New Bond Novel (Sorta) by Donald Westlake

Le SamouraiLe Samourai Honolulu, HIPosts: 573MI6 Agent
This is fascinating, and I can't wait to read the book.

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2016/08/31/exclusive-first-look-at-forever-and-a-death-donald-westlakes-lost-james-bon

'The late author’s unused plot for Brosnan’s 007 has resurfaced - as a novel.... In 1995, before Goldeneye was even released, Westlake turned into Eon two treatments for Bond 18. Both his treatments apparently used as their backdrop Hong Kong’s transfer of sovereignty to China.... Now Hard Case Crime has resurrected this lost story, which at some point Westlake rewrote as a novel - Forever And A Death.'

It won't actually be a James Bond novel, but should still prove to be interesting and entertaining. And the cover certainly has a 007ish vibe.

Forever_and_a_Death_cover_1200_1855_81_s.jpg
—Le Samourai

A Gent in Training.... A blog about my continuing efforts to be improve myself, be a better person, and lead a good life. It incorporates such far flung topics as fitness, self defense, music, style, food and drink, and personal philosophy.
Agent In Training

Comments

• HalfMonk HalfHitmanHalfMonk HalfHitman USAPosts: 2,324MI6 Agent
    That cover is amazing. And Westlake was no slouch. Definitely picking this up.
  • Westward_DriftWestward_Drift Posts: 3,085MI6 Agent
    Certainly has a shot at being better than the recent Bond continuation novels.

Thanks for bringing it to our attention. Too bad we have to wait until next June for it to be released.
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,644MI6 Agent
    That sounds most fascinating.

I read about Donald Westlake's film scripts for Tomorrow Never Dies in the MI6 Confidential magazine of the MI6 Community.

It will be great to read this to see what a Bond novel would have been like from him.

It is very interesting how the plot sounds like what Raymond Benson came up with in his debut Bond continuation novel Zero Minus Ten (1997) as it also concerned the British handover of Hong Kong to China in 1997.

Thanks for sharing this exciting literary Bond news, Le Samourai. :) -{
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • philpogphilpog Posts: 51MI6 Agent
    edited March 2017
    I read about Donald Westlake's film scripts for Tomorrow Never Dies in the MI6 Confidential magazine of the MI6 Community. -{

The article was published last October in MI6 Confidential #32.

If you would like to see a detailed examination of the two Westlake script treatments, you can order the issue here:

https://www.mi6confidential.com/issue_32.php
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,053Chief of Staff
    Thank you for sharing that information, philpog.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Definitely have to check this out, sounds fantastic, thanks. -{
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    edited June 2017
    Here's a "teaser" for my article that gets into the similarities between Westlake's original story treatments and the novel:

"Forever and a Death: The Bond Connection"
    https://www.mi6-hq.com/sections/articles/literary-forever-and-a-death-questions?id=04235
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,644MI6 Agent
    edited June 2017
    I see you have an article in the new MI6 Confidential too, philpog. -{
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
    Thanks for the clarification. Welcome to AJB. Please do stick around. :) -{

I see you have an article in the new MI6 Confidential too. -{

Thanks for the welcome, Silhouette Man. I've been a lurker for a few years now -- it's nice to finally be posting.

Thanks also for mentioning my article in the new issue ("Programmed for Danger: The James Bond Find Your Fate Books"). I haven't seen the article in print yet -- I live in the States and the issues take longer to reach me by mail -- but I'm very excited. Hope you enjoy it.
    philpog wrote:
    Thanks for the clarification. Welcome to AJB. Please do stick around. :) -{

I see you have an article in the new MI6 Confidential too. -{

Thanks for the welcome, Silhouette Man. I've been a lurker for a few years now -- it's nice to finally be posting.

Thanks also for mentioning my article in the new issue ("Programmed for Danger: The James Bond Find Your Fate Books"). I haven't seen the article in print yet -- I live in the States and the issues take longer to reach me by mail -- but I'm very excited. Hope you enjoy it.

Yes, I got all of the books but one a while ago on Amazon and I've started your article. I love rare stuff like that. -{
  • Agent KinoAgent Kino New YorkPosts: 202MI6 Agent
    I'll definitely be reading this. Looks awesome.
    1. Goldfinger 2. Skyfall 3. Goldeneye 4. The Spy Who Loved Me 5. OHMSS
    Check out my Instagram: @livingthebondlife
    "I never joke about my work, 007."
  • The Domino EffectThe Domino Effect Posts: 3,631MI6 Agent
    Just finished reading it and must say that I thoroughly enjoyed it. Obviously there's no James Bond, M, Moneypenny, Q etc, no martinis, no gadgets, no MI5 etc, but it's so easy to imagine all of those things in it and had it had those elements, I think it would indeed have been a great film.

I'd never heard of Donald Westlake until this novel popped up but I can understand why he was so popular with his fans. I highly recommend it to all Bond literary fans.