Last film seen...

Comments

• CoolHandBondCoolHandBond Mactan IslandPosts: 6,030MI6 Agent
    Deadlier Than The Male (1967). This is my favourite spy spoof after the Flint movies. Richard Johnson is a great spy who would have been a good choice for Bond. Elle Sommer and Sylvia Koscina are beautiful bad girls who would have fitted seamlessly into any 60’s Bond movie. The other supporting females were also gorgeous - what was it about 60’s women? they were so sexy and elegant, maybe it was the fashions they wore. Nigel Green made a good villain. Some Bond alumni in it as well such as George Pastell. The locations were good and the sets looked plush, the chess room set worthy of a Bond movie. Fabulous stuff, if you haven’t seen it search it out you will not be disappointed.
    Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.
  • Bond44Bond44 Vauxhall CrossPosts: 1,581MI6 Agent
    The ‘12th Man’ on my flight home - shame it only had English subtitles! :D

Cheers :007)
    My name is Bond, Basildon Bond - I have letters after my name!
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,704MI6 Agent
    No problem, we all know you can read :)
    Did you like it? (he asked in a needy voice...)
    I'm impressed by Jonathan Rhys-Myers German in the movie. I just saw a movie by Roger Spotiswode where Rhys-Meyers speaks Japanese and Chinese much of the film. The man makes an effort! -{
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    The first Purge :
    I really enjoy the purge movies and the dystopian future they
    Show, and was looking forward to this movie. As it would be
    Something different a beginning story. Sadly it starts off well
    Enough but rushes it, and quickly returns to the usual safe
    Purge formula. So I was a bit disappointed with it. Although I
    Will give the ten episode tv series a chance, perhaps in a tv
    Show they can go deeper in to the politics etc of what lead up
    To such a disturbing future.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Mr SnowMr Snow Station "J" JamaicaPosts: 1,736MI6 Agent
    Watched 'Wind River' last night on Blu-Ray. Highly recommend this film. Is well cast, beautifully shot and with an excellent dialogue. Jeremy Renner and Elizabeth Olsen are excellent.

What's sad though is this at the end of the film (this isn't what you'd call a spoiler by the way) but don't read on just in case.

'missing-persons statistics are kept for every demographic group except for Native American women, whose numbers remain unknown'. (from Wikipedia).

This is similar in Australia with the Indigenous people. In this day and age one would have hoped we'd progressed, but no - unfortunately that isn't the case. I won't go on.
    "Everyone knows rock n' roll attained perfection in 1974; It's a scientific fact". - Homer J Simpson
  • Live and let DriveLive and let Drive BelgiumPosts: 56MI6 Agent
    CINEMA PARADISO: The 2 hour version was shown on TV this week. The story, the setting, a touch of humour without overdoing it and Morricone's music make for a great combination. I don't easily get moved by a film but this is on of the rare cases where it did happen. I absolutely loved it. Apparently the Director's Cut is a fair bit longer, I'll try to get hold of that.

DOGMAN: Another Italian movie, but this one was only released in theatres this week. The main character is Marcello, a dog groomer in a dilapidated suburb who occasionally deals drugs and gets abused by the sturdy criminal Simone, a customer who he sees as a friend. Simone's violent behaviour is a nuisance to the locals, but Marcello's loneliness doesn't allow him to give up their one-way-friendship. When he finally decides to save the little dignity he has left, things get even more violent and the bad decisions continue to haunt him.

I was so taken away by the acting, camera work and the grim setting I only noticed afterwards there's no music in this film (except for one scene in a nightclub). It doesn't need it either. It's an excellent movie, I might go and watch it again.

THE GUILTY: A Danish thriller. 90 minutes, 75 during which you only see 1 actor in 1 room. How good could that be? The answer: very good. A police officer working as an alarm dispatch operator receives a call from a women who's being taken away against her will by her husband in a van. You never get to see her or the driver, all you see is the policeman and everything you know is what he hears through the phone. He tries to solve the matter by using all means at his disposal, both legal and illegal, only to realise the actual crime is of a bigger nature than he'd expected.

Definitely not a multi million production, just a solid film. I'm not sure I could watch it a second time though, certain surprise elements obviously wouldn't work any more so it might end up like watching a one hour phone call. But the first viewing was really worth it, money well spent on this one as well.
  • welshguy34welshguy34 Posts: 219MI6 Agent
    Watched a few films this week.

