Brown, Orlebar Brown

Comments

• The Bond VivantThe Bond Vivant SeendPosts: 1,325MI6 Agent
    They seem to be restocking most things now, so they know that they are on to a good thing.
    welshboy78 wrote:
    Cheverian wrote:
    The test will be whether customers are willing to pay the sky-high prices. From looking at the stock left of 007 merchandise left on Orlebar Brown's website, my sense is that the company isn't having trouble moving product. If that's true, OB is going to continue their pricing scheme.

Yeah they are selling like mad thats for sure so nothing will change in that regard and I imagine that 007 licence wont come cheap

Will be interesting how limited it is or if they keep doing reruns
  • JBT0077JBT0077 GermanyPosts: 236MI6 Agent
    Actually any license doesn’t come cheap, but can usually be covered by an price increase of 5-10% of the items. I totally understand that the pieces are nice but still absolutely overpriced.
    Im a huge fan of the brand and have buyed myself a lot of overpriced bond stuff before, but let’s face it the pieces have no price-quality ratio that justify the purchase, except from a collector point of view. And they sell them for the prices quite good, but usually such capsules more a marketing tool that’s creating brand awareness and not produced in massive quantities, that’s why they sold out so quickly.
  • The Red KindThe Red Kind EnglandPosts: 3,119MI6 Agent
    Do we have any OB discount codes presently?

Thanks.
    "Any of the opposition around..?"
  • welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,292MI6 Agent
    edited June 2019
    XL and XXL Thunderball shirt on eBay for £99.95 BIN (not mine)

I took a XL in this one (43 chest) for reference anybody around my size (initially bought XXL but appear to be XL in this collections shirts)
    Instagram - bondclothes007
  • Enjoying DeathEnjoying Death Toronto, ON CANADAPosts: 1,231MI6 Agent
    welshboy78 wrote:
    XL and XXL Thunderball shirt on eBay for £99.95 BIN (not mine)

I took a XL in this one (43 chest) for reference anybody around my size (initially bought XXL but appear to be XL in this collections shirts)

Link? I've looked and can't find it. -{
    Pussy Galore: “My name is Pussy Galore.”
    Bond: “I must be dreaming.”
  • SuitSuit Posts: 65MI6 Agent
    Certainly, as it's also ok to have an opinion about this pricing, in this case ridiculous, especially for items that never was in any Bond. The Bond name will be watered down if a company can stamp 007 on any item and call it a Bond item. Keep this up and if we're lucky we're gonna see a toothpaste with 007.
    Peppermill wrote:
    Everybody is free to pay (or not pay) for the the items he/she wants (or don't want). Since these items are selling pretty well, OB can ask the prices they do because obviously, there is still an audience that is willing to pay the higher prices. OB has always been a brand with high quality items and prices that match that, the markup on these items seem steep but I assume that EON also takes a cut. Or do people believe that EON just hands out licencing deals like this without expecting anything in return?

All in all, the items sell out quickly for the (steep) prices asked. Are we really blaming a company for making money?

(EDIT: sorry, didn't see Welshboy's reply before I posted)
    edited June 2019
    Price aside (which I agree is high) I think the majority of the collection is quite fun and pretty cool.

We can’t buy genuine items from decades ago e.g. Thunderball etc so it’s cool to get the opportunity to purchase these inspired pieces with a modern twist.

Thunderball is one of my faves so I’m over the moon with those pieces which they heavily concentrated on. They could of gotten closer but I don’t think that was their aim which they have kind of stated.

My main qualm is the 007 logo on the back of the OB tag however it’s not noticeable since on the back and flaps over. And well - you can easily cut it off if need be. One would presume it might be part of the licensing requirement.

Agree the Goldfinger shorts are prob the ones furthest away from the originals - however I think the rest are great updates
  • canoe2canoe2 Posts: 2,007MI6 Agent
    The idea of expensive swimshorts isn't new. Prada has $1000 men's swimwear which sells. But the whole OB line is being sold as being "inspired by Bond". I can see the inspiration in most of the other pieces so if they want to charge a premium, then fine. But the Goldfinger shorts are basically Setters in a new color with gold colored hardware. They don't look anything like Connery's swimsuit. Charging a higher premium for those is excessive imho.
  • CheverianCheverian Posts: 1,446MI6 Agent
    Gymkata wrote:
    Wearing the AVTAK jacket again. I honestly love this thing.

