"Just One More Thing..." - The COLUMBO Discussion Thread

13»

Comments

• Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,644MI6 Agent
    Back with another question. ;)
    He's lieutenant Columbia what would be the equilivant rank in the UK ?

I've wondered about this myself from time to time but this might provide the answer:

https://www.quora.com/Is-a-US-police-lieutenant-the-equivalent-of-a-UK-police-inspector
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    It may be like the Foreign legion, which has some different ranks
    compared to other armies ?
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,644MI6 Agent
    Interesting article on unlikely guest star killers in Columbo:

https://metv.com/lists/9-celebrities-who-became-unlikely-killers-on-columbo
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • The Wicker ManThe Wicker Man EnglandPosts: 434MI6 Agent
    Watched Prescription Murder this afternoon, the first ever episode of Columbo.
    It's a fine episode and Columbo looks quite neat and tidy. Not many creases in the old mac at this stage.
    1.ohmss 2.cr 3.frwl 4.ltk 5.gf 6.tswlm 7.sf 8.op 9.tld 10.dn 11.lald 12.tb 13.fyeo 14.ge 15.mr 16.yolt 17.tnd 18.avtak 19.sp 20.twine 21.qos 22.tmwtgg 23.daf 24.dad
    Yes, even his hair was neat and tidy. :D
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • hehadlotsofgutshehadlotsofguts Durham England Posts: 2,107MI6 Agent
    Been listening to this podcast for a few days now. Two guys, discussing each episode of Columbo. Give it a go!

http://www.columbopodcast.com/category/columbo-season-2/

Watched Columbo Goes To The Guillottine yesterday and i was just thinking that that's the second time in the same year, that poor Anthony Zerbe has lost his head!
    Have you ever heard of the Emancipation Proclamation?"

" I don't listen to hip hop!"
    -{ Some interesting Facts on Columbo.
    edited December 2020
    I taped this from the radio back in September 2007 when it was originally broadcast and I've just found it's available on YouTube. One of the few programmes made about Columbo that I can recall:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oHZ4nXd3ko
    Some very sad news to report. Columbo co-creator William Link has died at the age of 87 from congestive heart failure:

https://columbophile.com/2020/12/30/thanks-for-the-memories-rip-william-link/

Thanks for the memories indeed, Mr Link, and for co-creating my favourite TV series and TV character bar none. In fact I was watching a Columbo episode just last night (A Matter of Honor). Mr Link co-wrote my personal favourite Columbo episode Death Lends a Hand (1971) with the late Dick Levinson. Thanks for all the years of escapism, happiness and sheer enjoyment that have come from watching Columbo, Mr Link.

In Memory of William Link

(15 December 1933 - 27 December 2020)
    RIP William Link
    edited March 2023
    Just learned from the Columbophile that the actor Bruce Kirby died on 24 January 2021, aged 95. He played Sergeant Kramer in six episodes of Columbo as well as assorted other characters. I always liked the humour he brought to the episodes. His late son Bruno Kirby also appeared with him as an army cadet in the Season 4 episode By Dawn's Early Light (1974). He's probably the last of the bit part players that regularly appeared in Columbo episodes.
    edited February 2021
    More sad news to report on the Columbo front. The actress and singer Trisha Noble, who played Marcy Hubbard in the episode ‘Playback’ (1975), passed away on 23 January 2021, aged 76. She was one of the many very beautiful women to appear in Columbo over the years:

columboplayback.jpg
    edited May 2021

What that Columbo episode that they thought of setting in Japan might have looked like:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xWtiYXPEbqs

Remembering the great Peter Falk who died 10 years ago on this day, 23 June, back in 2011, aged 83. 

I've just heard the good news that Columbo is set to be released as a full Blu-ray boxset later this year. According to this video the series will be split into two sets - the original 1970s series and the 1989-2003 newer series. There will be commentary tracks, extras and archival interviews included:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=H0mXit0hLIc

edited October 2023

"The Chevy Mystery Show" Enough Rope (1960) starring Bert Freed as Columbo, has been reuploaded recently to YouTube again for anyone who missed it first time around:

This is an earlier version of what became the standalone episode Prescription: Murder (1968) which starred Peter Falk in his first time playing Columbo. After a pilot episode called Ransom for a Dead Man (1971) the Columbo series was commissioned proper and the rest, as they say, is history.

edited November 2023

Sad to hear of the death of Columbo writer Peter S. Fischer. He later went on to co-create Murder She Wrote with Columbo creators Levinson and Link. He wrote some of the best episodes of Columbo in the series.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/11/11/arts/television/peter-s-fischer-dead.html

More sad news. Robert Butler, the director of the Columbo episodes Double Shock and Publish or Perish, has died aged 95. Here he is being interviewed about his time working on Columbo:

edited February 1

This is a (hopefully) funny little personal story about the Columbo episode Swan Song (1974) that I've been meaning to share here for many years so I thought now was about time to finally share it with you all. One day I was over at my older brother's house and he started watching Swan Song as his wife had recorded it from Channel 5 (in the UK) using the Sky box as she saw it guest starred the singer and occasional actor Johnny Cash and my brother is a big fan of Cash and country music in general. So we sat and watched the episode. I had seen it before as I had all of the available Columbo boxsets at that time. When it came to the end scene where Columbo catches Tommy Brown retrieving the hidden parachute from under the hollow in the fallen tree trunk my brother said something which I still find hilarious to this day. I always think of it any time I watch the ending of this episode. He said something like, "I bet Columbo is hiding under that tree trunk and when the killer turns over the trunk he'll be there waiting for him." I still find it funny and hopefully you will too next time you watch this scene! 

I've posted the scene below if you want to watch it again now:

This is exciting news - a new book from David Koenig on all the unproduced Columbo episodes: