Last film seen...

Comments

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Just had an epic evening watching all three Naked gun movies :))
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,239MI6 Agent
    Did my ****-a-snoop reference in my MI review get flagged up by censors?!

Edit: Apparently!

Anyway, returning to that briefly, I have to say that Cruise's apparent willingness to do his own stunts counts a lot. The scene on a helicopter owes much to the pts of FYEO, the difference being you really believe Cruise is up there, struggling to get a hold, while Moore's thing is different. That said, and this is crucial, the Bond action scenes are relaxing and enjoyable, and less frenetic. You fear for the hero less, perhaps because you are meant to enjoy being him, being Bond! It's escapism. The only time I think we really fear for Bond in action is in near the beginning of CR, when he has to make that high jump from one building to another. Are there any others?
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • Mr SnowMr Snow Station "J" JamaicaPosts: 1,736MI6 Agent
    Did my ****-a-snoop reference in my MI review get flagged up by censors?!

Edit: Apparently!

Anyway, returning to that briefly, I have to say that Cruise's apparent willingness to do his own stunts counts a lot. The scene on a helicopter owes much to the pts of FYEO, the difference being you really believe Cruise is up there, struggling to get a hold, while Moore's thing is different. That said, and this is crucial, the Bond action scenes are relaxing and enjoyable, and less frenetic. You fear for the hero less, perhaps because you are meant to enjoy being him, being Bond! It's escapism. The only time I think we really fear for Bond in action is in near the beginning of CR, when he has to make that high jump from one building to another. Are there any others?
    The scene in Goldfinger when Bond is about to have his nuts split in two (as well as the rest of him) would be one. Even Connery was concerned; among many of his female admirers. :D
    "Everyone knows rock n' roll attained perfection in 1974; It's a scientific fact". - Homer J Simpson
  • IanFryerIanFryer Posts: 327MI6 Agent
    OGG007 wrote:
    IanFryer wrote:
    OGG007 wrote:
    It was pretty successful Number24. Unsure why it wasn't more so. Maybe because it was made only 2 years after the original?

-{

I gather the film took a fairly respectable amount of money, but director David Fincher's working methods were so time-consuming and expensive that it was very expensive to make and didn't make enough money for a sequel to be thought worthwhile. There was talk of a follow-up for some time with a different director but it came to nothing.

There will be a follow up called 'The Girl in the Spider's Web' that will be released later this year in Sweden in late October and in the US early November. The film is directed by Fede Alvarez and Claire Foy takes on the role of Lisbeth Salander.

Strange that they've skipped the rest of the books in the original sequence and gone to the David Lagercrantz continuation novels. I wonder if it's due to an issue with the film rights.
  • Mr SnowMr Snow Station "J" JamaicaPosts: 1,736MI6 Agent
    "Everyone knows rock n' roll attained perfection in 1974; It's a scientific fact". - Homer J Simpson
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,702MI6 Agent
    IanFryer wrote:
    OGG007 wrote:
    IanFryer wrote:

I gather the film took a fairly respectable amount of money, but director David Fincher's working methods were so time-consuming and expensive that it was very expensive to make and didn't make enough money for a sequel to be thought worthwhile. There was talk of a follow-up for some time with a different director but it came to nothing.

There will be a follow up called 'The Girl in the Spider's Web' that will be released later this year in Sweden in late October and in the US early November. The film is directed by Fede Alvarez and Claire Foy takes on the role of Lisbeth Salander.

Strange that they've skipped the rest of the books in the original sequence and gone to the David Lagercrantz continuation novels. I wonder if it's due to an issue with the film rights.

"The girl with the dragon tattoo" wasn't successfull enough for the rest of the trilogy to be made in English with Daniel Craig in the male lead. My guess is that the film company still has the rights for them, so someone else is filming the Lagerkraz novels. I might see "Spider's web" because Synnøve Macody Lund is in it B-)
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,053Chief of Staff
    The Tamarind Seed (1974)

Not a great movie, but please check out the title sequence (starts immediately)- John Barry + Maurice Binder! Might seem pleasantly familiar....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BR4-PADx-V0
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    Barbel wrote:
    The Tamarind Seed (1974)

Not a great movie, but please check out the title sequence (starts immediately)- John Barry + Maurice Binder! Might seem pleasantly familiar....

