Danny Boyle has left Bond25 over 'creative differences'

Comments

• bonded123bonded123 Posts: 291MI6 Agent
    MI:Fallout is currently making less BO than the two previous MI films. Skyfall and SPECTRE grossed significantly more than the last two MI films. Bond is still the number one spy franchise in terms of box office but Tom Cruise does his own stunts. Apparently he does his own acting too, but don't quote me on that. :p
  • JTMJTM Posts: 3,027MI6 Agent
    bonded123 wrote:
    MI:Fallout is currently making less BO than the two previous MI films. Skyfall and SPECTRE grossed significantly more than the last two MI films. Bond is still the number one spy franchise in terms of box office

It still hasn’t been released in China yet, so add another $100 or so million to that box office number.
  • bluemanblueman PDXPosts: 1,667MI6 Agent
    Killing off Bond in real time would accommodate something a simple recasting of the role would not: rebooting Bond back to the Cold War. All the novels become available then, with the (new?) producers able to film them as Fleming wrote them.

I know, I dream.
  • PPK 7.65mmPPK 7.65mm Saratoga Springs NY USAPosts: 1,227MI6 Agent
    I am sure that things will turn around before we know it. After all, some moviegoers thought that due to MGM's financial woes post QOS that it would take too long before we got another film and Craig would get tired of waiting and leave. Thankfully, things did turn around. In the mean time, I am glad that the Dynamite comic book series is continuing.
  • JarvioJarvio EnglandPosts: 4,234MI6 Agent
    blueman wrote:
    Killing off Bond in real time would accommodate something a simple recasting of the role would not: rebooting Bond back to the Cold War. All the novels become available then, with the (new?) producers able to film them as Fleming wrote them.

I know, I dream.

They could easily re-boot with a cold-war period piece without killing bond
    1 - LALD, 2 - AVTAK, 3 - LTK, 4 - OP, 5 - NTTD, 6 - FYEO, 7 - SF, 8 - DN, 9 - DAF, 10 - TSWLM, 11 - OHMSS, 12 - TMWTGG, 13 - GE, 14 - MR, 15 - TLD, 16 - YOLT, 17 - GF, 18 - DAD, 19 - TWINE, 20 - SP, 21 - TND, 22 - FRWL, 23 - TB, 24 - CR, 25 - QOS

1 - Moore, 2 - Dalton, 3 - Craig, 4 - Connery, 5 - Brosnan, 6 - Lazenby
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    Jarvio wrote:
    blueman wrote:

I know, I dream.

They could easily re-boot with a cold-war period piece without killing bond

People were very confused about the CR reboot. A lot of people think it's a prequel set in the wrong time. Killing Bond may help people understand that if Bond comes back it's a reboot. Or they may just wonder how Bond came back to life. In any case, there will be theories about how everything fits together no matter how it works.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
  • Bmorelli11Bmorelli11 Posts: 197MI6 Agent
    A well written piece from Screen Rant. Synopsis: save Bond by just making a Bond film.

https://www.screenrant.com/james-bond-movies-problems/amp/
    You're that English secret agent from England | Instagram: @matchedperfectly | Web: www.matchedperfectly.us
  • walther p99walther p99 NJPosts: 3,416MI6 Agent
    Bmorelli11 wrote:
    A well written piece from Screen Rant. Synopsis: save Bond by just making a Bond film.

That was a great read, thought this bit was particularly true:
    "With things so muddled, Bond 25 should take a step back; as with most franchises, from Friday the 13th to Star Trek, the best advice is to not overthink it. Now, 007 isn't as simple as a hockey-masked hulk stalking camp counselors, but neither should it be a mammoth undertaking that takes four years to complete a single movie; the only real difference need be locking in the sponsorship, and even that's not out of the ordinary nowadays. That aside, the biggest thing holding the series back is that it's moving at such a glacial pace."
  • zaphod99zaphod99 Posts: 1,415MI6 Agent
    Bmorelli11 wrote:

That was a great read, thought this bit was particularly true:
    "With things so muddled, Bond 25 should take a step back; as with most franchises, from Friday the 13th to Star Trek, the best advice is to not overthink it. Now, 007 isn't as simple as a hockey-masked hulk stalking camp counselors, but neither should it be a mammoth undertaking that takes four years to complete a single movie; the only real difference need be locking in the sponsorship, and even that's not out of the ordinary nowadays. That aside, the biggest thing holding the series back is that it's moving at such a glacial pace."

