If Blofeld were recast...

Comments

• Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,701MI6 Agent
    I see the Savalas comparison, but I don't think it would work. The fact that Diesel is a regular in a competent action movie franchise is only one reason I think he's wrong for the role.
    I think an experienced theater actors or a foreign movie star who haven't made it yet intetnationally would work better.
  • sniperUKsniperUK UlsterPosts: 594MI6 Agent
    Big, intelligent, threatening .
    kingpin.jpg
    Who is he?
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    Number24 wrote:
    Who is he?

Vincent D'Onofrio, here playing Kingpin in Netflix's Daredevil
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • sniperUKsniperUK UlsterPosts: 594MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:
    Who is he?

Vincent D'onforio as Wilson Fiske in Netfix Daredevil.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4X4SpcM79M
  • caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,907MI6 Agent
    edited January 2018
    you guys are going to confuse people! Wilson Fisk is the Kingpin's real name!
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingpin_(character)

I've never seen the Daredevil show, but I like the idea of a more physical hands-on Blofeld
    Telly Savalas was the best cinematic version
    whereas the Pleasance and Gray versions were very effete and rather aristocratic, entirely dependent on the competence of their underlings, exactly the traits mocked so successfully by Mike Meyers
    if theyre going to differentiate the official new Blofeld from Dr Evil they should be following the Savalas example and get an actor tuff enough to believably take on Craig alone without the help of his minions
    (...too bad they already cast Drax the Destroyer as another character, maybe he could play Blofeld the way I want to see him played)
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    SPECTRE feels like two movies spliced together, the pacing feels a little odd
    near the end. It might have been better to have it simply set up the Blofeld
    character, as suggested keeping him in the shadows directing the mayhem.
    then Visually unveil him in Bond 25.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • 00730073 COPPosts: 977MI6 Agent
    Which Blofeld do you want to recast?
    Novel Blofeld in the TB gave me very strong Telly Savalas wibes, although he was a bit small (IF describes Blofeld being 130kg!) OHMSS Blofeld; I for some reason imagine a man looking like Ian McKellen as magneto in civvies... go figure!

Christopher Waltz IMHO was a terrible fit for Blofeld; it felt almost as if the production staff were trying to get a feel for what fans would think about these radical departures in character backgrounds... I'm not saying this has anything to do with who's going to be cast as the next Bond, but we will see where this leads...

Anyways; I would like to see a Blofeld that would have this overtly benign, but covertly sinister character. Someone that is not necessarily a physical fit to the previous Blofelds, but someone who can preside over a board meeting of SPECTRE in a business like manner, like Gymkata said; some one with "... the right blend of intelligence, competence, and menace, and you absolutely believed that he'd be a leader in an organization."
    Waltz was a clown, a school yard bully you could absolutely believe harassing "kid Bond" in the boarding school dormitory at night, but not some one you'd believe running a world wide criminal syndicate!
    "I mean, she almost kills bond...with her ass."
    -Mr Arlington Beech
  • TranceporterTranceporter Near Washington DCPosts: 9MI6 Agent
    sniperUK wrote:
    Big, intelligent, threatening .
    kingpin.jpg

I saw Mr. D'Onofrio live at Emerald City Comic Con- it was quite the gathering! Although the main draw for me, was an appearance by the lovely Evangelline Lilly :)

Since no one has suggested it, how about Mike Meyers...?

dr-evil-mike-myers-austin-powers.jpg?w=900&h=506

LOL j/k
    Rule Number 1: "Don't change the deal."
    Rule Number 2: "No names", and
    Rule Number 3: "Never open the package."
  • caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,907MI6 Agent
    maybe just kidding, but he'd do a better job than Waltz's unfunny Dr Evil impersonation.
    ...and I would love to see the real Dr Evil vs CraigBond! the two actors should just get together and release a unofficial short film like that online, it'd be so awesome!
    maybe just kidding, but he'd do a better job than Waltz's unfunny Dr Evil impersonation.
    ...and I would love to see the real Dr Evil vs CraigBond! the two actors should just get together and release a unofficial short film like that online, it'd be so awesome!

Not comedy per se, but Craig had a humourous side on display in Logan Lucky. Pretty convincing as a Southern American too.

On a slightly more serious note, I wonder how Yul Brynner might have done as Blofeld?
    Not comedy per se, but Craig had a humourous side on display in Logan Lucky. Pretty convincing as a Southern American too.
    oh I agree, I've said before he is the funniest Bond since Roger. Maybe not apparent at first glance since he's so tuff and violent and grim and gritty, but in all four films he's always adding these little touches to demonstrate his bad attitude, often the most entertaining parts of the film. for example, "I think I'll call you 'C'." To his boss's boss while M sits there fidgeting awkwardly! That alone was funnier than any oneliner Brosnan ever cracked, and I don't remember Dalton even trying.
    I think it would be awesome to watch him share a stage with Mike Meyers. Universes collide and all that. Craig could do it.
    CP- I Absolutely could not resist posting this. My favorite scene in the Austin Powers series, and high up there in scenes of all time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkmi_UTsjtE

A shame Herve Villachaize isn't around any more. That would have been some Nick Nack patty whack crossover :P
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    A bit left field but how about Kelsey Grammer
    For Blofeld.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,053Chief of Staff
    {[]

( ;% )
  • JTMJTM Posts: 3,027MI6 Agent
    edited January 2018
    Just happened to come across the Jaguar "Good to be Bad"/"Rendezvous" ad again today (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-_30ZRZAI0) and it reminded me how i'd definitely be 100% on the Mark Strong as Blofeld train. Actually I would just really love to see him as any major villain opposite Craig for 25. They'd probably have great chemistry on screen and I think he'd be able to pull off a great Bond villain.

