The Living Daylights - it just gets better and better...

Comments

• chrisisallchrisisall Western Mass, USAPosts: 9,061MI6 Agent
    *WARNING: HIGGINS PROXIMITY ALERT*
    Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool.
    #1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.GF 4.GE 5.DN 6.FYEO 7.FRWL 8.TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT/QOS
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    I'm already watching this close - ready to pull the trigger :D
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,704MI6 Agent
    I can never decide for long if TLD or LTK is the better movie, it depends on my mood. Regardless, they are both good :007)
    I can never decide for long if TLD or LTK is the better movie, it depends on my mood. Regardless, they are both crap :#

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Both great films, LTK would be my favourite of the two, Dalton is a perfect Bond -{
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent
    I love them both, prefer ld if only for the Aston. These films for me have improved as I've matured.
    It was either that.....or the priesthood
  • WadsyWadsy Auckland, New ZealandPosts: 410MI6 Agent
    Higgins wrote:
    I can never decide for long if TLD or LTK is the better movie, it depends on my mood. Regardless, they are both crap :#

Why do you not like either of them? I respect your opinion, just curious.
    1. FYEO 2. OHMSS 3. LTK 4. FRWL 5. TLD 6. TSWLM 7. GF 8. AVTAK 9. MR 10. DN 11. SF 12. LALD 13. TB 14. OP 15. CR 16. GE 17. YOLT 18. TMWTGG 19. SP 20. TND 21. TWINE 22. QOS 23. NTTD 24. DAF 25. DAD 26. NSNA 27. CR '67

1. Dalton 2. Moore 3. Connery 4. Craig 5. Lazenby 6. Brosnan
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,053Chief of Staff
    Oh no, just what he needs- encouragement.... :#
    Barbel wrote:
    Oh no, just what he needs- encouragement.... :#
    balloon.png
    :)) :)) :))

edited November 2016
    Wadsy wrote:
    Why do you not like either of them? I respect your opinion, just curious.

Just some points of my beef with the Dalton Movies:

1. Dalton! He's just the uncool guy that everybody picked upon at school because he was pretending to be cool.
    And that's how he still acts as James Bond

What I particularly don't like are his misty eyes - everytime that he plays emotions. When he's happy, he weeps, when he's angry - he weeps, when he's romantic - he weeps, when he's desperate - he weeps. It seems that his only facial expression is to cry. And Bond never cries - with some minor exceptions.

Dalton may be a loyal bloke against the producers and a nice guy in private, in my opinion he never was cool, he never will be but he tries to be something that he's not.

2. As for TLD, I find the Afghanistan scenes very slow, boring and visually cheaply made.

3. Whittaker looks like a friendly Santa, but never like a villain.

4. The toy soldier battle at the end is simply pathetic and so is the sequence with the pipeline.

5. Kara seems to be cute but she's simply anorexic and I cringe when I see her.

6. The balloon popping scene is pathetic. I know that it's metaphoric, but if you look at it it's just Bond in agor, with dramatic music, who's popping a balloon. Wow!

7. I love ski chases, but that one they really messed up - probably because Willy Bogner was not in charge again. Just look at the baddie guys jumping like rabbits in a bad cartoon.
    And then the Cello Case! Moore haters would have crucified him for that!

The positive things about TLD are the beautiful locations in Austria and the Aston Martin. I also like the car chase and Necros makes a good henchman. The fact that Barry returned for a last time is also a plus.

When I saw TLD first, I was a big fan and supporter - I was happy to see a new and younger Bond in a more down-to-earth movie. I very much liked FYEO for the same reasons minus the young actor.

Shortly after the movie came out, I moved to Vienna, I've lived next to the Volksoper and had most of the locations in walking distance. The places there are gorgeous but excitement for the movie wore off quickly after some years.

Now, do you want to hear my opinion about LTK?
    I like it slightly better, but there are still many things that I truly detest - and one hint - Dalton is one of them :D :D :D

• CoolHandBondCoolHandBond Mactan IslandPosts: 6,030MI6 Agent
    TLD is an average Bond movie - Dalton is terrific and there are many excellent sequences but there are too may Moore leftovers seeping into the edges and Joe Don Baker is a poor actor. LTK is a magnificent entry, one of the best Bond's ever with Dalton giving a superb performance. Just wish he had done some more.
    Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia, PAPosts: 753MI6 Agent
    Just watched TLD in my current Bondathan. I am seriously contemplating putting this at #1.
    Just watched TLD in my current Bondathan. I am seriously contemplating putting this at #1.
    Well, it IS at #1 for ME! :) All I did was think to how I feel while watching it... and it always makes me feel GREAT! :x
    TLD has only one flaw for me, and that would be the entire sequence from when Bond gets discovered alive by Koskov while in Afghanistan... Until the plane actually takes off for a wicked climax, it feels long and dragged out.
    1. FYEO 2. OHMSS 3. LTK 4. FRWL 5. TLD 6. TSWLM 7. GF 8. AVTAK 9. MR 10. DN 11. SF 12. LALD 13. TB 14. OP 15. CR 16. GE 17. YOLT 18. TMWTGG 19. SP 20. TND 21. TWINE 22. QOS 23. NTTD 24. DAF 25. DAD 26. NSNA 27. CR '67

• heartbroken_mr_draxheartbroken_mr_drax New Zealand Posts: 2,073MI6 Agent
    edited November 2016
    Wadsy wrote:
    TLD has only one flaw for me, and that would be the entire sequence from when Bond gets discovered alive by Koskov while in Afghanistan... Until the plane actually takes off for a wicked climax, it feels long and dragged out.

