The not so short lived non argumentative political thread.

ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent
edited April 2018 in Off Topic Chat
Like it or not (sorry Barbel {:)) but politics is everywhere these days, from Trump, North Korea, Modern genocide to the recent German election and Brexit. As ADULTS we should be able to have an open chat about such things and not give the mods cause for sleepless nights, we ARE all entitled to our opinions and so far every political thread has been removed due to personal attacks and general intolerance of others opinions. Remember it's not personal it's politics, and if you can't discuss without making things personal and throwing insults then don't post. I'd also like to say that as this is an international thread please be aware of others sensibilities.
It was either that.....or the priesthood

Comments

• HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    Why me in the title??
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    tumblr_m2sp5rzK6l1r6fra8.gif
    Just want to make a prediction, as despite the best of intentions, we'll end up
    name calling and general bitching.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,417Chief of Staff
    I’d vote on this thread being closed soon :))
    YNWA 97

Can I start by saying that Asp9mm is a stupid moron?

• ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent
    Higgins wrote:
    Why me in the title??
    Because you like a political chat. But I'll soon sort that.
    Sir Miles wrote:
    I’d vote on this thread being closed soon :))
    I'd bet my life savings on it.
    Higgins wrote:

Can I start by saying that Asp9mm is a stupid moron?
    You've just got yourself 10 minutes on the naughty step.
    :)) :)) :)) Is this an Election Special, a sort of AJB " limited Edition "

"Naughty Step" is that the new code word for that Plug thing ?
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."

Naughty Plug thing ?

Im sure I don't know what you mean ;%
  • Charmed & DangerousCharmed & Dangerous Posts: 7,358MI6 Agent
    Naughty plug? Do you put that in a bad bath? ?:) :))
    "How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."
  • chrisisallchrisisall Western Mass, USAPosts: 9,061MI6 Agent
    This thread won't even last until Donald nukes Kim. ;)
    Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool.
    #1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.GF 4.GE 5.DN 6.FYEO 7.FRWL 8.TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT/QOS
    If we can survive September the 23rd ( Latest end of the world prediction ) ;)
    We might just survive Donald and Kim. :#
    edited September 2017
    I'm afraid that Barbel will misunderstand the doomsday predictions for today and lock this up before midnight :#

Maybe he shows here up sooner when I mention how silly men look when wearing skirts :D :p

• Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,701MI6 Agent
    I love the title of this thread. :D
    I'm curious: what was the original title of the thread and why wasn't my name in there (or was it)?
    Perhaps we could try some general ideas and concerns rather than specifics ...

Voting, Should it be compulsory ?
    Perhaps we could try some general ideas and concerns rather than specifics ...

Voting, Should it be compulsory ?
    Noooo, then we'd have more Ill informed people voting, perhaps for the party who has there favourite colour!
    I have no experience with compulsory voting. Perhaps more people will follow the election and vote since they have to vote anyway? Or will they vote blank (is that the right expression?)
    I also wonder if such a law will be enforced.
    I think if we had Sexier politicians, more people would vote. ;)
    hot-italian-politicians-5010.jpg
    like this Italian politician ( Don't know her politics, ..... but as for votes,.... I'd give her one )
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2005/jul/04/voterapathy.uk
    A short list of countries with compulsory voting.
    like this Italian politician ( Don't know her politics, ..... but as for votes,.... I'd give her one )
    Oh yes I'd put an x in her box

I'm not sure. The Green Party have the hottest politicians here in Norway, but they still got only 3.2% of the votes. Can it be that only Italians vote based on hottness? (and me too, obviously)
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,053Chief of Staff
    Hello guys, I was away most of the weekend (performing at music festivals in the highlands & islands of Scotland, where yes Higgy there were a very few men in kilts though not me or the band. We spent a lot of time on boats and in hotels in between singing, sold a few CDs, and got booked again for next year so all good).

Just to be clear: As Chriscoop said in the opener, sooner or later political threads here degenerate into personal attacks* which can't be tolerated. If we can do as he suggests and discuss things like adults then ok. If not then we all know what has happened in the past.