On that note I think Hiddleston would make a pretty decent modern Bond villain as well...that would sure be a surprising casting twist for 25.

...Also the first time I noticed that the ad features Blofeld's Dauphin helicopter from Spectre flying down the Thames again, so both actors sort of have that Bond villain connection already.
  • SomeoneSomeone Posts: 1,537MI6 Agent
    Is Mark Strong old enough? Would Blofeld be played by an American again? I think whether or not Waltz is coming back, I think EON's choice of Waltz gives us an idea of who they think should play Blofeld.

I think that means Blofeld is European, which I would include Brits in that. Charles Gray, Donald Pleasance and Anthony Dawson were all British. They had all done a mix of TV and film before their respective Bond films. Hence, the choice of Waltz.

Waltz was born in 1956, and Bond has usually been many years older than Bond. Waltz is 12 years older than DC. Telly Savalas was 47 in 1969 and Lazenby was 17 years younger. Connery was in his thirties and Pleasance was in his fifties. Admittedly, Charles Gray was only 2 years older than Connery, but he looked a lot older with his grey hair. So, we know Bond25 Blofeld is likely to be several years older. Mark Strong is only five years older than DC. And a well known face. I'm guessing 10-15 years old is a good age range for Blofeld.

With all that in mind and a search using the handy IMDB advanced search engine a lot of candidates come up, but I'm not sure how many are convincing. In descending order of fame, basically, after about 200 people you get into the Z list actors.

People IMDB brings up that I think are too well known, or can't act, for Blofeld are, Jean-Claude Van Damme, Dolph Lundgren, Gary Oldman, Sean Bean, Colin Firth, Hugh Grant. Kevin Spacey makes an appearance, but I think his career is over.

Kenneth Branagh is in there and he has said he'd like to be a Bond villain, but I can't see him as Blofeld and again, I think he is too well known. Other British actors are, Daniel Day Lewis, Tim Spall, Peter Capaldi, Mark Rylance and Ray Winstone. I can't imagine Lewis would want to do it, but I think Rylance would be great.

Other European actors in the list are, Antonio Banderas, Christopher Lambert, Brendan Gleeson, Zeljko Ivanek (a Slovenian actor who is in 3 Billboards), and I would add Czech actor Vladimir Kulich, only because I think he looks the part and he's 6ft 5", and Fleming's Blofeld was massive. Of those five actors, my choices would be Ivanek and Kulich.

For Americans, I think J K Simmons could be a good Blofeld, if he can do a European accent.
  • fire and icefire and ice EarthPosts: 149MI6 Agent
    edited February 2018
    I think Jared Harris would make a good Blofeld, I think he would make a good Bond villain generally speaking.

Lane_Pryce.jpg
    '...exceptionally fine shot...'
  • Smithers500Smithers500 Spectre IslandPosts: 1,341MI6 Agent
    If Blofeld is even in the next film (likely) I've got a feeling its going to be Gary Oldman, fresh off his Oscar win - after all he has a track record of screen villainy...

Personally I'd rather someone else do it, especially a few of those suggested in this thread but if Danny Boyle is going to direct I can see Oldman making it an all British affair.
    Japanese proverb say, "Bird never make nest in bare tree".
  • Lady RoseLady Rose London,UKPosts: 2,667MI6 Agent
    A bit left field but how about Kelsey Grammer
    For Blofeld.

Oooooh ... Sideshow Bob as a Bond Villain !!!
    I did, long ago. I was wrong :#
  • walther p99walther p99 NJPosts: 3,416MI6 Agent
    Since EON usually chose's the most obvious actors to play villains (Mikkelsen, Bardem, Waltz) I would like to see Cumberbatch as one, just not Blofeld.
    In spite of the "Pusher" movies I don't think Mads Mikkelsen was an obvious villan back in 2006.
  • james362001james362001 Lancaster, California USAPosts: 338MI6 Agent
    If Blofeld is even in the next film (likely) I've got a feeling its going to be Gary Oldman, fresh off his Oscar win - after all he has a track record of screen villainy...

Personally I'd rather someone else do it, especially a few of those suggested in this thread but if Danny Boyle is going to direct I can see Oldman making it an all British affair.

Gary Oldman would be a good choice, Smithers500.
    I see Blofeld as someone whom should be big in the shoulders and taller than Bond.
    Since EON usually chose's the most obvious actors to play villains (Mikkelsen, Bardem, Waltz) I would like to see Cumberbatch as one, just not Blofeld.
    Another good choice, waltherp99. I can see Cumberbatch as a villain.
    edited April 2018
    I think the next Blofeld should be played by a theatre actor or someone who is a star in their native country, but isn't well known internatioanally. Mikael Persbrandt (54 years old, 189 cm tall) is a star in Sweden and would make a great Blofeld.

hamilton.jpg

Hamilton_ak5_RGB1.jpg&w=388&zc=0&q=100
  • Bmorelli11Bmorelli11 Posts: 197MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:
    I think the next Blofeld should be played by a theatre actor or someone who is a star in their native country, but isn't well known internatioanally. Mikael Persbrandt (54 years old, 189 cm tall) is a star in Sweden and would make a great Blofeld.

hamilton.jpg

Hamilton_ak5_RGB1.jpg&w=388&zc=0&q=100

Agreed, this guy certainly looks bad ass!
    You're that English secret agent from England | Instagram: @matchedperfectly | Web: www.matchedperfectly.us
    He is also one of Scandinavia's best and most famous thatre and movie stars. He great at playing arrogant bastards.