I think I watched this one. Indeed it has an excellent theme and title sequence, but I don't remember anything else about it.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
    The Limehouse Golem :
    An enjoyable Victorian Horror/thriller, as a policeman tries to catch a " Jack the Ripper " type killer.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    Death on the Nile (1978)

A very entertaining and star-studded version of Agatha Christie's mystery novel. Better than I remembered it. The only thing I disliked was the pretty racist portrayal of Mr Chaudrey.
    For Bond fans there is Lois Chiles in an important part.
    I also noticed the scene in the Karnak temple ruins where two people are almost killed by a stone pushed from the top of the gigant collums - just like in TSWLM (1977). My guess is the Bond scriptwriters stole the idea from the novel.
    Poirot is also threathened by a poisonous snake, smuggled in to kill him, while he's standing in front of the bathroom mirror - much like LALD!
  • MrGoreMrGore Posts: 129MI6 Agent
    The Meg. In 3D.

Haven't seen a 3D movie in a long time. Since Godzilla a few years ago. Got used to it pretty quickly.

Liked the Jaws references. "Pippin" the little doggie in the water being endangered by the Meg. The boat being dragged backwards by the giant shark. Chum in the water. Was waiting for something like " we're going to need a bigger boat" but they didn't go for that one.

I thought the whole thing worked pretty well, actually. Better than I expected it to be.

With the cash it is making, I think we'll see another.

Statham should be the next Bond. I think we're ready for a bald Bond who whispers alot. :))
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,239MI6 Agent
    Sicario

Impressive stuff, the director has now been touted for Bond but though I did think, these aerial shots would be great for a Bond film, that said there wouldn't be many laughs. A bit like Nolan in that respect, and the soundtrack had that same groaning noise on it we had with his Batman films in particular the Bane scene.

That remainds me, when's that Emily Blunt Mary Poppins film coming out?
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    Ender's game (2013)

The story is from a sci-fi novel by Orson Scot Card. Tactics, training, motivation, stratigy and ethnics are central themes, so the US Marines reccomend the book for their officers.
    Aliens attacked the earth a generation ago and now a new attack is expected. Promising children are trained to be commanders because young minds learn and develop faster. Ender Wiggins is the most promising of all. His brother was kicked out of the program because he's a psycopath and his sister because she had too much empathy and Ender struggles between those sides of his personality.
    I like the movie for the same reasons the USMC like the book. Also, in a time when actors in action movies train to be bodybuilders months before filming, it's refreshing to see a war movie (of sorts) where the lead (Asa Butterfield) is a skinny kid.
    The director is Gavin Hood also made the terrific "Eye in the sky" and "Rendition" (also about the dillemas of modern war) and "X-men origins:Wolverine". I wouldn't mind it if Gavin Hood made a Bond movie.
    Going in style :
    An enjoyable story of three pensioners who due to lack of
    Money, decide to rob a bank. It's an easy going comedy
    With a Stella cast.
    High Anxiety, still laugh out loud at this, no matter how
    Many times I watch it. :))
  • 007Downunder007Downunder Hobart, Australia Posts: 373MI6 Agent
    Just saw mile 22 and loved it. A special unit has to get a defector to an extraction point 22 miles away . Non stop action and pretty brutal. Filmed interestingly some of it was drone footage
    Anthony
    Tucker and Dale v Evil : ( on Netflix )
    Very funny movie, two country boys due to a series of
    Comic events are thought to be " Hillbilly kilkers" by a group
    Of students. Some really funny scenes
    Mission Impossible :
    Wow! Doesn't Tom look young in this :)) still a great film.
  • caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,907MI6 Agent
    High Anxiety, still laugh out loud at this, no matter how Many times I watch it. :))
    Thunderpussy you have official permission to be my film buddy.

