter, more tan, colour to get even closer to SA belt?
    edited June 2016
    Llafyks wrote:
    Ghughes1 wrote:

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Looks really good - any chance of a lighter, more tan, colour to get even closer to SA belt?
    Ok !!!!!!

Lighter brown could be ordered however, in order to purchase a requisite leather needed I would require 10 orders, placed and paid for to cover costs. I have funded this brown and it costs lots to produce and in addition, due to the way it is made, a further leather hide is required to create the strips. I would offer this new belt to James Bond fans at £130.

Here are the colours : Darker of the two - CHESTNUT
    Lighter of the two - DARK TAN

image.jpg

image.jpg
  • welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,292MI6 Agent
    Whats the width of the belt?

think chestnut is more accurate maybe?
    Instagram - bondclothes007
    welshboy78 wrote:

The belt is 1 1/2 inch wide and I think CHESTNUT would be best
    edited June 2016
    welshboy78 wrote:

Always difficult to assess correct colour due to variations in light/camera type etc.

Looking at all of the various pics of the original available I agree with Paul that the chestnut looks good and is lighter than the first pics of the new belt (unless it is a trick of the light/camera :D ).

So G, is the chestnut a lighter shade to the first pictures of the new belt?
  • welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,292MI6 Agent
    Poss too many weaves? Think SA belt is 1.25 inch
    Instagram - bondclothes007
    welshboy78 wrote:

Here's a pic of the one posted on Iconic Alternatives which I believe is the belt picked up from Saks by some forum members.

Shows 4 strands/weaves and looks like the chestnut colour posted by Ghughes1. More pics on IA site.

image.jpg
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    Mantis posted fantastic photos of the original belt here:

http://www.ajb007.co.uk/post/826406/#p826406
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
    Llafyks wrote:
    welshboy78 wrote:

Always difficult to assess correct colour due to variations in light/camera type etc.

Looking at all of the various pics of the original available I agree with Paul that the chestnut looks good and is lighter than the first pics of the new belt (unless it is a trick of the light/camera :D ).

So G, is the chestnut a lighter shade to the first pictures of the new belt?

Yes, you get : light tan, mid tan, dark tan, chestnut and brown !

We have two orders already !
    welshboy78 wrote:

Hi mate

If you look closely at the SA belt there are three full weaves and half on top and bottom.

The newer bespoke belt is same format.
    Ghughes1 wrote:
    welshboy78 wrote:

Hi mate

If you look closely at the SA belt there are three full weaves and half on top and bottom.

The newer bespoke belt is same format.

This is where it gets really confusing, for me at least. On the pics posted by Mantis, the lighter belt with the SA buckle seems to have 3 weaves, with the half weave at top and bottom. The darker belt seems to have 4 weaves.

In the pics on the Iconic Alternatives site it seems to show the belt (from Saks) with 4 weaves and a small overlap at top and bottom as does the main closeup pic of belt in Spectre Morocco scene. Since the belt Mantis has apparently came from Saks (?) this leads to my confusion! :#

Also in the screen shot pic the belt seems to fill the belt loops. I've just tried both an inch and a quarter and an inch and a half belt in my SA BC chinos and the inch and a half belt replicates the screen shot better; more confusion. :s Saks site says approx 1.25 inch. Perhaps the fuller belt loop comes from Bond folding over the belt back on itself!

Help!!

Perhaps a bigger pic of a longer portion of the belt laid out flat would help us all, including Ghughes1.

I'd like to get one of these excellent belts from Ghughes1 but would like it as SA as possible!
    Llafyks wrote:
    Also in the screen shot pic the belt seems to fill the belt loops. I've just tried both an inch and a quarter and an inch and a half belt in my SA BC chinos and the inch and a half belt replicates the screen shot better; more confusion. :s Saks site says approx 1.25 inch. Perhaps the fuller belt loop comes from Bond folding over the belt back on itself!

Help!!

Perhaps a bigger pic of a longer portion of the belt laid out flat would help us all, including Ghughes1.

I'd like to get one of these excellent belts from Ghughes1 but would like it as SA as possible!

