Bond´s watch in Nr. 25

Comments

• 007JBDCMWR007JBDCMWR Posts: 2,516MI6 Agent
    Asp9mm wrote:
    That’s a stunt watch. Don’t take in too much re the finish as it’s 3D printed then spray finished. It’s a small case size as I previously said. Don’t go buying anything. It’s not standard

Totally agree
    This will be a special edition, hopefully aka Spectre and SA
    Skewered, one sympathises...

1. CR. 2. TSWLM. 3. LTK. 4. GF. 5. SF.
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    If anyone has a universal knowledge about rubber, it's Asp9mm! :)) :)) :))
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • Cg23Cg23 Posts: 242MI6 Agent
    For the strap lovers, anyone have any strong recommendations on good producers of this type of strap? I believe it was stated this was a Milanese Mesh strap?
  • jon_1ukjon_1uk Posts: 672MI6 Agent
    "some men are coming to kill us, we're going to kill them first"
  • jon_1ukjon_1uk Posts: 672MI6 Agent
    Cg23 wrote:
    For the strap lovers, anyone have any strong recommendations on good producers of this type of strap? I believe it was stated this was a Milanese Mesh strap?

https://www.watchgecko.com/milanese-mesh-watch-strap
    "some men are coming to kill us, we're going to kill them first"
  • CB0012CB0012 Posts: 110MI6 Agent
    I'll be damned....

You know I never gave much thought to mesh bands. Now I'm thinking about one. Amazing what a little influence will get you to try.

Looked at the link above from jon1_uk and at Strapcode. Is polished a safe assumption based on the photo?

For any mesh band owners out there, how comfortable are these?
  • Enjoying DeathEnjoying Death Toronto, ON CANADAPosts: 1,231MI6 Agent
    CB0012 wrote:
    I'll be damned....

You know I never gave much thought to mesh bands. Now I'm thinking about one. Amazing what a little influence will get you to try.

Looked at the link above from jon1_uk and at Strapcode. Is polished a safe assumption based on the photo?

I have a mesh band on my Apple watch and it's very comfortable.
    Pussy Galore: “My name is Pussy Galore.”
    Bond: “I must be dreaming.”
    jon_1uk wrote:
    Cg23 wrote:

https://www.watchgecko.com/milanese-mesh-watch-strap

Thank you! Until the exact size has been found out I may just get one in the meantime for my apple watch to see how I like the feel.
  • JG007JG007 Manchester , United KingdomPosts: 276MI6 Agent
    Mesh straps are lovely to wear and a different and nice twist for this watch and I think it’ll stand out against every other watch in Craig’s tenure so far.

This Omega will be one of 2 special launches from Omega for the film. The other likely to be an aqua terra no doubt. This watch looks to be standard on the mesh strap when this watch surfaces. It’s a satin finish case, rose gold or yellow gold indicators on the black bezel with satin crown and release valve. Black wave dial, non date.

Lovely return for a classic Bond seamaster with a modern and different twist, class -{
    CB0012 wrote:
    I'll be damned....

I have a mesh band on my Apple watch and it's very comfortable.

I was going to get one for my apple watch as well. Found a lot of “Milanese Mesh” and then some just listed as “steel mesh” but look pretty dang identical. Do you know if there is a real difference with those mesh bands for the apple watches out there?
  • Miles MesservyMiles Messervy Posts: 1,757MI6 Agent
    I didn’t realize Omega still uses a mesh bracelet in their current roster (on the PloProf of course). Craig must be a fan. This has him written all over it!
  • welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,292MI6 Agent
    The old QoS PO came on a mesh bracelet as an option back in the day!
    Instagram - bondclothes007
  • sirsosirso Posts: 209MI6 Agent
    I'd like to see Bond wearing a digital watch again.

They are cheap, tough and disposable; just like Fleming said Bond wanted his watches to be.

I simply don't think Bond should wear luxury watches when he knows they will probably get damaged on each assignment. He is, after all, not a wealthy man (could he even be on a civil servant's salary?), and comes across in the novels as quite frugal.

So wearing a £5000 Omega would not be something he'd really choose to wear.
    edited July 2019
    sirso wrote:

They are cheap, tough and disposable; just like Fleming said Bond wanted his watches to be.

I simply don't think Bond should wear luxury watches when he knows they will probably get damaged on each assignment. He is, after all, not a wealthy man (could he even be on a civil servant's salary?), and comes across in the novels as quite frugal.

Bond should not wear cheap disposable watches. Fleming was somewhat inconsistent in describing Bond’s watches - both on the page and in contemporaneous interviews - but by the end he had clearly settled on Rolex. Like many others, I think Bond should wear a Rolex, although I am sensitive to the fact that modern Rolex, like Omega, has little in common with what it was in the 1960s. That said, the current Explorer and the Oyster Perpetual both retain some of the character of old Rolex, and (relative to other watches in the Rolex lineup) are more affordable.

It’s all academic. For as long as EON holds the rights, Bond will wear an Omega.
  • AugustWalkerAugustWalker Posts: 880MI6 Agent
    sirso wrote:

I think trying to compare the literary Bond to the movies is the wrong way to go. Movie Bond must be a wealthy man winning various poker games, Aston Martins, living in an expensive flat in London or wearing expensive suits. The list is endless...

And quite frankly, a cheap Bond running around with a casio calculator watch is probably not the type of thing the general audience would associate with 'gentleman spy'...
    The name is Walker by the way.

IG: @thebondarchives
    Check it out, you won’t be disappointed :)
    Moore got away with wearing a digital watch in three Bond films. But I take your point.

