The return of Doctor Who (SPOILERS)

Comments

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    https://youtu.be/PMSIe6WfXYE
    The Dr Who helpline.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,644MI6 Agent
    Yes, only a black actor being cast as Bond would top it in terms of the perfect social media storm!
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • Charmed & DangerousCharmed & Dangerous Posts: 7,358MI6 Agent
    Yes, only a black actor being cast as Bond would top it in terms of the perfect social media storm!

Or a black female actor.... :007)
    "How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."
  • caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,907MI6 Agent
    I used to know a ladyfriend who fancied herself a Wiccan
    she argued the number 13 was inherently symbolic of womankind and that the superstition against the number is part of the millennia's old patriarchal conspiracy to wrest power from the wise old medicine women
    why? because the average menstrual cycle is 28 days, therefor there are 13 periods per year, as opposed to 12.3 lunar cycles
    so, going by that symbolic logic, it is entirely appropriate the thirteenth doctor be a woman (though the lengths of years and menstrual cycles may be different on Gallifrey)

problem with that theory, as usual, is Stephen Moffatt - he retconned the previously unmentioned War Doctor in between McGann and Eccleston's incarnations (because Eccleston resents his time on the show and wouldn't come back for an anniversary episode?) and also claimed Tennant regrowing a new arm in one episode counts as a regeneration, therefor the new thirteenth doctor is actually the fifteenth
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,701MI6 Agent
    I'm not surprised the new Doctor is female. I'm no hardcore fan and won't comment if it was the right thing to do, but I think there were enough hints. I haven't really seen the actress in anything, but I was expected someone more like Emma Thomson. The right thing to do is to wait and see if the new Doctor can deliver.
  • ppw3o6rppw3o6r Great BritainPosts: 2,270MI6 Agent
    edited July 2017
    It gets even more interesting if you follow previous storylines "SPOILERS" as the lady in question would say because at some future time Riversong Pond supposedly got hitched to the Timelord in question so unless there is gonna be some post-watershed Scissor Sister action in the Tardis then they have really buggered up a storyline which has been running since the crack in Amy Pond's bedroom wall! :s Not that Donkey follows such things! :D
  • Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,483MI6 Agent
    edited July 2017
    Well, they've appealed to the PC brigade with a smug grin on their faces, but have they thought this through deep enough? Have the box ticking brigade on a crusade actually shot themselves in the foot? Male Dr's have of late been rescued by strong female companions. Sometimes its been those companions who have shown the emotions & clarity of the situation that has saved the day, even in the classic series (stand up Jo Grant, Romana, Ace and SJ Smith et al). So, by applying that to a potentially female Dr/male companion set up what would that give us? Answer..... a strong male character rescuing a female Dr, solving the answer & saving the day. Er, now isn't that the type of sexist stereotyping feminists have been fighting to stop in literature TV & Films for decades? Or they could go for an all female cast and turn sexism completely on its head :))

Either way, this isn't the character originally created back in 1962 and up to 2009, this is an ego ride by the producers who have re-written everything from 2010 onwards to fit into their own unique take on the character and stamp their name on the series, rather than sticking to character and series integrity. DW died for me when Moffat took over and turned out unintelligent complicated crap for his own end. This killed it dead in the water. My 11 year old daughter is a big DW fan and nearly has as many DW props as I have JB ones, she's appalled. Cue the Christmas episode when again we have the First Doctor appear, no doubt Moffat will re-write the Doctor's entire beginnings... because he can... and because he wants to stamp his marque throughout not just his new series, but on the old series too. Someone give me Patrice's rifle PLEASE!!!
    ..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
  • Smithers500Smithers500 Spectre IslandPosts: 1,341MI6 Agent
    Asp9mm wrote:
    Well, they've appealed to the PC brigade with a smug grin on their faces, but have they thought this through deep enough? Have the box ticking brigade on a crusade actually shot themselves in the foot? Male Dr's have of late been rescued by strong female companions. Sometimes its been those companions who have shown the emotions & clarity of the situation that has saved the day, even in the classic series (stand up Jo Grant, Romana, Ace and SJ Smith et al). So, by applying that to a potentially female Dr/male companion set up what would that give us? Answer..... a strong male character rescuing a female Dr, solving the answer & saving the day. Er, now isn't that the type of sexist stereotyping feminists have been fighting to stop in literature TV & Films for decades? Or they could go for an all female cast and turn sexism completely on its head :))