I'm guessing that this woven belt is much thicker than the average belt, and in 1 1/4" it will fill up your belt loops more than the standard 1 1/4" belt.
    Matt S wrote:
    Llafyks wrote:

Help!!

I'm guessing that this woven belt is much thicker than the average belt, and in 1 1/4" it will fill up your belt loops more than the standard 1 1/4" belt.

Good call Matt, that would help the belt loop bulge outwards! Also in the screen shot pic the only belt loop you can see has the belt folded back on itself which would also help fill the loop. The 1.5 belt I tried though was a thicker than normal one and the fill was better than a normal (thinner) 1.25 belt.
    Ghughes1 1.5 will certainly fill the loop with width and thickness - that doesn't sound right does it :o

What's your take on the strand issue?
  • The Bond ExperienceThe Bond Experience Newtown, PAPosts: 5,490Quartermasters
    So, a few things… I think Chestnut is the closest to the screen accurate belt. And also this is a very thick belt. Much thicker than the RM Williams and some of the other ones that we are used to. In addition Bond Foltz his belt back so that would explain the loops being taken up. Also saks listed both versions of belts as their dark brown belt but clearly it is the lighter dark brown that is the screen accurate one. If that makes sense?
    This copy looks close in pattern from the front, though from the rear it's obvious that it's put together differently. The number of repeats looks correct. However, I suspect that a 1.5" belt in this style will have trouble fitting through a lot of belt loops. I'm wearing a thin 1.5" belt today and it fills in the loops on all of my trousers with little room to spare. If it were thicker like this belt it probably wouldn't work so well.
  • The Bond ExperienceThe Bond Experience Newtown, PAPosts: 5,490Quartermasters
    I think my SA belt is 1.25"
    edited June 2016
    The Mantis wrote:
    So, a few things… I think Chestnut is the closest to the screen accurate belt. And also this is a very thick belt. Much thicker than the RM Williams and some of the other ones that we are used to. In addition Bond Foltz his belt back so that would explain the loops being taken up. Also saks listed both versions of belts as their dark brown belt but clearly it is the lighter dark brown that is the screen accurate one. If that makes sense?

Agree that the thickness will take up belt loop space and also happy that the chestnut colour will be more screen accurate but what about the weaves ? 3 plus two halves or four plus two halves or 4 and no extra bits? Which is it?

The screen shot pic seems to suggest 4 plus a little extra top and bottom (but not quite halves).

image.jpg

The belt you have, and posted pics of, seems to be 3 with halves top and bottom.

image.jpg
  • canoe2canoe2 Posts: 2,007MI6 Agent
    I don't own the actual BC belt, but god knows I've stared at enough pictures of the damn thing! :s

I'm going to throw out a couple of theories and anyone is more than welcome to discredit them as they like:

First, is the BC belt construction more like a woven tube that's been pressed flat? If so, then the subtle twisting of the tube along it's length would explain why in some pics the number of full strands to quarter strands looks consistent along the length (like in ExpatJB's pic):

image.jpg

While in other pics, the relationship between the number of full strands to half strands to quarter strands seems to vary along the length. In the product shot from Saks this is clearly visible and it looks like the "half strands" at the top get shorter and shorter as you go along the length of the belt, while the "quarter strands" at the bottom get longer and longer. :

BC-SPECTRE-Belt-full-e1463955496575.jpg?w=600

In other words: it's probably a handmade belt so there are going to be variations, especially because of the style of construction.

Regarding the color: I think everyone is correct in assuming the mid-brown belt with the SA buckle from Saks is the correct one. Maybe I'm the only one, but I was skeptical it was the right choice because that belt looks A LOT lighter on the Saks page. It wasn't until I saw the real world pics from owners here that I was convinced. Here is a quick mock up with the dark brown (non SA buckle) belt from the Saks page on top, the lighter brown SA buckle belt from the Saks page on the the bottom, and the SA buckle belt out in the real world to the right (from Mantis's pic).