This was right on the money.
    Of that of which we cannot speak we must pass over in silence- Ludwig Wittgenstein.
  • MrGoreMrGore Posts: 129MI6 Agent
    That aside, the biggest thing holding the series back is that it's moving at such a glacial pace."

This is true.
    There really is no justification for the "glacial pace".
    edited August 2018
    You could argue Craig did mess everyone around for almost two years before committing to the role. SPECTRE released October/November 2015 - Craig announced his return in August 2017. It wasn't an official EON announcement, he mentioned it on a chat show. I don't know if Craig's delay/indecision in returning meant pre-production went at a snail's pace. Back in the Cubby era the next Bond film was in pre-production a few months after the release of the current Bond film. Those days are long gone.

To put it into context, the time it took Craig to announce he was returning was almost the same amount of time Broccoli/Saltzman took to make a new Bond film!

If Bond 25 is delayed till 2020 I think there's a legitimate case to argue Bond 25 will be the worst managed Bond film of the franchise. Four years of potential pre-production (2015 - 2019), getting the right script, actors, director - much of that wasted due to delays, disinterest (Craig didn't seem keen to return), or disagreements (Boyle quitting).
  • Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,483MI6 Agent
    It’s not down to Craig that it’s taken so long. EON/B.B. is involved in other projects and Bond isn’t the main interest anymore.
    ..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
  • ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent
    Asp9mm wrote:
    It’s not down to Craig that it’s taken so long. EON/B.B. is involved in other projects and Bond isn’t the main interest anymore.
    That would have been my take on it, eon after all are essentially a family run business, to me it seems obvious the passion for Bond is just not there at the moment, we can only summise that DC dithered about returning but I suspect BB and he had conversations that rightfully aren't in the public domain. It also suited eon to have all the discussion and articles about the next bond didn't it? No new film for 4 years but bond has rarely been out of the news even though there was no news.
    It was either that.....or the priesthood
  • HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,736MI6 Agent
    Chriscoop wrote:
    Asp9mm wrote:
    That would have been my take on it, eon after all are essentially a family run business, to me it seems obvious the passion for Bond is just not there at the moment, we can only summise that DC dithered about returning but I suspect BB and he had conversations that rightfully aren't in the public domain. It also suited eon to have all the discussion and articles about the next bond didn't it? No new film for 4 years but bond has rarely been out of the news even though there was no news.

IMO, it's not so much that Bond isn't EON's "main interest" anymore, it's that they have broadened and diversified with Barbara even taking on some projects outside of EON. The reality is they need to do this to prepare for when the film rights for Bond expire. The gaps between Bond films have allowed them to do this. I don't know if it really has to do with "passion" for doing Bond but as said previously, EON is a family run business and a small "hands on" operation which I also believe contributes to the gaps. It's not Marvel or Disney with Star Wars. These are huge corporations with a very large infrastructure. Also, one cannot discount the problems that MGM has created over the years with their financial issues and of course legal issues with McClory and Sony.

Regarding the problem at hand with Bond 25, the Screen Rant article makes some really good points. Just to add my own two cents, my advice to EON is, get a director on board who has talent, passion for Bond and understands how to collaborate and work within EON's structure. Use Hodge's screenplay....don't overthink it, tighten things up, don't be a slave to excesses, just make whatever changes you feel are needed and get cracking.
  • Arbogast 777Arbogast 777 Minneapolis Posts: 595MI6 Agent
    HowardB wrote:
    Also, one cannot discount the problems that MGM has created over the years with their financial issues and of course legal issues with McClory and Sony.