High Anxiety is probably the Mel Brooks film that is most reliant on familiarity with what is being parodied. Nothing so accessible as farting cowboys or "it's good to be da king". But if you have to watch a couple dozen Hitchcock movies (plus One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest and even the Spy Who Loved Me) to get the jokes in this one film, that's not such bad homework.
    Reminds me I haven't seen Spellbound for a long time, that's the Hitchcock film that sort of forms the core of the plot.

Also High Anxiety is the Mel Brooks film where Madeleine Kahn gets the most screen time. Her appearances in the other films are basically extended cameos, and her appearance is always a showstopper, so good to finally see her in a proper costarring role. (she does very similar extended cameos in Wholly Moses and the Muppet Movie)
    Now watching: Final Score with Dave Batistuta and Pierce Brosnan. It's Die Hard at a football match, and absolutely could not be more like DH if it tried.

It's also had a big fight in an elevator, which I haven't since Diamonds Are Forever. I'm not expecting a classic but will stick with it.
    Their cheek is quite amusing. Dave B/Bruce Willis has now chucked a dead terrorist out of a high window to attract the attention of the cops.

They are literally checking off bits from Die Hard to copy.
  • MilleniumForceMilleniumForce LondonPosts: 1,214MI6 Agent
    Watched the Predator trilogy for the first time ready to see The Predator. The best way I can describe them is that it's a fun little franchise. Each film offers something different (even Predators, which on the surface seems like a remake of the first film) and that definitely works in the trilogy's favour. All 3 films are solid 8/10s (an average rating I give to films), although for me, Predator 2 is easily the best of them.
    1.LTK 2.AVTAK 3.OP 4.FYEO 5.TND 6.LALD 7.GE 8.GF 9.TSWLM 10.SPECTRE 11.SF 12.MR 13.YOLT 14.TLD 15.CR (06) 16.TMWTGG 17.TB 18.FRWL 19.TWINE 20.OHMSS 21.DAF 22.DAD 23.QoS 24.NSNA 25.DN 26.CR (67)
    edited September 2018
    Phantom thread (2017)

This movie is written and directed by Paul Thomas Anderson (The Master, There will be blood, Boogie Nights). Daniel Day-Lewis plays the lead, I what he threathens to be his last movie. He plays Reynolds Woodcock ( ;%) who is a leading dressmaker in 1950's London, designing dresses for millionaire's wives, royalty and movie stars. He is an obsessive man, and people tip-toe around him so he can be creative. Alma is his muse and model who falls obsessive in love with Reynolds. Obviously this movie is a perfect companion piece to The Expenables II :D
    To be seriousmb: this movie is superbly acted, shot, written etc. If you are willing to make the time and effort to see a thoughtful, emotionally driven and beautifully shot movie, this is worth it.
    Watched the Predator trilogy for the first time ready to see The Predator. The best way I can describe them is that it's a fun little franchise. Each film offers something different (even Predators, which on the surface seems like a remake of the first film) and that definitely works in the trilogy's favour. All 3 films are solid 8/10s (an average rating I give to films), although for me, Predator 2 is easily the best of them.

I never saw Predators but I think Predator 2 tends not to get the credit it deserves for doing something interesting and different with the concept rather than just remaking the first film.
    Number24 wrote:
    Phantom thread (2017)

This movie is written and directed by Paul Thomas Anderson (The Master, There will be blood, Boogie Nights). Daniel Day-Lewis plays the lead, I what he threathens to be his last movie. He plays Reynolds Woodcock ( ;%) who is a leading dressmaker in 1950's London, designing dresses for millionaire's wives, royalty and movie stars. He is an obsessive man, and people tip-toe around him so he can be creative. Alma is his muse and model who falls obsessive in love with Reynolds. Obviously this movie is a perfect companion piece to The Expenables II :D
    To be seriousmb: this movie is superbly acted, shot, written etc. If you are willing to make the time and effort to see a thoughtful, emotionally driven and beautifully shot movie, this is worth it.