True to size or did you size up or down?
  • HalfMonk HalfHitmanHalfMonk HalfHitman USAPosts: 2,324MI6 Agent
    canoe2 wrote:
    The idea of expensive swimshorts isn't new. Prada has $1000 men's swimwear which sells. But the whole OB line is being sold as being "inspired by Bond". I can see the inspiration in most of the other pieces so if they want to charge a premium, then fine. But the Goldfinger shorts are basically Setters in a new color with gold colored hardware. They don't look anything like Connery's swimsuit. Charging a higher premium for those is excessive imho.

Maybe David can weigh in, but I'm curious what the thinking was here - they seem to have nailed the color, so why not make some effort to match the cut? It's a very curious decision.
  • SenorJon21SenorJon21 Posts: 68MI6 Agent
    I share the same view of most of the forum on those shorts.

OB is trying to sell at high-end prices, but the reality is, all it has to offer is the Bond connection - despite how loose it seems to have become. The materials, construction, etc quite honestly don’t cut it at that price point
  • PeppermillPeppermill DelftPosts: 2,860MI6 Agent
    edited June 2019
    canoe2 wrote:

Maybe David can weigh in, but I'm curious what the thinking was here - they seem to have nailed the color, so why not make some effort to match the cut? It's a very curious decision.

Agreed, especially since they have an excellent style to use for the Goldfinger trunks, the Basset. I think that with a bit of altering and some extra details, this would have been a good option.
    ORLEBAR_BROWN_BASSET_SPORT_STEEL_BLUE_269232_FRONT.jpg?sw=1500&sh=1500&sm=fit
    ORLEBAR_BROWN_BASSET_SPORT_STEEL_BLUE_269232_MODEL_FRONT.jpg?sw=1500&sh=1500&sm=fit
    1. Ohmss 2. Frwl 3. Op 4. Tswlm 5. Tld 6. Ge 7. Yolt 8. Lald 9. Cr 10. Ltk 11. Dn 12. Gf 13. Qos 14. Mr 15. Tmwtgg 16. Fyeo 17. Twine 18. Sf 19. Tb 20 Tnd 21. Spectre 22 Daf 23. Avtak 24. Dad
    Suit wrote:
    Certainly, as it's also ok to have an opinion about this pricing, in this case ridiculous, especially for items that never was in any Bond. The Bond name will be watered down if a company can stamp 007 on any item and call it a Bond item. Keep this up and if we're lucky we're gonna see a toothpaste with 007.
    Peppermill wrote:
    Everybody is free to pay (or not pay) for the the items he/she wants (or don't want). Since these items are selling pretty well, OB can ask the prices they do because obviously, there is still an audience that is willing to pay the higher prices. OB has always been a brand with high quality items and prices that match that, the markup on these items seem steep but I assume that EON also takes a cut. Or do people believe that EON just hands out licencing deals like this without expecting anything in return?

All in all, the items sell out quickly for the (steep) prices asked. Are we really blaming a company for making money?

But is it really ridiculous? It would an example of terrible pricing if no one would buy them, but there are scores of people who feel perfectly okay with paying a premium for these items. So selling them for less would be ridiculous from Orlebar Brown's viewpoint. And lets be honest here, we are talking about luxury items where the price paid is always subjective and not always reflective of material, labor and marketing costs. When I see some people responding as if OB are withholding first life needs like water, medicines or basic food to starving people only to make a few extra quid (not you necessarily, but OB has gotten quite some backlash lately), I can only chuckle.
    1. Ohmss 2. Frwl 3. Op 4. Tswlm 5. Tld 6. Ge 7. Yolt 8. Lald 9. Cr 10. Ltk 11. Dn 12. Gf 13. Qos 14. Mr 15. Tmwtgg 16. Fyeo 17. Twine 18. Sf 19. Tb 20 Tnd 21. Spectre 22 Daf 23. Avtak 24. Dad
  • canoe2canoe2 Posts: 2,007MI6 Agent
    Peppermill wrote:
    Suit wrote:
    Peppermill wrote:

But is it really ridiculous? It would an example of terrible pricing if no one would buy them, but there are scores of people who feel perfectly okay with paying a premium for these items. So selling them for less would be ridiculous from Orlebar Brown's viewpoint. And lets be honest here, we are talking about luxury items where the price paid is always subjective and not always reflective of material, labor and marketing costs. When I see some people responding as if OB are withholding first life needs like water, medicines or basic food to starving people only to make a few extra quid (not you necessarily, but OB has gotten quite some backlash lately), I can only chuckle.