I think Bond should wear a Rolex, although I am sensitive to the fact that modern Rolex, like Omega, has little in common with what it was in the 1960s.

Also modern Rolexes are far more expensive than they were in the 1950s, when the novels were written. Then a Rolex would be the equivalent cost of around £300, now they are around £7000. So Bond should perhaps today wear a £300 watch.
    sirso wrote:

I think Bond should wear a Rolex, although I am sensitive to the fact that modern Rolex, like Omega, has little in common with what it was in the 1960s.

Also modern Rolexes are far more expensive than they were in the 1950s, when the novels were written. Then a Rolex would be the equivalent cost of around £300, now they are around £7000. So Bond should perhaps today wear a £300 watch.

Your point is valid, however, Bond - both film and literary - has always been an aspirational character. The little idiosyncrasies, which came originally from Fleming’s own life, always set Bond apart, and made him somewhat absurd. That’s a big part of the formula. I’m not interested in seeing Bond wear an ordinary watch, just like I don’t want him wearing off-the-peg suits or driving a BMW. Yes, he has done all of these things at various times, but it shouldn’t be the norm or else he just becomes another generic action hero.
  • UNCLE27UNCLE27 EnglandPosts: 1,114MI6 Agent
    Bond is not just on a Civil Servants pay. He would also have his Military pension on top plus of course his inheritance from his wealthy parents. He is very well off and would have a ‘Military’ taste in watches, stylish and functional. His ‘choice’ of Omega does actually fit rather well here. As would a Rolex Submariner or Explorer. Remember, both in the books and the films, he had an eye for life’s little luxuries.
  • CB0012CB0012 Posts: 110MI6 Agent
    sirso wrote:
    Moore got away with wearing a digital watch in three Bond films. But I take your point.

For the time those Seikos were cutting edge and hot items. Obviously Seiko had an agreement (obviously no where near the deal Omega has) so they were clearly in the same mindset as Omega to have their latest and greatest heavily featured in probably what is the greatest promotional tool for watches IMO.

But for me comparing literary Bond and screen Bond is apples and oranges.

As far as now if we were going to imagine a "practical Bond" I could see him wearing a simple military G-Shock or something for the right type of combat scenario. Save Rolex, Omega or whatever you want for MI6 issued equipment and then something similar that Bond splurges on for personal use. *

*It still irks me why Craig is wearing the Aqua Terra throughout Skyfall when he was clearly wearing it before he was cleared for active duty. Unless MI6 deemed his personal watch as suitable equipment to use on assignment and should reimburse him for any damages on duty.... but there I go again
  • CajunCajun Posts: 481MI6 Agent
    UNCLE27 wrote:
    Bond is not just on a Civil Servants pay. He would also have his Military pension on top plus of course his inheritance from his wealthy parents. He is very well off and would have a ‘Military’ taste in watches, stylish and functional.
    This.

Much of Bond's allure is his toys and tastes whether they're in reach for the rest of us or not. While product placement has always had an influence on the franchise, I would like to see a bit more variety in his toolbox. A black CWC diver on an operation as a proper yet practical homage to his past perhaps.
    I edit, therefore I am.
  • Bond44Bond44 Vauxhall CrossPosts: 1,581MI6 Agent
    Well if it was going to be an omega 300 on a mesh - this is the combo it should have been :))

Cheers :007)

1-A576-E34-161-C-445-A-B311-4-D9-F6281-A6-C0.jpg
    My name is Bond, Basildon Bond - I have letters after my name!
  • JellyfishJellyfish EnglandPosts: 461MI6 Agent
    Bond44 wrote:
    Well if it was going to be an omega 300 on a mesh - this is the combo it should have been :))

I've always thought that that is a really beautiful watch. -{
  • James BoldmanJames Boldman Amherst, MAPosts: 461MI6 Agent
    Does Omega sell a mesh watch strap? I couldn't find it.
  • emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,686MI6 Agent
    Asp9mm wrote:
    That’s a stunt watch. Don’t take in too much re the finish as it’s 3D printed then spray finished. It’s a small case size as I previously said. Don’t go buying anything. It’s not standard

I think it's probably real as, by the looks of the photos, it's keeping time! :)
  • CajunCajun Posts: 481MI6 Agent
    emtiem wrote:
    Asp9mm wrote:

I think it's probably real as, by the looks of the photos, it's keeping time! :)
    *Gasp* How dare you. :))
    I edit, therefore I am.
  • Bond44Bond44 Vauxhall CrossPosts: 1,581MI6 Agent
    edited July 2019
    Does Omega sell a mesh watch strap? I couldn't find it.

Yes they offer two types older mesh with airline seat belt type clasp in 22 and 20mm or newer with polprof type clasp and sold tube for the spring bar attachment.

Otto Frei used to stock both

My name is Bond, Basildon Bond - I have letters after my name!
  • CommandantCommandant Posts: 1,367MI6 Agent
    20190623-194909.jpg
  • MikeG77MikeG77 Posts: 1,770MI6 Agent
    Commandant wrote:
    20190623-194909.jpg

Part of me says I shouldn't laugh at this meme but I can't help it :))
    I know where you keep your gun!
  • bonspybonspy Virginia 20505Posts: 38MI6 Agent
    I have an Omega Seamaster 300 and if it looks as good as yours does on a stainless steel mesh band, I will be thrilled.

Yours looks superb!

Best regards-

kia

Bond44 wrote:

Tertia Optio
    Latebra Factum
    Veritas Vos Liberabit