I loved this film - it's very deliberately paced and establishes its period extremely well. On a personal level it helped that I knew some of the locations used, particularly the Yorkshire coastal resort of Robin Hoods Bay. In its own way it's a twisted love story in which an emotionally closed-off, obsessive man who views women on a surface level only, as objects for him to dress, meets a woman who will not put up with his crap finds a way to force Reynolds into making an emotional commitment to her.

Apparently Daniel Day-Lewis had a horrible time making the film, which is why he has announced his retirement from acting. Woodcock is not an unusual surname in Britain - there's even a branch of my own family with the name.

Shoutout also to Reynolds Woodcock's beautiful car, a 1955 Bristol 405.
    You explained the movie better than I did. :)
    Last two films seen: Quest For Love (1972). A pretty-well unique SF romance featuring Tom Bell as a physicist who finds himself transported into a different timeline when an experiment with a particle accelerator goes wrong. In his new life, he is a drunk, abusive but highly successful author in a 1972 when World War 2 never happened. He immediately falls in love with the wife of this new version of himself, who he has never met before. Trouble is, the version of him in this timeline is such a bastard that she hates him and wants a divorce.

Although few of the political implications of WW2 never happening are gone into (it's not that sort of film), an interesting amount of thought went into creating a 1972 in which technology and fashions changed little in thirty years without the impetus of six years of total war. Tom Bell carries the film, his spiky screen presence making it totally believable he could have been an abusive womaniser, but Bell has the range to pull of the romantic scenes. Joan Collins is the object of his affections and gives the standard Joan Collins performance. She's not the world's greatest actress and at times is clunkingly bad here, but she just about good enough - this was actually one of her favourite screen roles.

Also say Spike Lee's BlacKKKlansman (I think that's how you spell it), the best film I've seen this year. John David Washington plays an undercover cop in the early 70s who goes undercover in the Klu Klux Klan - quite a feat as he is a black man. He pulls it off by dealing with the Klan by telephone and drafting in a white Jewish officer (Adam Driver) to meet them face to face. What could have been a grim story is told with verve, intelligence and even a sense of fun - In a key scene Washington dresses just like Clarence Williams III from 70s cop show The Mod Squad.

After wrong-footing the audience with a TV cop show happy ending Lee takes the last ten minutes in a deadly serious direction, as our hero's triumph is undermined by his superiors and the story is brought to the present day with Donald Trump and Charlottesville - the latter event happened while the film was in pre-production.

Lee also takes well-aimed swipes at racism in Hollywood's history, with DW Griffiths' the Birth of a Nation given a deserved kicking. It's a vital film in movie history in terms of creating the grammar of film but the content of the thing is absolutely poisonous and was directly responsible for the revival of the KKK in the early 20th Century.

Very, very well worth seeing.
    Number24 wrote:
    You explained the movie better than I did. :)

Bless you heart, thank you! :x
    I have also watched the Finnish war movie Unknown Soldier (2017) I'll write a review later, but I'll post a clip. Antero Rokka is the manliest man in the very manly Finnish army. Here is a scene where he guns down a Soviet platoon. He can't do it alone, of course - he needs another soldier to reload for him :D

Video:
    https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=unknown+soldier+rokka+slaughters+platoon&&view=detail&mid=31DC114BB7991C80A96931DC114BB7991C80A969&&FORM=VRDGAR

Photo from nother scene were Rokka needs the help of one man to lob handgranades while he engages a few Soviet trenches.

tumblr_ozob78bhrn1r05jtoo8_500.jpg
    Jaws :
    A film I love and have watched many times. This time however
    I re-read the book again, which I haven't done since first seeing
    The film in the cinema.
    It was fun, to notice the small changes from book to film and
    Do believe the Film is better than the book.