Good call on the Bassetts, Peppermill!

Those kinds of decisions on the part of OB are what I'm referring to. The Bassetts retail for around $150. Modify them a little to become the "Goldfinger Shorts", charge $200 or $225 and I think they would have had a winner. Something like that design is much more in the "inspired by Bond" spirit of the collection, which is the basis for all of their marketing (and higher prices). Sure, people would have still grumbled about the price. But at least the similarities to the originals would have justified them being part of the collection. Plus, they already have 7 or 8 "Bond" shorts in the Setter/Bulldog style. Why add another pair?
    Yeah they would be obvious choice to base the GF model on.

Maybe they based it on popularity of current models? More people likely to buy setters then budgies? :))

Then again the demand for the Onsie.......
    welshboy78 wrote:
    Yeah they would be obvious choice to base the GF model on.

Maybe they based it on popularity of current models? More people likely to buy setters then budgies? :))

Then again the demand for the Onsie.......
    Real swimmers wear speedos! I am obviously not a real swimmer :v
    I hate swimming unless the pool has a pool bar :)
    welshboy78 wrote:
    I hate swimming unless the pool has a pool bar :)
    I prefer swim-up blackjack, but I can relate to the overall sentiment :))
  • Polar Bear 0007Polar Bear 0007 CanadaPosts: 129MI6 Agent
    Does anyone have sizing advice on the poster swim shorts? Do they fit “tight”? Did anyone have to size up?

I’m looking at Moonraker✌️
    This is where we leave you Mr. Bond. (Pilot, Apollo Airlines)
    Does anyone have sizing advice on the poster swim shorts? Do they fit “tight”? Did anyone have to size up?

I take my usual size. I did think I might be able to size down but no chance and sent a pair back :D
    welshboy78 wrote:

I take my usual size. I did think I might be able to size down but no chance and sent a pair back :D

Same here, they fit true to size (at least the Springers and Setters do, I except the Bulldogs are no different). They might be a bit snug when dry but they do loosen a bit when wet. So that snugness is needed to not have your Thunderballs and Moonraker showing after you dive in the pool.
  • SuitSuit Posts: 65MI6 Agent
    What is luxury?

Peppermill wrote:
    Suit wrote:
    Peppermill wrote:

• The Domino EffectThe Domino Effect Posts: 3,631MI6 Agent
    Don't forget that Orlebar Brown was acquired by Chanel last year. That's about as luxury a label as there is.
  • HalfMonk HalfHitmanHalfMonk HalfHitman USAPosts: 2,324MI6 Agent
    They sell $95 t-shirts. Once you've bought into that tier, it's all kind of splitting hairs after that :))
  • CheverianCheverian Posts: 1,446MI6 Agent
    For those who've bought items from the OB 007 line what are your personal favorites? The ones you'd recommend to a friend.
  • Miles MesservyMiles Messervy Posts: 1,757MI6 Agent
    Cheverian wrote:
    For those who've bought items from the OB 007 line what are your personal favorites? The ones you'd recommend to a friend.

The only item I sprung for is the DAF shirt, and it did not disappoint. It felt to me like the one piece in the collection I wouldn’t find anywhere else. FWIW, it’s also one of the most faithful recreations in the collection.
    Yeah I would say DAF and TB shirt are prob the most faithful recreations
  • Double0zeroDouble0zero Los AngelesPosts: 220MI6 Agent
    I would add to that the Bond “dress” shirt. It is slowly becoming my favorite since it’s so versatile. It can be worn with just about anything. Rolling up the sleeves makes it very casual.

I also second the DAF and the TB shirts.
  • FerinstalFerinstal North of Londinium...Posts: 310MI6 Agent
    Cheverian wrote:

I really like the colour and the cut of the TB Carmine Camp Shirt. Wore it on holiday last week and it felt and looked great.

The TB long sleeved polo feels amazing when you put it on. Not worn it out yet, almost feels too good to wear unless it’s a special occasion.

Just ordered the OHMSS dress shirt. I think that has the potential to be worn quite casually in the summer. Will let you know.
    Yes. Considerably.