1000% this
    Chriscoop wrote:
    Asp9mm wrote:

Much as I think Daniel an over promoted character Actor, and an arrogant one at that, I think it's possible that he was very clear about not coming back . I think EON (Babs) just waited him out, let him calm down and tempt him to reconsider. Eventually the strategy paid off and he agreed to do it. No real data, just a feeling.
    Of that of which we cannot speak we must pass over in silence- Ludwig Wittgenstein.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Posts: 296MI6 Agent
    zaphod99 wrote:
    Chriscoop wrote:
    Asp9mm wrote:

Much as I think Daniel an over promoted character Actor, and an arrogant one at that, I think it's possible that he was very clear about not coming back . I think EON (Babs) just waited him out, let him calm down and tempt him to reconsider. Eventually the strategy paid off and he agreed to do it. No real data, just a feeling.

In the article about 'Purity' being delayed, he said 'he had been summoned to do Bond'. Which sounds like he was waiting for them ... he also can't really do much as Bond if they stuffed around for over two years sorting out the distribution deal.
    James Bond Australia - Website | Twitter | Mastodon | Facebook | Instagram | YouTube | Newsletter

Bond on the Box - Website | Twitter | Facebook | Instagram | LetterBoxd | YouTube
    Asp9mm wrote:

Well if B Broccoli was determined to keep Craig for Bond 25 - and Craig says to Barbara "look, I'm tired playing the role, I'll come back but give me two years off" and she says "yes, okay" then he's part of the reason why Bond 25 has dragged on for so long. I'm not saying things turned out like that, perhaps Craig wasn't going to come back and Eon weren't in any rush to recast the role but given what we know about Barbara Broccoli and her gushing admiration for Craig, she may have been happy to delay and delay and delay.

Also, Craig was semi-contracted to a tv show Purity which might have been a reason for Eon to delay Bond 25 but that show seems to be less likely than Bond 25. :D The show that never was.

Anyway, back to the present - let's hope a director comes on board and Bond 25 begins filming in December. I'm sure most fans want Bond 25 out next year, not in 2020.
    Red_Snow wrote:
    zaphod99 wrote:
    Chriscoop wrote:

In the article about 'Purity' being delayed, he said 'he had been summoned to do Bond'. Which sounds like he was waiting for them ... he also can't really do much as Bond if they stuffed around for over two years sorting out the distribution deal.

True Dat
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,701MI6 Agent
    Baz Bamigoye reports that Boyle left because EON and Craig wanted to bring in a new writer.
    There’s a lot of pressure on the producers of James Bond 25 to find a filmmaker to take over from Danny Boyle, who quit when Daniel Craig and fellow producers insisted on replacing screenwriter John Hodge.

If this is true, Craig has power to veto the director and the writer. He could be the one to blame for all this! Ditching the writer and the screenplay three months before shooting begins - nice move, Daniel. :D I'm sure all the crew are gonna love your decision which might put them out of work. 8-)

No wonder Craig did return! Not just the money but he has creative control over the film. Power has gone to his head. Babs is to blame for giving the guy too much control. The next Bond actor should be hired as an actor, not as a producer.
  • The Domino EffectThe Domino Effect Posts: 3,631MI6 Agent
    There have been a lot of media reports lately on the power of DC and while he no doubt is a highly influential part of the process - assisting with the completion of the QofS screenplay and serving as producer on later films - some of their claims have to be taken with a grain of salt because its seems as though a lot of bloggers and reporters want to hang this entirely on DC. That may be true, however, a number have also claimed that he has had veto power over all co-stars since CR. I find that one hard to believe considering that it was his first Bond film, he wasn't terribly well known, he was young, his box office power as Bond was unknown, and while it makes sense that he'd have input, I can't imagine Babs and Michael would have given him all the power now being attributed to him right from the start. Beware bloggers/reporters bearing inside information.
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,417Chief of Staff
    bonded123 wrote:
    There’s a lot of pressure on the producers of James Bond 25 to find a filmmaker to take over from Danny Boyle, who quit when Daniel Craig and fellow producers insisted on replacing screenwriter John Hodge.