Mission Impossible Fallout. Really enjoyed it, and thought it is up there as one of the best action films I have seen. Best of the series for me so far.

Ant-man and The Wasp. It was OK. Passed away the time, but I doubt if I will want to rewatch it.

Prometheus. Watched this on Bluray, as I have been rewatching all the Alien movies. Had not seen this or Covenant before. Quite enjoyed it, was better than I was expecting.
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    I saw Daren Aronofsky's mother! (note lowercase "m" and exclamation point) a couple of days ago. What. The. Holy. $#&*?!? Starts out as a four-person existentialist, absurdist comedy (with Jennifer Lawrence, Javier Bardem, Ed Harris, and Michelle Pfeiffer), and then turns into a weird horror movie that suggests Bardem is some kind of incubus preying on innocent women like JLaw. I don't think I'm a dumb movie goer, but this one had me wondering what was the point--other than to suggest having house guests really, really sucks.
    Vox clamantis in deserto
    edited August 2018
    Mission Impossible:Fallout

I saw it last night and I think it was an excellent action movie. The character Ethan Hunt is still paper thin and the story is little more than an excuse for great action scenes, but other than that it's really excellent. For me it's a nice bonus that one of the villans is a countryman of mine. Who cares if his last name doesn't sound Norwegian at all -
    his first name is my father's name! :D
    It's very noticable that several action scenes are lifted from Bond movies. "Lifted" is a good word since MI has improved on them. Also, I couldn't help thinking how much better the MI motorcycle chase In Paris is compared to the SPECTRE car chase in Rome. MI managed to make it energetic and dangerous-looking and the streets didn't look deserted.
    Henry Cavill moves very well in the fight scenes and I'm sure he would have done more of his own stunts if he was less mentally healthy :v
    He doesn't impress with his lively acting, but in his defence he plays a stone cold killer and not a charismatic charmer.

The cliff called The Pulpit was one of the stand-in for Kashmir in India and the Siachen glacier. I have suggested all three locations for Bond movies (he said modestly...) It's great to see those places used in films, but I wish Bond visited them instead of spending most of his time in Italy, Turkey and the Alps.
  • JTMJTM Posts: 3,027MI6 Agent
    Has anyone seen that new female action-comedy The Spy Who Dumped Me yet? Just curious if there’s anything else Bond related in it apart from the name and the fact that Gary Powell is the stunt coordinator? Thinking of taking the lady friend to it and hoping some good Bond/other spy movie influence will make it bearable.
  • walther p99walther p99 NJPosts: 3,416MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:
    Mission Impossible:Fallout

I saw it last night and I think it was an excellent action movie. The character Ethan Hunt is still paper thin and the story is little more than an excuse for great action scenes, but other than that it's really excellent. For me it's a nice bonus that one of the villans is a countryman of mine. Who cares if his last name doesn't sound Norwegian at all -
    his first name is my father's name! :D
    It's very noticable that several action scenes are lifted from Bond movies. "Lifted" is a good word since MI has improved on them. Also, I couldn't help thinking how much better the MI motorcycle chase In Paris is compared to the SPECTRE car chase in Rome. MI managed to make it energetic and dangerous-looking and the streets didn't look deserted.
    Henry Cavill moves very well in the fight scenes and I'm sure he would have done more of his own stunts if he was less mentally healthy :v
    He doesn't impress with his lively acting, but in his defence he plays a stone cold killer and not a charismatic charmer.

The cliff called The Pulpit was one of the stand-in for Kashmir in India and the Siachen glacier. I have suggested all three locations for Bond movies (he said modestly...) It's great to see those places used in films, but I wish Bond visited them instead of spending most of his time in Italy, Turkey and the Alps.
    Bond really needs to visit some new locations.
  • welshguy34welshguy34 Posts: 219MI6 Agent
    Alien Covenant, completing watching all the Alien movies on Bluray. It was good, though obviously not as good as the first two movies, but there was some scares and gore.
  • welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,292MI6 Agent
    How bizarre - the Wife was watching that one today also!

Wonder if Scott will finish off this prequel trilogy since it kind of flopped
    Instagram - bondclothes007
  • walther p99walther p99 NJPosts: 3,416MI6 Agent
    welshguy34 wrote:
    Alien Covenant, completing watching all the Alien movies on Bluray. It was good, though obviously not as good as the first two movies, but there was some scares and gore.
    I thought as a whole it was pretty mediocre but the medlab scene was one of the most intense scenes I ever saw at the cinema.
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    The Hitman's Bodyguard. This tries to be everything--a buddy comedy, an action film, a political thriller, even a rom-com. . .and it ends up being pretty much nothing. And for those who don't think Sam Jackson says "mother*****r" enough, this one's for you!
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • IanFryerIanFryer Posts: 327MI6 Agent
    Finally saw Kingsmen: The Golden Circle last night.