* aside from the usual Higgins/Asp9mm stuff

On-topic: interesting though predictable result in the German election. Merkel has some hard work to do.
    edited September 2017
    You know how modest and reliable we Krauts are, Barbel ;)

I think that it's a good idea not wearing a skirt on an elevated stage - I mean - nobody really wants to see that ;%

Higgins, what's the mood like in Germany? Is there a feeling of relief that Merkel is in for a fourth term, and what about the gains made by the far right?
    edited September 2017
    Hello C&D,

I've said most of it yesterday in the off-topic.

At the surface - nothing will change as Merkel will continue.
    If you look a bit deeper, Merkel lost almost 9% and is now at 33% and needs 3 more parties to continue.

1. The Bavarian Sister CSU who lost over 10% in Bavaria and are gutted because they left the right flank open and may radicalise themselves to get voters back. That will mean more trouble for Merkel's modest direction - particularly in the context of refugees and Europe.

2. The Liberal democrats who have strong disagreements with 3. and are driving a non-solidaric course in terms of the EU.

3. The Green Party who mostly support Merkel's past course.

So building a working government will not be easy and the tone in her party will get more radical nationalist and far right.
    I don't think that this will be successful as you can't beat the rightwinger Populist by being similarly radical and populist (as you'd lose the modest voters that way).

What upsets me most is the success of the far right with almost 13%, they are over 20% in all east German states who all suffered under the Communist regime before the reunification.

And it saddens me that you can mobilise the German people with hate and xenophobia.

I've said it in the other thread. I had a chat with someone from AfD last week and when he bemoaned the "unlawful" behaviour in the refugee crisis and I told him that it would be like me driving him to hospital in an emergency and he later tells me that I was breaking the law by speeding.

Thank you Higgins -{ I missed the other thread.

It seems populist movements are increasing across the world. Is this due to what some perceive to be unchecked immigration, and the increasingly diverse national make-ups which make some people nervous? I think social media plays a part in all this too, fuelling xenophobia everywhere.

That's one reason why I took the plunge and risked the wrath of Barbel by starting this one.
    There is a genuine desire for some to discuss politics and I know this is a Bond forum but as others have said ajb feels like a group of friends chatting so at least this way it stops political talk from seeping into the other threads. I'm glad Barbel is giving us the rope to freely talk nicely
    ...Let's not use it to hang ourselves.

It seems populist movements are increasing across the world. Is this due to what some perceive to be unchecked immigration, and the increasingly diverse national make-ups which make some people nervous? I think social media plays a part in all this too, fuelling xenophobia everywhere.

I've read an interesting article on that topic.

At the beginning of the year, it was consensus that the majority of "protest voters" come from lowly educated low income parts of the society that where losers of the globalisation and the wealth gap.

To fight the populists on that field, a main topic from the parties from the middle was equity and more fairness and so on.

Recent analysis showed, that the supporters are rather "culturally motivated".
    I'll put it mildly - not all of them are that modest - that means that they focus on nationalism, tradition, security cultural social and religious unity.
    They don't want empathy, openess, diversification and liberalism.

The author of that study closed the article that he does not want to imagine what the mainstream parties would have communicated if they'd tried to win the protest campers with the adjusted motivation.

It seems that populism takes what is an ember of concern among society and pour fuel on ( misinformed, incorrect etc) until that ember becomes an inferno and the slight social concern becomes a burning issue, so much so misinformation becomes fact and political leaders are forced to confront them.
    People who ordinarily don't give such matters much thought are all of a sudden discussing things like immigration and how bad it's got which then in turn affects how they vote. And yes social media is a perfect way to spread misinformation.
    edited September 2017
    Populism goes along with 2 observations.

- Close the own fronts "because we are under attack" (by the media, by the evil and corrupt government and so on) and "we must get back control".

- Stir hate and loathe on people who are weaker (minorities by nation, income, religion etc.) to make yourself feel better/superior.

This discussion has been closed.