Yeah it's not the best sequence in the film, looks like it lacks a bit of budget and it has the annoying film cliche of "don't shoot the plane" meaning that all reality of other situations is gone.

TND's PTS covers a better raid feeling because there's the suspense of the missile and the base is small, makes the sequence tighter and more hand-to-hand. I find the size of the volcano lair in YOLT limits how good the finale feels too.
    1. TWINE 2. FYEO 3. MR 4. TLD 5. TSWLM 6. OHMSS 7. DN 8. OP 9. AVTAK 10. TMWTGG 11. QoS 12. GE 13. CR 14. TB 15. FRWL 16. TND 17. LTK 18. GF 19. SF 20. LaLD 21. YOLT 22. NTTD 23. DAD 24. DAF. 25. SP

"Better make that two."
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia, PAPosts: 753MI6 Agent
    chrisisall wrote:
    Well, it IS at #1 for ME! :) All I did was think to how I feel while watching it... and it always makes me feel GREAT! :x

So true! -{ It makes me feel great as well, such fun, especially the last scene "you didn't think I'd miss this performance did you?"

This and MR are the 2 that make me feel best, which I know you disagree on the latter :)
    Wadsy wrote:

Yeah it's not the best sequence in the film, looks like it lacks a bit of budget and it has the annoying film cliche of "don't shoot the plane" meaning that all reality of other situations is gone.

TND's PTS covers a better raid feeling because there's the suspense of the missile and the base is small, makes the sequence tighter and more hand-to-hand. I find the size of the volcano lair in YOLT limits how good the finale feels too.

If there is any Bond film that lacks a budget, it would be LTK. But it is still an awesome Bond film, but compared with TLD (Afghanistan excluded), the locations are very inferior.

• BruceMurdockBruceMurdock OhioPosts: 133MI6 Agent
    I agree with Higgins. TLD gets worse for me with every viewing as of lately. I enjoy some things about it but for the most part it's wasted potential. I'm not fond of Tim as Bond in it. He was slightly better in LTK but he's my least favorite Bond. He comes off as too forced to me.
    "No for me."
    "You forgot the first rule of Mass Media Elliot! Give the people what they want!!!"
    "I never miss..."
    "Time to face gravity!"
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,053Chief of Staff
    I agree with Higgins.

...and somewhere deep in Europe an LED starts flashing. Green-shod feet begin moving to the keyboard. A smile breaks out: "Ich bin allein nicht!"
    I agree with Higgins. TLD gets worse for me with every viewing as of lately. I enjoy some things about it but for the most part it's wasted potential. I'm not fond of Tim as Bond in it. He was slightly better in LTK but he's my least favorite Bond. He comes off as too forced to me.

{[] {[] {[] {[] {[] {[] {[] {[] {[] {[] {[] {[] {[] {[] {[] {[] {[] {[] {[]

Welcome to the Tim Dalton Misty-Eyed Fan Club!!!!

ICH BIN NICHT ALLEIN!!!! :D :D :D

Great to see a Brother in Arms!

You were just in time, things were about to turn NASTAY! :))
    "No for me."
    "You forgot the first rule of Mass Media Elliot! Give the people what they want!!!"
    "I never miss..."
    "Time to face gravity!"
    Hey, now that we are two - we can conquer the wooorld :D

I just think it's nice you've found someone after all these years. :p :D
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • zaphod99zaphod99 Posts: 1,415MI6 Agent
    Who'd of thought it, a dyed in the wool Daltonista like me agreeing that it does indeed diminish in stature over time. The whole thing sags in the middle, has a weak payoff and a terrible leading lady. At the time I was overcome with joy to have a younger, fitter, more capable Bond that the flaws paled into insignificance, the jarring failed comic moments, mis placed quips...Where I disagree with the view is that what it has going for it is a sterling performance from Tim. Tough, deteprmined, rebellious and plausible. I do agree that the 'misty eyed' moments are a slight cringe though
    Of that of which we cannot speak we must pass over in silence- Ludwig Wittgenstein.
    waaaaaaah, there seem to be THOUSANDS!!!!!!!!!

We must STOP! IT! NOW!

{[] {[] {[] {[] {[] {[] {[] {[] {[]

I just think it's nice you've found someone after all these years. :p :D

Yep, I now have someone while you are still alone :p :p :D

:)) :)) :))
    I'm never alone with the voices in my head ;)

Although isn't this a sign of the "End of days" when people turn
    against Dalton ? :D
    no, it's just a normal day in Higgins-Land ;)

The Daltonator t-800 is being replace by the Brosnanator T-1000 :))
    ojS5l2tl.jpg
    "No for me."
    "I never miss..."
    "Time to face gravity!"