If this is true, Craig has power to veto the director and the writer. He could be the one to blame for all this! Ditching the writer and the screenplay three months before shooting begins - nice move, Daniel. :D I'm sure all the crew are gonna love your decision which might put them out of work. 8-)

No wonder Craig did return! Not just the money but he has creative control over the film. Power has gone to his head. Babs is to blame for giving the guy too much control. The next Bond actor should be hired as an actor, not as a producer.

That’s a big IF...glad to see you keep an open mind...I’m glad you aren’t a judge :)) :o
    YNWA 97
    There have been a lot of media reports lately on the power of DC and while he no doubt is a highly influential part of the process - assisting with the completion of the QofS screenplay and serving as producer on later films - some of their claims have to be taken with a grain of salt because its seems as though a lot of bloggers and reporters want to hang this entirely on DC. That may be true, however, a number have also claimed that he has had veto power over all co-stars since CR. I find that one hard to believe considering that it was his first Bond film, he wasn't terribly well known, he was young, his box office power as Bond was unknown, and while it makes sense that he'd have input, I can't imagine Babs and Michael would have given him all the power now being attributed to him right from the start. Beware bloggers/reporters bearing inside information.

I think you are correct in as much as he is part of the story but not all of it. I think he is being singled out as he has a testy relationship with the press. He can seem surly, arrogant and bordeline rude. While all was going swimmingly he was out of scope for pot shots but now the knives seem to be well and truly out.
  • HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,736MI6 Agent
    bonded123 wrote:

More than likely this stuff is probably not really accurate. There's probably lots of blame to go around. No one is going on the record with anything of substance. Most of what is put out there is the tabloid press in England which has no credibility whatsoever. It is possible that Hodge and Boyle's screenplay actually had some issues that EON just couldn't live with or EON is having a huge lapse in judgement. No matter what, when it comes to this kind of stuff, it's all very subjective and the truth typically lies somewhere in the middle but we always have a need to assign blame and see things in simpler black and white terms. With regards to Craig, he does have a rep as being surly and prickly at times with the press, and it could make him an easy target for a resentful media. There are actors and other public figures who are surly and prickly with the media who are actually very decent people otherwise and there are some real charming media darlings who are in reality real rotten apples. Craig has a pretty good rep for being decent to fans who approach him (which can be imposing and difficult) and professional and not a diva on the set.
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,701MI6 Agent
    Some time in the future, after having seen the movie, it would be very interesting to read the Hodge script.
  • Revolver66 wrote:
    Did a quick bit of research on Directors being changed for films and found a few examples …….
    Gone With The Wind, The Outlaw Josey Wales, and Spartacus. Obviously these all turned out
    to be terrible, terrible movies ! :D ;)

Fair point. Though those films were taken over by 3 of the most talented directors in American history :p So we'll see maybe they can get a master to direct Bond 25 and produce a similar result!

Hmm. So perhaps they need to hire Dalton Trumbo to (secretly) write the script? :))
  • Cheverian wrote:
    Bigelow would be an intriguing choice. She’s an Oscar winning director who handles both character and action well. Plus there would be the publicity coup for EON of having a woman direct a James Bond film.

Not to mention such a thing being a useful “transition” dynamic to prepare the wider audience for Bond26: “The name is Bond; Jane Bond” :))
  • Jarvio wrote:
    ... people are overly-critical of everything these days.

I’m highly critical of your overly-critical criticism that people are overly-critical these days. :))

Sorry, lazy Sunday Father’s Day morning here in The Shadows and reading this thread for the first time in a long time.
  • Revolver66 wrote:
    Maybe Bond can kill himself in Bond 25. Knock back a Martini and PPK to the head. That would be a great way for Craig's Bond to go :))

Ah, yes, the Mr White Exit... Having failed in his (Spectre) promise to protect White’s daughter Swann, whom Blofeld kills on their (Bond & Swann’s) wedding day (the Blofeld Revenge arc), and having failed to kill Blofeld for it, he does the Noble Thing, tinged with utter grief at (yet another) Love of his Life(TM) being killed by The Big Bad Blofeld...

Then, you can have the (hitherto-unknown) third sibling, Jane Bond, step in to take over the Family Revenge business.... (sounds a bit too Sherlock, I know, but - hey - the Franchise is stumbling around a bit at the moment....)