Meh.

It's like the filmmakers had no idea what made the original film so popular. It's not awful, but terribly uninvolving. Too much CGI and jolly pop music in the fight scenes is no help whatsoever.
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,418Chief of Staff
    IanFryer wrote:
    Finally saw Kingsmen: The Golden Circle last night.

Meh.

It's like the filmmakers had no idea what made the original film so popular. It's not awful, but terribly uninvolving. Too much CGI and jolly pop music in the fight scenes is no help whatsoever.

I watched this last night too...and my thoughts mirror your own -{
    YNWA 97
    I think I represent the " Youth" of AJB007, and I loved it :p Lots of over the top silliness ;) can't wait
    to see the third film, with filming starting in January and talk of a TV series too
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,907MI6 Agent
    I liked Kingsman 2, not necessarily better than the original, but I had less issues with it than the original, I guess I was now inoculated to the graphic zombie gore and unsubtle sex jokes and could enjoy it for what it was.
    There were a lot of specific Bond references, starting with a shoe spike and an underwater car
    and Julian Moore uses a gadget to give a minion a disgusting execution, and of course he same gadget reappears in the final battle in the villains headquarters … see, rival franchises kow how the stories are supposed to go, how come them Broccoli kids seem to have forgotten?

also Elton John himself delivers this film's variation on the princess-promise gag
    Skyscraper :
    I've read this was a bit of a flop so far at the box office, but I enjoyed it. It's a simple action flick
    I went in not expecting too much, and was pleasantly surprised.
    Detroit (2017)

This drama based on real events must be one of the best drama movies made last year. It's set during the riots in 1967. "Detroit" is superbly made by Kathryn Bigelow and also impressively acted, especially by Will Poulter and John Boyega. A must-see!
    In the mood for some classic British Sci-fi. So watched
    The Village of The Dammed and Quatermass 2. -{
    In the mood for some classic British Sci-fi. So watched
    The Village of The Dammed and Quatermass 2. -{

Good choices. Have you seen the very odd semi-sequel to Village, Children of the Damned? It's more a reimagining of the same material into an anti-war parable. Also filled with great actors.
    I don't think so Ianfryer, I'll search for it and give
    It a try. -{ At the moment, I'm trying to source
    Quatermass:The Conclusion. A TV short series
    With Sir John Mills as the Professor. I haven't
    Seen it since it was first shown ( mid 70s, I think )
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,053Chief of Staff
    I think it's on YouTube, TP.
    Thanks Barbel, I'll go looking this afternoon. {[]
    edited August 2018
    I don't think so Ianfryer, I'll search for it and give
    It a try. -{ At the moment, I'm trying to source
    Quatermass:The Conclusion. A TV short series
    With Sir John Mills as the Professor. I haven't
    Seen it since it was first shown ( mid 70s, I think )

Hah! That takes me back. I wrote the booklet to an earlier DVD release of the John Mills Quatermass.

The Quatermass Conclusion is really the title of the movie-length single-part version of the film. The original mini-series is just called Quatermass.

Here's a link to a newer release of the mini-series on DVD: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Quatermass-DVD-John-Mills/dp/B0108KZO6G/ref=sr_1_2?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1534156805&sr=1-2&keywords=john+mills+quatermass

A BluRay is also available.
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,053Chief of Staff
    That's interesting about you writing those notes, Ian. This topic might be of interest: https://www.ajb007.co.uk/topic/45986/quatermass-ii-similarities-to-moonraker-novel/
  • always shakenalways shaken LondonPosts: 6,287MI6 Agent
    We watched Hacksaw ridge yesterday it's a true story . My god if you like realism in war films this is the one to watch . I never thought they would top saving private Ryanfor realism . But this beats that hands down . The only way they can beat hacksaw ridge for realism , is if they now kill real people , but besides all that a great film
    By the way, did I tell you, I was "Mad"?
    After my classic British Sci-fi binge including the
    79 Quatermass, I fancied some 80s vigilante violence.
    So watched The Exterminator 1 & 2 .