BC-Belt-color-e1464907046490.jpg

I hate to jump to conclusions based on colors in photos on the internet, but it looks like Ghughes1's Chestnut is close to the color of the SA buckle belt shown on the Saks site, which actually looks like the SA color in the real world pics.

image.jpg

So for an SA accurate replica, I would personally be very happy with Ghughes1's belt in Chestnut, IF he can do it with thinner/lighter weight leather to get a tighter weave (but with the same number of strands), bringing the width of the belt down to 1.25" and allowing for more "quarter strands" at the top and bottom rather than the "half strands" it has now. As it is, I think it is an EXCELLENT looking belt, but since everyone is going to want it to be as SA as possible, I think the main issues with it in its current form are the darker color and the thickness/weight of the leather used, which is limiting the amount of "bend" you can get in the weave.

Now everyone can tell me to bugger off if they want :p
    canoe2 wrote:
    I don't own the actual BC belt, but god knows I've stared at enough pictures of the damn thing! :s

I'm going to throw out a couple of theories and anyone is more than welcome to discredit them as they like:

First, is the BC belt construction more like a woven tube that's been pressed flat? If so, then the subtle twisting of the tube along it's length would explain why in some pics the number of full strands to quarter strands looks consistent along the length (like in ExpatJB's pic):

image.jpg

While in other pics, the relationship between the number of full strands to half strands to quarter strands seems to vary along the length. In the product shot from Saks this is clearly visible and it looks like the "half strands" at the top get shorter and shorter as you go along the length of the belt, while the "quarter strands" at the bottom get longer and longer. :

BC-SPECTRE-Belt-full-e1463955496575.jpg?w=600

In other words: it's probably a handmade belt so there are going to be variations, especially because of the style of construction.

Regarding the color: I think everyone is correct in assuming the mid-brown belt with the SA buckle from Saks is the correct one. Maybe I'm the only one, but I was skeptical it was the right choice because that belt looks A LOT lighter on the Saks page. It wasn't until I saw the real world pics from owners here that I was convinced. Here is a quick mock up with the dark brown (non SA buckle) belt from the Saks page on top, the lighter brown SA buckle belt from the Saks page on the the bottom, and the SA buckle belt out in the real world to the right (from Mantis's pic).

BC-Belt-color-e1464907046490.jpg

I hate to jump to conclusions based on colors in photos on the internet, but it looks like Ghughes1's Chestnut is close to the color of the SA buckle belt shown on the Saks site, which actually looks like the SA color in the real world pics.

image.jpg

So for an SA accurate replica, I would personally be very happy with Ghughes1's belt in Chestnut, IF he can do it with thinner/lighter weight leather to get a tighter weave (but with the same number of strands), bringing the width of the belt down to 1.25" and allowing for more "quarter strands" at the top and bottom rather than the "half strands" it has now. As it is, I think it is an EXCELLENT looking belt, but since everyone is going to want it to be as SA as possible, I think the main issues with it in its current form are the darker color and the thickness/weight of the leather used, which is limiting the amount of "bend" you can get in the weave.

Now everyone can tell me to bugger off if they want :p

I like your explanation Canoe2 and the analogy of a tube is probably correct. In the Saks pics you get a good view of 'front' & 'back' and can see how the overlap can vary according to how the 'tube' folds/rolls over.

I, too, would love a well made replica as the SA one now seems to be like hens teeth. Saks probably won't get any more in. Ghughes1 excellent belt, in chestnut, with the changes suggested here by you seems to be the best bet and I'm sure there are lots of other members on here who would love a great belt to finish off their Morocco outfit and also go with the London one. Looking forward to soon(ish) receiving my SA tie from TF to (almost) complete mine.

I'm always impressed by the knowledge and views of people on here and the depth (and quality) of the discussions on something as mundane ;) as a belt.
  • CommandantCommandant Posts: 1,367MI6 Agent
    Another issue is the width of the belt.
    The Mantis wrote that his SA belt measures 1 1/4"
    It will be hard to find a similar buckle of that size...
  • Friedl41Friedl41 Back in SpainPosts: 213MI6 Agent
    Having ordered the other darker version of the BC belt from Saks, with the non SA buckle (Mantis also posted pictures of it)... I am curious to see how it is made ... looking at the pictures of the recreation and the original BC belt ... the recreation looks like a higher quality to me ... :) of course we are going here more for the look and less for the quality ,,,, but compliments to the recreation belt maker!