I heard that the next companion is going to be a non gender specific, black, wheelchair confined dwarf who has it in for Cliff Richard...
    Japanese proverb say, "Bird never make nest in bare tree".
  • caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,907MI6 Agent
    if we're going to start speculating on the intent of the show's originals creators,
    Sydney Newman said in 1980s
    ...that the ailing series could only be saved by regenerating the Time Lord into a Time Lady. Mr Newman criticised the direction the show had taken, but insisted that it could be revived by turning the lead character into a heroine. Had the advice been accepted, actresses who could have been considered for the role include Frances de la Tour, Joanna Lumley and Dawn French
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/doctor-who/8052694/How-Doctor-Who-nearly-became-the-Time-Lady.html
    if we're going to start speculating on the intent of the show's originals creators,
    Sydney Newman said in 1980s
    ...that the ailing series could only be saved by regenerating the Time Lord into a Time Lady. Mr Newman criticised the direction the show had taken, but insisted that it could be revived by turning the lead character into a heroine. Had the advice been accepted, actresses who could have been considered for the role include Frances de la Tour, Joanna Lumley and Dawn French
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/doctor-who/8052694/How-Doctor-Who-nearly-became-the-Time-Lady.html

I think you missed the sarcasm and irony in that interview based on 'The Curse of the Fatal Death' comedy skit.

What happens when Susan eventually sees her Grandfather again :)) Or those TimeLords who went off with humans of the opposite sex like Romana and indeed Susan suddenly turn into the same sex. The series is ailing quite badly, but it's only going to get worse, and I'm not talking about the change in sex, prepare for further major differences during Chibnalls reign.
    Also it seems you can no longer download the Dr Who
    Radio series on bbc radio player ! Very odd.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    edited July 2017
    Let me know when someone wins! :D
    20046821_10155619...952441_n-52b0318.jpg
    A series of radio adventures with the Doctor's daughter
    Has been announced.
  • always shakenalways shaken LondonPosts: 6,287MI6 Agent
    All this PC stuff ,of a white James Bond and a male DR Who ,,always makes me think of when the great Dudley Moor hoped on to the stage on one leg ,applying for the role of Tarzan ,And a wonderful Peter Cooke doing his best ,to explain to him with hurting his feelings ,that the role of Tarzan is played by a two legged actor :)) :)) :)) :))
    By the way, did I tell you, I was "Mad"?
  • Smithers500Smithers500 Spectre IslandPosts: 1,341MI6 Agent
    I've got nothing against your right leg...the trouble is, neither have you! :))
    Japanese proverb say, "Bird never make nest in bare tree".
    A series of radio adventures with the Doctor's daughter
    Has been announced.

The poor girl will be in therapy for years! :s
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    Love the Bingo card, Number24--where'd you get it? :))
    Vox clamantis in deserto
    edited July 2017
    I found it in a less informed and not nearly as dignified James Bond forum :v
    Get the cows ready Number 24 ;)
  • danjaq_0ffdanjaq_0ff The SwampsPosts: 7,283MI6 Agent
    not really in to Dr Who since John Pertwee, but this I found amusing :D
    20046543_10212404971031861_5504742871184713049_n.jpg
    :)) :)) :))

Probably just a coincidence but it has been mentioned that the BBC announced a new
    female Dr Who, just before releasing a list of their highest paid presents. showing a big
    pay gap between Male and Female performers ? ;)
    danjaq_0ff wrote:
    not really in to Dr Who since John Pertwee, but this I found amusing :D
    20046543_10212404971031861_5504742871184713049_n.jpg

BRILLIANT! :))
  • DC1888DC1888 Posts: 23MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:
    Let me know when someone wins! :D
    20046821_10155619...952441_n-52b0318.jpg

No bingo for me :))

SDI88d9.jpg
    Don't feel bad! You just had some bad luck, but you tried your best and used some exelent clishes.

I have an idea: If the next Bond actor is controversial I urge the mods to make a "7th Bond casting" bingo and make it public after a few weeks or even a month. Then they can let us know the results: first bingo, who can cross off everywhere etc. It will be great :007)
    ppw3o6r wrote:
    ... at some future time Riversong Pond supposedly got hitched to the Timelord in question so unless there is gonna be some post-watershed Scissor Sister action in the Tardis then they have really buggered up a storyline which has been running since the crack in Amy Pond's bedroom wall!...
    I'm pretty sure we already saw the wedding on-screen, in-story, in one of the later Matt Smith episodes .... something to do with a deep sea diver a cowboy hat and a fifties diner? I must admit I lost track, because of Moffatt's storytelling, I got to dreading River Song episodes as much as I once dreaded X-Files "mythology" episodes, but I'm sure the wedding finally did happen

one theory I read on another site: the next Doctor wont actually be a regeneration of our Doctor, but the granddaughter from the original original series finally making a reappearance ... her photograph is quite conspicuously displayed on Capaldi's desk even though everybody seems to have forgotten her character ever existed for over fifty years
    They should have hired Jason Statham as the new Doctor ! ;)
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,988Quartermasters
    Finally! A casting decision that I have no opinion on whatsoever B-)
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
    Interesting poll...

http://www.strawpoll.me/13537388
    Yes, that poll is completely objective and has no agenda at all....